Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goncalo Guedes.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@LiamKeen_Star
· 29s
Wolves are closing in on the signing of Valencia forward Goncalo Guedes for a fee of £27.5m. All parties now working to finalise the deal. Wolves also hope to keep Morgan Gibbs-White this summer, no change there, unless a big offer comes in. #wwfc Wolves closing in on £27.5m Goncalo Guedes signing

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's Jota lite, I think his style of play will suit the English game, fingers crossed we get this one over the line without selling another attacker to pay for it as that leaves us in pretty much the same situation we are in now with no options at all on the bench

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely Raul, Neto, Guedes, Podence, Hwang and either ADAMA, Batshuayi or MGW give us enough permutations?
Personally I want 7 and probably 8with a youngster (greedy entitled I know….).

So if playing 4-3-3 can change the front 3 and if playing 4-2-3-1 can change 3 of the front 4. If we think 4-2-3-1 is the way to go we really need 7. Even this assumes no injuries!

So I think it will be Raul, Neto, Guedes, Hwang, Batshuayi, Podence, 1 of Traore or MGW plus 1 other (Hwang mark 2 or Osario) with Chiquinho replacing Traore in a year (if fit).

Campbell out on loan and 1 of Traore and MGW sold.

Last edited:

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the most parts when Podence had the ball he held it, got his his head up and moved it on. Sometimes he tried the intricate pass to split the defence, and those don't always come off. He scored, he got himself into a position to score a second and produced a save from the keepers feet.

Gibbs-White, for the most part around 30 yards out with no defender on him did some stupid ****ing flick that went to their player. One of those flicks worked once, he played one decent pass forward and ballooned a header over.

Podence did the exact same but even worse.

Tale by numbers Podence then MGW

Pass percentage 65% to 80%

Tackled 5 to 1

Successful dribblers 0-2

Key passes 3-1

Crosses 1-5

Won the Ball back 1-4

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasnt the sky sports rumour last week to do with arsenal showing an interest before neto got injured, and they were gonna make a move for him that summer
No they said Arsenal and Man Utd are both very interested in him before the end of this window.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uncle Jorge pulling a rabbit out of the hat for us, you love to see it. If the reports are true that we might sign Batshuayi for £2m, then the situation looks a little more optimistic. Though after the rancid performance of both full backs yesterday, this may also be an area of concern.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uncle Jorge pulling a rabbit out of the hat for us, you love to see it. If the reports are true that we might sign Batshuayi for £2m, then the situation looks a little more optimistic. Though after the rancid performance of both full backs yesterday, this may also be an area of concern.
Permanent now? Where have you seen this mate?

Wolves4Life85

Groupie
Reaction score
Are we over paying again though? Who is leaving us for cheap? That seems to be the thing we pay more but we let players go cheaper. Frustrating

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big yes to Guedes, a wide forward who scores goals

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He’d be a welcome addition but why the hell have we done it so late? I suspect either Coady or MGW are on the way out to fund this. Everton lost two defenders to injury yesterday so I can see that forcing their hand for Coady and if we are fully committed to a back four it makes sense for us. In isolation Guedes would be lipstick on a pig, we need a first team ready CM this week.

Cause it's a negotiation.

Lots of business will get done late as clubs bluff and don't show their hand till the last minute.

Even those clubs desperate for money will be trying their best to squeeze as much as possible.

Players similarly will be holding on to see who comes in.

This has been explained by countless other posters and Fabrizio Romano.

It's a negotiation get it? If you don't stick to FIFA ffs

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lots of business will get done late as clubs bluff and don't show their hand till the last minute.

Even those clubs desperate for money will be trying their best to squeeze as much as possible.

I’m fine if it means we get better players like this in august. Rather than try and buy too early and not have as good

The risk is we don’t get anyone/enough

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting it comes to light after we lose to Leeds, a team with two home wins since January….

As for FIFA, never played it. I do understand negotiations take time but if reports we wanted an add-on payment linked to qualifying for the CL that’s hardly surprising.

shaygriff

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we get Batshuayi and Guedes I will be delighted.

Sa
Jonny, Killman, Collins, Ran
Neves, Moutinho
MGW
Neto, Batshuayi, Guedes

Bench when everyone is fit

Sarkic
Hwang
Pedonce
Donk
Adama
Boly
Jiminez
Coady
Ronan
Cundle

In reality I expect Coady and Adama to be sold to fund Guedes, or maybe they will take the MGW offer. Someone is being sacrificed so we can spend £25m+ on Guedes - I think he is a talent and will do well.
Where's Nelson?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought podence was very poor.MGW did ok…not brilliant, not awful.
Pod's a useful and smart player to have but he blows very hot and cold. He was average yesterday, not great and not rubbish. MGW was similar.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence did the exact same but even worse.

Tale by numbers Podence then MGW

Pass percentage 65% to 80%

Tackled 5 to 1

Successful dribblers 0-2

Key passes 3-1

Crosses 1-5

Won the Ball back 1-4
For me, we have bigger problems right now, but they both ain't good enough for a club with European ambitions.
Call me Dave Bassett but I'd be 4-4-2 ing with Adama on one side and Neto on the other.
That would require signing 2 strikers though.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’d be a welcome addition but why the hell have we done it so late? I suspect either Coady or MGW are on the way out to fund this. Everton lost two defenders to injury yesterday so I can see that forcing their hand for Coady and if we are fully committed to a back four it makes sense for us. In isolation Guedes would be lipstick on a pig, we need a first team ready CM this week.
Uncommon opinion but I think we might be able to afford it anyway. If you look on the face of it, we've basically been running at around £20m profit a year since promotion (the weird covid season which resulted in a loss would have been another £20m ish profit without Covid). If you're making £20m a year you can afford to go and get a Collins and a Guedes without having to fund them with sales. You can't do much more than that admittedly and if you want any more purchases then you likely have to fund them with outgoings. But being well run off the field (which we are) gives us a bit of room for bringing the odd signing in

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, we have bigger problems right now, but they both ain't good enough for a club with European ambitions.
Call me Dave Bassett but I'd be 4-4-2 ing with Adama on one side and Neto on the other.

That's why I wanted Benteke. I wouldn't play it every game. But 15mins to go against a team sitting back. Raul and Benteke upfront, Adama and Neto outwide.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uncommon opinion but I think we might be able to afford it anyway. If you look on the face of it, we've basically been running at around £20m profit a year since promotion (the weird covid season which resulted in a loss would have been another £20m ish profit without Covid). If you're making £20m a year you can afford to go and get a Collins and a Guedes without having to fund them with sales. You can't do much more than that admittedly and if you want any more purchases then you likely have to fund them with outgoings. But being well run off the field (which we are) gives us a bit of room for bringing the odd signing in
I still believe the line that we can't get the players we want to actually come. I don't see what is that unbelievable about it.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah, definitely good to do what no other good team in the league do and play 4 4 2 with traditional wingers

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely good to do what no other good team in the league do and play 4 4 2 with traditional wingers
No other team have got traditional wingers like ours. And the fact is we ain't going to get anywhere just aping a team. Embrace the differences.
And really playing 4-2-3-1 with podence as one of the 3 is not much different to playing 4-4-2 with Raul as one of the front 2. Raul gives a lot more to our midfield than Podence.

Or perhaps I should rephrase it so it sounds more au fait with the football snobs. We can play 4-2-3-1 with Raul playing as a number 10. Maybe play 4 6 0 with Hwang as a false 9 and Raul as a 10.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

No other team have got traditional wingers like ours. And the fact is we ain't going to get anywhere just aping a team. Embrace the differences.
And really playing 4-2-3-1 with podence as one of the 3 is not much different to playing 4-4-2 with Raul as one of the front 2. Raul gives a lot more to our midfield than Podence.

Or perhaps I should rephrase it so it sounds more au fait with the football snobs. We can play 4-2-3-1 with Raul playing as a number 10. Maybe play 4 6 0 with Hwang as a false 9 and Raul as a 10.
Yeah, no other teams buy players to play like that. You are correct, that isn't an accident.

Well Burnley did to be fair.

Could just play 3 midfielders and 3 attackers and move the ball at pace between the lines.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, no other teams buy players to play like that. You are correct, that isn't an accident.

Well Burnley did to be fair.

Could just play 3 midfielders and 3 attackers and move the ball at pace between the lines.
Between the lines. Between the lines. Between the lines.
Your beginning to sound like Bruno.

We didn't score yesterday by breaking the lines.
We scored with a diagonal to neto, who put an early cross in. Hwang some got a head on it. Podence nearly put it over.
All the between the lines **** created **** all.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still believe the line that we can't get the players we want to actually come. I don't see what is that unbelievable about it.
There's definitely a bit of that, but that's to do with the profile of the player. We got Collins in nice and early but he's young, we were offering him a route straight back to the PL and almost guaranteed game time, it wouldn't have been that difficult a decision. You look at Guedes, he might have his sights set higher than Wolves initially, and it takes until later in the window before he comes to the conclusion that we're the best offer he's going to get this summer

What we can't do this window is stay chasing our top targets, those that are perhaps initially reluctant to come, so long that we don't have time to move on to our back up targets

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we over paying again though? Who is leaving us for cheap? That seems to be the thing we pay more but we let players go cheaper. Frustrating
£30m for Guedes doesn’t sound like overpaying, maybe a little since he’s apparently short on contract length.
But it’s not if wholly funded my MGW out to Forest.
Not that I don’t rate him, and he hasn’t had much of a chance to prove himself at top level, but Guedes already has.

Back
Top Bottom