Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bust up

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club appear to think it is an injury that can be managed with an injection if what I have read is correct.
Strikes me as he’s unwilling to fight for the cause and if true im plenty unimpressed.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great season? We're on 4 points more than last season and may realistically not get another. Last season Arsenal finished 8th on 61 points and last season 49 would have seen us finish 12th, one spot above where we finished.

If we finish 8th then it exceeds expectation in terms of League table, but there's nothing in it points wise and performances have arguable got worse.

Would hate to know where we'd be points wise if it wasn't for Sa's season.
Could care less about points. Places are all that matters. 8>13

Performances not much better (if at all) - very true.

But considering I expected us to be right in the relegation mix, top half has to be viewed as a big success.

And a lot of the posters expressing dismay also had us tipped to struggle, begging one to ask the question how can this not be considered above expectations?

Has it been fun to watch? For the most part, no. I've enjoyed a few games (man Utd, Everton away were great, and Watford at home was obviously lovely) but performances have been flat and dull.

But, as I said, 8>13.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very poor if Podence isnt playing when he could with the help of an injection.
To play Devil's advocate, would you expect to be forced to do your job (with the help of an injection) if you were injured and at risk or more serious/permanent injury?

We don't know what the potential risks to Podence are, it's a little bit unfair to say it's very poor if he doesn't play.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To play Devil's advocate, would you expect to be forced to do your job (with the help of an injection) if you were injured and at risk or more serious/permanent injury?

We don't know what the potential risks to Podence are, it's a little bit unfair to say it's very poor if he doesn't play.

Agree mate. I was harsh there on Pod.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may have been a bit harsh on Podence to be fair. I suppose none of us know what the injury is. Very frustrating.
Yeah. It's frustrating because he's such a good player but I still remember how useless he was last season when carrying a knock

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Depends on what the medical team think.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Podence one is a difficult one.

Most players tell you that they're never actually fully fit and always have something to get them through a game.

Yet, as mentioned above, Podence played through the pain last year and it was a waste of time as he was awful and then was out for a while.

So can't really offer a comment as we don't know how bad it is.

Interesting that there is truth to this though, because this was originally a Twitter rumour. Why is Spiers only telling us now that it's come out online? Why hasn't he told us before if he knew? That's what I don't like about all this. It also makes me think the other rumours are true.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Additionally to that on Twitter

"Jonny's probably not the happiest at playing RWB " - yet has played their and lwb when needed

If there was an issue he wouldn't have come on at the weekend, ditto with Raul - well semedo got injured meaning he had to come on, as lye clearly doesn't trust Hoever

"Podence is a bit of a grey area, has an injury & potentially could play through injections, but he's unwilling at the moment" - player doesn't want to play because he could further damage himself

Honestly wish we had better local journalists that actually ask tough questions rather than being the club propaganda piece

We were never going to know the truth but the club a line will always be smooth sailing. Sure take what people say with a pinch of salt but when others say it surely the dominoes line up
having been a local journo (of sorts) years ago, I have to stick up for them here.

If you break an embargo or repeatedly report stories the club do not fancy you reporting, clubs commonly inform the paper that they're no longer prepared to deal directly with said journalist. And that usually ends up in a pretty swift departure.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree, why would you play with an injection that could mean that you over exert and further injury yourself?

Infuriating, isn't it? If he played and got taken off early , and word got out he had to have injections, then there would outrage about that. "Why was he allowed to play? The whole club is useless and everybody needs sacking from top to bottom. ". It seems the thing to do is start "outraged" , then work backwards to find the reason for the outrage.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
having been a local journo (of sorts) years ago, I have to stick up for them here.

If you break an embargo or repeatedly report stories the club do not fancy you reporting, clubs commonly inform the paper that they're no longer prepared to deal directly with said journalist. And that usually ends up in a pretty swift departure.

Thank you for your input, I see your points

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Infuriating, isn't it? If he played and got taken off early , and word got out he had to have injections, then there would outrage about that. "Why was he allowed to play? The whole club is useless and everybody needs sacking from top to bottom. ". It seems the thing to do is start "outraged" , then work backwards to find the reason for the outrage.
I know it sounds glib, but he could also just be scared of needles. My girlfriend would rather die than receive an Injection!

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I covered Pompey the season they got relegated from the Championship. I replaced a guy that my publication let go because he wouldn't stop harping on about how badly run Portsmouth were. Turns out he was spot on!

Well that's interesting as a job, would you say because your we're not a pompey fan you could write better about them?

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It concerns me that this report about Podence sounds like spin from the club blaming the player.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Depends on what the medical team think.
Well yes but we don't know what that is. I think Podence deserves the benefit of the doubt unless it can be proven that playing through the injury with injections is of no risk to his future health or fitness.

If I'd been signed off work and my employer was trying to force me back with injections when I was at risk of further/prolonged/more serious injury I'd be pretty reluctant as well.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course a lot depends on who you believe. I'm inclined to believe that the "bust up" line did come from within the club to start with, which would indicate some trouble in the camp. When you can't verify either side, look at the evidence, and I've never ever seen people like Jonny show such lack of interest as on Saturday.

Personally, I'd have Jonny down as one of the players least likely to play badly through disinterest/throwing a strop about an argument.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could care less about points. Places are all that matters. 8>13

Performances not much better (if at all) - very true.

But considering I expected us to be right in the relegation mix, top half has to be viewed as a big success.

And a lot of the posters expressing dismay also had us tipped to struggle, begging one to ask the question how can this not be considered above expectations?

Has it been fun to watch? For the most part, no. I've enjoyed a few games (man Utd, Everton away were great, and Watford at home was obviously lovely) but performances have been flat and dull.

But, as I said, 8>13.

Agree with most of that. But not so much on the performances. I suspect you've forgotten how bad the typical performance was from last season. This season, though not that good, we have attempted to be more attacking and less dour. And even succeded at times! The first 3 matches, that was as entertaining as we have ever played in this division. Also, remember we went a whole season where first halves may as well not have existed? That has been dealt with this season, we even had a spell of scoring early, something we rarely did under Nuno.

At times we've actually played some really good football this season - until we get to the opponents penalty area, which does let things down. But still, maybe 10 - 20% of the minutes played, we got forward far better than last season. The Norwich and Burnley 0-0's stand out as exceptionally dire this season - but we were duller than that in numerous matches last season. Even against 9 man Arsenal, we kept the ball on our own half way line for the final 30 minutes. I've never seen an 11 against 9 look so terrified at playing actual football as that.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I'd have Jonny down as one of the players least likely to play badly through disinterest/throwing a strop about an argument.
I wouldn't really have had many of our players down as likely to, to be honest. But neither would I have had them down as capable of spending 90 minutes watching the opposition play.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Additionally to that on Twitter

"Jonny's probably not the happiest at playing RWB " - yet has played their and lwb when needed

If there was an issue he wouldn't have come on at the weekend, ditto with Raul - well semedo got injured meaning he had to come on, as lye clearly doesn't trust Hoever

"Podence is a bit of a grey area, has an injury & potentially could play through injections, but he's unwilling at the moment" - player doesn't want to play because he could further damage himself

Honestly wish we had better local journalists that actually ask tough questions rather than being the club propaganda piece

We were never going to know the truth but the club a line will always be smooth sailing. Sure take what people say with a pinch of salt but when others say it surely the dominoes line up
Johnny otto is happy to play on the right or the left. Why would he be unhappy? He played both positions at celta vigo.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not that simple. Remember Allan 'quick-draw' McGraw the old Morton (or St Mirren ?) striker whose knees are shot after taking too many injections as the club wanted/needed him to keep playing ? I doubt Podence wants to end up like that.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not that simple. Remember Allan 'quick-draw' McGraw the old Morton (or St Mirren ?) striker whose knees are shot after taking too many injections as the club wanted/needed him to keep playing ? I doubt Podence wants to end up like that.
On a similar theme, and closer to home ...

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a similar theme, and closer to home ...

Yeah. Cortisone, the sportsman's friend - until it isn't.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Impossible to make a judgement without knowing what the injury is. The great Tommy Smith played through injury by taking an injection on many occasions. He ended up in a wheelchair in his 60s, unable to walk and crippled with arthritis.
I think there were many like that, players were treated like plates of meat. To be fair I don’t blame Podence after last year’s experience of playing with injury.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Easy for you or anyone else to say. Maybe Podence knows his body better than anyone else?

The guy’s whole wolves career has been littered with niggles and hasn’t until this season ever looked fully fit. Now injured again, I’m sure it’s in his and the club’s best interest to give him the appropriate time to recover. It’s not like there is anything left to play for this season.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strikes me as he’s unwilling to fight for the cause and if true im plenty unimpressed.

I can see both sides of the argument. I have a mate over here who plays Rugby league in the NRL and he was playing for one of the the biggest clubs in the competition ( Brisbane Broncos ). In his position the team was struggling for players so he put off shoulder surgery and played about a third of the season with injections in his shoulders. He ended up needed a double shoulder operation and it cost him a year of his career and a good chance of cementing himself there. These injections can do a lot more harm than good.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did Podence refuse injections ?

….anybody know the facts or is this silly rumour? Are some getting their undies in a twist over something that never happened?

anybody?

Back
Top Bottom