Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he wont sign though i dont blame the club if they sell him.

The fact we are struggling to persuade him says it all to me. This wouldnt have happened a couple of years ago.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody on here has 'proof', you know that. However, it has been reported there's a new contract offer to him on the table and he's not accepted it.

Nobody knows the offer, so expect guesswork from the usual suspects that it's £3.50 a week plus free biscuits.

I posted this earlier, seems worth repeating:

“He hasn’t signed the new contract offered, so what, his team are possibly trying to negotiate for more or waiting until he shows that he is worth more in the first few games of the season.

He wanted to stay at SheffU in Jan, so what, he probably thought he would get more game time there as a starter than at Wolves, nothing wrong with that but this pre-season gives him the opportunity to compete with the other midfielders or strikers on a level playing field.”

Not signing a contract is not proof he want to leave.

Moutinho wanted two years on a new contract but was only offered one, he re-signed eventually.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're just accepting that Trent Hudson, who is not even Forest's equivalent of Tim Spiers, has a detailed knowledge of what Wolves will accept now, are we?

Sigh.
I mean endorsed from a reputable source i.e. The Athletic as well plus it's not exactly a closed secret that we have an inherent need to sell, unironically turns out that the players that weren't at the club last year are the most sellable.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact we are struggling to persuade him says it all to me. This wouldnt have happened a couple of years ago.

I think even a couple of years ago this situation would have played out the same. I honestly dont think he is unhappy here, but i think he is being cautious after the last couple of years. He more than likely wants to see he is actually going to get regular playing time which is understandable on his part. If he does i dont have many doubts he will sign. As i said previously, the problem is after the Traore situation Fosun might not run the risk of losing value so if they get a good offer they may sell.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£25m+ for Gibbs White, absolutely snap your hands off and with that invest in/put towards a new center half and central midfielder (of which MGW is not), thank you very much.

I have nothing against MGW and would love nothing more to see him make it here. By all means, if clubs were sniffing around the £10m mark I would resist but never in a month of Sundays is he ever going to attract bids of £20m + imo again. Take advantage of his stock being high is my view. This is a player who has scored 1 PL goal in his time here, I have never saw him look "comfortable" in the PL. The best game I have seen him play for us was ironically in the cup last year against a Championship Nottingham Forest.

One impressive season in the Championship does not do enough for me, where even then, Blades fans said he was a liability in a midfield 3. We already have better in the final third than him. At this level he always takes one touch too many or needs an extra yard of pace on the ball. I am not saying he wont ever be good enough for PL, but we should take £25m if it comes in. Is he better than Podence and Neto? I think not.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact we are struggling to persuade him says it all to me. This wouldnt have happened a couple of years ago
Yes only true because he wasnt in demand two years ago and had no bargaining chips

As someone said this could all be his agent ‘drumming up interest’ to get MGW the best offer from wolves to stay

I did similar a year back. Got a new job offer and looked to leave and my company matched it. I was happy to stay but for the right job/money

I’m sure he will stay if offer is good and he knows he will play a part this season. If he rots on bench again it’s no good for his career

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£25m+ for Gibbs White, absolutely snap your hands off and with that invest in/put towards a new center half and central midfielder (of which MGW is not), thank you very much.

I have nothing against MGW and would love nothing more to see him make it here. By all means, if clubs were sniffing around the £10m mark I would resist but never in a month of Sundays is he ever going to attract bids of £20m + imo again. Take advantage of his stock being high is my view. This is a player who has scored 1 PL goal in his time here, I have never saw him look "comfortable" in the PL. The best game I have seen him play for us was ironically in the cup last year against a Championship Nottingham Forest.

One impressive season in the Championship does not do enough for me, where even then, Blades fans said he was a liability in a midfield 3. We already have better in the final third than him. At this level he always takes one touch too many or needs an extra yard of pace on the ball. I am not saying he wont ever be good enough for PL, but we should take £25m if it comes in. Is he better than Podence and Neto? I think not.
Then you also have the flip side of the coin, where say he goes to Palace, has an absolutely brilliant year and suddenly you're talking in excess of £50m+ alone because of the English premium.

New CH and CM, again, from where? We just let one of those swan off to Fulham.

T-dot-wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
One of these will be from olympiakos, one south American, and one from a 'new' European team (like wth angers and leipzig)

You heard it here first. (Its quite predictable)

Agree with everything you wrote, but the pedant in me can't help point out Angers are over a hundred years old.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then you also have the flip side of the coin, where say he goes to Palace, has an absolutely brilliant year and suddenly you're talking in excess of £50m+ alone because of the English premium.

New CH and CM, again, from where? We just let one of those swan off to Fulham.
Totally agree with this . we seem reactive not proactive anymore.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean endorsed from a reputable source i.e. The Athletic as well plus it's not exactly a closed secret that we have an inherent need to sell, unironically turns out that the players that weren't at the club last year are the most sellable.

You always trust Spiers because he's "endorsed by a reputable source i.e. The Athletic" do you?

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
someone on the pub rumours page saying americans were shown around compton last week- rubbish or can anyone confirm ?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It we are cashing in on Gibbs , it will be for Guedes I reckon......

Could be a case of MGW and Adama, not buying a winger but a striker, midfielder and center back.

Podence, Neto, Chiq and Hwang already outwide. Chem Campbell should be given a real chance for the first team too.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are certainly going one way, said to a few friends, I've got us as outsiders for the drop.
Conversely, I'm thinking of putting a few quid on Grasshoppers to make Europe this season.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just goes to show, it is all about opinions, and mine is that he is better than:
- Podence (who rolls around too much and is too injury prone and does not help out in midfield enough)
- Dendonker (when playing the hybrid midfielder/ wide right role)
- Trincao (who was supposed to be worth £25m, allegedly, but we decided not to sign him, enough said).
- Hwang (I will leave that there, although I do think we play him out of position so partly not his fault)

Lage said he wanted options and players who could offer something different and players who could play through the lines. MGW offers that, and we already have him.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've gone from a well oiled machine on and off the pitch to a creaking old Austin Allegro inside 2 1/2 years . Mind-blowing.
At least not a Hillman Imp (ideal for Podence though…). Relegation could be a distinct possibility.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do love the bipolar nature of the mix, 12 months ago it was all “if MGW wants to go I’ll drive him there myself”, present day off the back of a decent season in the championship and folk are making out like we’re letting a young Messi leave. Truth is somewhere inbetween and no one can actually say that he can definitely hack it in the premier league

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Cornwall Wolf

Hes about 3 months behind right?

same time as porto wanting him

FC Porto started contacts with V. Guimarães, who is looking for a fit in the midfield.

André Almeida, midfielder for V. Guimarães, has been referenced by FC Porto for a long time and the clubs have already developed the first contacts to investigate the possibility of the 22-year-old player heading to Invicta

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do love the bipolar nature of the mix, 12 months ago it was all “if MGW wants to go I’ll drive him there myself”, present day off the back of a decent season in the championship and folk are making out like we’re letting a young Messi leave. Truth is somewhere inbetween and no one can actually say that he can definitely hack it in the premier league
True enough.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just goes to show, it is all about opinions, and mine is that he is better than:
- Podence (who rolls around too much and is too injury prone and does not help out in midfield enough)
- Dendonker (when playing the hybrid midfielder/ wide right role)
- Trincao (who was supposed to be worth £25m, allegedly, but we decided not to sign him, enough said).
- Hwang (I will leave that there, although I do think we play him out of position so partly not his fault)

Lage said he wanted options and players who could offer something different and players who could play through the lines. MGW offers that, and we already have him.

Tbf, we dont know if MGW is going to be able to offer it but its time we found out once and for all if he can. He's at the stage where he's been a bit part player here, had 2 good loan spells. If he's not ready now he never will be. I certainly think he could take the place of Podence. I do rate Podence, but i dont like his theatrics and his injuries are an issue.

Still think not signing Trincao will be a mistake, but you can see why we didnt bother, he didnt do enough. A swap for Adama would have worked imo.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Cornwall Wolf

Hes about 3 months behind right?

same time as porto wanting him

FC Porto started contacts with V. Guimarães, who is looking for a fit in the midfield.

André Almeida, midfielder for V. Guimarães, has been referenced by FC Porto for a long time and the clubs have already developed the first contacts to investigate the possibility of the 22-year-old player heading to Invicta

Don't think that guy has ever got a Wolves story right unfortunately. A reliable bull****ter

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Perhaps he was our back up incase we couldn't convince Nunes to sign and find a buyer for Neves like Palhihna was our back up for him.

He is a good player and will only cost around £7mil to sign, much like Mario Vuskovic for us he probably represents better value for money when we are short on cash than spending big lumps on players like Inacio or Nunes.

He would also be a player that can rotate with Moutinho who I think would have wanted reassurances that he would still feature a lot which wouldn't be the case with Nunes who would demand to start every game where as Almeida would be more understanding to the fact it is Joao Moutinho he is fighting for a spot with who is probably an idol of his.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps he was our back up incase we couldn't convince Nunes to sign and find a buyer for Neves like Palhihna was our back up for him.

He is a good player and will only cost around £7mil to sign, much like Mario Vuskovic for us he probably represents better value for money when we are short on cash than spending big lumps on players like Inacio or Nunes.

He would also be a player that can rotate with Moutinho who I think would have wanted reassurances that he would still feature a lot which wouldn't be the case with Nunes who would demand to start every game where as Almeida would be more understanding to the fact it is Joao Moutinho he is fighting for a spot with who is probably an idol of his.

I think he was the back up if we didn't sell Neves

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weimann scored 22 in the Championship last season, he was 3rd top scorer (behind Mitrovic and Solanke). Written off too early, here, as usual. :D Playing in a team that finished 17th. Imagine what he would score in a good side!
Weimann is 30 and has managed one good season in his entire career

JTWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Question is.
Is MGW better than Podence?
As that is the nearest player.

Podence goes down too easy. But the lad can go passed a player. Be flexible middle left or right and statistically we gained more points with Podence on the pitch last season I believe than off it.

Do we need another option to Podence yes is my answer. Is MGW willing to be one of two for us or driving to be a name on team sheet and then come on and rotate with.

I’ve never personally been MGW biggest fan, but I’m not saying he isn’t good it’s just I’m not sure he is good enough. But may I need to be proved wrong.

For me, if Podence is firmly in our plans next season as a regular starter, and I for one would welcome it. Then if someone offered me 30mill for MGW I would take it and spend it towards a mobile central midfielder instead.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question is.
Is MGW better than Podence?
As that is the nearest player.

Podence goes down too easy. But the lad can go passed a player. Be flexible middle left or right and statistically we gained more points with Podence on the pitch last season I believe than off it.

Do we need another option to Podence yes is my answer. Is MGW willing to be one of two for us or driving to be a name on team sheet and then come on and rotate with.

I’ve never personally been MGW biggest fan, but I’m not saying he isn’t good it’s just I’m not sure he is good enough. But may I need to be proved wrong.

For me, if Podence is firmly in our plans next season as a regular starter, and I for one would welcome it. Then if someone offered me 30mill for MGW I would take it and spend it towards a mobile central midfielder instead.

I think to get the best out of both them, they'll need to play both at the same time. Issue is we'll struggle to do that in a back 5.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
So we're transparent that we need a more attack-minded midfielder and a second striker yet we're going to sell MGW who has shown success in the Championship as...an attacking midfielder and a striker? Unless we get some ridiculous offer, I really don't see the logic in selling a player whose strengths are something our squad needs.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we're transparent that we need a more attack-minded midfielder and a second striker yet we're going to sell MGW who has shown success in the Championship as...an attacking midfielder and a striker? Unless we get some ridiculous offer, I really don't see the logic in selling a player whose strengths are something our squad needs.
its journo talk, if someone comes in 30m plus then we will be serious until then hes a wolves player and it is up to MGW if he signs on or not, or thinks ill play another year at this wage and put myself in the window for bigger teams than palace

if he has true conifdence in his ability, sign the contract get a payday, play his heart out and then get a big money move next year.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone at the Mount ?. Or seen a top of the range car going through Tettenhall or anything ?

Back
Top Bottom