Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

WELCOME, João Gomes!!!

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question but what has his agent done wrong? Reality to me seems that only Flamengo have acted in bad taste
Well I reckon without any real knowledge he is probably all part of it
He could surely pressure the club to do the right thing and refuse to negotiate terms with any other club to comply with his clients wishes
I suppose I may have jumped the gun time will tell
I just don’t trust agent, look at that poor soul that Cardiff signed and was put on a glorified hang glider to fly the channel

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we intend to pursue this market (hopefully not via Flamengo), the worst thing we can do is cave in. It'll happen then with every deal.

Genuinely wonder whether Lyon have got involved to purely hike the fee given the relationship between the 2 owners.
I reckon:
  • We agreed a fee with Flamengo for Gomes, all set to go ahead.
  • The figure for Danilo to Forest happens to be slightly higher than Gomes, Flamengo reckon he's worth the same or more.
  • Flamengo owner gets his best mate on the phone, the Lyon and Botafogo owner, and asks him to bid us up and he'll cut him in on the profit. (Lyon rarely spend this type of money)
  • Wolves aren't being taken for fools and matching or topping Lyon's "bid", out of principle for the fact a fee was already agreed and it's completely wrong.
Being taken for a fool in a situation like this isn't going to bode well for us in the future because as you say, word will get out and every other club will try the same.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like buying a house, you make an offer and it's accepted, then someone else makes a higher offer and the vendor thinks I'll take that and leaves you either matching their offer or losing out. The only difference is the house doesn't have a say in who buys it. We need to decide whether the house is worth the extra and can we afford it. Given the sums involved I suspect that if the player's desire to join us doesn't enable us to get the deal done at the first price we'll pay a bit more.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me this is bigger than Gomes. Stick to guns, if he comes great, if not says to club and other clubs that we’re not to be pushed around once agreed.

Would prefer to play hardball and give them a deadline of Tuesday (?) to sign contract or we reduce by 1m each day to Friday. On Friday contract is withdrawn. Maybe too far….
Shafts the player who’s had the decency to stick to his word and turn down Lyon.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shafts the player who’s had the decency to stick to his word and turn down Lyon.
Yeah that's pretty disgusting. It sucks that his team has been a nightmare, but the player has committed and fought to play for us. My guess is we will stick to our fee unless it gets too close to the end and then we'll counter with a slightly better offer.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty disgusting. It sucks that his team has been a nightmare, but the player has committed and fought to play for us. My guess is we will stick to our fee unless it gets too close to the end and then we'll counter with a slightly better offer.
My guess we stick to our offer but increase add one or sell on fee allowing both sides to save face.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My guess we stick to our offer but increase add one or sell on fee allowing both sides to save face.
Sadly adding a sell on fee or % could be more than the 1-2 million they want us to add on if he hits the straps it is expected he should hit.

The deal was agreed, so it progresses on what was agreed we won’t budge, Chinese culture will dictate this as it would be seen as losing face to bend or increase it

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly adding a sell on fee or % could be more than the 1-2 million they want us to add on if he hits the straps it is expected he should hit.

The deal was agreed, so it progresses on what was agreed we won’t budge, Chinese culture will dictate this as it would be seen as losing face to bend or increase it
How much face will they lose if he’s worth a fortune in a couple of seasons time and does the fact that he’s desperate join us yet we’re willing to hang him out to dry put other players off?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much face will they lose if he’s worth a fortune in a couple of seasons time and does the fact that he’s desperate join us yet we’re willing to hang him out to dry put other players off?
It is a cultural thing and how they see the honour in agreeing a price and seeing it through with honesty and integrity.

They need the money, well known the longer your in Brazil the more your value goes down as the next Brazilian “teen sensation” is already coming off the conveyor belt.

Play stupid games, you win stupid prizes and doing this to a Chinese company is the definition of stupid games in business.

He will sign, I am very confident on that. They won’t want an unhappy player depreciating in value.

We also don’t know the “actual” bid or value agreed so wouldn’t know anyway if we did bump it up. But I don’t think we will.

We walked away from Botman when they did similar. So we have precedent for holding true to the originally agreed value.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a cultural thing and how they see the honour in agreeing a price and seeing it through with honesty and integrity.

They need the money, well known the longer your in Brazil the more your value goes down as the next Brazilian “teen sensation” is already coming off the conveyor belt.

Play stupid games, you win stupid prizes and doing this to a Chinese company is the definition of stupid games in business.

He will sign, I am very confident on that. They won’t want an unhappy player depreciating in value.

We also don’t know the “actual” bid or value agreed so wouldn’t know anyway if we did bump it up. But I don’t think we will.

We walked away from Botman when they did similar. So we have precedent for holding true to the originally agreed value.
Gomes is acting with honour and integrity it would be a shame if he’s the one to suffer.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gomes is acting with honour and integrity it would be a shame if he’s the one to suffer.
Yes he is, it is refreshing and awesome to see a young professional stay true to his word and not chase the money of a slightly bigger deal.

But sadly in negotiations for sale players miss out on dream moves through no fault of their own because one side messed around.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes he is, it is refreshing and awesome to see a young professional stay true to his word and not chase the money of a slightly bigger deal.

But sadly in negotiations for sale players miss out on dream moves through no fault of their own because one side messed around.
Yeah, it sucks they mess around. But I hope if we miss on him that he's sold in 2-3 years for 60 million. Will look real dumb on us.

Has_Talisca_Signed

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So this guy is the next coming of “Sergio Busquets”

Potentially Neves replacement.

Wanted by Lyon & looked at by Liverpool.

But we won’t pay them the extra 1 million?

Either this is sorted out asap or he really isn’t the attributes above. Simple.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lyon received information from Flamengo that João Gomes will no longer be sold to Wolverhampton and that the intention is to negotiate the midfielder with the French team. Word was given by Landim to John Textor.
What does that even mean? Yes they want to sell to Lyon, but the player doesn't want the move. Nothing in that suggests anything has changed?

dnf14

Reaction score

Lyon received information from Flamengo that João Gomes will no longer be sold to Wolverhampton and that the intention is to negotiate the midfielder with the French team. Word was given by Landim to John Textor.
None of this is new info though, we've known about Flamengo burning bridges with us for the last couple of days.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What does that even mean? Yes they want to sell to Lyon, but the player doesn't want the move. Nothing in that suggests anything has changed?
Well, the director of Flamengo flat out saying to his mate at Lyon that he won't sell the player to us isn't very encouraging I suppose

Back
Top Bottom