Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Goal Scorers

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think we need another goal scorer but personally I don't think pukki is the type we need. He is 32 so no resale and Bruno has stated he wants a target man type to bring other players into the game. I actually think a fit Neto and fired up MGW can help increase our goals. It's also a big season for Silva, he has to be given more minutes. He signed in 2020 on a five year deal so has three years left. If he gets to the end of this season with very little game time he will only have two years on his contract and will be very reluctant to sign an extension.

I have been disappointed in wolves spending so much money on him when he was clearly nowhere near ready. All we are doing is preparing him for someone else to get the benefit, I just can't see him signing another 5 year contract here (so ten years in total) that takes him to his prime as a striker.

He has to start contributing.

I do think they will pick up a target man, but our improved goals output will come from Jiminez, Neto, and MGW.

If they don't we are down simple as that.

T

TheConcourse

My thesis is basic AF.

Thought going into the summer was that if we sign a CB with pace and a CM with mobility then we’d be able to increase our attacking output by:

A) Just having a more attack minded team
B) Playing higher up the pitch

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My thesis is basic AF.

Thought going into the summer was that if we sign a CB with pace and a CM with mobility then we’d be able to increase our attacking output by:

Its not rocket science. We just have to hope jeff and sellars see it as well.

T

TheConcourse

Its not rocket science. We just have to hope jeff and sellars see it as well.
Yeah, I’m sure the football genius’ at Compton would argue it’s more complex.

Either way, the squad needs an injection of something. A bad start and it could get real messy real quick if the squad doesn’t improve this summer.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My thesis is basic AF.

This in spades.

You can’t score goals if you don’t create chances. And we are full as dishwater in that respect.

At least we’ve got Adama back now for a bit and maybe one of his 15 shanked crosses can be classed as a shot.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think we need another goal scorer but personally I don't think pukki is the type we need. He is 32 so no resale and Bruno has stated he wants a target man type to bring other players into the game. I actually think a fit Neto and fired up MGW can help increase our goals. It's also a big season for Silva, he has to be given more minutes. He signed in 2020 on a five year deal so has three years left. If he gets to the end of this season with very little game time he will only have two years on his contract and will be very reluctant to sign an extension.

I have been disappointed in wolves spending so much money on him when he was clearly nowhere near ready. All we are doing is preparing him for someone else to get the benefit, I just can't see him signing another 5 year contract here (so ten years in total) that takes him to his prime as a striker.

I do think they will pick up a target man, but our improved goals output will come from Jiminez, Neto, and MGW.

Last two two seasons we have averaged one goal per PL game pretty much. We were never prolific before that. Bruno noted when he took over and at the end of the season that we don’t have enough goals in the team. So I think it’s the way we play as well.

T

TheConcourse

I actually think if Fabio is given a consistent run of starts, he’ll get double figures next season.

He wasn’t anywhere near ready 2 years ago. He is now. Just needs to be given the chance.
Not sure peak fat Ronaldo would get goals in this team, Tring.

Like you though I see real potential in Fabio. The ability to create space and be in the right spot at the right time. Lots of positive signals. Can we get the ball to him though?

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This in spades.

You can’t score goals if you don’t create chances. And we are full as dishwater in that respect.

At least we’ve got Adama back now for a bit and maybe one of his 15 shanked crosses can be classed as a shot.
Be surprised if Adama plays unless a new contract is put in place. If he does play and does well he will increase his value for his own personal gain (ie a move when contract is up) and this goes against the business model of Fosun which is to maximise their wealth and investment.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure peak fat Ronaldo would get goals in this team, Tring.

Like you though I see real potential in Fabio. The ability to create space and be in the right spot at the right time. Lots of positive signals. Can we get the ball to him though?
Is this the peak fat Ronaldo you were thinking of...

ed58a61b91e656528a89d7a1155be946_400x400.jpeg

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would not rule out Podence chipping in with a few if he can stay fit.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually think if Fabio is given a consistent run of starts, he’ll get double figures next season.

He wasn’t anywhere near ready 2 years ago. He is now. Just needs to be given the chance.
Fabio, Neto and Podence in the attacking positions could be very effective. All intelligent players with good movement. If they can develop a decent understanding I could see them scoring quite a lot of goals for us.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No real evidence to support this, but I think exactly the same. I think a combination, somehow, of Fabio, fit Neto and MGW could reap dividends.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can't judge our forwards effectively because service is poor ..whether it's from out wide with wing backs, with or without Adama or from the midfield...it's just very poor ....it's why Raul has to find his own service cause it just isn't coming...

Hopefully a fully fit Neto and the return of Gibbs will go some way to help the situation, and (IF) we bring in Nunes it will help massively......Said before one player I would look to bring in as competition , and as I think you could get him for about 10m ish or a loan is Telles....set pieces, free kicks...... yes we have Rayan but it's a reasonably cheapish way to improve the quality from an area we need to .....

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
My thesis is basic AF.

This seems so obvious. Given the state of affairs, sentimentality can't play a part. I love Coady, but if a suitable offer arrived, think it's a no-brainer to replace with pace. My glass is always half-full, but as clock ticks, it's slowly emptying. Hope for all our sake (and sanity) we are surprised in next few weeks.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't our marquee signing for the summer, the guy we've spunked all our transfer funds on an alleged goal scorer?

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio, Neto and Podence in the attacking positions could be very effective. All intelligent players with good movement. If they can develop a decent understanding I could see them scoring quite a lot of goals for us.
They might. But look at the stats from last season. Our top scorer got 6 league goals.Hwang managed 5 then it was coady and neves on 4. Everyone else 2 or less. It is hard to be optimistic after what i think was one of our lowest scoring seasons in 145 years

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of goals think we have several issues to address

1. In form confident goal scorer. Will Raul get back to some form, can Hwang reproduce form from his first few games but keep it going through season. Will Fabio. Finally turn some promising play into end product. Maybe need another striker who is ready for the Prem and who we have a realistic chance of getting (Would Ivan Toney fit the bill?)

2. Creating chances and goals from elsewhere. We had injuries to key players here in Neto and Podence, think they can step up this season if they remain injury free. If Traore is with us the always capable of creating something, if only he was more consistent and could hit the target

3. Style and pace of play. A lot of our build up play has been too slow not enough balls in the box or players getting up in enough numbers meaning we spend a lot of time playing in front of the opponents making their job of defending easier. Probably need a combination of change of style/ system and players to allow that to happen a. Whether Neves stays or not will impact what options we have and what new players we need

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of goals think we have several issues to address

1. In form confident goal scorer. Will Raul get back to some form, can Hwang reproduce form from his first few games but keep it going through season. Will Fabio. Finally turn some promising play into end product. Maybe need another striker who is ready for the Prem and who we have a realistic chance of getting (Would Ivan Toney fit the bill?)

2. Creating chances and goals from elsewhere. We had injuries to key players here in Neto and Podence, think they can step up this season if they remain injury free. If Traore is with us the always capable of creating something, if only he was more consistent and could hit the target

3. Style and pace of play. A lot of our build up play has been too slow not enough balls in the box or players getting up in enough numbers meaning we spend a lot of time playing in front of the opponents making their job of defending easier. Probably need a combination of change of style/ system and players to allow that to happen a. Whether Neves stays or not will impact what options we have and what new players we need
Toney 50 million ish lol

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I`ve a feeling that no new striker is coming in anytime soon and we`re going to gamble on Jimmi and co scoring more. You never know, ..especially if we can keep MGW and also if Neto, Podence can stay fit. Massive gamble though IMO.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This coming season will be just like that last two at this rate. Boring and drab football with hardly any goals. Obvious what we need to all but the powers that be at the club.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ish. The problem is he will not get the supply with the way our team currently works so hard to move the ball backwards.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This coming season will be just like that last two at this rate. Boring and drab football with hardly any goals. Obvious what we need to all but the powers that be at the club.
I think it's also obvious to the 'powers that be', however they are either impotent and can't do anything or they just don't care.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry unless we sign someone then same as last year and end of season before. We probably though last season Silva would step up or Podence or traore but none of them did . We need new signings we all said ( the majority we need a refresh) we have not done it so far so Jeff Shi and Fosun have failed in that area

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think we are at risk of relegation if we can't find enough goals. But I think we will probably have enough, just.

If we don't sell Neves in this window we really are at risk of another Adama situation. Next summer he will have one year left, six months after and he can negotiate a pre contract can't he?

More to the point he will be a £25/30m player with one year left on his contract. Its no wonder Barcelona want to wait a year.

We really are going to lose some squad value pretty soon. Adama might go for £10m this year or zero next. Donk only has one year left, Neves prime value is this summer so his value is dropping fast, then there is Jiminez.

I accept the self-sustaining model, but that can't include letting assets depreciate in value to the point we can't finance replacements - that is a one way ticket to the championship.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
I don't think the style will change until the managers confident in the defence.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think we are at risk of relegation if we can't find enough goals. But I think we will probably have enough, just.

If we don't sell Neves in this window we really are at risk of another Adama situation. Next summer he will have one year left, six months after and he can negotiate a pre contract can't he?

More to the point he will be a £25/30m player with one year left on his contract. Its no wonder Barcelona want to wait a year.

We really are going to lose some squad value pretty soon. Adama might go for £10m this year or zero next. Donk only has one year left, Neves prime value is this summer so his value is dropping fast, then there is Jiminez.

I accept the self-sustaining model, but that can't include letting assets depreciate in value to the point we can't finance replacements - that is a one way ticket to the championship.
Point well made Viz rapidly declining asset values. Based on our buy to sell model we need to sell urgently (if we can). A relegation battle would be no suprise.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I often get the feeling that many of our players are afraid to make a forward pass in case it goes wrong. As a crowd,
Wolves supporters are known to get on players backs if things go wrong.

it is much safer to make a sideways short pass and eliminate the risk.

Known as passing the buck.

MGW didn't have that fear last season at Sheffield . If he stays at Molineux, let us hope he keeps doing what he did while on loan.

With the forward runs that Fabio makes, goals could be there if Morgan can find him.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Cornwall we can't even afford to pay £8m for Almeida while paying Mouts wages. So not much money to spend if any.

I can see Jiminez, Semedo, Neves, all being offered around to reduce our wage bill. But clubs won't pay what we want and will wait for a discounted price or until they can get them for free.

We will backfill with younger, cheaper players on loan deals and reserves from Grasshoppers.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to Cornwall we can't even afford to pay £8m for Almeida while paying Mouts wages. So not much money to spend if any.

I can see Jiminez, Semedo, Neves, all being offered around to reduce our wage bill. But clubs won't pay what we want and will wait for a discounted price or until they can get them for free.

We will backfill with younger, cheaper players on loan deals and reserves from Grasshoppers.
It’s madness that we can’t afford an 8 million pound player whilst a 35 million player sits on our bench

Brain dead

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have so many goals in our attacking f players but we play to our protect our defenders weaknesses instead

You only have to look at jota to see the mistake we are making with our forwards

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I often get the feeling that many of our players are afraid to make a forward pass in case it goes wrong. As a crowd,
Wolves supporters are known to get on players backs if things go wrong.

it is much safer to make a sideways short pass and eliminate the risk.

Known as passing the buck.

MGW didn't have that fear last season at Sheffield . If he stays at Molineux, let us hope he keeps doing what he did while on loan.

With the forward runs that Fabio makes, goals could be there if Morgan can find him.
Know what you mean, Molineux can be a hard place to play.
Mainly I think it's due to the rare occasions we get a half decent chance and our players know how crucial it is to score otherwise we HAVE to keep a clean sheet, so the pressure/overthinking gets to them and have to just hit the target.
Think we've got decent players around the D, average 2 strikers for whatever reason, but our 7 players that often make up our defence are too slow and immobile.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trying to get Broja in on loan would seem logical, but I guess it would be viewed as hampering Fabio's progress.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel like I’m missing something but FPL Twitter is absolutely ablaze with people wanting Neto in their fantasy side.

Can’t see it myself, would be lovely to crack on and score more than a goal a game on average but we’ve not looked like scoring goals for 18 months.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel like I’m missing something but FPL Twitter is absolutely ablaze with people wanting Neto in their fantasy side.

Can’t see it myself, would be lovely to crack on and score more than a goal a game on average but we’ve not looked like scoring goals for 18 months.
Quality player but, yes, out goalscoring is just poor.

I think I'm going against the grain when I say I'm not fussed about defensive reinforcements. We don't score goals! That's what needs addressing. Either we start playing a more offensive set up, tell Fabio he's now a key player and actually play him (if we think he's good enough) or make signings.

If we still play 5 at the back with the same offensive personnel we will continue to struggle offensively. Madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different responses!

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep reading about, wingers, midfielders, when what we want is goal scorers. Have seen Palanhina play, not over impressed, if Neves stays do we need Nunes. I keep reading about wingers, we've already go to many. Me I would go for Pukki at Norwich, scored goals and made assists last year in a poor team.
I couldn't agree more , he's a natural goalscorer, in a rubbish team with no possessor chances last season,,,,he still scored more than our 2 strikers added together

Back
Top Bottom