Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think each time Collins has been out of the side he has been poor on returning. He needs matches to get back to his best. Something for the coaches to work on.
some players need games.
he’s also very young. how about we all support and acknowledge the facts instead of getting our pitchforks out (not aimed at you)
Anyone else think Sa is leaving this summer?

And Neto not being there today makes me think he'll be off too.
i’d happily replace Sa. Bentley is ok but was trying too hard and got caught out a couple of times today.

Our squad is too big and players are
getting ****ed off.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Julen's first summer at Sevilla, he made 15 signings and 20 players left (12 of them on loan). They finished 4th that season. He's going to be given the freedom to build the squad in his style now.
I think he’s earned the chance to do exactly that. A decent start, a decent pedigree, could end up another “if/but” if he isn’t backed.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins was alright today, not sure where the agenda comes from.
You think?? I have no issue with Collins as such and think he'll be a very good player in the future but thought he was awful today. Terrible body language too, hit a pass out towards Semedo in the second half that may have actually cleared the Everton fans and just stood looking, bemoaning himself, like it was all too much

Like I say I think he'll be good, today though, nowhere near it

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You think?? I have no issue with Collins as such and think he'll be a very good player in the future but thought he was awful today. Terrible body language too, hit a pass out towards Semedo in the second half that may have actually cleared the Everton fans and just stood looking, bemoaning himself, like it was all too much

Like I say I think he'll be good, today though, nowhere near it
Yeah he was largely a bomb scare today: either not reading the ball to go and win the header, letting things bounce and Everton pick up possession as a result or having the time to win an unchallenged header and simply heading it into no-mans land, hitting the ball straight back to Everton under no pressure and getting the general runaround all the while by DCL (thankfully he broke as usual).

He really needs to go and play regularly in the Championship for a year a la MGW and see if he can get his game back together. We really can't do anything with him at this stage. He was actually no better or worse than Kilman under Lage but he looks significantly worse now (maybe a lack of game time if you're being generous). It's incredible what an idiotic plan Shi, Sellars and Lage were enacting when it came to our defence last summer.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His pace is gone, for now at least. Hope he can recover it over the summer.
It must be frustrating for him after his injuries, but he has proved he has the ability to be a top player in the Premier League (hopefully with us).

Get a full pre seasons training into him and hopefully he will get back to his best.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins was only bad in possession.

I'm still of the belief that a defenders jobs is to defend. Kilman is far more comfortable on the ball, but he cost us a goal last week and it was hardly mentioned.

Collins' passing is awful but he defended well. He won some huge headers for us late on where if they'd have won the header they'd have a one on one.

To be honest, he's so similar to Dawson, but it seems people have made their minds up.

Dawson backs off, like Collins, because he doesn't want to defend on the front foot. But they'll both head it, kick it etc.

Dawson also at fault for their equaliser wasn't he? Gave away a needless corner that ended up leading to their goal.

Collins needs to improve his passing but we defended pretty well today.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our squad is too big and players are
getting ****ed off.

Bloody hell, 6 months ago most people were saying that our squad was too small and their was no competition for places.

We have now got what we needed and no player is guaranteed a regular start.

Without the competition in the squad, we would have been relegation bound Imo!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell, 6 months ago most people were saying that our squad was too small and their was no competition for places.

We have now got what we needed and no player is guaranteed a regular start.

Without the competition in the squad, we would have been relegation bound Imo!
never liked a bloated squad

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The list of players I feel pretty certain will be here next season isn’t huge. Infact it works out to about 11 and 2 of those are coming back from long term injuries:

Bentley, Dawson, Bueno, Toti, Gomes, Collins, Lemina, B Traore, Chiquinho, Cunha and Sasa.

Traore, Moutinho and Costa are almost certainly gone. So too Jimenez, Jonny, RAN, Guedes, Coady and Neves in all likelihood. Add to that, there’s a large group of players for whom there is at least a chance of being moved on - Sa, Semedo, Kilman, Podence, Hwang, Sarabia, Neto and Nunes. Not all will obvs, but one or two possibly? Not sure on returning loans either - Silva and Cundle I wouldn’t be surprised to see go out again, good chance we sell Giles, Sarkic and Sanderson?

Big summer ahead.Lots to do and lots to sort out. We need to add some quality and bring in a CB, RB, CM, Winger and a Striker whatever happens? Possibly even a GK?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does make you wonder where these Journos get their stories from
In less than 48hrs Keen has had to change his story about 3 times lol
He may be right about FFP issues but they are not insurmountable

Fosun have written off sums in the past and can do so again
We can sell a few and get funds that way
We can loan players out and cut the wage bill
All easily done

The idea that we cant or wont sign players is crazy
No one expects a plethora of £50 million players rolling up,but i can see 4/5 at circa £20 mil plus being signed without too much trouble
JL says he wasnt aware of these circumstances,but hopes they can be resolved as do i
Fed bad intel….. clubs do it all the time to see who the leaks are and where they end up.

Clubs don’t mind as much when they land on forums but get super angry and move to disciplinary when it is papers/news sources like Romano.

Last year a top 6 club sacked a person for a “tester” story that ended up in the mail and telegraph!

At one mates club a person was given a written warning when a move the club wanted to be a ‘“shock and amazing” signing leaked onto a forum as all the buzz and hype was dented loads when it was announced compared to how buzzing their fan boards were.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins was alright today, not sure where the agenda comes from.
Technically any person who argues for and against something has an agenda…..

It is only used one way to describe the negative opinion on here though.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think only one of Collins or Kilman will be here next season. More likely Collins tbh as I expect bids may come for Kilman, but if not I could see Collins possibly being loaned out? He looks miles off being a consistent, dependable starter at this stage, and we aren’t good enough to play him and wait until he is (if that ever even happens). I’d be amazed if we don’t bring in at least one other CB. We’ve already seen links to Garcia, Danso and Mavrapanos who all sound pretty handy?

It still stuns me to think that last summer we replaced Coady, Boly, Saiss and Donk with a solitary Nathan Collins. Hopefully no reckless nonsense like that this summer.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could Pablo Fornals do a job for us if were going to be culling some of the squad? Doesn't get a huge amount of game time at West Ham, Spanish, gets a few goals. Not a rumour.
I think there was a rumour back in Jan. Is he available on a free this summer?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope jeff shi stays away from footballing decisions. Guedes for gibbs-white has cost us a shed load of money.

Wolves chairman Jeff Shi said: "At Wolves, we have been consistently working hard to improve our academy, and in the last six years I have seen the growth of Morgan from a teenager to a fully-fledged Premier League player, which epitomises our efforts and achievements for young players.

"Morgan’s natural talent, hard work and dedication, combined with the excellent coaches he has worked with throughout his development here at Wolves, was the perfect recipe for him to grow into the exciting young footballer he is today.

"Morgan leaves as the most valuable Wolves Academy graduate in the club’s history and will be an inspiration to the next generation of young players in our academy today. I look forward to more and more of them fulfilling their potential at Wolves.

"We place on record our sincere thanks to Morgan for his effort and enthusiasm over the 14 years he has been at the club and wish him the very best of luck in the next stage of his career."

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Collins is getting a lot of stick for a poor performance (which it was) but let’s not forget that Calvert-Lewin causes problems for the best defenders in the league. He was poor yesterday (but not the worst - Podence for example) but he certainly has potential. I’m not sure he’s quite ready to be a first choice premier league CB just yet and needs to develop his game - particularly his positioning and heading ability. For someone so tall, the amount of aerial duels he loses is staggering. A new CB is a must this summer for me, but is just behind the urgent need for a new strike force.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it’s certainly going to be a very interesting summer. Clearly not all is well behind the scenes with all of the players, whether that is because they’ve been told they’re no longer required or whatever I don’t know. There is certainly going to be a massive overhaul of the squad.

Given their absence yesterday Moutinho, Jonny and RAN look like they’ll be leaving. Neto and Podence being absent from the lap (I think) also makes me think they aren’t happy and may be off. Raul obviously seems to be on his way out. Question mark over Adama’s contract. Question mark over Costa’s contract. Neves hoping to leave. That’s 9 players straight away.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It still stuns me to think that last summer we replaced Coady, Boly, Saiss and Donk with a solitary Nathan Collins. Hopefully no reckless nonsense like that this summer.
To be fair, that’s not quite what we did.

We replaced Saiss with Collins, Coady with a switch from playing with 3 CB’s to 2 CB’s and intended on replacing Boly with Dawson. If we’d got Dawson in the summer that would have made a huge difference, when we didn’t I imagine we’d have preferred to keep Boly but he obviously wanted the move.

The issue wasn’t that that was our plan, as our plan in theory was fine. It was that at the end of another summer window we tripped up right before the finish line again and missed a target we thought we’d get.

(I haven’t included Dendoncker because he was rarely an option in a back 3 in more recent times and certainly wouldn’t have been one in a back 4).

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope jeff shi stays away from footballing decisions. Guedes for gibbs-white has cost us a shed load of money.

Wolves chairman Jeff Shi said: "At Wolves, we have been consistently working hard to improve our academy, and in the last six years I have seen the growth of Morgan from a teenager to a fully-fledged Premier League player, which epitomises our efforts and achievements for young players.

"Morgan’s natural talent, hard work and dedication, combined with the excellent coaches he has worked with throughout his development here at Wolves, was the perfect recipe for him to grow into the exciting young footballer he is today.

"Morgan leaves as the most valuable Wolves Academy graduate in the club’s history and will be an inspiration to the next generation of young players in our academy today. I look forward to more and more of them fulfilling their potential at Wolves.

"We place on record our sincere thanks to Morgan for his effort and enthusiasm over the 14 years he has been at the club and wish him the very best of luck in the next stage of his career."
Two different decisions. Gibbs-White didn’t want stay here after he felt snubbed by Nuno. He didn’t fancy Lage. Neither were guaranteeing him a start. His missus didn’t help his relationship with fans and probably club.

Guedes was part of the Mendes Carousel and hopefully proves to Jeff et al that Mendes only does himeself favours.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your agenda never ceases, fair play.

When comes to Sendeo being a waste of good oxygen can I please join the club.

I have been watching football for 50 years and Semedo is a **** poor defender, constantly out of position, gets caught on the ball, weak, next to useless in attack, cost a fortune to buy and steals a living.

I don't hate the guy, I am sure he is a nice lad and he loves his mom.

But I just fail to see how is in any way a half competent fullback / wingback - I wouldn't pay him in washers.

The only reason to trigger his 2 year option is in the vague hope he gets better or some fool offers us some cash.

I can tell you now at least half the fullbacks in the championship would do a better job and probably a quarter of the fullbacks in league one would be directly responsible for less mistakes if they played in this side.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it’s certainly going to be a very interesting summer. Clearly not all is well behind the scenes with all of the players, whether that is because they’ve been told they’re no longer required or whatever I don’t know. There is certainly going to be a massive overhaul of the squad.

Given their absence yesterday Moutinho, Jonny and RAN look like they’ll be leaving. Neto and Podence being absent from the lap (I think) also makes me think they aren’t happy and may be off. Raul obviously seems to be on his way out. Question mark over Adama’s contract. Question mark over Costa’s contract. Neves hoping to leave. That’s 9 players straight away.
Podence did the lap of honour.

He’s also on the video congratulating Neves for his award.

Neto I didn’t see. Some have said he was in plain clothes, someone on twitter said he left at 2:20. So who knows.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence did the lap of honour.

He’s also on the video congratulating Neves for his award.

Neto I didn’t see. Some have said he was in plain clothes, someone on twitter said he left at 2:20. So who knows.
Ah ok, thanks. That’s good to know. Hope Neto was out there.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m surprised some of the ITKs have not chipped in to be honest with something to substantiate the absence of Neto, Jonny, Mouts & RAN.

I’d struggle to think that Lopetegui would have chosen to say to some players ”you’re not in my plans for next year” when we had 2 games to go?

anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, that’s not quite what we did.

We replaced Saiss with Collins, Coady with a switch from playing with 3 CB’s to 2 CB’s and intended on replacing Boly with Dawson. If we’d got Dawson in the summer that would have made a huge difference, when we didn’t I imagine we’d have preferred to keep Boly but he obviously wanted the move.

The issue wasn’t that that was our plan, as our plan in theory was fine. It was that at the end of another summer window we tripped up right before the finish line again and missed a target we thought we’d get.

(I haven’t included Dendoncker because he was rarely an option in a back 3 in more recent times and certainly wouldn’t have been one in a back 4).
It wasn’t the plan I’m sure, but its pretty much exactly what they delivered. 4 internationals that could play at CB out the door and Nathan Collins in. Yes I know the intention had been to sign Dawson and the rug got pulled, but the lack of a back up signing was a shocker. Had we ended up relegated this season, that **** up would have been a pretty big factor.

We already had Gomes and Kilman as younger developing players, the priority from the get go should have always been on a more experienced CB IMV, with Dawson perhaps coming in as well. Hindsight it 20-20 I know, but like many at the time, I was quite anxious about what the club were doing.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What we desperately need is men of substance. Mouthinho, Neves, Coady , Saiss and Patricio helped us get to Europe. .
I see no men prepared to lead or carry the team through bad spots. Can anyone name such a man in our current squad bar Dawson ?
Very worrying , lets hope JL can call on some experienced men of character.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What we desperately need is men of substance. Mouthinho, Neves, Coady , Saiss and Patricio helped us get to Europe. .
I see no men prepared to lead or carry the team through bad spots. Can anyone name such a man in our current squad bar Dawson ?
Very worrying , lets hope JL can call on some experienced men of character.

Surely these lot went through the worst bad spot we've had since returning and did it ten fold of staying up? So they do have some bottle..attacking quality is a different story.

Back
Top Bottom