Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

T

TheConcourse

I'm as happy as anyone but I don't buy the "Money was always there for the right player".

Why then did we go through last season with 3 CM and a defence unable to play Lages preferred formation?

Reason many people were worried this window is that the last many windows have been quite poor. Lage wasn't backed last summer and this summer for a long time seemed much the same.

Obviously things have changed now and we're all grateful for that. But let's not pretend the worries many had was without reason.

Having said all that- I absolutely love being proven completely wrong in my expectations for this summer. Well done to Fosun and the recruitment team.
Think there’s an element of looking at Bruno too.

How does he cope with pressure?
Can he adapt to different situations?
Is he the right fit?
Can he exist in the culture of the club?
Do the players like him?

Lots of questions need to be answered before you rip up a squad and trust a manager with £100m in spend. This feels like a shot of confidence to Bruno. He should be proud of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

doogisgod

Groupie
Reaction score
Me I am greedy I have witnessed two league cup wins three would be nice but the F.A. Cup I was too young to remember and the league wasn’t born so I want the lot before I snuff it
Thank you Fosun
I couldn't agree more Tonto. I was at Wembley in 1974 and 1980 but was also too young to remember the 1960 FA Cup Final. It would be amazing to see them win either big cup (or both) again but to win the PL would have been beyond my wildest dreams until today. Can only hope!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think there’s an element of looking at Bruno too.

How does he cope with pressure?
Can he adapt to different situations?
Is he the right fit?
Can he exist in the culture of the club?

Lots of questions need to be answered before you rip up a squad and trust a manager with £100m in spend. This feels like a shot of confidence to Bruno. He should be proud of that.

Good points!

R

reanswolf

Not sure it has been an education for all?
No I accept that, even I said we have to wait until it closes to judge them.

People cannot compare peoples relative anxiety levels though, because we are all different. I get serious Wolves- induced anxiety, partly exaggerated by relative inactivity of the previous 4 windows when nothing has really happened. I’m not saying there hasn’t been transfer activity Bill, cos there has been some, just a previous failure to address key positions down to the final day.

I think a lot of people feel that many clubs identify key targets before a season ends and get things quickly wrapped up in the summer window, which is indeed often the case. Wolves are competing for top players now so as we are competing with bigger fry, we have to be patient. But the sudden change in direction financially has surprised everyone surely, unless you are ITK.

I am not sure we would succeed without the help of Uncle Jorge and of course without this change in policy. Have we had new investors? Would love to know.

Massive kudos to FOSUN if they pull this off, Jeff has literally transformed from Lazarus to Jesus :)-.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So whats next?

I dont think you let neto go. No matter what interest from united/chelsea/arsenal.

Got to let traore go to fit all the players in.

Is Ramos Next?? for next week

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So whats next?

I dont think you let neto go. No matter what interest from united/chelsea/arsenal.

Got to let traore go to fit all the players in.

Is Ramos Next?? for next week
I simply say: if the club dare let Neto or Neves go - as all those lunatic opposition fans want, then Jeff and Scott should be instantly fired!

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
So who is leaving to pay for transfers, seeing Neves and Neto names mentioned, if neves leaves the recent excitement will fade away into the distance. I think this next few days until the end of august will tell us a lot of what Fosuns ambitions are going forward.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I accept that, even I said we have to wait until it closes to judge them.

People cannot compare peoples relative anxiety levels though, because we are all different. I get serious Wolves- induced anxiety, partly exaggerated by relative inactivity of the previous 4 windows when nothing has really happened. I’m not saying there hasn’t been transfer activity Bill, cos there has been some, just a previous failure to address key positions down to the final day.

I think a lot of people feel that many clubs identify key targets before a season ends and get things quickly wrapped up in the summer window, which is indeed often the case. Wolves are competing for top players now so as we are competing with bigger fry, we have to be patient. But the sudden change in direction financially has surprised everyone surely, unless you are ITK.

I am not sure we would succeed without the help of Uncle Jorge and of course without this change in policy. Have we had new investors? Would love to know.

Massive kudos to FOSUN if they pull this off, Jeff has literally transformed from Lazarus to Jesus :)-.
Agree that the way the transfer window operates at this level has been eye-opening .

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've heard any Felix movement (at all, not Wolves) is dependant on Ronaldo going to Atletico.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lots of pressure on Lage now.

There always was. Always should be. Same should have been the case for Nuno or any manager of any team.

Difference is many on here constantly expect Bruno to fail to the point it seems that they actually want him to fail. Not saying that is you but let's see what he actually does with his own players. Definitely more accountable now for sure as its his own style and players.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So who is leaving to pay for transfers, seeing Neves and Neto names mentioned, if neves leaves the recent excitement will fade away into the distance. I think this next few days until the end of august will tell us a lot of what Fosuns ambitions are going forward.
I believe that the scarcely credible answer is 'no-one'!

Well, let me clarify. From what I understand - there's been a new transfer policy introduced replacing sell-to-buy.

Players may still leave, but this is no longer a pre-requisite of us bringing in players.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well, let me clarify. From what I understand - there's been a new transfer policy introduced replacing sell-to-buy.

Players may still leave, but this is no longer a pre-requisite of us bringing in players.
There is no way Nunes and Guedes have signed unless they've been given assurances on our ambitions

And that will not include selling our existing best players

Feels like we've been ambushed with a stealth takeover!

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That should be the way you do it anyway. Buy your players first, sell to fund them afterwards. That way teams don't get a sense of desperation and charge you over the top for what you want.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is no way Nunes and Guedes have signed unless they've been given assurances on our ambitions

And that will not include selling our existing best players

Feels like we've been ambushed with a stealth takeover!

I honestly believe something serious has happened - Someone has bought a stake or Fosun's relationship with the CCP has changed and they've been given permission to turn the taps on again. Something drastic.

Either that, or Jeff is absolutely the best actor in the world.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Neves will sing a new deal with a release clause,

Signing Nunes and Guedes on 5 year deals show the ambition.

Big push on Lage now to get results, with then MGW and Neves to sign new deals.

If we get a new striker in its a wordly transfer window.

The wonderboy is coming back next year (silva), to have a partnership with (new striker) and raul can either leave or play out his days as a journeyman option at wolves.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Players are always available for the right price (what that price should be is always clarified in hindsight imo)

I'm glad it less doom and gloom and am hopeful for a striker to come in

And then maybe some young rough gems to play in the 21s overall would be a great summer

Maybe contender for the best transfer window - can see January being hard for many clubs as usually according to soccernomics most players values go up after a world cup especially if a player stands out. Or if a key player is injured

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An education to some on here, but certainly not all of us

Plenty have said wait until Sept 1st to judge. Even the club said targets would likely not come available until late in the window

To be fair they said similar things the last several transfer windows and nothing happened.
Good we appear to be having a decent window now - its somewhat overdue.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, unless a ridiculous offer comes in Neves isn't leaving. He doesn't want to and is happy here
Great news. I imagine that all sorts of stories linking him to Man U will surface, partly due to click bait sites, partly due to journos not recognising or disbelieving strategy change and finally because Man U’s midfield is like Corica, Ferguson and Osborne in their prime.

For younger mixers that was a midfield you didn’t want to go into battle for you.

Last edited:

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, unless a ridiculous offer comes in Neves isn't leaving. He doesn't want to and is happy here

Great news. Must be a great encouragement for him to see players coming in as well. We knew he loved being here, but would probably need to leave to fulfill his ambitions.
Now he may be able to do both at Wolves, at least for some time.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe contender for the best transfer window - can see January being hard for many clubs as usually according to soccernomics most players values go up after a world cup especially if a player stands out. Or if a key player is injured

I was assuming January might be busier than normal - presumably some players didn't want to move and be unsettled so close to a world cup this summer, so there may be some pent up demand.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news. Must be a great encouragement for him to see players coming in as well. We knew he loved being here, but would probably need to leave to fulfill his ambitions.
Now he may be able to do both at Wolves, at least for some time.
Anybody think Neves getting the armband with connor going could change things in his mind slightly?

Club captain

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I have a theory that we wanted to get ourselves in the same position as Sporting/Benfica/Porto, getting young Portuguese/South American players first then turning them from £5m players into £40m-£50m players, sell, and rinse and repeat. Buying the likes of Toti, Chiquinho, Mosquera instead of forking out for Dias, Fernandes, Felix once they've been polished up by the Portuguese giants.

We've found out that to do that and nudge ahead of them we have to have European football on a regular basis and obviously thought that after our first European campaign we'd be well placed.

Unfortunately injuries to Raul, Neto, Boly and Jonny plus Covid put the brakes on and now we're seeing a reassessment and a reboot after realising how difficult it's been to even attract and fund further starlets without having that upwardly mobile profile.

Good to see that a switched on international conglomerate like Fosun, has the nous to regularly review it's business strategy and respond to changes in market conditions and respond to the risks threatening the achievement of its strategic goals. ;)

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a theory that we wanted to get ourselves in the same position as Sporting/Benfica/Porto, getting young Portuguese/South American players first then turning them from £5m players into £40m-£50m players, sell, and rinse and repeat. Buying the likes of Toti, Chiquinho, Mosquera instead of forking out for Dias, Fernandes, Felix once they've been polished up by the Portuguese giants.

We've found out that to do that and nudge ahead of them we have to have European football on a regular basis and obviously thought that after our first European campaign we'd be well placed.

Unfortunately injuries to Raul, Neto, Boly and Jonny plus Covid put the brakes on and now we're seeing a reassessment and a reboot after realising how difficult it's been to even attract and fund further starlets without having that upwardly mobile profile.

Good to see that a switched on international conglomerate like Fosun, has the nous to regularly review it's business strategy and respond to changes in market conditions and respond to the risks threatening the achievement of its strategic goals. ;)

Yep, I was thinking something similar.

I think a player's value is defined to a huge (and probably unfair) amount by how well his team is playing. Neves when we were pushing for EL was talked about for a massive move - when we've struggled a bit more the last couple of years, there's been far less talk, despite his personal performances improving.

If we're a team that can regularly be say 5th-8th, then we can bring in a couple of Toti/Chiqinho type signings, and if they play well in a good team, be worth loads.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think that's a very sensible thought process.

Back
Top Bottom