Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

BBC Radio 5 Decide " No Time For Classified Results "

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saturday afternoons were often, for a while, my dad & I going to Gloucester to watch the rugby together, followed by getting back to the car just in time to be hearing Wolves had gobbled up another magnificent 1-1 draw with some non-entities somewhere. Or a standout 0-1 defeat to even bigger non-entities from somewhere. You'll never take those memories away from me!

Mind you, I can remember when the Saturday sport was on Radio2, and Radio5 seemed a very fancy young thing :~}
Getting dragged around some shopping precinct as a kid, I'd always clock a rumbelows or a Dixons to loiter around at 4:45 for final score. Invariably it was 1 1 v Hull, Leicester, Tranmere or Hull.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every Saturday in Dublin we waited for the 5 o’clock scores. If the weather was bad the recaption was staticky sometimes.
Next best option was wait for the Sunday papers.
Good old bad old MW. :)

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting dragged around some shopping precinct as a kid, I'd always clock a rumbelows or a Dixons to loiter around at 4:45 for final score. Invariably it was 1 1 v Hull, Leicester, Tranmere or Hull.
One of my most random, but wonderful Wolves memories was being dragged round merry hill one Saturday as wolves were away at palace, mid 90s.

4.45ish, got in the gathering outside curry’s or dixons window, can’t remember which. Along came the score….. Crystal Palace 2…. Ffs

Wolverhampton Wanderers (which I love seeing written out in full)…. 3

Brilliant.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slightly OT, but also used to love the feeling of being in Spain or somewhere similar, early august, football season just starting, having to first of all locate a supermercado that sold British papers, and then try and get a sneaky look through the back pages before getting caught, so as to see how we had got on the day, or sometimes days, before.

Almost unimaginable now. There was something magical about a pre mobile phone / social media world.

I have said it before but if you stuck a youngster from today in a time machine back to the mid to late 90s there is absolutely no way they would ever want to come back.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might as well get in first. This will need to stay on football and not the BBC in general…
2Bz.gif

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
James Alexander Gordon hasn't done it since 2013 (read the scores that is :) )

BBC News - BBC Radio 5 Live drops classified football results
There’s a great little interview with him here

Think my principle memory of hearing the scores read out is getting back on the coach at away games. Will be sad not to hear it again, although I always end up going through them on my phone anyway to properly take them in.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Slightly OT, but also used to love the feeling of being in Spain or somewhere similar, early august, football season just starting, having to first of all locate a supermercado that sold British papers, and then try and get a sneaky look through the back pages before getting caught, so as to see how we had got on the day, or sometimes days, before.

Almost unimaginable now. There was something magical about a pre mobile phone / social media world.

I have said it before but if you stuck a youngster from today in a time machine back to the mid to late 90s there is absolutely no way they would ever want to come back.
I've said before on here I think, but I was travelling in Spain when the season started one year. We nipped over to Gibraltar to find the score and found a copy of the Monday edition of the Sun. I went to look inside to see if my team, who were at the lowest of ebbs would get a score recorded, never mind a match report. Then realised we were the main back page headline 'YOU SCUM'.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is nothing sacred? It's the memories! Outside Dixon's one Saturday afternoon in September 1976 it was Hereford 1 Wolves 6. The next week if was Wolves 2 Southampton 6...but that can't be right because the S'ton game was midweek...

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have just found out that another tradition is in the bin, the reading of the classified football results on Radio 5 at the start of sports report. Apparently since the BBC now have commentary on the 5.30 Premier League game there is not enough time according to them to fit them in. This is because we all need to have an EPL match report on the few games that are actually played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. The fact is, it is so the BBC can tug their forelock to Pep, Jurgen, whoever is in charge at Manure this week, Captain Scarlett at Arsenal or other big six managers, while not forgetting Frank Lampard.

Now I get that younger people will be saying " Move on Abe Simpson " :):):) but that generation are not likely to be listening to sports report as they are reading information on their i-phone they will not be as angry as those of us of a certain vintage are. Getting back to the car for 5 pm to hear Sports Report and James Alexander Gordon reading out the results was part of the match day ritual.

This decision is the second kick in the gonads the BBC has dealt to fans of non Premier clubs this summer. Apparently they were offered the chance to show the football league highlights at a " Mate's Rates " price of just over £500,000 yet said no it was too high and then they proceeded to outbid the commercial networks to cover the Champions League at a fee far in excess of the money they could have had the football league package for.

If the BBC are short of time to fit the English, Scottish and Conference League results in I have a suggestion, read out the football results then any interviews that cannot be heard before 5.30 can be aired at the end of that match, as for me they can get rid of that outdated offering 6-0-6 where ' Tony from Croydon who is a life long Manure who has actually only ever been to Superstore at Old Trafford is questioning the team selection ! ' I would think more people would prefer the football results to Robbie Savage's inane blethering.

So the reading of the football results on Sports Report passes into history and joins the Express and Star and Argus " Pinks ", Shoot ! magazine with it's league ladder, Subbuteo and Striker, The Big Match or Star Soccer, Saint and Greavsie, Bob Wilson's Football Focus, FA Cup Final day with all that entailed, including a 3pm kick off and the yearly England v Scotland game. Programs have already gone for some teams as well.

I imagine if that fine footballing man Mr Alf Garnett was alive today he would light up his pipe and vent one of his catchphrases upon hearing the scrapping of the results service " Bloody BBC ! "
Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it but they read the FT results out on talksport. It may be a little casual compared to the BBC coverage which I find quite stuffy and boring in any case.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I remember being in Anaheim, Los Angeles ( which is home of Disneyland Resort ) and this was 1991 when the Americans had not yet 'got into soccer ' on a major basis. My Mate returned from the local Walmart with this huge wad of papers, which actually turned out to just be the Los Angeles Times it was that thick ! Remarkably they printed all the English and Scots League results ( my mate is a Scotsman and he thought it was great the massive area that is LA could find out how Stenhousemuir did against Cowdenbeath :):):) ) Clearly all the ex-pats living there like Ozzy Osbourne, Elton John and Rod Stewart must have had something to do with it.

A couple of days later we went to San Diego and clearly the owner of the shop selling English papers had clearly had enough of people like me thumbing through the imported copy of the News of the World with zero intention of buying it as they had stappled the pages together !!! Worst of all was the price they were asking, it was dying days of the 1992 glorious exchange rate of $2 to £1 but there was no way I was paying $6 for a copy of the ' Screws of the World " ! o_Oo_Oo_O

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I have just found out that another tradition is in the bin, the reading of the classified football results on Radio 5 at the start of sports report. Apparently since the BBC now have commentary on the 5.30 Premier League game there is not enough time according to them to fit them in. This is because we all need to have an EPL match report on the few games that are actually played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. The fact is, it is so the BBC can tug their forelock to Pep, Jurgen, whoever is in charge at Manure this week, Captain Scarlett at Arsenal or other big six managers, while not forgetting Frank Lampard.

Now I get that younger people will be saying " Move on Abe Simpson " :):):) but that generation are not likely to be listening to sports report as they are reading information on their i-phone they will not be as angry as those of us of a certain vintage are. Getting back to the car for 5 pm to hear Sports Report and James Alexander Gordon reading out the results was part of the match day ritual.

This decision is the second kick in the gonads the BBC has dealt to fans of non Premier clubs this summer. Apparently they were offered the chance to show the football league highlights at a " Mate's Rates " price of just over £500,000 yet said no it was too high and then they proceeded to outbid the commercial networks to cover the Champions League at a fee far in excess of the money they could have had the football league package for.

If the BBC are short of time to fit the English, Scottish and Conference League results in I have a suggestion, read out the football results then any interviews that cannot be heard before 5.30 can be aired at the end of that match, as for me they can get rid of that outdated offering 6-0-6 where ' Tony from Croydon who is a life long Manure who has actually only ever been to Superstore at Old Trafford is questioning the team selection ! ' I would think more people would prefer the football results to Robbie Savage's inane blethering.

So the reading of the football results on Sports Report passes into history and joins the Express and Star and Argus " Pinks ", Shoot ! magazine with it's league ladder, Subbuteo and Striker, The Big Match or Star Soccer, Saint and Greavsie, Bob Wilson's Football Focus, FA Cup Final day with all that entailed, including a 3pm kick off and the yearly England v Scotland game. Programs have already gone for some teams as well.

I imagine if that fine footballing man Mr Alf Garnett was alive today he would light up his pipe and vent one of his catchphrases upon hearing the scrapping of the results service " Bloody BBC ! "
Think you'll enjoy this Twitter thread:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said before on here I think, but I was travelling in Spain when the season started one year. We nipped over to Gibraltar to find the score and found a copy of the Monday edition of the Sun. I went to look inside to see if my team, who were at the lowest of ebbs would get a score recorded, never mind a match report. Then realised we were the main back page headline 'YOU SCUM'.
Scarborough game by any chance?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the car on the way back from the match last year when the classified results came on.

My 6 year old was so confused. He asked what was going on and when I told him, he just asked, “why don’t people just check their phones?!”

Yes, understand traditions etc, but when something becomes as redundant as the classified results have, it’s always going to be axed.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the car on the way back from the match last year when the classified results came on.

My 6 year old was so confused. He asked what was going on and when I told him, he just asked, “why don’t people just check their phones?!”

Yes, understand traditions etc, but when something becomes as redundant as the classified results have, it’s always going to be axed.

By the same logic then shut down all the tv and radio stations, and close all the newspapers, and just have on demand streaming platforms and news websites. The BBC could really save a bundle then…

The original purpose may have long passed, but there are plenty of situations when people cannot look at their phones or choose not to. Driving being a prime example. But those in charge don’t really consider that. Instead they sit there looking at their phones and ask the same question your 6 year old did. Says all that needs to be said about the perspectives of the decision makers in the BBC.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
35 minutes between the end of the 3pm KOs and commentary on the 5.35 game and it's essential that 10 of them are spent reading out scores from the Scottish second division? If you're in a car on your own with a desperate need to know the Alloa score check before you drive off.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Having started this thread ranting about the passing of the football scores, I accept that the end of that tradition is coming as quite rightly young kids like your son will no longer require it. Part of the football results being read out was pre-lottery millions did the football pools and it was the other escape from reality on a Saturday the hope that you could retire :) :) :) Most had a rough idea of which teams we had picked as draws and to hear if telephone claims were required for 23 or more points !!!!

I think my anger with the decision has as much to do with the fact in that half hour now between 5 and 5.30 I will be subjected to moaning minnies like Klopp. Pep and others moaning about too many fixtures ( I will not because it will get turned off ) despite signing the multi-million pound deals knowing what being an EPL Coach entails and jetting off to Japan and Australia for pre-season games then saying the players are tired from to much travel ! So if I am faced with listening to that our hearing how Bonnyrigg Rose got on at Stranraer then I know which I want to hear.

Like I say though you make a very fair point and I accept that it will die out or as the BBC have decided has died out !

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just stating facts my friend :cool:
Well I wasn't. It was just a throw away quip. Learn a bit of discretion my friend as I could quote other instances of your lack of it as this is not the only example from you.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well I wasn't. It was just a throw away quip. Learn a bit of discretion my friend as I could quote other instances of your lack of it as this is not the only example from you.
Blimey. "Lack of discretion..." on a football forum..mmm.
Please send me my other lack of discretions, so I can learn from them.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey. "Lack of discretion..." on a football forum..mmm.
Please send me my other lack of discretions, so I can learn from them.
Your post on 30 July is another example. If you understand the sentiment, the total accuracy is not a matter of life and death.

That is my last comment on the matter since, to quote Supergran, I cba!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me the final scores are just an annoyance and an immediate switch of channel

Cutting away from post match interviews so I can hear the scores in the Scottish Second division is not for me

Listening in to post match interviews to hear that we played well and were unlucky with their second, or that the referee missed a blatant penalty.

Not for me and neither is the punditiry on MOTD, but then I'm old school I guess.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm afraid this does boil my ****. Some like to tinker with our game and then find reason to justify its need.

I'm still waiting for a explanation on why we play FA Cup Semi-Finals at Wembley..............

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not listened to the full results for decades, not watched them on tv for the same amount of time.

Most of this thread seems to be about people reminiscing about hearing the results as a kid. Think that says a lot about why the decision was taken.
Of course it is
I have so many memories of sitting around the radio at 5 o clock on a Saturday with my dad and his Littlewoods pools sheet hoping for that big win that never came lol
It was a tradition back then in the 50s,almost everyone did the pools, it was that eras Lottery i guess
But times have moved on, and really who listens to the radio for the results nowadays,never mind do the pools
Its nice to reminisce but lets not get bogged down in a bygone era

Back
Top Bottom