Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What's your most upsetting moment as a Wolves fan?

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Losing to Liverpool in 1976 to consign us to my first relegation. I then lost a week's playtime at my primary school because a teacher caught me punching a plastic Liverpool fan in the mouth who thought it a good idea to mock me the day after !

The FA Cup Semi Final defeat to Spurs on the ' neutral ground ' of Arsenal. I felt when Willie Carr scored the last minute penalty in the first game at Hillsbrough our name was on the Cup. That game began a 42 year dislike of Garth Crooks that thanks to his crap column keeps getting stronger !

The 1987 Play Off defeat to Aldershot. I was convinced the way Wolves finished that season and then playing a side we finished 9 points clear of meant promotion was a mere formality. Mr Over- Confident here went down the local pub that Friday night and staggered home to read the score on Ceefax ! I woke up the next morning convinced that Aldershot 2 Wolves 0 was a Guinness induced hallucination and when I read the morning paper it would be a different score................ Sadly it was not but I felt sure we would crush them at Molineux on the Bank Holiday Monday................. Wolves 0 Aldershot 1. I barely spoke a word for days as I was so certain the Wolves revival had begun. It had, it just took the following fantastic League Title and Wembley Sherpa Van win to confirm it !

I am totally with @Bondi Wolf , the magic of the play off over The Blades was soon doused as Moxey got in Sir Jack's ear and told him the club did not need to buy anyone. I was disgusted and angry that after the first two games, a 5-1 thrashing at Blackburn and then 0-4 at home to Charlton it was obvious after waiting all those years Wolves were going to drop straight back down. Thinking about it now and with the gift of hindsight the arrival of Moxey and his years of having far too big a say is certainly one of my most upsetting moments.

The Watford Semi Final. I am old enough to remember when getting to the FA Cup meant something. I had seen 4 previous losses so when Raul made it 2-0 I really felt I was finally going to see us in a Cup Final. Then Delofeau scored that super goal and all that cruel mistress, Miss Momentum left us. I can still see the winning goal as if it was in slow motion ( or was that just Connor Coady trying to catch Delofeau ? ) I had a 4 hour train journey home with my two pals. We barely spoke a word. I thought that aged 54 that I had become immune to Wolves losses but no I had not. Actually, if there is a song that sums up being a Wolves fan it is " Another suitcase in another hall " from Evita as it features these lines.

I don't expect my love affairs to last for long, I never fool myself that my dreams will come true
Being used to trouble I anticipate it but all the same I hate it wouldn' t you ?

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny how we all reminisce about the “good old days” of 90s and early 00s yet so many bad memories are from that period.

- Bolton in the play offs
- Norwich in the play offs
- Crystal Palace in the play offs
- the choke season

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every bloody FA Cup Semi -Final since dirty Leeds at Maine Road

Bolton

Nuno

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d agreed that I would give my Watford-supporting brother-in-law a lift home from Watford station after the game (we made the short journey up to Wembley together with my Dad and son).

He (understandably) stayed a while to bask in the celebrations so I had to sit, in a state of pure numbness, outside the station for about an hour as thousands of jubilant Watford supporters filed past me.

That is the last thing you need! I would have been tempted to just let him make his own way home.

By far the worst I have ever felt over a game of football. Didn’t sleep at all that night and still felt numb for a good few days after.

Yeah, just remember sitting in a carriage full of silent Wolves fans all the way home. Numbness is a good way to describe it I think.

I’d agreed that I would give my Watford-supporting brother-in-law a lift home from Watford station after the game (we made the short journey up to Wembley together with my Dad and son).

Feel very guilty and embarrassed that my son saw me that depressed by a football result…particularly as 8-year old me vividly remembered my Dad being similarly silent on the walk back to the car having lost to Aldershot in the Play-Offs.

As an 8 year old, did that help to make you realise how important football and Wolves was to your Dad? Interesting that it became equally important to you. Hopefully it wasn't a bad experience seeing your Dad like that, but the long-term consequences maybe were positive in that you've inherited his love and passion for Wolves!

I used to feel the same about my son seeing me get emotional or frustrated about things, worried that it would set the wrong example.

Then I read something that actually it can help kids, as they generally get emotional and frustrated about loads of things and it's healthy for them to realise that you do too. Also helps them empathise with other people.

Trying to be Superman in the eyes of your kids can sometimes lead to damaging their confidence, as they don't think that you're ever hurt, upset, frustrated, etc and worry that something is wrong with them!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said, but in the playoffs there were a few moments in particular.

McAteer's goal for Bolton. We had been so dominant, bombarding an evergreen Shilton throughout the 90 minutes at Molineux and an away goal out of nothing was a real gut punch.

Probably the bigger one was Palace's injury time goal after Jamie Smith had scored our away goal moments before. I remember I didn't speak on the coach journey back and barely said anything for days. It was the contrast between moments of sheer elation then the reality check almost immediately that did it I think.

Watford in the semi final was pretty similar, although it was coming longer than a few minutes unfortunately.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Robbie Keane leaving was my first real heartbreak as a fan. I started going in 97 during his debut season and immediately he was my favorite player. In the school playground I copied the way he ran, his daft celebration, haircut, you name it. I remember being on the bus home and seeing the E&S board outside the newsagents by the Vine Chip Shop saying we'd accepted a bid from Coventry. Yeh, that was crap.

But nothing will compare to the Watford game. Playoffs hurt, of course. But you knew deep down we'd have a fairly decent chance of being there again the following year. 2-0 up, and minutes away from an FA Cup Final? Nah, that isn't going to come around again any time soon. That will always haunt me. I wasn't even angry on the way home. Just completely numb. Took me 3-4 days to really stop thinking about.

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
That is the last thing you need! I would have been tempted to just let him make his own way home.

Yeah, just remember sitting in a carriage full of silent Wolves fans all the way home. Numbness is a good way to describe it I think.

As an 8 year old, did that help to make you realise how important football and Wolves was to your Dad? Interesting that it became equally important to you. Hopefully it wasn't a bad experience seeing your Dad like that, but the long-term consequences maybe were positive in that you've inherited his love and passion for Wolves!

I used to feel the same about my son seeing me get emotional or frustrated about things, worried that it would set the wrong example.

Then I read something that actually it can help kids, as they generally get emotional and frustrated about loads of things and it's healthy for them to realise that you do too. Also helps them empathise with other people.

Trying to be Superman in the eyes of your kids can sometimes lead to damaging their confidence, as they don't think that you're ever hurt, upset, frustrated, etc and worry that something is wrong with them!

This about hits the nail on the head for that : Waiting for Superman, for all Superman Dads, puts a lump in the throat....

Don't watch before lunch though !!! #Flaming Lips

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
Comfortably the worst/most upsetting moment for me. Followed by the worst train journey home.

My other half and I stayed in the Premier Inn next to Wembley for a couple of days. We barely spoke to each other for a whole day after the game, such was the devastation we felt.
Nuno leaving was also a very, very sad occasion.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was absolutely gutted that night
Remember singing in the North Bank We’re not going to Blackpool at half time, all went pear shaped second half
Cant remember singing "We're not going to Blackpool"
.... but I did go to Blackpool, .... and Hereford, .... and Bolton. All very memorable for different reasons.
Don Everall travel from Faulkland Street. Different times.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The choke season was bad, that was my first gutting moment as a Wolves supprter.

The FA Cup Semi was a sickener as well, got out of Wembley as quick as possible and went straight to bed. Even with City in the final I’d have fancied us to beat anyone at that point, which for me made it worse.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Probably like fans of most clubs there's been a fair few gut wrenching moments over the years.

Possibly my worst was Brighton away last game of the 2012/13 season, where relegation to League 1 was confirmed, O'hara laughed when getting stick for not pulling his weight (which actually would have been pretty difficult considering his lack of fitness) and to cap it all the Brighton fans actually feeling sorry for us and singing about how our board had *****d it up.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same as most on here:

Bolton
Palace
Norwich
SJH pulling the plug at the exact wrong moment and the damp squib season that followed
Watford - was sat in Club Wembley and found myself surrounded by Watford fans. I managed to punch my leg in anger so hard that it hurt to walk for a week... I've been battered by Wolves so much over the years that I can usually slip into mellow, resigned to disappointment Wolves fan mode.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An odd one but losing in the last minute 2-1 to Arsenal at Highbury in the FA Cup third round in 1978. In those days the FA Cup meant something and to go out early was always gutting.
Bob Hazell had marked Malcom Macdonald out of the game for 89 minutes, then got himself sent off. Macdonald scored from the corner.
ps Hibbitt's goal was spectacular.
Yep I was in the Clock End. Hazell was sent off in stoppage time front of the "fake" North Bank.
Chelsea fans turned up too as their game was off with a frozen pitch, Arsenal being the first club to have undersoil heating.
.... it was the 4th round though. We had a cracking tie at Exeter in the 3rd round.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny how we all reminisce about the “good old days” of 90s and early 00s yet so many bad memories are from that period.

- Bolton in the play offs
- Norwich in the play offs
- Crystal Palace in the play offs
- the choke season
I don't get the nostalgia for the 90's. To me it was a horrid, wasted decade and the reason why we aren't established in the top 6. If we could have got in on the start of the Premier League and with Sir Jack's money we could have established ourselves at the top end and not be so far behind now

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the thread on Nuno got me thinking of how I felt when I heard the news and how that compared to other moments I've felt devastated as a Wolves fan. I narrowed it down to my top 5

5. FA Cup semi-final v Watford and Delofeu scores in extra time. You knew we weren't going to come back and our chance of winning the FA cup had gone. I honestly think we could have beaten City in the final
4. Wolves 4 Millwall 2. Last day of the 14/15 season. It wasn't the thought that we'd just missed out on the play-offs, it was seeing Sako doing a lap of honour with tears in his eyes and knowing I would never see him, Dicko and Afobe together again. They really were a magical front 3
3. Wolves 0 Bolton 2. No need to say more. It was the moment I realised I would never see Bully in the Premier League.
2. It's announced on TalkSport that Nuno will be leaving at the end of the season. God I loved that man!
1. 13 July 1999. If you know, you know, and you know why.
SGB.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
UEFA Cup Final 1972. The better team over 2 legs and would have given us a European trophy . I've hated Spurs ever since.
And didn’t they beat us on goal average to coming 3rd in first division. 70:71 ? We were a fantastic team in the early seventies. League, EUFA , League Cup and FA Cup .

Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good grief there's been dozens, but if you're after a single moment then its the defeat in the UEFA Cup Final in 1972 which takes top spot and shades a Wolves supporting ex walking out of my life.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get the nostalgia for the 90's. To me it was a horrid, wasted decade and the reason why we aren't established in the top 6. If we could have got in on the start of the Premier League and with Sir Jack's money we could have established ourselves at the top end and not be so far behind now
I have nostalgia for it in so far as I was 11 in 1990 so at a formative age and it’s when I regularly started going. Chuck in boyhood heroes like bully, thommo and Robbie. Then the money years and every summer excited about the latest “names” we signed. Now at 44, I look back at it being a series of false dawns, over paid and not interested mercenaries who liked the comfort of the treatment room and a whole barrel of “what if’s”.

Some on here like to think I’m a Fosun employee or son of Jeff but in reality I’m just very grateful for them delivering sustained Premier League football, something for a long time I never ever thought I’d see.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** me, I was really happy when I logged on just now and I read through this thread and it's brought back 50 years of agony in 5 minutes. Thank **** I haven't got a gun handy! 'Upsetting' is the wrong word to use tbh; some of the memories dredged up here are like stabs to the heart. Upsetting is dropping your toast butter side down, these memories bring back suicidal thoughts from years ago. 'Upsetting' my ****.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good shout on the Premier League debacle under SJH. The feeling of utter disillusionment in how we had been let down was difficult to shake off and i've never seen SJH in the same light ever since.
I don't think we'll ever know the full story about what was going on behind the scenes with Sir Jack and his family at the time that may have prevented him from spending the kind of money we expected, there was obviously the fall out later about the sale of the club to Steve Morgan.

Ultimately, I don't think it mattered that much as we had already fallen way behind the curve and Sir Jack was no longer 'rich' by owner standards. This was the year of Abramovich taking over Chelsea and the Glazers starting their take over of Man Utd. We might have stayed up that season with a bit more investment but to what end? a couple more seasons of hoping to finish 17th before the inevitable relegation, just like 2010-12? the kind of money it needed to establish us in the Premier league was beyond Sir Jack's capacity

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothings hurts so deep like relegation(s).

Nothing compares.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're not wrong. Been thinking about this recently now we're safe, but look at Leicester. Champions 2016, Champions League the following season and a cup win 2021 and consistently mid table/top half, all things we are hoping to achieve (minus PL champions). Now look at them :oops:

Exactly. Comparing Leicester and Spurs shows that winning the Premier League once, does not make you one of the "Sky Select". I think the main thing is qualifying for Europe season after season, ideally the Champions League.

Though Leicester global fan base must have shot up since that title, and they are a much more established club that you would expect to walk the Championship, if needed. But you're still more likely to see Spurs fans anywhere in the world outside of Leicester. (and even more fans of the teams that actually win things, like Man U/Arsenal/Liverpool).

You don't apply to join the Big 6. Applications are effectively closed. Newcastle? Let's see in 10 years.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Much the same as others.

Bolton in the play-offs was the worse for me I think, that's the thing about the play-offs, bad seasons unravel slowly, but when it hangs on one game it's worse. We'd destroyed them at home and I was confident, but we never got going, seeing the McGinlay throw that punch right in front of us and Bully sat on the pitch at the end was awful. Remember just wandering out in a daze and getting stuck in a ridiculous queue on the Thelwall viaduct just sitting there shaking my head.

Norwich at home was a close second. That season of course was a complete slow motion car crash, but despite some odd selections we'd nearly got away with a 2-1 defeat at Norwich before bloody Malky McKay right at the end. It was just the final confirmation that we'd completely stuffed it up.

The semis I've endured weren't as bad for me, mad at the selection against Arsenal and never laid a glove on them, but we were always massive underdogs. Watford was bad of course, but it was only for the right to lose to City, so I consoled myself with that thought! End of the day a semi final defeat robs you of one game, those play-off games robbed us of at least a season and maybe a whole different history.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He (understandably) stayed a while to bask in the celebrations so I had to sit, in a state of pure numbness, outside the station for about an hour as thousands of jubilant Watford supporters filed past me.

By far the worst I have ever felt over a game of football. Didn’t sleep at all that night and still felt numb for a good few days after.

Feel very guilty and embarrassed that my son saw me that depressed by a football result…particularly as 8-year old me vividly remembered my Dad being similarly silent on the walk back to the car having lost to Aldershot in the Play-Offs.

You described it so well here. "Numb" is exactly the word I was looking for. For a few days after, walking about in a half dazed state, expecting to wake up. Trying to hide it as logically, you know it's a game, but cant' shake it off. No other game has done that, none of the play off defeats, though they were bad. I think I was well aware of the possibility of defeat in those. That semi-final though, we were actually there and everybody knew it.

I wonder if it had some deep effect on Nuno and that team? For some of those players, when they look back, it's surely going to be one of their very worst match memories, too?

Wolf in Wednesbury

Reaction score
1. When Muscat elbowed the Grimsby kid and i knew we were going to blow a 10pt lead.
2. Getting home from Hillsborough when we'd blown it and seeing a town full of ****ed Albion fans
Tell me about it … got back and went in the Windmill in Wednesbury (used it a bit at the time) to get it out the way … full of em

Back
Top Bottom