Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The OMG what a day Southampton verdict thread

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done, absolute heroes all of them.

Absolutely buzzing and delighted for Joao Gomes and what it means to him.

And also ADAMA TRAORE.

Came on and gave us a threat. Made Southampton actually sit back and think 1-0 is fine. Even without directing goals, I know he was somewhat involved in the first, but regardless, he made us a threat. What a guy and will be missed so so so much if/when he goes.

But that's for another day. I'm off to get hammered. What a team. We've got Super Lopetegui!!!!!!!!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An absolute rollercoaster of a game. You just knew we'd find a way to make it an unbelievable scrap in spite of how utterly ****e they are. Lemina made the game about himself and went from hero to zero very quickly. Gomes what an unbelievable goal and moment for the kid. Adama, Costa, Sarabia what a shift they put in that second half to get us back in it.

I was despondent after the red card but always felt with how poor they are, we'd have a chance to get back in it. First half was utterly abysmal though.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, I've never followed a transfer more than Gomes. I was refreshing for Twitter and the Mix for news 300 times a day, for two weeks, hoping to see if we'd signed him.

This moment here makes all that time so worth it.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
My wife laughed at me and told me to grow up when I opened up my package containing a 'Free João Gomes' t-shirt yesterday. Well she's not laughing now! (Well she is actually, but so am I too!).

What a great 7 days it's been. Two wins, 5 points off the bottom three. Hard to analyse that game but most of all we showed character, guts and fight. A miserable afternoon has turned into an epic evening and a week of me pouring over every highlights package, fan video and football podcast.

Man of the Match - Neves.

Happy Saturday evening everyone. UP THE WOLVES!!

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The celebrations from the TEAM - you could see what it mean to each and every one of them.

Definitely a day that’s more about the result than performance, but it’s absolutely massive!

Beating the best manager in Europe, away, with 10 men for ~70 mins. Unbelievable, Jeff!

If last week was about Lemina, today was all about Gomes!

(Special mention to our special one - Neves… #AbsoluteBaller)

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Biggest/best win of the season ?

Before the game anything less than a win would have been a disappointment,

didn't start great first half and shanked clearance fell to their player who finished it well

Still felt then we could go on to win it

then another strange ref decision put us down to 10 with over an hour left to go (second yellow for running aggressively toward the referee I'm told) made it very difficult

Think Lopetegui got the tactics right from then on, played a containing game not trying to do too much till 70th minute then we switched it up, a bit lucky with the way the first one went it, but we were applying the pressure

then finished much the better team great finish from Gomez for the winner

Against a better team than Southampton with 10 men for more than an hour we may have found it tougher but great second half from us.

Have to say how easy did Southampton players keep going down at every opportunity (not all dive as a lot, though by no means all were fouls) looking to get a decision every time got what hey deserved in the end

Last edited:

busbcadd

Reaction score
we were technically awful for much of that game but boy did we hang in and we got the breaks. Leminas second yellow was just corrupt. A sky six team is never given a second yellow for that.

But after all is said and done Nathan Jones youve been there too long!

happy days. play **** and win.
100%. This is the point entirely. Some of the recent decisions which have gone against us are hard to swallow.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An absolute rollercoaster of a game. You just knew we'd find a way to make it an unbelievable scrap in spite of how utterly ****e they are. Lemina made the game about himself and went from hero to zero very quickly. Gomes what an unbelievable goal and moment for the kid. Adama, Costa, Sarabia what a shift they put in that second half to get us back in it.

I was despondent after the red card but always felt with how poor they are, we'd have a chance to get back in it. First half was utterly abysmal though.
Costa, Adama, and Sarabia looked like quite the threat in the last 30 minutes. Fantastic stuff from them.

Sarabia is an engine. The guy covers as much of the pitch as a midfielder. Once his fitness levels are fully back, he'll be insane.

Costa is so strong on the ball. I think having a player like Sarabia is very good for him. He knows Sarabia knows where to be.

Adama, I've never seen him in the box like that. He wanted to make a difference today, and **** it, that's his goal.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Absolutely deserved that,that first half was just an absolute abomination of a display from the ref, it did our legs and stopped any building of momentum.

Second half we just controlled it, bar a few Sulemana moments (one with added Kilman), we looked comfortable.

Considering 10 men, we were fab, and Gomes scoring was an awesome moment.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do people keep saying we were awful first half. We dominated possession and looked really comfortable for the first 20 until the shambolic refereeing got to our players. Then the sending off compounded matters. Thankfully some tweaks and grit helped.

Re. sending off I'm in the minority as could see why the first was a booking. Even though it wasn't malicious as soon as the studs made contact with the Southampton player it was obvious the ref would flash a yellow. The second was a joke though and I look forward to match of the day totally glossing over it later

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half we was ****

Second half Adama made them scared we had an outlet in Costa

Gomes already shown what classy player he is. Bueno what an impact with Adama

Nunes totally off it along with Cunha I’d start Gomes and Costa against Bournemouth

Sarabia struggled but not for a want of trying

Dawson and Sa very cool heads played huge part

Got manager now that changes things were going places

Verdict what great win

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Won by the subs. Nunes and Cunha really poor in the first. Bueno , Costa ,Traore and Gomes made a massive difference. They could all start next game. Costa isn’t perfect but showed the value of a proper battling forward.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell, what a ****ing win. Absolutely massive. It was a really, really poor performance in the first half, not helped by what was (if true about the reason for the second yellow) a ridiculous sending off. Second half, it’s a Lopetegui masterclass. Keep it tight, don’t go two goals down and then go for it last 20 mins. Fair ****ing play.

Southampton must absolutely hate us.

This video of Neto sprinting across the pitch to join in with the goal celebrations has made my day.

Back
Top Bottom