Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why should Forest waste this opportunity to build on Cooper's upward momentum? What would be the point in exercising caution, to then be relegated and take the parachute payments?

Forest are determined to make this season a memorable one, and Sunday's victory over West Ham provided firm evidence that they could surprise people this season.

Maybe in a few years, the expression 'Doing a Forest' will be used for promoted clubs daring to aim higher than just mere survival.

Pretty sure that’s doing a Wolves is it not, or did I dream the bit where we came up went to an FA Cup semi and finished 7th qualifying for Europe?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s good money, especially with only two years left on his deal ,but I’m actually gutted. I’m convinced he will become a top player and that our new formation was going to be the making of him.
In my mind we need to replace him. We’re not short of options for front three , but we do need options for the no 10. Nunes isn’t that player. Don’t see Podence being the only option there
Honestly 2 games in, I just saw the same guy who left, he will get a bit found out by defenders here I think, wish him well, but for the fee paid, you have some proven class like Odegaard.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could well be £25m now, £10m in guaranteed payments in the future, then £10m in possible further bonuses.
First added bonus payments are not guaranteed but thought to be achievable and the last only if he becomes the next Queen of England.

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just finished work and found out how much we got for mgw, he’s worth about a quarter of that this is hilarious, Jeff Shi should be arrested for daylight robbery, absolutely ridiculous, I’m so happy, what a waste of money by Forest.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never been MGW's biggest fan but I wish the lad nothing but the best of luck. No way in the world could Wolves turn down an offer of that magnitude for him, based on what he's achieved in the game.
It's a little sad to see a local lad fly the nest but on the plus side, I haven't got to endure anymore of those infuriating flicks!!!
He could go on to have an amazing career but if he does, I'm confident it's still the right call, as I'm pretty sure he wasn't gonna achieve his potential at Wolves.
Just one of those sliding door moments that happens with many a player, who go on to do great things with one club, when they've done very little at others, ala Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea plus many others elsewhere.
Good luck MGW and thanks.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real shame to see MGW go but, similar to Coady, we can't give him what he needs and he can't give us what we need, so it's better for all parties to move on. Forest have a good player who might hold down a regular place in a team fighting relegation, we've got the money to sign a centre forward. Everyone wins, but mostly Wolves!

Spot on. This is a nutshell.

A good player - obviously. But he's not the box-to-box tacking midfielder we need, so we went and got Nunes. And is he really better than Guedes and Neto in that role? Not a chance I'm sorry. And if you're looking for an impact sub, Podence and Adam are the 2 best impact subs there are. I just don't see him fitting into what we're trying to do - yes he was great last year - but the PL is just on another level - and like someone else has said - I've not seen anything in the last 2 games to tell me that he isn't any different to the player that went to Sheff Utd, nor can I see how he fits into our current side/formation.

So,

1. He's not signed a contract extension (although we don't know if he will once he sees he is a starter - but I would hate this sort of blackmail as a manager - it's unhealthy)
2. He is not the player we need right now
3. This money is just way, way, way too good to turn down, even with the unlikely add-ons
4. His value will only go down from here for the next 2 years
5. I'm sorry, but we need a forward. If we can sell a player we don't need to fund a top, top young forward (and I ****ing hope it's not to fund Nunes!!!!), then I'd be delighted

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What are the 10 million likely add ons? I want 35 million not 25 million.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why should Forest waste this opportunity to build on Cooper's upward momentum? What would be the point in exercising caution, to then be relegated and take the parachute payments?

Forest are determined to make this season a memorable one, and Sunday's victory over West Ham provided firm evidence that they could surprise people this season.

Maybe in a few years, the expression 'Doing a Forest' will be used for promoted clubs daring to aim higher than just mere survival.

Pretty sure that’s doing a Wolves is it not, or did I dream the bit where we came up went to an FA Cup semi and finished 7th qualifying for Europe?
Not sure how the West Ham game was evidence of anything either, they hit the woodwork multiple times and missed a penalty.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
What do you call him for spending £35 million for on Silva and then shipping him out when he realised he couldn't score?
The way Fabio's started at Anderlecht... Shi's looking like Albert Einstein. If he comes back in January/next season and he's a confident striker, we'll all be praising him.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Spot on. This is a nutshell.

A good player - obviously. But he's not the box-to-box tacking midfielder we need, so we went and got Nunes. And is he really better than Guedes and Neto in that role? Not a chance I'm sorry. And if you're looking for an impact sub, Podence and Adam are the 2 best impact subs there are. I just don't see him fitting into what we're trying to do - yes he was great last year - but the PL is just on another level - and like someone else has said - I've not seen anything in the last 2 games to tell me that he isn't any different to the player that went to Sheff Utd, nor can I see how he fits into our current side/formation.

So,

1. He's not signed a contract extension (although we don't know if he will once he sees he is a starter - but I would hate this sort of blackmail as a manager - it's unhealthy)
2. He is not the player we need right now
3. This money is just way, way, way too good to turn down, even with the unlikely add-ons
4. His value will only go down from here for the next 2 years
5. I'm sorry, but we need a forward. If we can sell a player we don't need to fund a top, top young forward (and I ****ing hope it's not to fund Nunes!!!!), then I'd be delighted
Add to this that he probably wants to work under Cooper again - someone who obviously really rates him, the move makes sense for everyone. Shame not to have a local lad in the side though.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a fellow Staffordian was desperate for him to succeed at Wolves, but if not prepared to sign a new contract then a great deal to move out a malcontent, personally hope both him and Forest struggle and get relegated.

T

TheConcourse

Him referencing the West Ham game isn’t the best example, they got absolutely battered in the 2nd half.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'll have a decent career in the lower half of the Premier league. Great money for him and again shows why we should command 60 plus for neves! The market can be crazy and deals like this show that

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic money in, great for FFP, and I've never been a believer. He may very well prove me wrong, but I think he missed far too many chances and we're trying to move away from that.

To me, he's a high level Championship player.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s good money, especially with only two years left on his deal ,but I’m actually gutted. I’m convinced he will become a top player and that our new formation was going to be the making of him.
In my mind we need to replace him. We’re not short of options for front three , but we do need options for the no 10. Nunes isn’t that player. Don’t see Podence being the only option there
We don't need a number 10, and if we did Guedes can do the job.

Woolywolf

Reaction score
We don't need a number 10, and if we did Guedes can do the job.
4-3-3….. there’s got to be some games when one of the 3 plays an attacking no 10 role. Guedes can play as a support striker, but is not an attacking central midfielder. I thought this was where MGW could make a difference

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Him referencing the West Ham game isn’t the best example, they got absolutely battered in the 2nd half.
Agree, really thought Forest were poor.

Percy also said he was one of the first names on the teamsheet in that U17 World Cup win when he was a sub for the group stage.

He only played because Sancho was recalled by Dortmund as the Bundesliga was starting when the knockout stages began.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What are the 10 million likely add ons? I want 35 million not 25 million.
Thats what I'd like to know. They say the first 7-10 million is relatively easily attainable (and we know its nothing to do with European qualifiation as that is what the further add-ons are for). I'd hazard a guess that the first 7 million is if Forest avoid relegation and the remaining 3 million will probably be number of appearances based.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon if 10 million is apparently achievable, most of that must be based on appearances?
Maybe avoid relegation is aswell. The hard ones will be make Europe or win a cup or summat silly like 20 goals from him

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah but we have a bit more “buy in” with a host of current and ex players in there. I’d be happier seeing Neves score the winner in a final than Harry Kane.
I mean their coach doesn't really start Neves. He prefers two ****ters in front of a deep lying defence. It's Portugal football culture to play without the ball.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We payed £38 million for Nunes and are selling Morgan for £35 million after he refused to sign a new contract so for me thats a lot of money to turn down for a player who wont commit to a new contract.This money can now be used to get Ramos and who knows who else i would have preferred to keep Morgan but not signing a new contract means he was expendable
Interesting. I thought a contract was an agreement between two parties. So unless you know different how do you know that Morgan's agent on his behalf offered terms thought to be reasonable and the Club refused to accept it. No it would be much fairer to say at this moment both parties have not come to an agreement. We could infer that the club did not really value him enough. Or we could infer that Morgan was just feeling like a commodity to bring in money.
. Indeeed we could all come to a conclusion based on very little information that suits us. And before you say it I am as guilty as anyone else.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean their coach doesn't really start Neves. He prefers two ****ters in front of a deep lying defence. It's Portugal football culture to play without the ball.
If you’re the Portugal manager and you go in to the World Cup with one week to prepare and Moutinho Neves Nunes have been playing week in week out for 3 months as a midfield 3, surely you’d be sorely tempted to start with them?

Having said that, Santos has proven you’ll be right and he’ll likely fail to utilise the talent at his disposal.

I genuinely think Portugal have as good a chance as anyone in Qatar if they had a top coach. As it stands I think they’ll come up short despite their squad depth.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Seems like an awful lot of money for someone who’s had one very good season in the Championship. If MGW was sold to fund the Nunes transfer then I think that’s pretty good business on our part and good for MGW as it should give him a regular start in a Premier league team. The all important spine of our team has finally been refreshed.

Back
Top Bottom