Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Have to disagree, but I know it suits your long held preference for Coady to go.
For the first two thirds of the season we had one of the meanest defences in the league of which Coady was a big part.
The injury to Kilman had a massive impact, particularly with a well off the pace, below par Boly coming back in and we were suddenly all over the place.
Our defence was overrated last season, posted it after Leicester game at home and got pelters. Sa was out of this world but we gave of plenty of big chances a game

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think that's a very ill informed and unfair assessment of Coady's season.

He may not be a World class defender but he's easily PL class and certainly above average in his position in this division.
He also scores the odd goal or two whilst never venturing across the half-way line (not a bad trick) .... and has to watch as those paid to score goals fail to do so. Some of the incredible misses last season, no matter how many times you saw the replays, were in the unbelievable class.
For most of the time it was a poor year as far as entertainment goes, but easily the biggest failure was the inability to get the ball in the opposition net - even a reasonable conversion rate would have got us a place in Europe this coming season imo.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

He also scores the odd goal or two whilst never venturing across the half-way line (not a bad trick) .... and has to watch as those paid to score goals fail to do so. Some of the incredible misses last season, no matter how many times you saw the replays, were in the unbelievable class.
For most of the time it was a poor year as far as entertainment goes, but easily the biggest failure was the inability to get the ball in the opposition net - even a reasonable conversion rate would have got us a place in Europe this coming season imo.
Our conversion rate was above average. Our chance creation rate was the atrocious thing

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I'll to take your word for that, but I must cut down on my pintage to do so.
Against xG it was above average, big chances missed we were 9th so slightly below average got that wrong apologies

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to disagree, but I know it suits your long held preference for Coady to go.
For the first two thirds of the season we had one of the meanest defences in the league of which Coady was a big part.
The injury to Kilman had a massive impact, particularly with a well off the pace, below par Boly coming back in and we were suddenly all over the place.

Losing Semedo and Kilman was a big disruption. Johnny did well, but i think Kilman and Semedo know each others games better and were a better unit.

People just dont like giving Coady any credit. He was playing as well as anyone until things started unravelling.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Losing Semedo and Kilman was a big disruption. Johnny did well, but i think Kilman and Semedo know each others games better and were a better unit.

People just dont like giving Coady any credit. He was playing as well as anyone until things started unravelling.

Coady might help the unit with his communication but as an individual he's poor for the premier League as the numbers and eye test shows.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady might help the unit with his communication but as an individual he's poor for the premier League as the numbers and eye test shows.

Rubbish. He was playing superbly. According to the eye test, he was playing very well for at least the first half of the season. Maybe you need to get your eyes tested if you cant see that. For a start, anyone who knows anything about the game knows a good side isnt made up of individuals. Its about the makeup of the team as a whole. So called lesser players just make the team as a whole play better. There are plenty of players who stand out statistically as individuals but are detrimental team players. Which is why its ridiculous to take these stats too seriously.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is a discussion on him playing a more dynamic sweeper role acceptable?

I dont think anyone is suggesting he moves back into a traditional midfield role, but i dont think its out of the realms of possibility he could basically play just in front of the back 4 doing similar things to what he does as a sweeper. Not convinced it would work, but it might be worth an experiment in pre season. Plenty of people scoffed at him playing as a sweeper in the first place.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Can’t believe there is a discussion on our Captain and England international being. Rap at his job as a sweeper.
I think Molineux Mix should be renamed Miserable Mix.
He is a good sweeper, no question. Doesn't make him a good conventional CB. Different skillset

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only change we need from Coady is for him to shout “GOOOOOD” every forward pass instead of every backwards one.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe there is a discussion on our Captain and England international being. Rap at his job as a sweeper.
Minging is an England international, just saying....

Oh, and it's ironic that you say that about Coady when you constantly slag off our Belgian international Dendonker as crap at his job.....

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rubbish. He was playing superbly. According to the eye test, he was playing very well for at least the first half of the season. Maybe you need to get your eyes tested if you cant see that. For a start, anyone who knows anything about the game knows a good side isnt made up of individuals. Its about the makeup of the team as a whole. So called lesser players just make the team as a whole play better. There are plenty of players who stand out statistically as individuals but are detrimental team players. Which is why its ridiculous to take these stats too seriously.

The eye test at the start said he was the same Coady, too passive, got builled constantly and wasn't offering much with the ball. As Coady plays that much it's hard to judge how much of an impact he's had on the likes of Kilman playing well. Plus Coady isn't the only player that can talk on the pitch. If people can watch Coady and not see he brings limitations to the side

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think anyone is suggesting he moves back into a traditional midfield role, but i dont think its out of the realms of possibility he could basically play just in front of the back 4 doing similar things to what he does as a sweeper. Not convinced it would work, but it might be worth an experiment in pre season. Plenty of people scoffed at him playing as a sweeper in the first place.
I believe he's mobile enough to play a more traditional sweeper than the rigid position he made his own for four years under Nuno.

An orthodox sweeper moves freely from behind the defence in to midfield and back again. Coady is smart enough and good enough to do that.

We all know Neves and Moutinho are flexible enough to play in that system and I think we all agree another midfielder would augment the team further.

A more mobile sweeper largely provides a passive contribution in regards to positioning when the team has the ball and is attacking.

This should provide the midfield to play further up the pitch in a more active sense supporting the attack.

Without the ball, the midfield drops deeper and when in position allows the sweeper to support the defence. It's all about positioning and covering space.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More dynamic sweeper role? What does that entail then?
I believe he's (Coady) mobile enough to play a more traditional sweeper than the rigid position he made his own for four years under Nuno.

An orthodox sweeper moves freely from behind the defence in to midfield and back again. Coady is smart enough and good enough to do that.

We all know Neves and Moutinho are flexible enough to play in that system and I think we all agree another midfielder would augment the team further.

A more mobile sweeper largely provides a passive contribution in regards to positioning when the team has the ball and is attacking.

This should provide the midfield to play further up the pitch in a more active sense supporting the attack.

Without the ball, the midfield drops deeper and when in position allows the sweeper to support the defence. It's all about positioning and covering space.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The eye test at the start said he was the same Coady, too passive, got builled constantly and wasn't offering much with the ball. As Coady plays that much it's hard to judge how much of an impact he's had on the likes of Kilman playing well. Plus Coady isn't the only player that can talk on the pitch. If people can watch Coady and not see he brings limitations to the side

Every player has limitations. Like i said, a team of statistically brilliant individuals rarely makes a good team, especially for a club in our position. You need a team that function as a team otherwise you end up like Villa or Everton who just sign good players then throw them together without any idea of how to get them to work together.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe there is a discussion on our Captain and England international being crap at his job as a sweeper.
Think it might be by the end of this window

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every player has limitations. Like i said, a team of statistically brilliant individuals rarely makes a good team, especially for a club in our position. You need a team that function as a team otherwise you end up like Villa or Everton who just sign good players then throw them together without any idea of how to get them to work together.

I understand that but the question I keep asking is, does the limitations he give to us be worth us not only playing him but altering how we play to suit him. Because for me we could get more from players like Neves, Moutinho, Neto, Raul, Chiq and even Adama playing differently which Coady limits.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ive only just realised from your reply. It closed on 30th June?! Arrgh!! I could cry! Where the hell am I going to watch CHiPs, Dukes of Hazzard and Starsky and Hutch now??
And Airwolf! Noooooooooooo!!!!!
I had no idea it'd gone either!

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
I think there could be truth in us being sold… no signings, no sales other than loans… it’s like we’re about to be sold!?

Back
Top Bottom