Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Have Villa Owners more Ambition than The Wolves Owners ?

Have Villa Owners more ambition than Wolves (Fosun)?

• Total voters

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess 'mind the gap' is swinging in their favour.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was reading a variety of Gossip columns today and saw Villa linked with the likes of Vlahovic, whilst we are being told we haven't got the money to extend Semedo's contract. We both have similar incomings, outgoings and overheads so to paint a vastly different picture in the media is puzzling.

I was then reading about Barcelona and Real Madrid- Madrid wanting Mbappe and Alphonso whoever they fancy, whilst Barcelona apparently want Messi and Neymar back despite apparently having to sell everyone to be able to afford them...

And it got me to thinking... are Wolves just playing the role of the West Midlands' Barcelona, pleading poverty whilst making all sorts of deals, whilst Villa are playing the role of West Midlands' Real Madrid, bolshy and direct with willingness to spend but ultimately not doing particularly better or worse than cross-county counterparts?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was reading a variety of Gossip columns today and saw Villa linked with the likes of Vlahovic, whilst we are being told we haven't got the money to extend Semedo's contract. We both have similar incomings, outgoings and overheads so to paint a vastly different picture in the media is puzzling.

I was then reading about Barcelona and Real Madrid- Madrid wanting Mbappe and Alphonso whoever they fancy, whilst Barcelona apparently want Messi and Neymar back despite apparently having to sell everyone to be able to afford them...

And it got me to thinking... are Wolves just playing the role of the West Midlands' Barcelona, pleading poverty whilst making all sorts of deals, whilst Villa are playing the role of West Midlands' Real Madrid, bolshy and direct with willingness to spend but ultimately not doing particularly better or worse than cross-county counterparts?

Maybe. There's some differences, but the net spend since promotion has been similar (£67m net spend per season over 4 seasons for Villa, £57m net spend per season over 5 seasons for us).

Villa have been able to spend more recently as the Grealish £100m is still in their accounts. When that drops out, their spending will be hobbled a little.

Feels like Villa are doing everything they can to get into Europe to increase their revenues and try to push on. They are very bullish about their spending, but everyone is working to the same set of rules.

I do think we had an opportunity to do that after our two 7th place finishes, but Covid changed the course of our strategy. If Villa get to Europe, I can actually see them making a real go at top 4.

The main difference is they have is owners with no qualms about putting their hands in their pockets. That's not a criticism of Fosun at all, it's just more of a vanity project than an investment for the Villa owners.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa owners have invested big and regularly they are starting to see it pay off

Our owners backed us this far silly for them to give up now. Maybe they will find partial investment soon? We have been saying this for a while now!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa owners have invested big and regularly they are starting to see it pay off

Our owners backed us this far silly for them to give up now. Maybe they will find partial investment soon? We have been saying this for a while now!

Oh yeah, when are those new investors you were talking about a few months ago going to be announced?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh yeah, when are those new investors you were talking about a few months ago going to be announced?
Many people have been shown around that is no lie. Many have heard the same. Stumbling block I personally think is that Fosun only want to sell small parts of the club 10/40% they aren’t interested in selling 100% of Wolverhampton Wanderers as whole for some reason. Will that change? Time will tell.

There was American interest. That tailed off. Hopefully we can find someone to invest 100m into us and push us forward.

The Chinese owners we have now have been good to us. Have they lost interest or just looking for business partners?? We’ve had plenty of interest but nothing has yet to come from that. The peak6 investment was small and also back in 2021..

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose for me Villa are investing in their stadium , we haven't and don't look like doing so anytime soon, They seem to have more academy players that seem to be playing at a higher level than some of ours . And their owners don't seem to be thinking we need to sell before we buy even though their squad is of similar size .

Time will tell but you sit still as a club you drop like Leicester . You invest and you have more possibility of move up from where you currently are . As 9 times out of 10 you make improvements .

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still find it incredible that there were Wolves fans not wanting them to get relegated when they were in the **** and looking like liquidation, survived got new investment and now likely to leave us behind, what a surprise!!

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still find it incredible that there were Wolves fans not wanting them to get relegated when they were in the **** and looking like liquidation, survived got new investment and now likely to leave us behind, what a surprise!!
The won’t “leave us behind”.

Worse case scenarios is that we are both fighting to get into the European places.

However the scattergun approach with which they spend money could also see them become the next Everton.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Worse case scenarios is that we are both fighting to get into the European places.

However the scattergun approach with which they spend money could also see them become the next Everton.
Wouldn't even have been up for debate if they'd been relegated, same as previously when them and the **** in the play-offs, Vile were always the bigger threat . As for fighting for European places, no way I see us doing that in the foreseable future.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Abso-bloody-lutely

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the difference in spin is incredible from the two clubs though, given we are not radically different and in very similar boats economically.

If Wolves had been knocked back at the 11th hour by Alemany after he'd already quit Barcelona, we would be a laughing stock with E&S, Birmingham Mail and BBC going in on us, with a "Shock U-turn" headline and probably having a pop at Fosun and Mendes at the same time.

Villa do it, BBC aren't even reporting it and E&S still have it as "could remain at Barcelona" when it's clear he's said no thanks despite months of talks and an offer of far more money.

Our Strategic Comms/Public Affairs team are incredibly poor, especially when you consider our Social Media is so good!

Beckbury Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I suppose for me Villa are investing in their stadium , we haven't and don't look like doing so anytime soon, They seem to have more academy players that seem to be playing at a higher level than some of ours . And their owners don't seem to be thinking we need to sell before we buy even though their squad is of similar size .

Time will tell but you sit still as a club you drop like Leicester . You invest and you have more possibility of move up from where you currently are . As 9 times out of 10 you make improvements .
Another club you never hear FFP being mentioned of?!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't even have been up for debate if they'd been relegated, same as previously when them and the **** in the play-offs, Vile were always the bigger threat . As for fighting for European places, no way I see us doing that in the foreseable future.
The problem is that so many people were desperate for a local derby that they completely failed to see the bigger picture.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next season will be a defining one for both clubs which way the owners of the clubs are going and who will have the bragging rights for the gap again ??

With Leicester seemingly going down to the championship who will be the best PL Midlands club next season too ??

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next season will be a defining one for both clubs which way the owners of the clubs are going and who will have the bragging rights for the gap again ??

With Leicester seemingly going down to the championship who will be the best PL Midlands club next season too ??

Coventry City.. :)

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not really ambition. Villa owners are bored Billionaires who want to have a bit of fun and don't mind spending to do it. Wolves owners are an investment firm and every £1 spent has to be with an aim in mind. 2 completely different philosophies. Fosun have done right by Wolves so far.
Totally agree. Villa’s owners could soon get fed up if things don’t go to plan. They’re very much in the honeymoon period at the moment and the team is having a decent run. Things can turn quickly.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were also further behind villa in regards building the club back up from the positions both were in at new ownership times. We really can’t and shouldn’t question the input fosun have made imo. We’re a million miles away from where we were in every department when they came in

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree. Villa’s owners could soon get fed up if things don’t go to plan. They’re very much in the honeymoon period at the moment and the team is having a decent run. Things can turn quickly.
yeh people seem to forget Randy Lerner was pretty well off when he took over there

money doesnt equal success. the only thing im disappointed about in comparison to the two is the fact they are looking to upgrade the stadium

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't that just a club shop and a "box office", which is presumably just a ticket office?
Nah it's a "fan park" type thing too, this is the proposed inside:

f3f34e20-f62e-11ec-838c-9d264339682e.png

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nah it's a "fan park" type thing too, this is the proposed inside:

Aww, they've got inside trees, and little kids having a kick about?

Come on, imagine what it will look like in reality! It'll either be packed solely with people queuing to get beers, or it'll be £7.50 for a pint, £18 for fish and chips and it'll be deserted.

Bristol City have have got something that must've looked like this in the artist's impression - it's crap.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sorry mate but both of us fighting to get into Europe is nowhere near the worst case scenario.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Come on, imagine what it will look like in reality! It'll either be packed solely with people queuing to get beers, or it'll be £7.50 for a pint, £18 for fish and chips and it'll be deserted.

Bristol City have have got something that must've looked like this in the artist's impression - it's crap.
It's better than a few shipping containers in a car park that will only get used when it's not raining/freezing cold in a season that runs from August-May in England.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Doesn't matter. We are ultimately comparing our clubs offering (a couple mobile buildings in a car park) with Villa's.

Which is more ambitious from the owners?

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regardless of how ambitious either club is I think getting European football will be an incredibly tough ask next season. Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle, Arsenal, Man United all likely to improve with their far superior spending power. Villa's best hope would be to get conference league this year then win it to get in the europa league the year after

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. We are ultimately comparing our clubs offering (a couple mobile buildings in a car park) with Villa's.

Which is more ambitious from the owners?

Oh I'm sure Villa's is more ambitious. I'm just saying it'll be crap.

It's great to be able to have glossy documents and whizzy presentations where they talk about a vibrant multi-use space where fans can mingle and meet.

What do clubs really want to do when they build a fan park though? They want to make money from that vibrant space. So they'll charge far too much for drinks, and no-one will use it. People love them in America, but here, most fans just want to go to the pub, get a burger from a van, and then go to their seat.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure Villa's is more ambitious. I'm just saying it'll be crap.

It's great to be able to have glossy documents and whizzy presentations where they talk about a vibrant multi-use space where fans can mingle and meet.

What do clubs really want to do when they build a fan park though? They want to make money from that vibrant space. So they'll charge far too much for drinks, and no-one will use it. People love them in America, but here, most fans just want to go to the pub, get a burger from a van, and then go to their seat.
It works at Wembley because no one is a local.. but I am not so sure this works at a club level, because everyone has their frequented pubs and routine.

Maybe it’s to target the growing numbers of “new/international fans”..

Back
Top Bottom