Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matt Doherty

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player so good spurs paid him to leave

Good luck doc!

Not exactly. They ended the contract by mutual agreement so he could sign for AM. Spurs had wanted to loan him, but with Spence already loaned, they had reached their limit. So Doc agreed to not hold Spurs to the remainder of the contract they signed.

Madmalc

Reaction score
A good player for us. 6 months looks like a stepping stone contract, wonder where he will be next year?
I wish him all the best.
His goal contributions are sadly missed.
Whilst our management said we were going for a more attractive attacking football style and then consistently bought in players with lower goal contributions in almost all positions.
That for me is why we still miss him more than we should.

citrus_wolf

Reaction score
Sensational move for him, pleased for Matt.

Expected his next move to be a drop down, more Middlesborough than Madrid!

Forever grateful for his endeavour and goals in the Nuno sides.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doherty like Jota were both missed more than Wolves fans realised they would be.

£60m for the two of them though would be hard to turn down from a financial point of view and what Wolves business model is all about.

But who would happily pay £60m now for them pair back at Wolves like they were in our first 2 seasons in the Prem.

We miss their goals and we have struggled in that department ever since they both left.

Great move for him though, a real Wolves legend in my opinion and one of our better players in our better years.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doherty like Jota were both missed more than Wolves fans realised they would be.

£60m for the two of them though would be hard to turn down from a financial point of view and what Wolves business model is all about.

But who would happily pay £60m now for them pair back at Wolves like they were in our first 2 seasons in the Prem.

We miss their goals and we have struggled in that department ever since they both left.

Great move for him though, a real Wolves legend in my opinion and one of our better players in our better years.
I miss them, especially doc he was such s key attacking player, scored and created.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't play much. Molina is a firm starter. But still a brillant move for him
What a journey he's been on?

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not exactly. They ended the contract by mutual agreement so he could sign for AM. Spurs had wanted to loan him, but with Spence already loaned, they had reached their limit. So Doc agreed to not hold Spurs to the remainder of the contract they signed.
Mutual agreement means they paid him a big chunk of cash. They'd rather pay him to terminate his contract than have him around.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a great move for him. Obviously helps who his agent is of course. Good luck to him.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mutual agreement means they paid him a big chunk of cash. They'd rather pay him to terminate his contract than have him around.

Not necessarily. Mutual agreement means they mutually agreed to end the contract. That might be a pay out by Spurs, or it could mean a straight termination. Given he is only on a contract until the end of the season at AM, then yes it’s likely Spurs paid him something, but it’s hard to know exactly what has been agreed, since this looks like a tactic to circumvent Spurs hitting their loan limit.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Several people seem desperate to deny Doc is a very decent wingback.
I know.I find it so odd.For 2 seasons he was one of the best wing backs in the division and that is fact - the statistics prove it and he's a wolves legend no question.

I think the main reason some fans take the approach of not giving the lad the credit he's due is because they falsely claimed over a long period that semedo was a better option, both at wing back and full back.

They now try to cover their mistake by going down the route of 'Doc can't defend'. Their is truth in that of course, but semedo isn't much better at it and even if one argued he is, the benefit Doc could provide in the final 3rd makes it largely irrelevant.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Delighted for him. Class signing for us and delivered on the highest stage when we needed him to.

No way did I see how his career would unfold when he was signed as a youngster and we used to hear MM referring to him as ‘the doc’.
Let that sink in. A player plucked from obscurity by Mick McCarthy, now plays for Atletico Madrid.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play to him, great move. Had more about him and influenced the team and its results ( when at his best) in a Wolves shirt than Semedo has done to date.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FWIW doc was excellent at attacking in the system Nuno created and reaped the goals and assists. Kind of a spare attacking man without really having too many defensive responsibilities - absolutely no denying that.

A good defender he was not though and tracking back wasn't really his strength.

Semedo / Jonny etc are better footballers than doc but make far less attacking contributions.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whats he done since he left wolves?
Been played as a fullback half the time and struggled. Done much better when played as a wingback. Ultimately replaced by highly rated more capable players and signed for Atleti on big money while representing his country.

What have you done since he left?

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been played as a fullback half the time and struggled. Done much better when played as a wingback. Ultimately replaced by highly rated more capable players and signed for Atleti on big money while representing his country.

What have you done since he left?

Emerson has played more than Doc, and he's awful.

And what on earth has what I've done got to do with the price of fish? What a ridiculous question

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Emerson has played more than Doc, and he's awful.

And what on earth has what I've done got to do with the price of fish? What a ridiculous question

As we all know, whether a player performs at a new club depends on numerous factors - fitness, suspensions, tactics, formations, managers.

I agree, it didn't really happen for Doc at Spurs - when he got into form part of the way through last season and played 10/12 games in a row before getting brutally tackled and injured at villa, my spurs mates were impressed.

If he had stayed at Wolves, he more than likely would have continued to excel and we have massively missed his contribution in the final 3rd.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having Conte shouting in your ear for 45 minutes on the sideline is good preparation for Simeone.

A great move for him. Wish him all the best.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As we all know, whether a player performs at a new club depends on numerous factors - fitness, suspensions, tactics, formations, managers.

I agree, it didn't really happen for Doc at Spurs - when he got into form part of the way through last season and played 10/12 games in a row before getting brutally tackled and injured at villa, my spurs mates were impressed.

If he had stayed at Wolves, he more than likely would have continued to excel and we have massively missed his contribution in the final 3rd.
I agree that we've missed his attacking contribution in the final 3rd. He works really well in a system that allows him to play that way.

He would have been really poor if we'd asked him to play the way Semedo does, that's just not his game.

I often wonder if he should have been played further forward.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
He would have been really poor if we'd asked him to play the way Semedo does, that's just not his game.
I agree, but I don't think we would have.

I think what we've learnt at Wolves over the past 2/3 years is that it's a lot harder to replace defenders rather than players who make telling contributions in the final 3rd.That is why generally speaking, those players cost more money.

We will easily replace Semedo and Jonny.Unfortunately we haven't really managed to replace what Doherty brought to the team 2.5 years later.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
I agree, but I don't think we would have.

I think what we've learnt at Wolves over the past 2/3 years is that it's a lot *EASIER to replace defenders rather than players who make telling contributions in the final 3rd.That is why generally speaking, those players cost more money.

We will easily replace Semedo and Jonny.Unfortunately we haven't really managed to replace what Doherty brought to the team 2.5 years later.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well this is what he wanted when he signed for Gestifute, a career path that took him to Mourinho's Spurs and then Atletico Madrid rather than Everton then Burnley
should get a decent sign on wedge as well.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that we've missed his attacking contribution in the final 3rd. He works really well in a system that allows him to play that way.

Semedo has also been mostly poor playing in the role that Semedo does. If ever a side was desperate for attacking contribution it's us. Neat passing sideways and backwards is better than those stray passes to give opponents chances, but is big part of the mess we are in. We need more than one good cross every 8 matches, just enough to keep his place for another 8 matches. Doc made mistakes (that classic bullet header OG for Leicester!) but made up for it. Nobody would care about Semedo's regular missed headers and mistakes, if he contributed to 6 or 7 goals a season - especially match winning ones.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo has also been mostly poor playing in the role that Semedo does. If ever a side was desperate for attacking contribution it's us. Neat passing sideways and backwards is better than those stray passes to give opponents chances, but is big part of the mess we are in. We need more than one good cross every 8 matches, just enough to keep his place for another 8 matches. Doc made mistakes (that classic bullet header OG for Leicester!) but made up for it. Nobody would care about Semedo's regular missed headers and mistakes, if he contributed to 6 or 7 goals a season - especially match winning ones.
Find me fullbacks who contribute 6 or 7 goals per season

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
Best of luck to Docherty, has made the best of his abilities and with Nuno found himself a role in a squad that was better as a whole than it’s individual parts, but he‘s worked hard since moving and deserves his new opportunity.

He scored goals for us because when he could he got into the box. That simple.

Semedo just doesn’t do that.

Back
Top Bottom