Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But we do win because he doesn't have a long contract this is the most we are going to get for him. Footballers aren't chained to one club until they get peak value, its not like he is proven better than any of our wide players of midfielders so it's not a direct blow to the squad apart from depth.
Its always opinions but if all we value Morgan for at the moment is £25m then that is hardly a signal to MGW that he is valued as a first team member. If we really valued him we would not ha ve been advocating a move away for him. I love this club but if I was in his position I would also want to move to a premier club where I was wanted and more likely to play.
Even if Forest get relegated Morgan if he has had a good season himself will be sought after.
I am glad you recognise taat at least it does affect the size of our squad.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Gibbs problem at wolves has always been is he isn't a midfielder or a forward in the systems we have played . He is stuck in between..he is a old style number 10 really that our system doesn't play....we all like Gibbs but sacrificing him with Nunes and hopefully Ramos will fill two positions in our first 11 whereas Gibbs would probably have ended up in the bench....

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its always opinions but if all we value Morgan for at the moment is £25m then that is hardly a signal to MGW that he is valued as a first team member. If we really valued him we would not ha ve been advocating a move away for him. I love this club but if I was in his position I would also want to move to a premier club where I was wanted and more likely to play.
Even if Forest get relegated Morgan if he has had a good season himself will be sought after.
Valuing him between 25 and 40 million, with barely any top flight experience, and only 2 years on his contract, IS valuing him. That IS a ‘we don’t really want to sell him, better make it good’.

When you take into account their relative experience and proven quality, that to me is on par with saying ‘£80m+ or do one’ for Neves.

The upfront fee alone has paid for Guedes.
There is a chance, that in 3 years time, MGW could be rated more highly than Guedes. But he’d have to make some level of immediate impact at Forest, then continue that throughout those 3 years, with Guedes not making any improvement at all, for it to be a ‘bad deal’.

We have plenty of wide forwards. Morgan is one of the least accomplished if potentially most talented, and they’ve given us more money than we paid for someone with a proven track record around Europe. Pointless even complaining about squad depth in that position, it’s nothing short of a master stroke piece of business.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more I think about this deal, the more I like it.

I didn't want to sell Morgan and its a shame we have lost a young English talent and a local lad.

But there is doubts about his willingness to sign a new contract and we have very good players in Guedes, Neto, Adama, Hwang, and Podence who can play that winger or wide midfielder - not to mention Chinqiho when he is fit.

His tricks and fancy flicks were always a risk in the centre of midfield so I never saw him in the engine room so to speak.

But the financial impact this has is huge, bringing in £25m in cash right now, that is pretty much all profit, makes a huge difference to the accounts going forward. Then of course we have the on going impact of any of the add-ons kicking in.

All of this must give us more flexibility it the rest of the transfer window.

I don't think selling MGW would have made much difference to who we get as striker - probably Ramos, Silva, or Batshuayi but it might mean we go for the more expensive option, or we take two players instead of one - or we take a punt on one or two wild cards for the academy. We haven't signed many for the under 21's - maybe we use some of the MGW bonus to pick up a few of those wild cards.

Sorry to see Morgan go, but with two years on his contract and the crazy deal on offer we just have to take it - but I hope the use it in the market to good effect.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one area I think we're weaker with MGW leaving is that, if we play a 3 behind a central striker (ie, 4 2 3 1), he was the one player in the 3 who seemed best and most willing to track back and help the 2 CMs.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not ‘just’ £25m though is it. It’s £25m up front with a commitment of somewhere around £35m. If that isn’t being valued based on his performances for us to date, I don’t know what is.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
It's difficult to know what is going on behind the scenes, but all we know is that Lage has been speaking really positively about Morgan all preseason, giving him a lot of love. He's also played in all our first team preseason games and started our two Premier League games and the fans also sung his name on Saturday. He's also been offered a new improved contract (more love and the club showing him they want him to stay). Despite all this he won't sign the new contract, so it's running down and his value for us is decreasing. A small aside to that is that on his social media profiles he has absolutely nothing on them to say he's a Wolves player, seemingly wanting to make a point. Not sure there's much more we could have done since he's come back from being on loan. He clearly wanted to leave, so it was a great to get such a good deal for him. Shame he didn't really make it for us. I wanted him to stay, but it's best now for both parties that he moves on.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
It's difficult to know what is going on behind the scenes, but all we know is that Lage has been speaking really positively about Morgan all preseason, giving him a lot of love. He's also played in all our first team preseason games and started our two Premier League games and the fans also sung his name on Saturday. He's also been offered a new improved contract (more love and the club showing him they want him to stay). Despite all this he won't sign the new contract, so it's running down and his value for us is decreasing. A small aside to that is that on his social media profiles he has absolutely nothing on them to say he's a Wolves player, seemingly wanting to make a point. Not sure there's much more we could have done since he's come back from being on loan. He clearly wanted to leave, so it was a great to get such a good deal for him. Shame he didn't really make it for us. I wanted him to stay, but it's best now for both parties that he moves on.
The fact that he deleted on his social media Sheffield united player but didn’t replace it with wolves speaks volumes

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or Lage is purely talking up the asking price…in the same way that he quoted £100m for Neves. The key theme is we are unlikely to know (if ever) the truth.

I have mixed feelings - but like Jota feel this is a good deal for us and we can use/have used the money well - unlike Jota it is not clear to me if it is a good move for the player.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would have thought seeing the signings we were making that he would be excited and want to stay. Obviously something else going on there. I know his partner was very vocal about not liking the club / fan base, perhaps thats the issue?

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a couple of points unless you know what this so called improved contract is you cant have a definite way to judge its validity. If the Forest offer is much higher then its not surprising he would take it seriously.
However if you heard some of the videos put out lately the way Morgan was talking was very positive towards staying at Wolves and working hard to prove himself.
Bruno as you say spoke very highly of him but maybe those higher in the food chain were not so generous.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t really matter. If he wouldn’t sign a new contract he would be worth next to nothing in summer 23
A position that many clubs find themselves in. however there are two parts to this. One is he could play a blinder in the next few months and raises his value. Or he plays well and is part of the team and then signs a new contract. Or he flops, which is unlikely, to a level where his value may decrease but not by much.

Reaction score
So say we get Grimaldo and Andre Silva in on permanent deals and then Ramos on a loan with an obligation to buy would you be happy with that transfer window ?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
The fact that he deleted on his social media Sheffield united player but didn’t replace it with wolves speaks volumes
Yes, as someone said above, I think his issue is with our fan base. It started with that lockdown party he went to and then various things on his social media account with his partner, who (maybe justifiably) made a point about not liking the Wolves fans. It's best he moves on where him and his partner feel happy.

One thing is for sure, in a few days time his social media profiles will show him in a Forest shirt, stating that he is a Nottingham Forest player. That should tell us everything we need to know. Good luck Morgan.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A position that many clubs find themselves in. however there are two parts to this. One is he could play a blinder in the next few months and raises his value. Or he plays well and is part of the team and then signs a new contract. Or he flops, which is unlikely, to a level where his value may decrease but not by much.
There’s another part. He plays well but doesn’t sign a new contract and then walks away. A bird in the hand makes sense in this case.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep. So like any club, we have to roll the dice.

In this case, I feel that we win.

Mind you, I might have said something different 2 weeks ago TBF

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not ‘just’ £25m though is it. It’s £25m up front with a commitment of somewhere around £35m. If that isn’t being valued based on his performances for us to date, I don’t know what is.
There is no guarantee on anything above the initial 25 What the terms of the add ons are I dont think either of us know. I am not saying this would happen but we have heard of deals where a club would not play a certain player as the number of games played would mean if the player played another game it would trigger the next payment.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose the question really is “would you pay £25million with add ons, for a Championship midfielder with one good season under his belt “ if he wasn’t owned by a PL club?

I personally, would have doubt. As Forest fans seem to have.

Time will tell.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have thought seeing the signings we were making that he would be excited and want to stay. Obviously something else going on there. I know his partner was very vocal about not liking the club / fan base, perhaps thats the issue?
I would have thought though seeing the signings we were making he thought I'm never gonna get a game here when everybody is fit.

Back
Top Bottom