Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if André Silva is the main target but will be a drawn out transfer with Chelsea wanting strikers before they let Werner leave. Hwang Could be a back up plan if things don't happen the way we want them too

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if we had loads of cash to splash we are not signing a big name striker. They are out of reach as they will want to play for one of the sly six or top European clubs.

Only Man City and Chelsea broke the mould by being able to throw endless pots of cash on transfer fees and wages pre ffp. Think Newcastle with all the wealth behind them will struggle to repeat what Man City and Chelsea achieved, unless they blatantly ignore ffp and pay way over the odds to attract mercenary players who value money over European football.

Our fans need a reality check. We are not signing big name strikers. We are likely to pursue players either on the fringe of other teams, like Raul and Jota, and take a punt on a l2b basis or young prospect like Fabio and hope they develop into the next big thing or someone who is low risk but potentially undervalued, like Hwang. The last time we signed a proven big name goalscorer was Andy Gray over 40 years ago!
"Sly six" - unsure if a typo or intended but either way l love it.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Esports are massive in Korea, not saying there’s a link with us being interested in another Korean but it does give us more exposure over there

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I'd consistently predicted something with certainty, and it had consistently not happened, I think I'd stop saying it, because I'd worry about making myself look silly.

September last year:

January 2021

September 2020

September 2019

December 2018

And my absolute favourite, from May 2017:
Wow...you've absolutely destroyed them there :oops:
Any aloe vera for @RosehillWolf ?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question, do you just want them to sign someone even if they’re not an improvement? For me this is the problem, we don’t have the money to build a large squad of players who won’t actually play, so anyone who comes in has to actually challenge Raul for the starting spot, that narrows down the field massively as there aren’t that many that are better than him, and most of them will be out of our reach financially or other clubs won’t want to sell because why would they. So we have to look at players who may be better than Raul given time and that’s a hard thing to judge, and as shown by Cutrone and Hwang and to an extent Fabio can be a very expensive mistake.

Basically what I’m saying is it’s not “incompetence” not to have signed a striker yet, it’s simply not an easy process. Look at how even Man United with their spending power and resources can’t just go and get who they want
The problem isn't that they don't want to bring in someone who won't improve the squad because the money isn't there, it's that they can't find players within budget that will improve us. I don't need a Nunes or Kessie - a Fernandez type signing would do, or dare I say it another Sa. I find it hard to believe there are no players available in the wide world of football that would come to Wolves that could improve us - Bissouma, Mac Allister, Guehi, Oliseh, Burn, Tomiyasu, Cucurella, Cornet Livramento...... None of them broke the bank, we probably would have turned our noses up at all of them before they joined their respective clubs, and yet they've all improved their sides to some degree and offered important options. Some may see those players as squad fillers, but there's nothing to stop them playing out of their skins and cementing their place in the first team. It just requires good scouting and a bit of luck - we managed it with Sa and Podence so it is possible.

If we are, like some have suggested, of the mindset we are not going to improve with £10-20m players, but would rather wait for £30-50m players, then we are going to find out very quickly tomorrow never comes.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I'd consistently predicted something with certainty, and it had consistently not happened, I think I'd stop saying it, because I'd worry about making myself look silly.

September last year:

January 2021

September 2020

September 2019

December 2018

Any other titbits from your dossier? Maybe his daily schedule? Or some salacious photos of him secretly meeting his mistress? Did searching his bins turn up anything useful?

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

September last year:

January 2021

September 2020

September 2019

December 2018

Good old Rosy! He is nothing if not consistent in his pessimism. I love it myself even though I don’t agree with a word of it.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Finish fifth or finish sixth
We’ll finish bottom said The Mix
Gold and Black and sometimes white
They would always win the fight

Hwang Hwang, they’ll shoot you down
Hwang Hwang, you’ll hit the ground
Hwang Hwang, that awful sound
Hwang Hwang, the Wanderers shot you down

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

September last year:

January 2021

September 2020

September 2019

December 2018

I don't know why you're deriding him @Flump. I, for one, am looking forward to our impending season in the Conference North.

I suppose this goes someway to disprove the old adage that a broken clock is right twice a day. This one seems to skip past the right times

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

September last year:

January 2021

September 2020

September 2019

December 2018

If you say something enough times you may be right once or maybe not

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I strongly doubt Andre Silva will be joining us. I think Boubacar Traore is the most likely midfield signing, with Hwang (new) being our back up to Raul.

TheTwoPigeons

Groupie
Reaction score
I think the club have severely underestimated how big an impact 5 subs will be in the premier league. Lots of the top teams have a second 11 that could finish mid table or higher in the league and absolutely will be taking advantage of the 5 subs despite having more games to play.

Our second string I don't think could get out of the championship (maybe we wouldn't concede many goals but no chance at scoring any!)

It was just about acceptable when every club was forced to play certain players to get around the lack of subs because our tired players would be up against their tired players but with the change this season that simply won't happen.

There will not be any easy games and if we get any injury to a centre midfielder or a striker (as we have now) we have zero proven backup.

Shambles.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

September last year:

January 2021

September 2020

September 2019

December 2018

Talking about a bloke who clearly isn’t a wolves fan. You’ve missed his annual post with his bet on us for relegation. He’s absolutely desperate for us to be back in the championship for some reason.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers wasn’t one to rehash other articles though. So either Steve sucks at his job (very possible) or Fosun gave him a green light.
I don't think he has the Fosun links and I don't think they'll have given him anything. I just think he doesn't know anything.

No problem with that - The Athletic trades on its being a more analytic take on sport as opposed to exclusive Reuters still news.

So one questions why he's posting something that should appear in a local rag? If it was framed more as a tactical analysis of Wolves' potential new signing, ding. But....it's not.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Presumably the Summer transfers have hinged and continue to hinge on Ruben.

Sell him (for £60m say) and we suddenly can buy Nunes (or equivalent) plus a £20m striker and a back-up midfielder.

Don’t sell him and we suddenly are looking for a much cheaper striker option and back-up midfielder.

Not redebating why we let Silva go but can understand challenges.

Do we buy now assuming Neves stays and then find he goes and suddenly who we want/can access changes.

Personal view is we’ll limp through the next couple of weeks with limited strikers/false no. 9 and then things will pick up.

As Nuno said when we bought in Bonatini the day before the season started the easiest player to integrate is the striker (although still would like him earlier!).

Still glass half full and no pitchforks. Late August might be onto half-hourly refresh though….

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we fight off the giants that are Nottingham Forest?
I'd bloody hope so. A club of our stature who want to keep a player presumably won't lose him to a newly promoted team.

I actually really rate MGW now and think he's a very strong player. But I can't get away from the belief that this is going to be his peak value. If we don't sell at peak value, we haven't cracked this 'self-sustainable' model thingymajigg!

Then again, based on the window so far, I'm not particularly confident in our abilities to replace him with a comparable player.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sell him (for £60m say) and we suddenly can buy Nunes (or equivalent) plus a £20m striker and a back-up midfielder.

Don’t sell him and we suddenly are looking for a much cheaper striker option and back-up midfielder.

Do we buy now assuming Neves stays and then find he goes and suddenly who we want/can access changes.

Personal view is we’ll limp through the next couple of weeks with limited strikers/false no. 9 and then things will pick up.

As Nuno said when we bought in Bonatini the day before the season started the easiest player to integrate is the striker (although still would like him earlier!).

Still glass half full and no pitchforks. Late August might be onto half-hourly refresh though….
**** me, we need new owners with some ambition before it's too late

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest have apparently done a lot of deals with his agent this summer.

I’m starting to get a bit ****ed off with it all to be honest.

MGW knows he’s going to play for us now and the reality is he’s not going to start at Forest.

Jesse Lingard is obviously going to start otherwise he’d go elsewhere and Brennan Johnson is their golden boy.

Of course, the sub rule means MGW would feature every game for Forest but he ain’t going there and instantly becoming the main man.

So if he wants to do that, just do it - and it seems clear he does. Otherwise that contract would be signed.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£5m to Wolves, at least double that for anybody else. I personally don’t think this deal can really be used as a yardstick because Mendes literally gave us one of the best midfielders we’ve had for relative peanuts.
I think we can. People use the silva £35m price tag

But get your point. It was a ‘favour’

T

TheConcourse

The thing that kinda frustrates me is that Fosun have the money to hedge against future deals for players.

So you could confidently say, barring a bad injury, that Neves will probably leave next summer for a similar price/more than it would cost to acquire Nunes now.

RAN is clearly on an upward trajectory and could bring in some interesting offers next summer.

We have some real quality young players that we could surely sell in the future and enable us to become a little more risky in moments like now where 2 quality players would make a big difference.

I’m struggling to understand why we aren’t moving before the rebuild becomes an absolute monster. The only logic that I can apply is that Fosun want out. Or the market is just very very tough to do deals.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gold and Black and sometimes white
They would always win the fight

Hwang Hwang, they’ll shoot you down
Hwang Hwang, you’ll hit the ground
Hwang Hwang, that awful sound
Hwang Hwang, the Wanderers shot you down

Sir, I salute you. That is now officially stuck in my head.

Back
Top Bottom