Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry with Lopetegui is the performances.

We lose convincingly yet we scrape for every point.

The run of wins at home isn't sustainable IMO. Far too many fine margins that went our way. There's no style of play in a positive sense.

However, it should be noted his time here was only ever about results - and he delivered emphatically.

I don't actually think a Lopetegui side would go down next season, so I recognise the risk of replacing him, but equally so, we're dull, boring, and going nowhere.

He hasn't got more out of Nunes. He hasn't really improved any individual. We've survived because we went 'old-school'. The traditional English centre-back in (Dawson). A 4-4-2. A target man. Work hard, narrow, hard to beat.

Don't get me wrong, it's what we needed, so no complaints, but equally so, is this what the next few years hold? Is it worth it?
Nunes has definitely been better since the World Cup than before it. If JL didn't get more out of him, who the **** did?

Murderonzidanesfloor

Reaction score
We’re the eighth largest net spenders in Europe over the last 5 years - let that sink in!!

For me, it’s not about backing the Manager or spending big money, it’s about how we set ourselves up for success going forwards.

In essence, we need to change our model. The likes of Brentford and Brighton are great examples of ‘smaller’ clubs who recruit based on scientific data, knowledge and expertise via transfer panels, not relying on the Head Coach’s insistence alone or over reliance on a specific agent helping them.

Is Lopi the man for that cultural change or task? Not sure he is. But even more importantly, I’m not sure Jeff Shi is either.

Good signs are Lemina and Dawson (lower spend, good experience) to get us out of a bind this season, and Gomes (South American market easier to recruit from post Brexit).

I’d like to see us change model quickly, i.e. this summer, and if Lopi isn’t part of that, so be it.

De Zerbi and Thomas Frank are proof you don’t have to recruit on elite pedigree alone from hereon in.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Hilarious to see so many saying **** lopetegui off and get someone else in and giving zero thought to who that someone might actually be.
I believe he's available again.

soccer-hey-there.gif

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hilarious to see so many saying **** lopetegui off and get someone else in and giving zero thought to who that someone might actually be.
Would be Beale 2.0, some seriously deluded posters on here thinking we're an attractive prospect, we're not, especially with no money to spend.

This squad is hugely unbalanced and badly lacking on quality, the job Lopetegui has done is extremely impressive.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

.....who would be in exactly the same financial situation with the same problems to deal with..

It's disappointing to hear, but it doesn't change anything really.
All managers have to wheel and deal, we have been lucky because we've been funded from external money, lots of clubs have never had that.
Lopetegui has form for bringing in low cost signings and making teams that play above themselves....can anybody name the Sevilla team who beat us and won the Europa League? No superstars in that team.
Maybe he is just setting realistic expectatations, and then he needs to decide if he wants a piece of that himself? As an ex-Spain, Real Madrid, Sevilla manager with a winning European record, he could probably find a club with more money to spend tomorrow.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has done his job kept us up . If the circus decide we are not spending then get rid tomorrow. As we will be ****ed come August when he walks away and left with Steve Davis running the show .

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sums it up in recent times guo is never here really . Yes not expecting every game but they are losing interest imo

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sums it up in recent times guo is never here really . Yes not expecting every game but they are losing interest imo

Don't think we've seen him at more than five games a season since they took over? Very rare. We spent some big money last summer and in January, while also making themselves lose face by begging a bloke to become manager after he previously rejected them just a few weeks before. Think you can safely assume interest is still there.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How are they? They’ve spent an absolute fortune the past 12 months!
Shi has certainly done his best to waste any investment in the last few years on his vanity project in Fabio and overpriced Mendes clients like Guedes and Nunes.

The bloke is so far out of his depth, got away with murder this season.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The other idea could be we are gearing up to sell hence no contracts being renewed and no idea of budgets

Either way clarity needs to be given!!! it’s a mess from the top down

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It could well be a financial thing now.

Managers rarely ever resign. Lopetegui has two years on his contract, and I presume the same applies to all his backroom team.

Why would he just walk away from that?

For us, if we've got financial troubles, we won't want to pay out for Lopetegui and all his staff. I could drag on and on.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is clear as mud . But the invisible man would make more sense as like many things Shi and Fosun seem to lack coming out and clearing things up .Which to me means we are ****ed by FFP and need to sell multiple players before we can sign anyone . So who will come here to manage under these circumstances that is decent? Not many we will end up with Lage mark 2 you watch

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve probably been told ahead of time to find new clubs because they’re now surplus to requirements. He hasn’t ‘lost the dressing room’, he's clearing out the dressing room.
That happens every season at every club but that doesn’t stop those players making themselves available or attending the final home game.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The other idea could be we are gearing up to sell hence no contracts being renewed and no idea of budgets

Either way clarity needs to be given!!! it’s a mess from the top down
It's three contracts that are expiring. Costa FFS, Moutinho who's past his best and not worth six figures a week and Adama.

Reactions: Ned

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On what grounds do you think that ?
Several reasons give me confidence.

Fosun have had a taste of partial success, …..twice 7th. finishes, a FA semi and a quarter in the Europa.
Surely they like more of that, is my thinking.

Last 3 seasons have been very bad but especially this season when we were in real danger of relegation. It’s reasonable to presume that Fosun don’t want any more of that. So, they bring in an elite coach and I suspect that JL only accepted the job is if he was assured that Wolves are ambitious and prepared to spend to improve the squad. ( it’s kinda like pizza and beer…..you can’t have one without the other :))
Plus, for one reason or another, some players will probably be leaving and need replacing.
Other players, although still under contract but they too need upgrading.

Who knows, maybe my confidence,( and hope), in this window is misplaced….hope not.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We’re the eighth largest net spenders in Europe over the last 5 years - let that sink in!!

For me, it’s not about backing the Manager or spending big money, it’s about how we set ourselves up for success going forwards.

In essence, we need to change our model. The likes of Brentford and Brighton are great examples of ‘smaller’ clubs who recruit based on scientific data, knowledge and expertise via transfer panels, not relying on the Head Coach’s insistence alone or over reliance on a specific agent helping them.

Is Lopi the man for that cultural change or task? Not sure he is. But even more importantly, I’m not sure Jeff Shi is either.

Good signs are Lemina and Dawson (lower spend, good experience) to get us out of a bind this season, and Gomes (South American market easier to recruit from post Brexit).

I’d like to see us change model quickly, i.e. this summer, and if Lopi isn’t part of that, so be it.

De Zerbi and Thomas Frank are proof you don’t have to recruit on elite pedigree alone from hereon in.
The model needs changing and we need to move away from a reliance on Mendes imo. JL obviously wants this and I do wonder if Shi is becoming a little bit more receptive than in the past but is still caught between two stools here.

Sounds like there was a falling out over Gomes (where Mendes reportedly tried to help Lyon sign him) and also over some of the other Jan signings (Dawson and Lemina) where Mendes’ alternatives were snubbed.

Be interesting to see if a bunch of Mendes clients move on over the summer (Sa, Neto, Ait-Nouri, Neves, Traore, Guedes, Nunes) or if Shi makes up with Jorge and jumps back into bed.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I actually want him to stay and get on the job and work with whatever he has got. Two things are clear from his interviews, he is rather looking for money, or the sack. Not many people know the answer to that question. The public declarations are pushing Wolves to do one or the other.
It doesn't matter if you blame Lopetegui, or Fosun, the outcome is the same, the declarations are damaging our football club.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
The thing that stinks for me is this…

If we knew we had financial troubles… why agree to an obligatory clause for Cunha for £50-60M or whatever the figure ended up being? It makes absolutely no sense, especially for a non scoring forward.

That’s not to say he’s no good, but it’s a weird move

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eventhough we spent a small fortune since Lopetegui became manager, I thought we were going down and am happy we are still in the Premier League. And the manager has to get credit for that.
A touch of reality, apart from at Oporto, where Lopetegui bought 7 Spanish players, he has not been responsible for buying players anywhere else. At Sevilla, is was Monchi, and Lopetegui was asked what positions he needed covering. Monchi then sometimes gave him an option of several players, but Monchi would be the main man. His best 2.5 years coincided, with Sevillas biggest spend in their history. As soon as Monchi had to cash in on a few of his high profile players, Sevilla plummeted. I will leave it for other people to decide if Sevilla were an average 2 places higher because of their record spend, or does Lopetegui take the credit. The same as I will leave it to others to deduce, was it Lopetegui 's real level when they cut back to their normal spend, sold their stars and plummeted.
What we do know is Lopetegui is in his late 50's has come to a new country, new league and new language. Many of the other foreign managers, were younger when they came here the first time and had more transfer experience. In his 20 years as manager, he has 3 has years maximum of success at league level, but it is true he did very well with youngsters at international level and in the qualifying rounds of international tournaments. This is a good attribute, but I am not too sure if it means too much at club level. We will have to see. If you were Fosun, would you want to open your cheque book to a manager with very little transfer experience?
It is clear that we need to change our squad radically. I think personally that Lopetegui has done well to get results and to be frank, that is all that has mattered. If it wasn't for him we would probably have been in the Championship today and for that reason he deserves a throw of the dice.
I am not sure if his head has been turned, or if he doesn't fancy the challenge, but for me, he deserves Credit and should be backed.

That’s a fair and balanced post. I guess you could summarise his club record as when backed, he has delivered success, and when he isn’t, he has struggled. So given Jeff must surely know this when he hired him, then it would be illogical not to back him.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we can only live to our means and not put the future of the club in jeopardy via FFP so if JL can’t accept that then maybe he needs to walk?
Fosun have spent big for us this season, as much as we could push to, probably forced by our league position in January. But yet again buying players from abroad takes time for them to settle, we can see this with Nunes, Sarabia, Cunha, Gomes. None have come in and got the ground running and combined just of cost us over 100 million

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing that stinks for me is this…

If we knew we had financial troubles… why agree to an obligatory clause for Cunha for £50-60M or whatever the figure ended up being? It makes absolutely no sense, especially for a non scoring forward.

That’s not to say he’s no good, but it’s a weird move
They probably didn't realise they were at the time.....FFP is a smokescreen for the fact that FOSUN don't want to bankroll the club's spending anymore and while that's obviously a legitimate choice (as Phillips says in his article to be fair), the consequences could be immensely damaging with how poor the squad is.

The valuation of the club would go from the hundreds of millions in the PL to the tens of millions in the Champ.

If FOSUN don't have the stomach to continue investing then they should really get out now because the value of their asset could well massively depreciate in the near future.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we can only live to our means and not put the future of the club in jeopardy via FFP so if JL can’t accept that then maybe he needs to walk?
Fosun have spent big for us this season, as much as we could push to, probably forced by our league position in January. But yet again buying players from abroad takes time for them to settle, we can see this with Nunes, Sarabia, Cunha, Gomes. None have come in and got the ground running and combined just of cost us over 100 million
As said, FFP is a smokescreen, we are not in danger of breaking it, how can we be with a bottom half wage bill? Transfer spending is one thing but it's wages that really **** up clubs' finances, as Everton have shown. We're around 13th.....

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has done his job kept us up . If the circus decide we are not spending then get rid tomorrow. As we will be ****ed come August when he walks away and left with Steve Davis running the show .
The likes of Ruben Selles, Dean Smith and Sam Allardyce will be available though!

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s a fair and balanced post. I guess you could summarise his club record as when backed, he has delivered success, and when he isn’t, he has struggled. So given Jeff must surely know this when he hired him, then it would be illogical not to back him.

I am not sure about this, but would think he had a bigger spend in the winter transfer market than he has had in any other transfer market.
Maybe he thought that money was separate from the budget. I don't know and none of us do.
I would like them to resolve it behind closed doors, as It isn't doing our club any good, hopefully they do resolve it. I think blaming the club or him with out knowing all the facts and both sides of the story won't get us anywhere.
I do think we need to concentrate on buying players who are actually going to make us a better team, instead of the business plan we have had.

Back
Top Bottom