Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the thing. The only way we should be selling is if we have a deal for a better player (i.e. Ramos) already agreed.

If we don’t, then we simply don’t sell MGW as we don’t have any quality cover or competition in his position. In fact, I’d argue that as it stands, with the exception of right-back when Semedo is fit, we don’t have any real strength in depth in any position.

Seems relatively simple to me and I’ve always historically supported the Club around our dealings. But the decisions around Traore and Fabio have left me concerned that we may not have all our ducks in a row here.
Well said and agree completely.

No problem with him going for a big fee.

Every problem with him going for a big fee and then no plan in place to sort out next steps.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If someone this time last year had said we’d get offered £30m for him we wold have snapped their hand off. He’s had a very good season in the Championship but one of the frequent observations is he tries lots of tricks and flicks and gives the ball away a lot. That would be a much bigger issue in the PL. I completely agree that there is no guarantee a replacement would be effective but those saying that seem to be overlooking the fact that a MGW is far from proven and talking about him as if he is Phil Foden.

If we genuinely have no money to spend without a player being sold I think £30m is a good deal but it needs to be invested wisely. Mendes needs to sort us a couple and be quick about it.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
The fact we keep rejecting bids means it’s not a done deal.

On the one side, we don’t need to sell, he’s seemed to enjoy pre season and he’s an important part of the team for this year, so I’d say he’s not going anywhere bar a crazy bid we can’t turn down (£40-50m)

On the other side it’s weird that we’ve not come out and definitively said he’s not leaving, and that leaves this space for speculation.

Personally I hope he stays, I’m looking forward to seeing him as part of our new attacking 4 at the back lineup.
Wolves have never engaged in the media shenanigans since Fosun took over. So I wouldn’t expect them to say anything anyway. They are not obliged to. Unfortunately you are correct and then that speculation goes into overdrive.

I’m sure Morgan and the club have had a sit down about his future. If he’s indicated he flat out wont sign a new contract then surely he’d be off but I don’t think that is the case.

He won’t be sold this window. Despite what all the numpties are saying.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the thing. The only way we should be selling is if we have a deal for a better player (i.e. Ramos) already agreed.

If we don’t, then we simply don’t sell MGW as we don’t have any quality cover or competition in his position. In fact, I’d argue that as it stands, with the exception of right-back when Semedo is fit, we don’t have any real strength in depth in any position.

Seems relatively simple to me and I’ve always historically supported the Club around our dealings. But the decisions around Traore and Fabio have left me concerned that we may not have all our ducks in a row here.
Bang on. If we play 433 at the moment the only place where there is genuine competition is at right back when Semedo is back. The next most competitive place is Sa vs Sarkic.

If you change system completely then you have to sodding well make sure you give the manager a squad capable of playing in it. He couldn’t do it last season and we’ve added a CB since, it’s not good enough unless we sign another 3 or 4 players before the window.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't say one way or another if I would sell or not simply because I don't know what Jeff knows. What's the deal on offer for MGW, and more to the point who do the recruitment team (or uncle Gorge) think they can get as a replacement?

Every season in every league there is always a player or two that have a massive breakout season and their value rises. May be the MGW money can be used to find those under the radar talents before their value rises.

Look at MGW, if anyone had offered £6m+ for him a month before he went to Sheffield on loan 90% of people on here would have taken the money.

Across the football World there must be a couple of dozen future MGW's waiting for their breakout year. Use the MGW money to get three or four of them in and it's a good deal - you just have to believe in your recruitment team.

I always want an home grown lad to do well, but when the fee is pushing £30m and more, that is starting to get to fund three very promising alternatives.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree.

Being logical about it. If Forest are offering 30m+ and Morgan is happy to move there, then it’s good business for a player who is yet to fully prove himself. In my mind, it’s similarly good to the offer that Liverpool made for Jota.

But… Timing and what we do with the money received is just as important. It’s now 30 hours before the start of the season, with real points at stake. We still don’t have a fit striker, and our midfield remains threadbare. The one slight redeeming relief in that fiasco, is a set of fit forwards who can make chances, with Morgan as an attacking mid / number 10. Podence can, to an extent, play that part but in the absence of a fit striker, we will need to play an U23 to make up the numbers.

To replace Morgan with a proven upgrade is not going to happen in a few days. We will be lucky to get that kind of business done by deadline day, and there are 5 games and 15 points at stake before then. Since this appears to be Forest driving the schedule, I have no confidence that Morgan will be replaced within the week, and perhaps not even during this window.

waltononthehillwolf

Reaction score
Ill be disappointed to see MGW go - I dont feel we've given him a chance - the last 2 pre-seasons where he has been exciting to watch - he will be great for Forest if he goes there - I wish him all the best

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It's awful from Wolves but also **** MGW.

All that **** all summer about how he just wanted to play football, now he's joining a club that are at best a sidewards move but, more to the point, one where he might not play! In fact, he will find it much harder to get in Forest's side with Brennan Johnson & Jesse Lingard than he will here.

So, as we should've always known, it was about the money.
What a petulant, pant ****ing, pathetic rant. Absolute peak idiocy.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang on. If we play 433 at the moment the only place where there is genuine competition is at right back when Semedo is back. The next most competitive place is Sa vs Sarkic.

If you change system completely then you have to sodding well make sure you give the manager a squad capable of playing in it. He couldn’t do it last season and we’ve added a CB since, it’s not good enough unless we sign another 3 or 4 players before the window.
Says it all really. Next competive place is Sa v Sarkic. No contest.

Reactions: Ned
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If he won't sign a new deal then you have to take £30M but he'll play for England one day. Hope there is a sell on clause as well

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming we bring in a central midfielder and a striker (I know, but the club have said they are trying).

I think Gibbs-White’s place in the squad then comes down to Traore.

I don’t think Bruno sees MGW as a midfield option, even in a 3. He’s perhaps too forward thinking. He’s been almost exclusively used as a right sided attacker in pre-season.

It looks like 433 is the preference, so 3 spots for forward players.

When all fit, it’s likely we have….

Jimenez, Neto, Podence and Hwang, plus a new striker, plus one of Traore or Gibbs-White.

6 for 3 positions is a lot. 7 would be far too much.

Out of all those, Jimenez, Neto, Traore would probably be the preferred 3 if Traore stays. It would probably be Jimenez, Neto, Podence if Traore leaves.

So take the short-term out of the equation and Gibbs-White has a lot to do to force his way in as a starter here when everyone is fit. That’s even before anyone new comes along.

And no one knows what Traore wants either!!!

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said at the start of the thread happy to see him stay but if we get mega money I'm easy with him going.

I don't see the messiah like adulation that our season depends on MGW. He's never been more than a bit part player for us with one good season in the the championship.

My only proviso is, if we sell we spend it immediately on player(s) we have lined up.

Ramos forMGW I would take

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming we bring in a central midfielder and a striker (I know, but the club have said they are trying).

I don’t think Bruno sees MGW as a midfield option, even in a 3. He’s perhaps too forward thinking. He’s been almost exclusively used as a right sided attacker in pre-season.

Jimenez, Neto, Podence and Hwang, plus a new striker, plus one of Traore or Gibbs-White.

Out of all those, Jimenez, Neto, Traore would probably be the preferred 3 if Traore stays. It would probably be Jimenez, Neto, Podence if Traore leaves.

So take the short-term out of the equation and Gibbs-White has a lot to do to force his way in as a starter here when everyone is fit. That’s even before anyone new comes along.

Trouble is only one of those is anywhere near being a regular goal scorer. Bruno said it when he first took the job and has re-emphasised it several times since: there’s not enough goals in the team. Whether his decision to go with a four at the back changes that we will soon find out.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be very interesting to know what financial package we have offered him, and what is on offer from forest?
Wouldn’t make sense for him to want to move for any other reason than money.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Traore wants out or a contract that we won’t offer him. He’s not the long term solution, and there is little sign that Lage sees him as the preferred option wide right even if he did stay. He just doesn’t interchange with the other forwards like the others do. Even Trincao was more effective in that respect.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

As I said at the start of the thread happy to see him stay but if we get mega money I'm easy with him going.

I don't see the messiah like adulation that our season depends on MGW. He's never been more than a bit part player for us with one good season in the the championship.

My only proviso is, if we sell we spend it immediately on player(s) we have lined up.

Ramos forMGW I would take
Don't really get why people are so obsessed with Ramos tbh. Only year younger than MGW and average numbers in a league that apart from the top teams is similar in quality to the championship.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that Cooper was having a little moan about the amount of players Forest have brought in (12 so far). He’d have preferred a few additions to the Championship squad.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't really get why people are so obsessed with Ramos tbh. Only year younger than MGW and average numbers in a league that apart from the top teams is similar in quality to the championship.
He's a 6ft1 goalscorer. Different to the plethora of tiny forwards we currently have and has played European football.

MGW had a good game against Chelsea for us then not much.

I'd say the Portuguese league has demonstrated itself to be breeding ground for talent far in excess of whT the championship has mustered

henri_camara

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
sorry to say guys, but I'm fairly sure we will be disappointed with 0 reinvestment if he is sold.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He's a 6ft1 goalscorer. Different to the plethora of tiny forwards we currently have and has played European football.

MGW had a good game against Chelsea for us then not much.

I'd say the Portuguese league has demonstrated itself to be breeding ground for talent far in excess of whT the championship has mustered
He has scored 7 goals in about 18 games worth of minutes last season. Hardly proven himself has he?

Stourwolf

Reaction score
Does anybody think we will use the money at all?
We have to believe we will.but to be truthful who knows !! Jeff seem to want to destroy the squad.
I understand we trade within our means,,,but I don’t understand not looking at free transfers then…

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol…! Like that’s even remotely true. :tearsofjoy:
Actually it is….. based on what I have heard this is what is said about some owners in the league by other clubs:

The glazers are roundly mocked for their Man Utd on the pitch work, but the other owners do listen when they talk about the branding and marketablity and how they do so well in commercial arrangements as Man Utd have done massive deals and create new sponsorship opportunities that others hadn’t though of before and copied for example they have a sponsor for their training ground bottles…..

there is a massive amount of respect for Stavely at Newcastle even if the other owners aren’t happy about their financial over lords.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If he scores at that ratio for Wolves we won't be moaning.

One thing i know is we won't score any headers currently
There aren't many players who increase their scoring rate going from Portuguese league to the Prem. I'd have him here but idea he is anywhere near £20M is fanciful

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're going to look like such a moron this time next year, irrespective of where he is playing
Am I? Why, what do you think he is going to do? Break into the England setup? Play European football? Do you really think he's going to the very top? We talking good enough for the big 4?
If you feel that way, put a stamp on it, rather than condescend everybody who doesn't.
If he's just going to be a good to fair premier league player, one that doesn't seem that ***** about resigning, then it won't be me that looks like the moron.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
30M is only a lot because his contract expires in 2 years.
He's 22 and seems to develop fast now. In 3 years, his value will be twice that, probably being an England international and a well established PL player by then.
I understand the need to cash in, if he wouldnt renew, but otherwise it doesnt make sense. 30M is nothing compared to what he will be worth.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s idiotic about it?

Are Forest not a sidewards move?
Will he play ahead of Lingard & Johnson?
Forest would be mad to sign him without wanting him as a nailed on starter. Unless it's the chairman playing football manager which can't totally be ruled outside considering who he is.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
30M is only a lot because his contract expires in 2 years.
He's 22 and seems to develop fast now. In 3 years, his value will be twice that, probably being an England international and a well established PL player by then.
I understand the need to cash in, if he wouldnt renew, but otherwise it doesnt make sense. 30M is nothing compared to what he will be worth.

Nothing fact about what he will be worth. He could well be crap the next 5 months and drop to 10m value.

All this hell be worth 60m *******s in the 3 years. One of the greatest midfielders we've ever had in our team still can't fetch 60m.

Back
Top Bottom