Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goal Scorers

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think we need another goal scorer but personally I don't think pukki is the type we need. He is 32 so no resale and Bruno has stated he wants a target man type to bring other players into the game. I actually think a fit Neto and fired up MGW can help increase our goals. It's also a big season for Silva, he has to be given more minutes. He signed in 2020 on a five year deal so has three years left. If he gets to the end of this season with very little game time he will only have two years on his contract and will be very reluctant to sign an extension.

I have been disappointed in wolves spending so much money on him when he was clearly nowhere near ready. All we are doing is preparing him for someone else to get the benefit, I just can't see him signing another 5 year contract here (so ten years in total) that takes him to his prime as a striker.

He has to start contributing.

I do think they will pick up a target man, but our improved goals output will come from Jiminez, Neto, and MGW.

If they don't we are down simple as that.
Silva has had more than enough game time...scored a big fat ZERO
Get rid

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why?
He is never going to be a goalscorer
Based on his youth record of scoring ****loads of goals, his international record of scoring ****loads of goals or his record for us of one goal every 478 minutes as an 18/19 year old in the premier league?

Now he’s bulked up and can withstand the physical stuff, I think he’ll turn out to be a really good goalscorer (if he gets the consistent game time)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on his youth record of scoring ****loads of goals, his international record of scoring ****loads of goals or his record for us of one goal every 478 minutes as an 18/19 year old in the premier league?

Now he’s bulked up and can withstand the physical stuff, I think he’ll turn out to be a really good goalscorer (if he gets the consistent game time)
It might help if our midfield started to pick out his runs into space rather than passing back to Coady for the 357th time that game....

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Team will score more goals if we are a more positive team. Lost count of the amount of games last season we were sat too deep and didnt commit enough players forwards.

Ideally we do need another striker though and we need a midfield player that is more dynamic and scores goals.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Team will score more goals if we are a more positive team. Lost count of the amount of games last season we were sat too deep and didnt commit enough players forwards.

Ideally we do need another striker though and we need a midfield player that is more dynamic and scores goals.
I wouldn't disagree the broad thrust of that.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need to be moving away from the term "winger" again much like in our championship year where Cav and Jota played like 2 false 9's either side of Bonatini who was providing the link up and hold up play as well as being a confident finisher for the first half of the season anyway. Any time Nuno was asked he would refer to the wing backs as his wingers until Costa came back from injury and we totally changed how we played to accommodate him and then Traore when he left and if we want to be more attacking and aggressive in the press whilst still keeping Coady in the side that is what we need to get back to rather than having 2 out wide wingers blocking the wingbacks runs and an isolated striker in the middle alone with no willing runner from centre mid we became very easy to double up on and block any attempt to create a chance to attack.

We need a solid RCB who can bring the ball out like Collins at Burnley would offer us and a partner for Neves in the middle that could offer us a ball carrier who can break the lines like what Nunes would provide but in attack I actually think we need two players, 1 who is a smaller nimbler skillful player like Jota with the finishing of a striker much like Guedes, Barbosa or Ben Yedder who have all been recent links but then a taller more central figure who can link play and get on the end of crosses from wing backs or pounce on loose balls to rival Raul and Fabio.

Realistically it may have to be a younger 21-23 year old as we wouldn't be able to afford one who offers that in their prime years. Maybe someone like Luis Vasquez at Boca Juniors, Mohamed Bayo at Clermont or Maxi Gomez at Valencia could provide us that as otherwise we would have to target a 30+ Seferovic type who would only need replacing in a season or two anyway and with Raul getting on as well it would make more sense to target someone who could be here for a number of years.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With MGW feeding him and readong his runs and Neto making chances, Fabio will start to score.
Podence can also be a key factor in this. I could see him and Fabio developing a great understanding, given some time playing together.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva has had more than enough game time...scored a big fat ZERO
Get rid
I have a feeling that not much will change. We will continue with a defensive system, 3/5 at the back, we still lack pace in midfield, and we will build up slowly and fail to break teams down. I can't see why Fabio will be more successful than last season. He still can't head a ball and there is no-one to create for him. Not fair to keep him on the bench and ruin his confidence. But suspect Shi won't lose face and have to explain why his big signing has gone out on loan.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a feeling that not much will change. We will continue with a defensive system, 3/5 at the back, we still lack pace in midfield, and we will build up slowly and fail to break teams down. I can't see why Fabio will be more successful than last season. He still can't head a ball and there is no-one to create for him. Not fair to keep him on the bench and ruin his confidence. But suspect Shi won't lose face and have to explain why his big signing has gone out on loan.
I’ve never really understood why there’s so many on here wanting to adopt a flat back 4.
When I was at secondary school, 84-88, you couldn’t pick up a newspaper without reading 4-4-2 was antiquated and was the reason we were ****e at international level and struggled (at the time) in European competitions. But when all is said and done, if you have two lightening quick wingers who also drop to help the full-backs, and full backs overlapping wingers, your 10 & 11 have a near psychic ability to read each other and, a creative midfielder, then there’s nothing more exciting than 4-4-2. If you haven’t, then 4-4-2 is a **** show, leaving gaps in behind the wingers and, can leave huge gaps between the lines. It’s also near impossible to control a game with 4-4-2.
5-3-2/3-5-2 is great because of its adaptability even without the ‘right’ players.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Quality player but, yes, out goalscoring is just poor.

I think I'm going against the grain when I say I'm not fussed about defensive reinforcements. We don't score goals! That's what needs addressing. Either we start playing a more offensive set up, tell Fabio he's now a key player and actually play him (if we think he's good enough) or make signings.

If we still play 5 at the back with the same offensive personnel we will continue to struggle offensively. Madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different responses!
You can sign who you want to play up front but it you have 8 defensive players and 3 attackers you'll never score enough. The system needs to change.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I’ve never really understood why there’s so many on here wanting to adopt a flat back 4.
When I was at secondary school, 84-88, you couldn’t pick up a newspaper without reading 4-4-2 was antiquated and was the reason we were ****e at international level and struggled (at the time) in European competitions. But when all is said and done, if you have two lightening quick wingers who also drop to help the full-backs, and full backs overlapping wingers, your 10 & 11 have a near psychic ability to read each other and, a creative midfielder, then there’s nothing more exciting than 4-4-2. If you haven’t, then 4-4-2 is a **** show, leaving gaps in behind the wingers and, can leave huge gaps between the lines. It’s also near impossible to control a game with 4-4-2.
5-3-2/3-5-2 is great because of its adaptability even without the ‘right’ players.
You know that you can play a 4 at the back and not play 4 4 2 right?
Majority of the league plays it

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can sign who you want to play up front but it you have 8 defensive players and 3 attackers you'll never score enough. The system needs to change.
True, but we play a system to suit our players. It's 3 at the back with 2 CDMs because we are slow. However, we make it difficult to score against. With some pace up front we can maybe nick a goal. Anyway, that's how I see it. The system won't change until the players change.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has he had it off with someone you love? You seem to hate him
Nope , imo he's not good enough , never will be good enough, has none of the attributes needed to make a good striker ,and pointless to keep flogging a Dendoncker who has scored ZERO goals last season, cost us £35 million, and is still costing us £4 million a year in wages , for ZERO goals!
Just think , for a few million more we could have had Jesus from city.
You think Silva will score more than phuki next year then do you?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know if any of you lot follow cricket, but there might be a few lessons to learn from the revolution that is currently going on with the England test team. Having lost miserably for about the last 15 test matches they have just demolished the World's No 1 side 3-0 and are about to beat India at Edgbaston. It's basically the same England team that kept on losing, but with a new coaching staff which just has a different attitude. Suddenly the brakes have been taken off and England's no-hopers are annihilating the opposition. It's all in the mind.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Don't know if any of you lot follow cricket, but there might be a few lessons to learn from the revolution that is currently going on with the England test team. Having lost miserably for about the last 15 test matches they have just demolished the World's No 1 side 3-0 and are about to beat India at Edgbaston. It's basically the same England team that kept on losing, but with a new coaching staff which just has a different attitude. Suddenly the breaks have been taken off and England's no-hopers are annihilating the opposition. It's all in the mind.
We'd essentially need Fabio to score 40 goals to mirror Bairstow's turnaround.

Also let's wait more than a month of cricket to see if "Bazball" is all it's cracked up to be.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd essentially need Fabio to score 40 goals to mirror Bairstow's turnaround.

Also let's wait more than a month of cricket to see if "Bazball" is all it's cracked up to be.
It's looking ****ing brilliant so far. This morning I would have given England a 5% chance of winning against India. I would now give them a 95% chance.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's looking ****ing brilliant so far. This morning I would have given England a 5% chance of winning against India. I would now give them a 95% chance.
If we'd batted 10 more overs today, we'd have scored another 70 odd for 0.

Got tickets for tomorrow. Can't wait! (got a spare one if anyone fancies it for free)

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know that you can play a 4 at the back and not play 4 4 2 right?
Majority of the league plays it
You do realise that four at the back, is still four at the back?
I focused on 4-4-2 as it was easier to discuss my point. I should’ve made that clearer.
Anyway, it’s the players for the formation rather than the formation itself.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

You do realise that four at the back, is still four at the back?
I focused on 4-4-2 as it was easier to discuss my point. I should’ve made that clearer.
Anyway, it’s the players for the formation rather than the formation itself.
4 3 3 is literally the best formation to control games with. You mentioned 4 at the back and struggling to control games.
Don't get your point.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 3 3 is literally the best formation to control games with. You mentioned 4 at the back and struggling to control games.
Don't get your point.
You think 4-3-3 controls a game?
Surely you’re incredibly vulnerable to the counter?
I see now why you didn’t get my point :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

You think 4-3-3 controls a game?
Surely you’re incredibly vulnerable to the counter?
I see now why you didn’t get my point :rolleyes:
Yeah that's why Pep and Klopp play it with two best defenses in the league. So it leaves them open to the counter.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know if any of you lot follow cricket, but there might be a few lessons to learn from the revolution that is currently going on with the England test team. Having lost miserably for about the last 15 test matches they have just demolished the World's No 1 side 3-0 and are about to beat India at Edgbaston. It's basically the same England team that kept on losing, but with a new coaching staff which just has a different attitude. Suddenly the brakes have been taken off and England's no-hopers are annihilating the opposition. It's all in the mind.

Until they play the Aussies!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why?
He is never going to be a goalscorer
More premier league goals at his age than Harry Kane who struggled to get in the Leyton orient and Norwich teams…. Also Fabio is good off the ball runner to find space, sometimes he got into excellent positions but the pass never came. He also made chances for others using good footwork, technique and he bullied mings in the villa game, which is very impressive for a 19 year old.

Also silva is banging them in at u21 level for Portugal and has 2 less goals than Kane in 6 less appearances.

There is a real star in Fabio, he just needs time

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the current game (India), for one reason or another (like another 'new' ball) we might yet come unstuck, BUT, without a doubt they are demonstrating what a change in approach/attitude can do.
From Wolves perspective that could be seen in the last part of the season, it was as if they had switched off and nothing, absolutely nothing could get their heads up and get them playing with confidence and purpose - it was relegation stuff. What the problem was I've not a clue, but if it doesn't change we are up the proverbial without a paddle. Attitude may not be everything but it is a damned long way towards success.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the current game (India), for one reason or another (like another 'new' ball) we might yet come unstuck, BUT, without a doubt they are demonstrating what a change in approach/attitude can do.
From Wolves perspective that could be seen in the last part of the season, it was as if they had switched off and nothing, absolutely nothing could get their heads up and get them playing with confidence and purpose - it was relegation stuff. What the problem was I've not a clue, but if it doesn't change we are up the proverbial without a paddle. Attitude may not be everything but it is a damned long way towards success.
No ****ing chance! Won by 7 wickets after chasing 378 in the last innings! Bring on S Africa! Whatever the England cricketers are drinking, Wolves could do with some of it. The England cricket transformation reminds me of Leicester going from relegation certainties to PL winners in a season. It's all about the coach... and the captain

ballboy#2

Reaction score
I often get the feeling that many of our players are afraid to make a forward pass in case it goes wrong. As a crowd,
Wolves supporters are known to get on players backs if things go wrong.

it is much safer to make a sideways short pass and eliminate the risk.

Known as passing the buck.

MGW didn't have that fear last season at Sheffield . If he stays at Molineux, let us hope he keeps doing what he did while on loan.

With the forward runs that Fabio makes, goals could be there if Morgan can find him.
Would like MGW supporting Fabio. In time I think Fabio's movement would combined well with MGW ability and willingness to make **** happen. Understand Morgan can frustrate when a flick round the corner doesnt come off but efficiency comes with experience. Last season our ability to progress the ball into the final third was shocking, statistically and visually, Podence way way ahead of anyone else and he's just not consistent or reliable enough fitness wise to build a team around.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's true. But it doesn't exclude also having non-goalscorers. The reason Bruno switched back to Plan A last season was because we played 3 games (+ 1 friendly) where we got forward lots, made the most chances of any team in the division. Yet didn't score a single goal in 270 minutes (more including the friendsly). Four consecutive 0-1 defeats that showed how un-clinical and wasteful our forwards are.

Haaland has had no trouble scoring hatfuls in a very mediocre Norway side - 20 goals in 21 matches. Your kidding yourself if you think he would outscore our lot if he was drafted in with not one other change. Yes, he will score more in a better, more attacking side. But a goal scorer scores goals.

If goal scorers could only score in good sides, then we would never find any outside the big 6. Many of them become famous precisely *because* they score goals even in an inferior side.

This is not denying that we are too defensive, too keen to automaticall stop and turn back. Perhaps part of that is when other than Raul, the ball doesn't stick with our forwards?

Not disagreeing that we need to change the system and that we are too defensive. I'm adding to that, that our forwards are not good enough to make the most of what would come their way. Other than a Raul (though at 75% of pre-injury form) and Neto, they all need upgrading in my opinion. Podence, Traore, Fabio, all have serious lack of end product, despire flattering to decieve with "runs" and "tricks". Hwang is an odd one as seems the best finisher, but is rarely in that position and messes up most other things.

With a flawed forward line like that, I understand why we play 8 defensive players - perhaps it cuts both ways and it's as much a case of with poor finishers like ours, you need to stay defensive as you aren't going to score much and conceding 1 goal is a mountain to climb.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That's true. But it doesn't exclude also having non-goalscorers. The reason Bruno switched back to Plan A last season was because we played 3 games (+ 1 friendly) where we got forward lots, made the most chances of any team in the division. Yet didn't score a single goal in 270 minutes (more including the friendsly). Four consecutive 0-1 defeats that showed how un-clinical and wasteful our forwards are.

Haaland has had no trouble scoring hatfuls in a very mediocre Norway side - 20 goals in 21 matches. Your kidding yourself if you think he would outscore our lot if he was drafted in with not one other change. Yes, he will score more in a better, more attacking side. But a goal scorer scores goals.

If goal scorers could only score in good sides, then we would never find any outside the big 6. Many of them become famous precisely *because* they score goals even in an inferior side.

This is not denying that we are too defensive, too keen to automaticall stop and turn back. Perhaps part of that is when other than Raul, the ball doesn't stick with our forwards?

Not disagreeing that we need to change the system and that we are too defensive. I'm adding to that, that our forwards are not good enough to make the most of what would come their way. Other than a Raul (though at 75% of pre-injury form) and Neto, they all need upgrading in my opinion. Podence, Traore, Fabio, all have serious lack of end product, despire flattering to decieve with "runs" and "tricks". Hwang is an odd one as seems the best finisher, but is rarely in that position and messes up most other things.

With a flawed forward line like that, I understand why we play 8 defensive players - perhaps it cuts both ways and it's as much a case of with poor finishers like ours, you need to stay defensive as you aren't going to score much and conceding 1 goal is a mountain to climb.
Yeah, one of the most highly rated players on the planet would indeed score more than our forwards but being clinical is overrated.

Would you have any of those forwards? I'd probably take a punt on a few

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, one of the most highly rated players on the planet would indeed score more than our forwards but being clinical is overrated.

Would you have any of those forwards? I'd probably take a punt on a few

Other than Raul, none of our forwards have any record of being significant goal scorers at this level. In no team they have ever played in.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spot on
Get phuki in

Back
Top Bottom