Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Robbie Keane (technically)
Pukki
kevin phillips
yakubu
andrew johnson
ivan toney
mitrovic

Now granted most of this are just players who have managed 10 goals in a season, so this is my criteria (not smashing it persay)

4 of those are 10+ years ago at least though. Pukki is a good call.

Toney I like, but penalties were a major part of his tally last season. Albeit they all count of course.

Mitrovic is pretty much the epitome of what I'm talking about. 40 something goals last season. I'll be very surprised if he hits double figures this campaign.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Generally speaking, prolific Championship strikers don't continue their prolific scoring in the Premier League, as being prolific in the Premier League is so much harder.

But loads have made the step up in recent times to be decent or good PL strikers. Maupay and Toney as you mention, Deeney, Ings, Wood, Murray, Pukki, Watkins, Bamford, etc.

That's all we need really. A decent, target man striker to give Raul competition. Loads of people turn their noses up at players like Benteke, Wood, Pukki or your Glen Murrays of the past, but they all know how to put the ball in the net, which is the hardest thing to do in football!

It would be great to find a prolific striker, but the reality is we wont. Someone who can contribute between 5-10 goals a season and take some pressure of Raul and other players in terms of goalscoring would be perfect.

I watched Watford last night and their starting front 3 was Lucas Joao down the middle, with Emmanuel Dennis and Isamael Sarr behind. Joao wasn't brilliant, but he did his job as a target man very well. He would not be near the top of my list, but as an option if no others are available, he would be fine.

Brereton Diaz has shown that he can really improve his game. Whether he has hit is ceiling I don't know, but he's young and seems to have the desire to improve. Perfect for us at the right price!

Good post. There's a lot I agree with there.

I think one way in which we've gone wrong the past few years is by only targeting players who'll immediately improve the first team, whilst somewhat neglecting those who will be good squad players. We often put all our eggs in a basket that would be a fantastic signing, but rarely get them over the line, and ultimately end up with no one.

Just having a decent CM alternative would have helped us massively last season for example. And it looks like it's going to be the same again i.e. with the Nunes saga.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Toney I like, but penalties were a major part of his tally last season. Albeit they all count of course.

Mitrovic is pretty much the epitome of what I'm talking about. 40 something goals last season. I'll be very surprised if he hits double figures this campaign.
Yet everyone is expecting the world and more off MGW.

R

reanswolf

I am finding it hard to believe we are actively looking for players. It’s becoming a bit of farce now.

Are we really looking? Unless players leave and we have some money I personally don’t think so. It would explain why the Itk info hadn’t come to fruition, numerous irons in the fire but no triggers pulled, so to speak.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet everyone is expecting the world and more off MGW.
He is still developing, I expect him to be around (better) than Trincao (who cost Barc aound 30M euros in 2020). Good attitude and he cannot do too much wrong. Yes he will make mistakes but that is part of learning.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not necessarily mate. I see him as hopefully more of a creative link up player who chips in with the odd goal, rather than being a main source. Time will tell I suppose.
Problem is that is what I expect all of our front 3 right now, and I don't know where the hell the goals are going to come from!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's easy when you're selling a 50/50 chance of a league title, Champions League football and the chance to be paid more for your level than you would at any other club.
By that logic, why haven’t Leeds struggled then? They were crap last season and only just stayed up and they have signed players and i believe one or two more very close to being over the line.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Frustrating seeing how quickly other clubs move.
Bit easier when you have a bottomless pit of money. Also, City have been fannying around trying to sign Cucurella for weeks but Brighton were stubbornly refusing any bids below £50m. Looks like Chelsea have bid £50m and gazumped them. That didn't move quickly for Man City at all. Also take note that Newcastle have been trying to sign a striker for the whole window without any success.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just been told to still expect 3 additions... 50/50 that one will be done before the Leeds game but likely not soon enough to play a part.

I know nothing has come to fruition yet, which is why I'm not banging on about it... still a rumour and nothing more until proven otherwise... but those 3 players would be a much needed striker, an exciting young wide forward and the long needed addition of a forward thinking CM.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am finding it hard to believe we are actively looking for players. It’s becoming a bit of farce now.

Are we really looking? Unless players leave and we have some money I personally don’t think so. It would explain why the Itk info hadn’t come to fruition, numerous irons in the fire but no triggers pulled, so to speak.

I don't understand - you start off saying we're not looking for players, but then say we have irons in the fire but don't get it over the line - they can't both be true?

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just been told to still expect 3 additions... 50/50 that one will be done before the Leeds game but likely not soon enough to play a part.

I know nothing has come to fruition yet, which is why I'm not banging on about it... still a rumour and nothing more until proven otherwise... but those 3 players would be a much needed striker, an exciting young wide forward and the long needed addition of a forward thinking CM.

Thx again

I know you just pass stuff on but I do like your optimism

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Osario I would hope is one.
A lump of a forward
And a superb midfielder.

R

reanswolf

Thanks Lobo.

Appreciate you sticking your neck out here. Absolute fair play.

I will believe it when I see it tho, but want to believe Wolves.

R

reanswolf

I don't understand - you start off saying we're not looking for players, but then say we have irons in the fire but don't get it over the line - they can't both be true?
I didn’t think it was really that hard to understand, and I don’t really know how to explain it to you more clearly.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exciting young wide forward - still could be osorio? unless madueke (would be a dream)

Let see if the CF can be over the line Friday, that would mean he wouldnt play against leeds but still a signing

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You wonder how Brighton keep finding players with how 'difficult' the market is.....Cucurella, Moder, Trossard, Mewpu, Lamptey, Sarmiento, Caicedo, Mac Allister, Alzate and now Mitoma and Enciso. Granted not every signing comes off for them, and it's easier to strengthen when you're in the bottom five, but they do consistently find top talent in that £10-20m category and will more than double their money on Bissouma and Cucurella alone

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t think it was really that hard to understand, and I don’t really know how to explain it to you more clearly.

Well, do you think we're not looking for players, or do you think we're looking but not able to get the signing done?

Because if it's the latter, it can't be the former. And vice versa.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mitrovic has had three full seasons in the premier league and done well in two of them. 9 in 34 and 11 in 37. Last one got 3 in 27 and other appearances came in half a season when he fell out with the manager with 1 in 6

I wouldn't write him off.

R

reanswolf

Well, do you think we're not looking for players, or do you think we're looking but not able to get the signing done?

Because if it's the latter, it can't be the former. And vice versa.
What bit of waiting to get the money in first did you not understand?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great news!

No one can judge you for sharing info about potential wolves signings and them not coming off just yet, the sunken titanic moves faster than our transfers do so you still have weeks to still be correct before the pitch forks come out lol

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post. There's a lot I agree with there.

I think one way in which we've gone wrong the past few years is by only targeting players who'll immediately improve the first team, whilst somewhat neglecting those who will be good squad players. We often put all our eggs in a basket that would be a fantastic signing, but rarely get them over the line, and ultimately end up with no one.

Just having a decent CM alternative would have helped us massively last season for example. And it looks like it's going to be the same again i.e. with the Nunes saga.
Both Nuno and Bruno have been reluctant to use squad players. Nuno gave MGW and Vitinha limited game time and Cundle was largely unused. Even Chiquinho only got limited minutes. If you want squad players to develop and improve you need to use them more.

Any youngster looking to move would look at how we’ve used other young players and could well decide their opportunities will be limited compared to elsewhere.

dnf14

Reaction score
Exciting young wide forward - still could be osorio? unless madueke (would be a dream)

Let see if the CF can be over the line Friday, that would mean he wouldnt play against leeds but still a signing
Madueke's done his ankle and is out 'til next year.

westside wolf

Reaction score
You wonder how Brighton keep finding players with how 'difficult' the market is.....Cucurella, Moder, Trossard, Mewpu, Lamptey, Sarmiento, Caicedo, Mac Allister, Alzate and now Mitoma and Enciso. Granted not every signing comes off for them, and it's easier to strengthen when you're in the bottom five, but they do consistently find top talent in that £10-20m category and will more than double their money on Bissouma and Cucurella alone

without meaning to let the truth get in the way, but how many of those players were signed in the current market exactly?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many mins did he play in the appearances
20/21
Serie A
Serie AGenoa CFC32311.0381-15121---209'1.671'

1671 mins for 8 goals

209 mins per goal

21/22
Serie A
Serie AAS Roma37281.3934-2342---255'766'

766 mins last year
255 mins per goal

As comparison

Rauls best season 190 mins per goal

19/20
Premier League
Premier LeagueWolverhampton Wanderers38381.55176-1173--4191'3.252'

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Nuno and Bruno have been reluctant to use squad players. Nuno gave MGW and Vitinha limited game time and Cundle was largely unused. Even Chiquinho only got limited minutes. If you want squad players to develop and improve you need to use them more.

Any youngster looking to move would look at how we’ve used other young players and could well decide their opportunities will be limited compared to elsewhere.
This in very very big shovels.

Back
Top Bottom