Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

SIGNED: Matheus Cunha (Athletico Madrid)

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but I disagree, he had plenty of service, scuffed all of his chances.
Another Frankowski IMHO. Might play him in game where we need to defend from the front, but playing him in games we need and expect to win you might as well play with ten. Only looks half-good because of the absolute turd we've been served over last 16 months.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It seems Cunha like several others we have had over the past few seasons are just not up to Premier football. I don’t watch a lot of continental football but is it much slower and less physical than our game?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Offering nothing so far. It is staggering that we have to pay so much money for him. He may not be a bad player but he certainly doesn’t fit into the system we’re trying to play.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel for him tbh, you can see how desperate he wants to score and he doesn't stop running/pressing but really not working for him. Needs to play off a striker not as the only striker imo.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never really commented on this thread but not sure what people are expecting. As is he a proven goal scorer ? No and we haven't signed one .

Ivan Toney up top for instance is the type of striker we need . But and I say but Cunha had no service today neither did Costa or Raul .

So the problem for me is the midfield driving in to assist. Where were the deep runs from Neves etc ?

Moutinhno great player but he should never start imo .

I do think the criteria for this striker needs to go have they scored double figures at least last two seasons . Yes we'll here is 60 million for their services . Otherwise we are going to get the lesser players like Cunha that are bits and pieces players . I hope he comes good for us but not sure what people expect

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s not a scapegoat. This is a thread about Matheus Cunha on a Wolves forum. People are discussing his performances, in their opinion, to date.
Please you must know by now how this works by now, we lost somone has to take the blame.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please you must know by now how this works by now, we lost somone has to take the blame.
It was an uninspired performance as a team, and few players can walk away with any credit. No one is looking to scapegoat Cunha for the result today, so it would be disingenuous to frame it as such. But we're about to spend 43m on him, which is an unbelievable sum for a Wolverhampton Wanderers player. We need to see much more from him than we have so far, and that reflects in the tone of this thread. Rationalise that however you will.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
His scoring record was poor at Atletico, hence them moving him on! Not sure why we expect him to start scoring regularly for us. He looks ok as a no. 10 but that’s about it.

R

reanswolf

His scoring record was poor at Atletico, hence them moving him on! Not sure why we expect him to start scoring regularly for us. He looks ok as a no. 10 but that’s about it.
I don't want to feel as I do, but £35m on Nunes, £40m on Cunha..............its concerning.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha. Collins. Guedes and Silva all need to be offloaded in the summer so as we can go big for a striker
If we stay up

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£75m on Fabio and Cunha combined, both young but neither the answer for what we need at the moment.

That's a lot of money for a club like ourselves with no short term reward/benefit. Really need to stop letting Mendes fleece us.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£75m on Fabio and Cunha combined, both young but neither the answer for what we need at the moment.

That's a lot of money for a club like ourselves with no short term reward/benefit. Really need to stop letting Mendes fleece us.

The worry for me is that Lop wanted Cunha. I've no idea what he is.

I don't know what the answer is, but we have got to stop spending so much money on these players who will never ever ever be suited to such a physical league. Add in Guedes and Nunes and the spend looks very silly tbh.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t surprise me. Playing in those leagues I suspect players have more time on the ball but in the Prem once you get near a danger area you’re closed down quickly and physically. Some adapt some don’t. The jury is still out.
Agree entirely.

I think the Premier League has gone back to where you need an athletic team to compete.

Newcastle, Fulham & Brentford three of the biggest overachievers and they're all based on physicality. Even us now, we benefited from getting Dawson and Lemina in the team. Experienced, strong players who know what it's all about.

It's also why I believe we look so bad without Traore.

We have far too many physically weak players and it was evident today. As you say, jury still out on Cunha, same applies to Sarabia and Nunes.

T

TheConcourse

Shouldn’t have been subbed

Makes some great runs.

The service to him was a disgrace today. Never gets an early ball

Start him on the left and play raul through the middle
People keep telling me service doesn’t matter. Strikers have to create things out of nothing, apparently.

He’s a good little player, but our pathetic band of uselessness (in an attacking sense) behind me give him nothing.

How many strikers do we have to burn through to realise it’s the supply?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha. Collins. Guedes and Silva all need to be offloaded in the summer so as we can go big for a striker
If we stay up
Personally l am pleased that JL, Hobbs et al are in charge of our recruitment and you are nowhere near it!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
£150m-odd when you add Silva and Guedes! We’re gradually doing an Everton, repeatedly throwing £30-40m sums at players who are worth half that.
Totally agree. Fulham, Brentford and Brighton are all in the top half and all 3 have made shrewd signings for far less than £40 million a go. If we’d signed Paulinha instead of Nunes and Chris Wood instead of the striker who broke down in less than 45 mins, I’m sure they’d have contributed more with a saving of at least £20 million.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£150m-odd when you add Silva and Guedes! We’re gradually doing an Everton, repeatedly throwing £30-40m sums at players who are worth half that.
The Everton comparison is bang on. The only positive for us is that at least the players we’ve signed are young but we have signed so many expensive flops it’s getting ridiculous. And people on here are worried about us selling Nunes for “only” £5m profit! I’d say it would be an absolute miracle to make a profit on him.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far far too early to be calling him useless or just not very good.

What I would say is that he isn't and shouldn't be the CF, that seems fairly clear. My fear here is that for the fee I don't see that he is that much different to a lot of forwards we already have and have had in recent years. Some pace, bit of trickery, isn't disciplined enough to play centrally and isn't going to score many.

Back
Top Bottom