Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all love Coady and understand why we might sell him in a World Cup year. That said - do we have the leaders/voices in the dressing room to step up? Is there a danger we (as an example) could lose the first three (or however many) and want to revert to a three centre back system? Or even Lage gets sacked in Oct and we have sold our captain?

It is probably fairly sensible business - and we need to commit to the new system - but it feels slightly risky given the run Lage has been on since our last PL win.

TWOLF

Reaction score
Selling Coady for less than £20m is a mistake. If we lose a load of games with 4 at the back Bruno may want to revert to a 5 at the back in which case Coady is so important. Don’t forget as well how important Coady is to the dressing room. He’s such a character. There’s a reason Southgate took him to the euro’s but didn’t play him.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has to be Adama because he simply doesnt want to stay here unless we pay him a ridiculous amount of money which he just isnt worth.
Adama sadly seems do believe his own hype.. which lasted about 6-9 months in reality.

I still love to watch him play.. especially as a sub for last 30 mins when we need to open teams up

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am absolutely fuming and upset by this.

This feels like the heart is being ripped from us.

I'm with you. It's a difficult one he probably won't play much as isn't suited to a back 4, he also has a really good opportunity to go to a world cup if he is playing regularly. But I'm still not sure of the back 4, Kilman and Collins I think could make a great partnership with time but both relatively inexperienced and the back 5 is useful. But I think the club are trying to give him his opportunity if he wants this without fighting it out of respect for him.

But if results don't get better it can be really negative to the dressing room atmosphere so I'm nervous. It's a gutsy move for sure

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all love Coady and understand why we might sell him in a World Cup year. That said - do we have the leaders/voices in the dressing room to step up? Is there a danger we (as an example) could lose the first three (or however many) and want to revert to a three centre back system? Or even Lage gets sacked in Oct and we have sold our captain?

It is probably fairly sensible business - and we need to commit to the new system - but it feels slightly risky given the run Lage has been on since our last PL win.
The problem I felt with the new system was that our full backs are wing backs and defensively unreliable.. that’s probably where the focus needs to be on in training.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

£12M seems a bit cheap, but the market sets your value. West Ham offered 8, clubs get how limited of a player he is.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Do we have enough dressing room leaders if Coady leaves?
I don't know about the dressing room but on the pitch yesterday there was no one rallying the players like Coady does with his barking orders or waving arms when the going gets tough. Neves, Collins (youngest captain ever for Stoke?) and Kilman all have leadership qualities. Time for them to show it during games if Coady leaves or continues to bench warm.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll be as sad as anyone to see coady leave; but we can’t spend half of last season and all summer screaming for changes and a team refresh, only to moan when previously main cogs depart!
It is probably the right decision, the key will be in which couple of new players arrive and how the manager implements the new system.

As for the fee, I’m not so surprised if it is as little as 12. Similar fee to what we got for Doc is what I expected.

MontyR

Reaction score
Looked like the writing was on the wall for a while. Both the club and media had been pushing articles and videos about others showing leadership qualities, such as Neves and Kilman, far before any Coady rumours were out.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don't know about the dressing room but on the pitch yesterday there was no one rallying the players like Coady does with his barking orders or waving arms when the going gets tough. Neves, Collins (youngest captain ever for Stoke?) and Kilman all have leadership qualities. Time for them to show it during games if Coady leaves or continues to bench warm.
Possibly just me but I found the guys waving their arms around to show they were doing something annoying when I played with them. I don't think Coady does that, he organises the defence well (although tbf last season and season before we've had some absolute horror shows miles worst than yesterday) but the "being loud" thing can be for show as well.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
12 million for an England international who makes every squad and is the captain of a top half prem team, still in his position 20’s is outrageously bad business from our perspective. In addition to all that he is one of the best leaders and best blokes in the whole of the league.

Absolutely gutted if he leaves for anything less than represents good value on our behalf. Good value starts at 25m for me.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can't play in a 2, a high line and is poor in the air. Terrible 1v1 and constantly needs help defensively. If he was as good as some people think on here it would be more then 12m and we wouldn't be selling him. People act like he's like Thiago Silva.
How do you know he can’t play in a two?

You’re assuming a lot here and underselling his considerable attributes. Lots of respect for your knowledge but find your lack of appreciation for Coady unbelievable.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hope we've included a clause in the Neves renewal that includes he adopt a Scouse accent on match days and shout constantly for very little reason otherwise despite molineux rocking it's going to be awfully quiet on that pitch. Going to miss our cap.

W

WasStefan

The only other rationale I can think of is the money is up front.
Most transfers are with limited add ons. But we sell Coady for £12m thats £12m and wages off the accounts. We could replace Coady’s wage with Guedes, pay £30m for Guedes over 5 years and make a £6m profit in the first year of Guedes contract and break even after 2 years.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Playing devils advocate on losing Coady’s leadership (because I’m a fan and highly rate his leadership)….

During our collapse last season, the team seemed to run out of organisation, leadership and motivation on the pitch. And Coady was out there, playing.

It could just be that the time is right for both sides. Fresh lineup for Wolves, a new dressing room for Coady.

Good luck to him. A club legend.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We spent 25m on Collins to ensure that we can play with 4 at the back. To get half that back on Coady makes sense. Obviously Coady is a top man, but everybody runs their course, and if he gets 2 or 3 years more at Everton, that's a win win in my book.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He might not even get much game time at Everton but I bet you he won’t stand for some of the nonsense that has gone on at that club in recent seasons. He could have a hugely positive impact there. Gutted.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Need to move on from the best quality been a leader or well never progress. Need better footballing ability

...though hopefully we can squeeze 15m outta them.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
12 million for an England international who makes every squad and is the captain of a top half prem team, still in his position 20’s is outrageously bad business from our perspective. In addition to all that he is one of the best leaders and best blokes in the whole of the league.

Absolutely gutted if he leaves for anything less than represents good value on our behalf. Good value starts at 25m for me.
Agreed.. I can only assume Bruno sees an incredible future for Collins and Kilman (which is plausible), and we are being respectful to Coadys needs.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looked like the writing was on the wall for a while. Both the club and media had been pushing articles and videos about others showing leadership qualities, such as Neves and Kilman, far before any Coady rumours were out.

I've been saying this, they were really putting emphasis on Kilman and Neves having the armband all pre season. Then when Collins signed alot of the articles were saying how much of a leader he is at such a young age, I'd argue he's club captain this time next year if he doesn't turn out to be utter ****e ....

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins gave the pre-match huddle speech, which was good to see. I think he'll grow into our leader quite quickly.

W

WasStefan

How do you know he can’t play in a two?

You’re assuming a lot here and underselling his considerable attributes. Lots of respect for your knowledge but find your lack of appreciation for Coady unbelievable.
Oh come on.

Fact is talking and shouting at other players and being a pleasant person doesnt make up for the fact he is seriously lacking defensively

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if this could mean we see something about Andre Silva on a L2B, presuming that “Molineux Insider” account is real and not a WUM. Believe they claimed we’d see movement in the striker department after a German club get someone in… wishful thinking but you never know

Been a target of ours for years.. I had lost belief that signing long term targets ever actually happened.. but the Guedes rumours have maybe changed that

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Possibly just me but I found the guys waving their arms around to show they were doing something annoying when I played with them. I don't think Coady does that, he organises the defence well (although tbf last season and season before we've had some absolute horror shows miles worst than yesterday) but the "being loud" thing can be for show as well.
I know what you mean. Actions speak louder than words and gestures but Coady does throw his arms up to motivate his fellow players when things get tricky, they way some players do to try and motivate the crowd. Thought we missed a bit of that when Leeds got in behind us on a quite few occasions yesterday.

T

TheConcourse

Would have preferred between £15-20m for Coads. Some of the figures people are throwing around must live on an alternative planet.

£20m+ for a player who hasn’t proven anything outside of a back 3 in a very defensive side, at 29 years old - come on now.

There could also be an element of Wolves not pricing him out of a move too. He deserves the utmost respect here.

Ability wise he’s a Championship CM/very well protected PL CB in a 3.

Cracking guy, but Wolves have been absolutely immense for Coady’s career - or more specifically, Nuno.

Wish the guy all the luck in the world. Led the team through the best moments I’ve had following Wolves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh come on.

Fact is talking and shouting at other players and being a pleasant person doesnt make up for the fact he is seriously lacking defensively

I dont think he can play in a 2 how Bruno wants us to play, He just doesnt have the attributes but I still dont think until you see him actually play there for a while you could ever write him off totally. I doubt the majority of people thought he could play at the back in the first place. For me, its all going to depend on the system if he succeeds in a 4.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Werner to Leipzig could very well be one of those chess pieces Wolves were waiting on.

Since we gained promotion we've wanted Silva and Guedes playing for us.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Actions and gestures speak louder than words but Coady does throw his arms up to motivate his fellow players when things get tricky, they way some players do to try and motivate the crowd. Thought we missed a bit of that when Leeds got in behind us on a quite few occasions yesterday.
It definitely helps having a spare man organising the full backs.. could see Kilman and Collins looked a bit pre-occupied at times to do it.. which leaves the GK doing the organising and we haven’t seen Sa with that responsibility yet.

All this stuff is training ground work though, so with time hopefully we will iron it out.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would have preferred between £15-20m for Coads. Some of the figure people are throwing around must live on an alternative planet.

£20m+ for a player who hasn’t proven anything outside of a back 3 in a very defensive side, at 29 years old - come on now.

There could also be an element of Wolves not pricing him out of a move.

Ability wise he’s a Championship CM/very well protected PL CB in a 3.

Cracking guy, but Wolves have been absolutely immense for Coady’s career - or more specifically, Nuno.

Wish the guy all the luck in the world. Led the team through the best moments I’ve had following Wolves.

29 isnt old really in modern football. Most players who look after themselves hit their peak years at around that 28-32 year age range.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wonder if this could mean we see something about Andre Silva on a L2B, presuming that “Molineux Insider” account is real and not a WUM. Believe they claimed we’d see movement in the striker department after a German club get someone in… wishful thinking but you never know

The account was a WUM.... but it still might be true.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But this doesn’t matter Bill, he’s only worth £12m.

I think anything less than 20 million and this is poor by our club, NWW. Really concerned at the lack of leaders in the squad now. Ruddy, Saiss, Coady gone. We really could do with bringing in a couple of players who are leaders.

Willenhall wanderer

Reaction score
I would be sad to see Coady leave but we have Kilman,Collins,Boly,Gomes and Mosquera at CB so we are well covered there but that doesn’t mean selling him for£12 million he is a current England International so we should be asking for at least £25 million for him

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling to Everton for £12m is a really poor deal and is strengthening a relegation rival to boot. I don't buy this doing him a favour with the world cup for his service. Coady has been brilliant for us, but we have been since Fosun brilliant for him. There's no way he's close to the England squad before Nuno converted him and how successful the club has been since then.

Back
Top Bottom