Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

BBC Radio 5 Decide " No Time For Classified Results "

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have just found out that another tradition is in the bin, the reading of the classified football results on Radio 5 at the start of sports report. Apparently since the BBC now have commentary on the 5.30 Premier League game there is not enough time according to them to fit them in. This is because we all need to have an EPL match report on the few games that are actually played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. The fact is, it is so the BBC can tug their forelock to Pep, Jurgen, whoever is in charge at Manure this week, Captain Scarlett at Arsenal or other big six managers, while not forgetting Frank Lampard.

Now I get that younger people will be saying " Move on Abe Simpson " :):):) but that generation are not likely to be listening to sports report as they are reading information on their i-phone they will not be as angry as those of us of a certain vintage are. Getting back to the car for 5 pm to hear Sports Report and James Alexander Gordon reading out the results was part of the match day ritual.

This decision is the second kick in the gonads the BBC has dealt to fans of non Premier clubs this summer. Apparently they were offered the chance to show the football league highlights at a " Mate's Rates " price of just over £500,000 yet said no it was too high and then they proceeded to outbid the commercial networks to cover the Champions League at a fee far in excess of the money they could have had the football league package for.

If the BBC are short of time to fit the English, Scottish and Conference League results in I have a suggestion, read out the football results then any interviews that cannot be heard before 5.30 can be aired at the end of that match, as for me they can get rid of that outdated offering 6-0-6 where ' Tony from Croydon who is a life long Manure who has actually only ever been to Superstore at Old Trafford is questioning the team selection ! ' I would think more people would prefer the football results to Robbie Savage's inane blethering.

So the reading of the football results on Sports Report passes into history and joins the Express and Star and Argus " Pinks ", Shoot ! magazine with it's league ladder, Subbuteo and Striker, The Big Match or Star Soccer, Saint and Greavsie, Bob Wilson's Football Focus, FA Cup Final day with all that entailed, including a 3pm kick off and the yearly England v Scotland game. Programs have already gone for some teams as well.

I imagine if that fine footballing man Mr Alf Garnett was alive today he would light up his pipe and vent one of his catchphrases upon hearing the scrapping of the results service " Bloody BBC ! "

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a nostalgic thing, but honestly, how many people don't already know the score? Even most Abe Simpsons like you will have a smartphone!

It's not like it cost them anything to produce, so they'll have done it because people generally don't like it/aren't interested in it.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my favourite memories as a kid is going to watch the local team and rushing to the car to listen to the scores radio 5, most weeks I was disappointed that wolves had lost

Chiswick_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very odd decision. I must confess, I rarely proactively look outside the Premier League results on my app these days and if I do it might be a just a quick check of the Championship. Therefore I quite liked having the Classifieds as a way of knowing what else was going on throughout the leagues. Those teams you always kept an ear out for for one reason or another. Somewhere you lived. A team a friend or work colleague supports. Odd Scottish teams that probably have a few hundred at a game etc. Shame that will all be gone.

I'd have some sympathy if the content was great and clearly a struggle to fit in, but all to often its inane nonsense like Savage and Sutton having a fake argument about something plugging 606.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And if you are a blind / partial sighted supporter what use is the internet ?

While your concern is admirable, the point of radio isn't really to provide information for blind people. Most will have access to at least one form of text-to-speech software, braille display, or other assistance technology to use the internet - given the number of options available, there's never been a better time to be blind or partially sighted.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perish the thought that it might get in the way of one depressing news story after another...although on second thoughts with our results recently, maybe I would rather hear about the cost of ljving, huge commercial profits, wars, madmen and disease after all...

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I think they should have kept it because it can be handy if you're driving and for older people who use it. Then again, if I'm driving I'm well aware of all the results from all the leagues as I would have been listening to the football coverage leading up to that.

The first reaction is one of disappointment, but can't actually remember the last time I tuned into to listen to the results and if the classifieds are on when I'm listening to the radio I get slightly irritated because I already know they results and don't fancy listening to them all again.

Still, I'd prefer the classifieds to listening to manager interviews, which are banal and pointless. Also not really a fan of live commentary of games. Think the only people really interested in commentaries are fans of the teams playing. Interesting listening to all the episodes of a recent BBC podcast 'Moment of Truth' that is a fly on the wall audio documentary following Paul Warne (Rotherham manager) and Karl Robinson (MKD manager) throughout last season (excellent by the way and highly recommended). Warne says what he really thinks after a game and then says, "Right, got to think of some bull**** far removed from reality to tell the media now." Tells you everything you need to know about manager interviews!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every Saturday in Dublin we waited for the 5 o’clock scores. If the weather was bad the recaption was staticky sometimes.
Next best option was wait for the Sunday papers.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While your concern is admirable, the point of radio isn't really to provide information for blind people. Most will have access to at least one form of text-to-speech software, braille display, or other assistance technology to use the internet - given the number of options available, there's never been a better time to be blind or partially sighted.
You really are something else --couldnt give a **** if you think my concern is admirable--never suggested that it was the role of radio to provide info for the blind but it certainly bloody helps.
As for your last wording -- bloody disgrace that you think that there is a better time to be blind--******.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone still do the pools?
if you wonder the relevance of this question you are too young!

I do !!!!!

Although it comes out direct debit and I have no clue what my " 8 from 10 " numbers are :D:D:D

Sadly I retired from " Spot the Ball " :):):)

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have just found out that another tradition is in the bin, the reading of the classified football results on Radio 5 at the start of sports report. Apparently since the BBC now have commentary on the 5.30 Premier League game there is not enough time according to them to fit them in. This is because we all need to have an EPL match report on the few games that are actually played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. The fact is, it is so the BBC can tug their forelock to Pep, Jurgen, whoever is in charge at Manure this week, Captain Scarlett at Arsenal or other big six managers, while not forgetting Frank Lampard.

Now I get that younger people will be saying " Move on Abe Simpson " :):):) but that generation are not likely to be listening to sports report as they are reading information on their i-phone they will not be as angry as those of us of a certain vintage are. Getting back to the car for 5 pm to hear Sports Report and James Alexander Gordon reading out the results was part of the match day ritual.

This decision is the second kick in the gonads the BBC has dealt to fans of non Premier clubs this summer. Apparently they were offered the chance to show the football league highlights at a " Mate's Rates " price of just over £500,000 yet said no it was too high and then they proceeded to outbid the commercial networks to cover the Champions League at a fee far in excess of the money they could have had the football league package for.

If the BBC are short of time to fit the English, Scottish and Conference League results in I have a suggestion, read out the football results then any interviews that cannot be heard before 5.30 can be aired at the end of that match, as for me they can get rid of that outdated offering 6-0-6 where ' Tony from Croydon who is a life long Manure who has actually only ever been to Superstore at Old Trafford is questioning the team selection ! ' I would think more people would prefer the football results to Robbie Savage's inane blethering.

So the reading of the football results on Sports Report passes into history and joins the Express and Star and Argus " Pinks ", Shoot ! magazine with it's league ladder, Subbuteo and Striker, The Big Match or Star Soccer, Saint and Greavsie, Bob Wilson's Football Focus, FA Cup Final day with all that entailed, including a 3pm kick off and the yearly England v Scotland game. Programs have already gone for some teams as well.

I imagine if that fine footballing man Mr Alf Garnett was alive today he would light up his pipe and vent one of his catchphrases upon hearing the scrapping of the results service " Bloody BBC ! "
Unfortunately like the pink it is from a bygone age. Technology has moved on and the BBC expect everyone to have fallen in line with the latest gizmos. It’s a shame but it does leave the BBC free to devote more time to the big 6.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to The voice of James Alexander Gordon reading the scores as you were coming away from a ground in the car was a post match ritual.

Will be sadly missed by me, but like everything else it seems, just not fashionable anymore.
And trying to guess the score by his intonation .

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another tradition gone. It's a shame, but I suppose it was inevitable.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me the final scores are just an annoyance and an immediate switch of channel

Cutting away from post match interviews so I can hear the scores in the Scottish Second division is not for me
Yeah cos l really want to hear even more *******s from ManUre or the Dippers....

Destroy a tradition for utter crap.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Saturday afternoons were often, for a while, my dad & I going to Gloucester to watch the rugby together, followed by getting back to the car just in time to be hearing Wolves had gobbled up another magnificent 1-1 draw with some non-entities somewhere. Or a standout 0-1 defeat to even bigger non-entities from somewhere. You'll never take those memories away from me!

Mind you, I can remember when the Saturday sport was on Radio2, and Radio5 seemed a very fancy young thing :~}

Last edited:

Hazza

Reaction score
I used to love the half time scoreboard on Waterloo Road Stand , letters matched with matches on back of programme, only way to see current scores in those days and better than the half time ‘entertainment’ they put out now

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw a good tweet yesterday (which I now can't find) which basically summed up my feelings on it.

I won't miss the classified results, but I do miss listening to them in the car with my dad when I was 10 years old

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disgraceful decision. What clown thought this would go unchallenged? It only takes 10 minutes or so. It's is a massive editorial own goal. Which direction do they think ratings will go when the time is now 5 O'clock?

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reasons I'll miss it:

1. I'm as far from politically conservative as you can get, but even I find something comforting in things that remain across time.
  2. It helped with the rhythm of football on the radio: a welcome pause from breathless coverage of wondergoals, controversy and presenter banter.
  3. The cadence of it was pleasurable in its own right.
  4. Trying to guess the away team's score from the way the announcer said their name.
  5. In a world dominated by the big six and the Prem there was a degree of egalitarianism to it. Ok, so Man Utd's score would come earlier, but otherwise there'd be nothing to distinguish it from Alloa Athletic.
  6. It broadened footballing horizons. I'd never ordinarily check Carlisle United's scores, but if I heard they'd won 7-0 I'd check out the game and perhaps learn something about a player, manager or system I wouldn't otherwise know.
  7. It broadened horizons outside football. When else would I have heard of Stenhousemuir?

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to love the half time scoreboard on Waterloo Road Stand , letters matched with matches on back of programme, only way to see current scores in those days and better than the half time ‘entertainment’ they put out now
And the audible gasps, when unexpected scorelines appeared.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reasons I'll miss it:

1. I'm as far from politically conservative as you can get, but even I find something comforting in things that remain across time.
  2. It helped with the rhythm of football on the radio: a welcome pause from breathless coverage of wondergoals, controversy and presenter banter.
  3. The cadence of it was pleasurable in its own right.
  4. Trying to guess the away team's score from the way the announcer said their name.
  5. In a world dominated by the big six and the Prem there was a degree of egalitarianism to it. Ok, so Man Utd's score would come earlier, but otherwise there'd be nothing to distinguish it from Alloa Athletic.
  6. It broadened footballing horizons. I'd never ordinarily check Carlisle United's scores, but if I heard they'd won 7-0 I'd check out the game and perhaps learn something about a player, manager or system I wouldn't otherwise know.
  7. It broadened horizons outside football. When else would I have heard of Stenhousemuir?

Well said.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disgraceful decision. What clown thought this would go unchallenged? It only takes 10 minutes or so. It's is a massive editorial own goal. Which direction do they think ratings will go when the time is now 5 O'clock?
Doesn't matter. They already have your money. Ratings lol

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A few years back I went to the excellent Museum of Scottish football at Hampden and one of the curators there was talking about those half time scoreboards. He said that he was and still is an East Stirling fan and in October 1971 when the half time score of that season's League Cup final went up and the League Cup final was shown as ' Celtic 0 Partick Thistle 4 ' the crowd gave the old fella that used to put up the scores 'dogs abuse ' saying that " Old Bampot has been on the bevy again as that is clearly the wrong way round ' Remarkably it was not the case as that was the score .

Back
Top Bottom