Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves vs Farense

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been least impressed by Hwang, Coady and Boly. Seems to be confirming what we suspected, that Coady and Boly can't play in this kind of system. Both uncomfortable playing at a higher tempo. Would have Toti as backup to Kilman and Collins at this rate. Hwang is just Hwang. Can hardly believe this is the same Hwang who played his first few games for us. At least that one looked reasonably competent, if not a world beater. Does he have a twin?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been least impressed by Hwang, Coady and Boly. Seems to be confirming what we suspected, that Coady and Boly can't play in this kind of system. Both uncomfortable playing at a higher tempo. Would have Toti as backup to Kilman and Collins at this rate. Hwang is just Hwang. Can hardly believe this is the same Hwang who played his first few games for us. At least that one looked reasonably competent, if not a world beater. Does he have a twin?
I know right....that goalscoring dynamic runner of early last season has been replaced by someone or something!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
might be a contentious comment but this second string is woeful but as is our competition even westt ham, villa, Newcastle, Everton etc they all don't have a really good 2nd xi.

but ours is really typically poor right now.

in this team hwang coady and boly don't look like strong prem players... very poor.

silva really would do a better job than hwang I hope we can recall him in jan

rather toti and mosquera than the two of coady and boly they look unable to change slow and an aeging wolves

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
COVID has killed Boly as a footballer, was a monster before then. Now he's slow and off the pace.

As for Coady, would be ideal to keep around for the transition to a new playing style but surely we can't possibly turn down £20-25million for example if Newcastle are still interested. We need the cash.

And Hwang.......a woeful signing in every sense, purely brought in for non-footballing reasons.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
COVID has killed Boly as a footballer, was a monster before then. Now he's slow and off the pace.

As for Coady, would be ideal to keep around for the transition to a new playing style but surely we can't possibly turn down £20-25million for example if Newcastle are still interested. We need the cash.

And Hwang.......a woeful signing in every sense, purely brought in for non-footballing reasons.
Too right

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know right....that goalscoring dynamic runner of early last season has been replaced by someone or something!
with a season loan with option to buy was a strange decision to then exercise that clause halfway through the season rather than wait till the end (would we still have signed him based on his form in the second half of the season)
Onnly thing that makes sense is if it was so money went onto last years accounts rather than this year (FFP ??)

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We needed backup haven't got it and will struggle.
We know boly and cody can do better. Bueno, toti and ronan been decent from what I saw (but I switched mostly to the other game for the last 20!)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
might be a contentious comment but this second string is woeful but as is our competition even westt ham, villa, Newcastle, Everton etc they all don't have a really good 2nd xi.

but ours is really typically poor right now.

in this team hwang coady and boly don't look like strong prem players... very poor.

silva really would do a better job than hwang I hope we can recall him in jan

rather toting and mosquera than the two of coady and boly they look unable to change slow and an aeging wolves

The young players are going to improve though. It's the older ones that are more concerning. With Coady, Boly and Hwang, this is as good as it gets? Though I don't think Ronan has been quite as brilliant as Dave Edwards seems to think! And Cundle and Campbell not exactly setting the game alight.

Agree on Toti and Mosquera. Still a bit rough, but they look more capable than the older pair. You can see how it isn't so much the formation, as certain players who slow things down to their pace, to be comfortable. And they do it in any formation.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
with a season loan with option to buy was a strange decision to then exercise that clause halfway through the season rather than wait till the end (would we still have signed him based on his form in the second half of the season)
Onnly thing that makes sense is if it was so money went onto last years accounts rather than this year (FFP ??)
Even that doesn't make sense as he's useless.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you watch this and think this is pretty much our 2nd string it is very worrying. The first x1 picks itself imo with little or no competition for places. If we get an injury say to Neves (can't believe he's still here!) or Neto we are really up against it. If we can't shift Traore I suppose he will come back in and give us decent forward power but I really am starting to despair trying to understand the thinking behind our lack of transfer business.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree, but can't see anyone offering that much for Coady. Has had a poor pre-season. Looks even slower than before. Reckon his England spot has gone now.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There will have been a financial incentive to do it early. ie the fee is less if activated in January rather than end of season. Only possible scenario that makes sense.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not useless but he's got no touch so he really isn't prem standard. The pass he messed up today says it all - he's consistently terrible on the ball. But - movement and pace is good, and has an eye for goal, so he is useful in a workhorse kind of way.

No excuses for signing him. It's not non footballing reasons (unless agent or club favours) because there's no business case for that. People are just looking for reasons.

I don't get it either but lage likes him as we saw last season.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Farense are a middling portugese second division outfit, and they look better than we do.
The drop off in quality between the first team and second team is huge.
Most of the first team have ran their contracts down too.
I want a recruitment team that can land their targets and an owner who will invest.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There will have been a financial incentive to do it early. ie the fee is less if activated in January rather than end of season. Only possible scenario that makes sense.
In the list of poor decisions our management team have made lately, buying Hwang must rate right up there. Can't wait for new owners and a new head of recruitment. Someone that knows their **** from their elbow.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The young players are going to improve though. It's the older ones that are more concerning. With Coady, Boly and Hwang, this is as good as it gets? Though I don't think Ronan has been quite as brilliant as Dave Edwards seems to think! And Cundle and Campbell not exactly setting the game alight.

Agree on Toti and Mosquera. Still a bit rough, but they look more capable than the older pair. You can see how it isn't so much the formation, as certain players who slow things down to their pace, to be comfortable. And they do it in any formation.
I agree roman is positive but not world beating. Candle and Campbell haven't set the world alight but they will improve interesting we have keep those two around but individuals like giles and corbeanu are on loan

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Farense are a middling portugese second division outfit, and they look better than we do.
The drop off in quality between the first team and second team is huge.
Most of the first team have ran their contracts down too.
I want a recruitment team that can land their targets and an owner who will invest.
Farense were relegated from the top Portuguese league at the end of the 20)21 season I believe.

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if we'd have waited till the end of the season we could have saved the whole fee ;)

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good points..
I keep hoping Hwang has improved over the summer, and suddenly turned into a PL footballer. Then I realize he's 26, and should be at his peak...
I know players can improve even at that age, but he really isnt going to be much better....
I dont blame him for being poor by the way. If a PL team comes in for you, you take the chance, even if you know the level is probably a bit too high.
But our recruitment team. What were they thinking? He litteraly had 2 good seasons at Salzburg, and 2 mediocre seasons. He was poor in Germany, so there was really nothing suggesting he'd be a PL footballer.

So why?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with everything - but not that last bit! We've been abysmal at goal scoring for a couple of years. But it seems we have no major transfer funds left, spent it all. That's why we got Jose, he failed too. Hwang was another desperate attempt to get that goal scorer on the cheap. Scored a load in the Austrian league, flopped in the Bundesliga. Looked like we might have come up trumps at the start, too. Don't forget, only a couple of years ago, Hwang was on lots of the big clubs radar due to doing well at Salzburg. I'd even heard of him! I'd never heard of Fabio, Jose, not even Raul when we loaned him. He was signed hoping he could get back to that form.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a paranaoid conspiracy theory to think he was signed "purely" for the marketing sales. Any more than any of the many other players we've signed in hope, that turn out to be flops.

ISn't it obvious by now, we are no longer an attractive proposition and the players who would obviously improve us will have better offers elsewhere? IMHO That's why we have Hwang. Who did we turn down for him? Nobody. And £13M is typical squad player price at this level.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Questions need to be asked of Coady here.

He played in a back four at times for us in the past and whilst you thought he could be susceptible, he sometimes did well - Albion away sticks out.

In these pre-season games he has been awful. Is he not fully with it?

He's playing against poor teams here (not just tonight) and is not doing enough. I'm not saying he's sulking because he's not the type but I'm just wondering if his head is elsewhere.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good points..
I keep hoping Hwang has improved over the summer, and suddenly turned into a PL footballer. Then I realize he's 26, and should be at his peak...
I know players can improve even at that age, but he really isnt going to be much better....
I dont blame him for being poor by the way. If a PL team comes in for you, you take the chance, even if you know the level is probably a bit too high.
But our recruitment team. What were they thinking? He litteraly had 2 good seasons at Salzburg, and 2 mediocre seasons. He was poor in Germany, so there was really nothing suggesting he'd be a PL footballer.

So why?

As I just said - who did we reject for him? Nobody. He's all we could get and looked good to start with. We've had a fair few who have never looked any good at any point.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the list of poor decisions our management team have made lately, buying Hwang must rate right up there. Can't wait for new owners and a new head of recruitment. Someone that knows their **** from their elbow.
I’m not arguing it to be the right decision. Just hypothesising why it was done early.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Hwang I guess we can only hope he hits a run of form like he did at the start of last season (not going to hold my breath though)
to be fair for most of pre season he's been playing in effectively the second team so not been getting the same quality of service, but even so doesn't like his form has improved from the back end of last season

Back
Top Bottom