Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ask Wolves

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's because it's unfortunately all waffle.

Look at how the language around football clubs has now changed.

'Self sustainable' = 'we won't put any money in'. The same thing yet to some people saying the former sounds better, it's just soft words used to avoid saying what matters.

They're not really trying much different either, many football owners have different business interests now, we as a football club aren't going to benefit from eSports, just like other clubs won't benefit from whatever their owners do.

You have to judge on action.

Our owners are not spending any money. They have no intention of spending money. They plan to cash in on our best and most sellable assets and they will do.

There's no magic formula to this. We're just plodding along now until we go down. We might last two to three years before it gets serious? Maybe not. But, as Burnley have shown, lack of investment means relegation at some point in the current climate.

This isn't me saying Fosun should put money in, it's up to them and they've done enough if you judge on improvements from where we started.

Ultimately, Jeff is just good at talking and it makes it all sound as part of one big grand plan or avoiding the point.

You call it waffle, but its the strategy of the Fosun Sports Group and its being backed by some serious players in an area of business that many of us don't really understand.

Peak6, Evil Genius, Fosun are after a piece of a multi-billion $ industry. I looked it up the Video game Fortnite made $5.2billion last year - just one game. I have seen my 13 & 15 year old nephews playing - it means stuff all to me

I know stuff all about it, but in ten years someone is going to be making a shed load of cash somewhere - even if the chances are just 1% success I want that to be Fosun Sports Group because that will benefit Wolves football club.

Its fairly simple really, our top six aspirations can't be met with the 200,000 or so UK based fans - but could if that was supported by other significant revenue streams from overseas or other aspects of the entertainment sector.

We don't really have to understand it do we, we just have to have a bit of faith that it's a well researched potentially lucrative business opportunity that a big global business thinks is worth a punt (and big investment)

We will sell Neves and a few others, we will pick up some reasonable replacements and we will go again. We may not make the top six, or even the top ten but I expect to stay in the prem and our younger players will get a chance or be sold to fund better players.

I am hopeful for the future, because Fosun's long term objectives do align with mine - seeing wolves stay in the prem for decades and slowly build a sustainable club.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the videos yet as you’re 8 hours ahead but I have read through all your comments and apparently there’s no real surprises, good or bad but the IPO is interesting.
Many positive remarks about Bruno but I‘ll wait and see what he does rather than what he says or how he comes across.
We always knew the limitations on transfer spending but for the last lousy several months I was hoping/fantasizing Fosun might see a need to break their rules and inject £100m or more into the club. We could certainly do with a helpful nudge after the terrible football for the last two seasons.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So Barry wants stadium extended, more spending on the playing squad and cheaper tickets for his whole family.

Does Barry ask his boss for a pay rise to work less days a week?
Most people can stomach a rise for investment in the squad, better facilities and a good brand of football.

Currently we have **** facilities, no real investment and a **** brand of football.

For all the talk of investment and diversification in different areas. For your average fan what is better about now than 3 years ago and where are we seeing value for ticket increases far above inflation because I’m yet to see anyone back up the better quality product argument when you look back against the season we went up and the season that followed which were a lot cheaper.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most people can stomach a rise for investment in the squad, better facilities and a good brand of football.

Currently we have **** facilities, no real investment and a **** brand of football.

For all the talk of investment and diversification in different areas. For your average fan what is better about now than 3 years ago and where are we seeing value for ticket increases far above inflation because I’m yet to see anyone back up the better quality product argument when you look back against the season we went up and the season that followed which were a lot cheaper.
But you, me and all the other legacy fans are irrelevant compared to the transient fans in Mexico, China and Korea in Jeff World.

Woody

Groupie
Reaction score
As a season ticket holder for most of the past 40 years and having watched Jeff's video I believe I'm now somewhat irrelevant.
The Moxey era transformed me from being a loyal supporter into a customer and now it sounds like I'm just a hanger-on, an obstacle in the way of molding the club into a global brand.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a season ticket holder for most of the past 40 years and having watched Jeff's video I believe I'm now somewhat irrelevant.
The Moxey era transformed me from being a loyal supporter into a customer and now it sounds like I'm just a hanger-on, an obstacle in the way of molding the club into a global brand.
Too right, fan of 60+ plus years attended around 3k games but some kid in Korea is more important to Jeff, see how this works out, basically taking the legacy fans for granted as assuming their brand loyalty can be ****ed on whilst going for the global market.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You call it waffle, but its the strategy of the Fosun Sports Group and its being backed by some serious players in an area of business that many of us don't really understand.

Peak6, Evil Genius, Fosun are after a piece of a multi-billion $ industry. I looked it up the Video game Fortnite made $5.2billion last year - just one game. I have seen my 13 & 15 year old nephews playing - it means stuff all to me

I know stuff all about it, but in ten years someone is going to be making a shed load of cash somewhere - even if the chances are just 1% success I want that to be Fosun Sports Group because that will benefit Wolves football club.

Its fairly simple really, our top six aspirations can't be met with the 200,000 or so UK based fans - but could if that was supported by other significant revenue streams from overseas or other aspects of the entertainment sector.

We don't really have to understand it do we, we just have to have a bit of faith that it's a well researched potentially lucrative business opportunity that a big global business thinks is worth a punt (and big investment)

We will sell Neves and a few others, we will pick up some reasonable replacements and we will go again. We may not make the top six, or even the top ten but I expect to stay in the prem and our younger players will get a chance or be sold to fund better players.

I am hopeful for the future, because Fosun's long term objectives do align with mine - seeing wolves stay in the prem for decades and slowly build a sustainable club.
But there's nothing to suggest if Fosun's esports is successful that we will benefit from it, you're just hoping that's the case.

Haven't they made a point of saying Wolves are our own thing? About being self-sustainable? Us as a football club is different to Wolves as an esports brand.

They are a multi-billion pound company or whatever it is, so the money is there. Why is money specifically from esports going to make a difference? It's not like they don't have the money available now.

There's a lot of wishful thinking I feel from your post.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But you, me and all the other legacy fans are irrelevant compared to the transient fans in Mexico, China and Korea in Jeff World.
I thought it was insane when he suggested we had loads of fans in Mexico last year, it even prompted Jonny Phillips to say something along the lines of 'but they're not really fans are they'.

He's doubled down today. It's crazy. They're mistaking followers for fans.

Unfortunately many of us have seen how this plays out. If/When we go down then there will be a lot of backtracking to try and make it alright with the legacy fans.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He really didn’t say that though did he?

"Actually, there are a lot of supporters now around the world, so if we are talking about some supporters on social media here, for Wolves, the first-team, I think maybe not totally on the same page, I can admit that. But if we are talking about all the fanbase around the world, so, for example, some fans from America, some fans from China, some fans more interested in esports rather than football, some maybe are just new fans to Wolves, so I think more or less, for the majority, we are on the same page..."

To me that certainly sounds like the local fans are seen as less relevant.

I guess they are, seen strictly from a commercial perspective. However it doesn't come across as the brightest thing to say in an interview, one must presumed us also aimed at "Legacy fans

And back to that. What hope and vision did Shi have for that loyal local fanbase? What's the vision for Wolves, the football team?

Hard to tell really. But I do know that "Growing the branch" is not a vision that will fill local fans with excitement and expectancy..

But that probably doesn't matter anyway..

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm wondering what was going through Johnny Phillip's mind when Shi was basically alienating his club from the 200,000 locals.
This point could be a PR disaster for Jeff, if/when things get worse on the pitch.
Exactly that I think he has become complacent about the fans here and if next season thing start to turn negative fans won't forget these type of comments he makes and could turn a bit toxic. Won't be a good look for Fosun for the "new supporters". around the world to see...

Really feel this was a PR own goal from Shi...

T

TheConcourse

Watched the first 2 so far. Thoughts:

1. Bruno - the guy waffled on for almost an hour without really saying anything or answering the questions fully. I’m surprised he’s survived to be honest, I don’t think he’s got a clue what he wants to change or how.

2. Sellars - either he’s pregnant or it’s the worst fitting raincoat ever.
He’s hiding his dossiers up there.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading the paper today I learnt that we are now the only premier league club with Chinese owners.
Given that Newcastle are now owned by a country i.e. Saudi Arabia, my ideal scenario would be for the Chinese government to decide that they want to 'make a statement' in the English Premier league and buy Wolves from Fosun and fund it accordingly to enable us to have the best team in the world, with the best ground.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
"Technical director Scott Sellars insists he will ‘push’ for any money from Ruben Neves’ potential sale to be reinvested to strengthen Wolverhampton Wanderers’ squad."

We are being Milked.
Maybe I'll be proven wrong by the time the window closes but its not looking likely.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Actually, there are a lot of supporters now around the world, so if we are talking about some supporters on social media here, for Wolves, the first-team, I think maybe not totally on the same page, I can admit that. But if we are talking about all the fanbase around the world, so, for example, some fans from America, some fans from China, some fans more interested in esports rather than football, some maybe are just new fans to Wolves, so I think more or less, for the majority, we are on the same page..."

To me that certainly sounds like the local fans are seen as less relevant.

I guess they are, seen strictly from a commercial perspective. However it doesn't come across as the brightest thing to say in an interview, one must presumed us also aimed at "Legacy fans

And back to that. What hope and vision did Shi have for that loyal local fanbase? What's the vision for Wolves, the football team?

Hard to tell really. But I do know that "Growing the branch" is not a vision that will fill local fans with excitement and expectancy..

But that probably doesn't matter anyway..
My take was that he isn’t going to pander to bunches of keyboard warriors on social media who don’t like anything Fosun do and criticise everything. Wolves and Shi have tried on multiple occasions to explain what they are doing but it’s too difficult for some to comprehend or it means change which people don’t like as they’d prefer to remain mid table in the Championship, telling anyone who asks that we were great in the 50s.

Wolves were never going to compete if they just focused on the 30,000 regular fans and the 170,000 fans locally. Compare that to the big 6 and a number of others and just focusing on local supporters means that we’d get absolutely no where. We have to grow our revenue and part of that is raising our profile and selling to people beyond Wolverhampton. That’s what Jeff is talking about. Similarly, people say we won’t invest, what he says is that we can only invest so much because of FFP, here and in Europe. To raise the ceiling we need to increase our revenue and that is what they are doing. He also says he wants to be competing at the top but not occasionally but every season. To do that we need more revenue, we need to think long term not just next week. It’s why we won’t spend ££ms on 29/30 year old players with no resale value and pay them fortunes to do so. It’s not hard. We might not get a quick fix but we might get a sustained fix in a few years time without being £100sm in debt.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After reading this thread throughout the day I thought Jeff Shi was going to say something truly shocking. I've just watched his interview and I found myself agreeing with a lot of what he had to say. Maybe I was on a fish finger high after eating my tea. It's taken ENIC 20 years to get Spurs to where they are now, and even they find it tough to compete against the other scummy six. To be honest, unless you've been living under a rock for the last two or three years did you expect him to say anything different. Long-term success in the Premier League will inevitably come from increasing revenues and corporate sales. We're a midtable Premier League team operating at our limits, and still well over a hundred million pound a year from competing with Spurs.

I thought Russell Jones spoke well and always comes across as the most polished speaker on the leadership team. He's had some good PR training. If he gets rid of that goal music that would be a bonus.

R

reanswolf

What I don't get is the club seem to ignore 'local fan growth'.

For the first time in decades we are in a position to exploit the benefit of being the best local team, and yet its all about fans abroad.
I understand the need to expand the club by different means, but not at the expense or ignoring of the actual paying customer. That is surely a road to self-explosion.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After reading this thread throughout the day I thought Jeff Shi was going to say something truly shocking. I've just watched his interview and I found myself agreeing with a lot of what he had to say. Maybe I was on a fish finger high after eating my tea. It's taken ENIC 20 years to get Spurs to where they are now, and even they find it tough to compete against the other scummy six. To be honest, unless you've been living under a rock for the last two or three years did you expect him to say anything different. Long-term success in the Premier League will inevitably come from increasing revenues and corporate sales. We're a midtable Premier League team operating at our limits, and still well over a hundred million pound a year from competing with Spurs.

I thought Russell Jones spoke well and always comes across as the most polished speaker on the leadership team. He's had some good PR training. If he gets rid of that goal music that would be a bonus.

Good to read that. I was going to watch them after getting home from work…. but after coming on here ran myself a warm bath and lobbed the toaster in instead

R

reanswolf

The problem is it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, they are all so corporately-polished that they will be congratulating each other even if we really start struggling.

Bruno's interview was the best thing I heard today.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't wait to buy my 120 quid wolves pro shirt this coming season, I'm also extremely happy I've renewed my 3 BW upper central tickets. I'm especially grateful that I now get to pay an extra 100 quid a ticket for the privilege of sitting more centrally. Thank you Jeff for the opportunity to increase our revenue so we can afford to challenge the big 6 in 20 years.
I can't wait to not see Neves in old gold next season, I'm glad we are selling him to become more self sufficient and increase revenue.
I'm happy that Guo has made a great profit making us an established PL team. Long may it continue. I'm so grateful.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My take was that he isn’t going to pander to bunches of keyboard warriors on social media who don’t like anything Fosun do and criticise everything. Wolves and Shi have tried on multiple occasions to explain what they are doing but it’s too difficult for some to comprehend or it means change which people don’t like as they’d prefer to remain mid table in the Championship, telling anyone who asks that we were great in the 50s.

Wolves were never going to compete if they just focused on the 30,000 regular fans and the 170,000 fans locally. Compare that to the big 6 and a number of others and just focusing on local supporters means that we’d get absolutely no where. We have to grow our revenue and part of that is raising our profile and selling to people beyond Wolverhampton. That’s what Jeff is talking about. Similarly, people say we won’t invest, what he says is that we can only invest so much because of FFP, here and in Europe. To raise the ceiling we need to increase our revenue and that is what they are doing. He also says he wants to be competing at the top but not occasionally but every season. To do that we need more revenue, we need to think long term not just next week. It’s why we won’t spend ££ms on 29/30 year old players with no resale value and pay them fortunes to do so. It’s not hard. We might not get a quick fix but we might get a sustained fix in a few years time without being £100sm in debt.

I haven't met or heard one Wolves that have a problem with Fosun growing the brand and exploring different opportunities for revenue. As you state, its and obvious route to take if you want a higher ceiling.

I've however seen and heard quite a lot of fans being critical of the neglect of the first team in the past 2 seasons, helped quite a lot by some bizarre decision such as splashing 60 million on Hoever, Hwang and Silva, loaning out Adama without obligation or loan fee, or decide that 3 central midfielders was more than adequate.

Are these critics just keyboard warriors? I doubt it.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done to Wolves for doing this again. It might not please everyone, and their answers will be argued over in the coming weeks, but from what I've seen there aren't many clubs that open themselves up like this.

Johnny Phillips did a good job again. The one point I think he got wrong was where the aways fans sit. From what I've read the away fans hate sitting in the lower tier of the Steve Bull. Other than that I think he did well.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Sellars comment about Cundle is still annoying me. What a complete and utter load of *******s he was spouting. Didnt want to buy another central midfield player despite having only 3 central midfield players, one who is 35 because they didnt want to stop Cundle coming through. Trouble is Sellars how many times did our head coach trust him to play after the window closed in January? Not many and even when Moutinho was looking jaded towards the end of the season and Neves wasnt fully fit. he still wasnt getting a kick. I like Cundle but the stuff that Sellars is spouting there is a complete and utter load of *******s in my opinion.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Sellars comment about Cundle is still annoying me. What a complete and utter load of *******s he was spouting. Didnt want to buy another central midfield player despite having only 3 central midfield players, one who is 35 because they didnt want to stop Cundle coming through. Trouble is Sellars how many times did our head coach trust him to play after the window closed in January? Not many and even when Moutinho was looking jaded towards the end of the season and Neves wasnt fully fit. he still wasnt getting a kick. I like Cundle but the stuff that Sellars is spouting there is a complete and utter load of *******s in my opinion.
Campbell too

HE PLAYED 2 MINUTES

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't wait to buy my 120 quid wolves pro shirt this coming season, I'm also extremely happy I've renewed my 3 BW upper central tickets. I'm especially grateful that I now get to pay an extra 100 quid a ticket for the privilege of sitting more centrally. Thank you Jeff for the opportunity to increase our revenue so we can afford to challenge the big 6 in 20 years.
I can't wait to not see Neves in old gold next season, I'm glad we are selling him to become more self sufficient and increase revenue.
I'm happy that Guo has made a great profit making us an established PL team. Long may it continue. I'm so grateful.

Wtf is that about

Back
Top Bottom