Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno- stay or out?

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
Players brought in are simply not ready (and in some cases nowhere near ready) or not good enough.

Squad size is not big enough and that’s on Fosun. Bruno has been saying for how long that he needs 2 players for each position? Again, that’s on the owners and the folks advising them.

Letting Traore go on loan, whether you rate him or not, was a mistake.

We look (at the moment) out of our depth. Thank Christ we’ve got the points on the board because we look like relegation fodder at the minute.

But you have to look at the injury situation that has had a negative impact as well. Losing key players at any point in season and not having equal quality to come in will screw any side.

I’m not one to come on here and be negative and I’ll always try and pick the bones out and look at things from other angles for perspective. Unfortunately though it’s getting hard to do this at the moment.

Recruitment this summer is critical. Stating the bloody obvious I know, but we’re at a tipping point now. Things could go bad very quickly.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which has largely been on the back of a good first half, can we say the second half has been good, do you strongly believe this is just a blip?

Need I say next season starts earlier so less time to get over the hangover.
Therein lies the rub my friend! Unsure - I do know that were I to be an objective viewer, I would laugh at Wolves fans wanting the manager gone. I'd also think 'typical of an overachieving team'

Then again, I didn't bother watching today and I've lost interest since Leeds.

Some of that is down to me, yes (I do this most seasons when there isn't anything to play for), but the performances have been hot poop for the last month.

It just ****es me off when the flavour of the month becomes the villain of the piece after 5 bad games.

What happens if we win the next 4? manager of the month and hope he doesn't get poached?

I think Nuno was very very very harshly treated and I would never have sacked him. I would also argue that appointing a new manager and subsequently not backing him in the transfer market AND THEN firing him for turning 13th into 8th would be madness.

I'm quite a logical person when it comes to football, which I believe puts me in the complete minority as it's obviously meant to be a passionate passionate game.

I just find that there seems to be an almost pathological need for fans of most clubs nowadays to be Sith-like. Either everything is brilliant and these are the greatest days ever, or we'm a joke club, something is rotten etc.

Consequently, when you read message boards of teams like Palace, Southampton and Brighton (and Wolves), there are always two polemics, depending upon the recent form. In truth, we are all just 'alright' but that's not very exciting!

As a caveat, I'd have gone for Benitez and never ever have sacked Dyche, so what do I know?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Replace with whom, realistically, that could get anything other than a spurt of motivation out of this stale lot?

You all must sense the diminishing returns with this squad's performances. I'd much rather see a sea-change at board level, and Bruno given a chance to form a new team identity out of Nuno's shadow.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d replace him only if we have someone really good to replace him. Otherwise keep him for one more year as he will get us 14th. or slightly better next year.
That gives Jeff some time to search but we have to be prepared to pay them properly.

BTW……..I mean REALLY good.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can see why some are saying he should stay but for me the last 3 games have been deeply concerning. We can all argue about him not been backed etc but who in their right mind subs off Silva like he has done in the last few games instead of Hwang? He looks clueless with in game tactics and management and not just the last 3 games either. Who would play Dendoncker on the right wing when he has Chiquinho, Trincao, Neto sat on the bench or even Luke Cundle who is far better at pressing from midfield? He persists with Saiss who has quite frankly been a bag of ****e since returning from AFCON where Lage dropped Toti who looked quite decent. It just seems mistake after mistake by Lage who I think got lucky with some results earlier in the season thanks to the defence being good and Sa.

We really are lucky to be in 8th and dont deserve to be in my opinion as our football is largely atrocious and safety first. I wont leave any sleep if Lage is to leave any time soon. The players dont look bothered anymore and what does that say about him?!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can see why some are saying he should stay but for me the last 3 games have been deeply concerning. We can all argue about him not been backed etc but who in their right mind subs off Silva like he has done in the last few games instead of Hwang? He looks clueless with in game tactics and management and not just the last 3 games either. Who would play Dendoncker on the right wing when he has Chiquinho, Trincao, Neto sat on the bench or even Luke Cundle who is far better at pressing from midfield? He persists with Saiss who has quite frankly been a bag of ****e since returning from AFCON where Lage dropped Toti who looked quite decent. It just seems mistake after mistake by Lage who I think got lucky with some results earlier in the season thanks to the defence being good and Sa.

We really are lucky to be in 8th and dont deserve to be in my opinion as our football is largely atrocious and safety first. I wont leave any sleep if Lage is to leave any time soon. The players dont look bothered anymore and what does that say about him?!
I agree with the Silva and Saiss comments and I also don't think we are the 8th best team in the league. I think he's done a good job: 7/10. Had a very bad month though.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the Silva and Saiss comments and I also don't think we are the 8th best team in the league. I think he's done a good job: 7/10. Had a very bad month though.

Appreciate your comments mate. My gut feeling is Lage is out of his depth and has been worked out. I think he will gone before Christmas if he is still here next season if not before.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
over the whole season still undecided, over the last 3 OUT, where has the attacking football of the first few games gone. 3 games now and we haven't even remotely looked like scoring. Can't help feeling something has gone on behind the scenes, something not right. Today we were half a yard slower all over the pitch than Brighton, think we had about one shot on target.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Appreciate your comments mate. My gut feeling is Lage is out of his depth and has been worked out. I think he will gone before Christmas if he is still here next season if not before.
If we start next season badly, I think you'll be right.
I don't really know what I think of him tbh. I think he's done well, but not in the way I expected him to. Now that the defence has stopped being so stingy though, we look like a nothing team.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I voiced my concerns about him sone time back when I questioned his insistence on playing Trincao. I said then if he believes Trincao should be spending 90 minutes on the pitch then he doesn’t know much about the game. To compound matters he was doing that and leaving Traore on the bench so there’s Adama pondering whether to sign a new contract or not watching Trincao ahead of him in the pecking order. I disagreed with his public dressing down of Hoever too. I’d like to see him go.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we start next season badly, I think you'll be right.
I don't really know what I think of him tbh. I think he's done well, but not in the way I expected him to. Now that the defence has stopped being so stingy though, we look like a nothing team.

We have absolutely no identity. That is the massive concern for me.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Question

Based on lage clearly likening hwang and trincao this season too much

Would you trust him to suggest players to bring in to the committee to potentially buy?

Seen a lot of give him the chance to buy his players? But with his choices lack of action in games and overall tactics. I’m not sure he would know how to use them

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 wins in 10. Relegation form.

No goals in last 3 and never looked like scoring in any of them.

Nuno went as we wanted more attacking play….bar first 3 games (when we scored none) and Watford at home….I’ve had more fun at prostrate medical check.

Today’s selection woeful and subs poor.

Team on beach, as they’ve been for weeks, no idea how to create chances without Podence.

Jeff’s lack of support may have scuppered us being higher in table - in reality Jose Sa’s heroics have painted a gloss on a poor campaign. Yes I’m delighted with 8th (or top-half if we achieve it) but unless things change in last 4 games I’m not looking forward to next season.

Hey ho…..

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Therein lies the rub my friend! Unsure - I do know that were I to be an objective viewer, I would laugh at Wolves fans wanting the manager gone. I'd also think 'typical of an overachieving team'

Then again, I didn't bother watching today and I've lost interest since Leeds.

Some of that is down to me, yes (I do this most seasons when there isn't anything to play for), but the performances have been hot poop for the last month.

It just ****es me off when the flavour of the month becomes the villain of the piece after 5 bad games.

What happens if we win the next 4? manager of the month and hope he doesn't get poached?

I think Nuno was very very very harshly treated and I would never have sacked him. I would also argue that appointing a new manager and subsequently not backing him in the transfer market AND THEN firing him for turning 13th into 8th would be madness.

I'm quite a logical person when it comes to football, which I believe puts me in the complete minority as it's obviously meant to be a passionate passionate game.

I just find that there seems to be an almost pathological need for fans of most clubs nowadays to be Sith-like. Either everything is brilliant and these are the greatest days ever, or we'm a joke club, something is rotten etc.

Consequently, when you read message boards of teams like Palace, Southampton and Brighton (and Wolves), there are always two polemics, depending upon the recent form. In truth, we are all just 'alright' but that's not very exciting!

As a caveat, I'd have gone for Benitez and never ever have sacked Dyche, so what do I know?
On the contrary I know many a neutral who would agree he isn't good, my Leicester supporting friend nailed it weeks ago as looking exactly like Puel did for them.

Get the point, but I'll be clear that I was skeptical of Bruno for a good while so me actively wanting him gone rather just going 'meh, fine' is more that I feel the writing is on the wall for how his tenure will go and I'd rather cut the cord now and move on.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ridiculous watching him repeatedly chuntering at Hwang on the touch line. Stop picking him then you dope.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not one for knee jerk criticism but last year we had the relative bright spark of MGW playing and scoring in the same fixture at a similar point of the season.

I’m not saying he’s the messiah, but a year A year on and he’s not playing for us and it seems as if we’re going backwards, if not in position, then certainly in performance and potential

Not all of that is Bruno’s fault of course, but it’s not looking even as promising as last season.

Difficult few months and choices ahead l’m afraid.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
over the whole season still undecided, over the last 3 OUT, where has the attacking football of the first few games gone. 3 games now and we haven't even remotely looked like scoring. Can't help feeling something has gone on behind the scenes, something not right. Today we were half a yard slower all over the pitch than Brighton, think we had about one shot on target.
In the 82nd minute.....

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Where do you start in all honesty? I genuinely think we could debate this for hours and still be none the wiser. Wolves are the ultimate conundrum when it comes to analysis.

The Jekyll and Hyde performances are one of the things I find the most difficult to understand. This however, is not completely new, it existed, albeit to a lesser degree, under Nuno. One game, we genuinely look 2 or 3 top players short of a real top 6 contender and the next, it looks like without our best 2 or 3, we are bottom 3 contenders.

Probably not that black and white but that’s how it appears at a glance. It’s only my view but I think because we have overachieved in the main this season, that fan’s expectations were falsely raised. Then when reality balances things out, we’re all left wondering what happened.

There could be more going on behind the scenes than we know but we can only base it on what we do know. That leads me to thinking, yes we have been awful lately but at the same time we haven’t been consistent all season. Based on what Bruno had to start with, injuries and not having a single top proven player come in, has he done better than expected or worse?

I would have to say better but of course he’s not perfect by any means. His in game management is bewildering and he seems to have more patience with some than others, etc. This is just a guess but could there be too much of a “Portuguese” influence at the club for others liking?

It is a bit of a, be careful what you wish for scenario. After all, it is his first season and all things considered, we would have been elated if someone had offered us this last August.

Can’t help thinking back to Arsenal fans last season and the beginning of this one, continually moaning about Arteta, week in week out, “he needs to go”. Haven’t heard them moaning lately. Things take time and usually investment. Whether that’s the intent at Wolves remains to be seen.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be surprised if he’s here next season, to be honest. I’m not particularly bothered if he stays or goes. He’s been shafted by Jeff, problem is I have absolutely no faith in Jeff getting a replacement right either.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I'm unsure, finding it very difficult to judge. It's very difficult to assess it all. By all accounts, Vieira is having an excellent first season, Potter is a superb coach, Rodgers is an elite coach. However we are above all of those teams in the league despite a lack of investment. Honestly, I'm confused now. I have no idea if Lage is a good coach or not. I do worry that he seems to be panicking lately, making all sorts of strange decisions, new formations and team selections. Is he trying to be inventive and break us out of a rut, or has he lost the plot? Even when we weren't scoring we could always defend well, but we look awful in attack and defence. Answers on a postcard please.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be surprised if he’s here next season, to be honest. I’m not particularly bothered if he stays or goes. He’s been shafted by Jeff, problem is I have absolutely no faith in Jeff getting a replacement right either.
Agree, I'm not bothered if Lage stays but Jeff is an issue too. Totally out of his depth, along with his yes men Sellars and Vinny Clark.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm unsure, finding it very difficult to judge. It's very difficult to assess it all. By all accounts, Vieira is having an excellent first season, Potter is a superb coach, Rodgers is an elite coach. However we are above all of those teams in the league despite a lack of investment. Honestly, I'm confused now. I have no idea if Lage is a good coach or not. I do worry that he seems to be panicking lately, making all sorts of strange decisions, new formations and team selections. Is he trying to be inventive and break us out of a rut, or has he lost the plot? Even when we weren't scoring we could always defend well, but we look awful in attack and defence. Answers on a postcard please.
That's exactly my stance!
I'm primarily bothered about results and they've been better than a lot of teams this season.

Agree on the panicking too

Reaction score
It’s Out for me, never been that impressed and I’m beginning to think I was right. Tactically clueless definitely doesn’t have a Plan B & sometimes barely even seems to have a Plan A. Just seen Ryan Leister on Twitter say that there’s been a bust up between Lage Raul & Jonny which explains a lot & if he’s ‘lost the dressing room’ then he definitely needs to go.

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Im not at all sure - today was bad as said above many times - but

fine margins -

we battered Arsenal at Molineux

had Raul or Hwang scored a second at Arsenal things could have been very different.

dittos Hwang chance at 0-0 at West Ham

and Leeds !

also - we had four today coming back from injury and not anywhere near their former selves.

and we’ve lost out best defender

Adama decision seems strange - we’ve lost our wow player and aren’t a danger on the break anymore

Saiss knackered from Afron.

and we are 8th having lost first three and last 5 by looks of it

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where do you start in all honesty? I genuinely think we could debate this for hours and still be none the wiser. Wolves are the ultimate conundrum when it comes to analysis.

The Jekyll and Hyde performances are one of the things I find the most difficult to understand. This however, is not completely new, it existed, albeit to a lesser degree, under Nuno. One game, we genuinely look 2 or 3 top players short of a real top 6 contender and the next, it looks like without our best 2 or 3, we are bottom 3 contenders.

Probably not that black and white but that’s how it appears at a glance. It’s only my view but I think because we have overachieved in the main this season, that fan’s expectations were falsely raised. Then when reality balances things out, we’re all left wondering what happened.

There could be more going on behind the scenes than we know but we can only base it on what we do know. That leads me to thinking, yes we have been awful lately but at the same time we haven’t been consistent all season. Based on what Bruno had to start with, injuries and not having a single top proven player come in, has he done better than expected or worse?

I would have to say better but of course he’s not perfect by any means. His in game management is bewildering and he seems to have more patience with some than others, etc. This is just a guess but could there be too much of a “Portuguese” influence at the club for others liking?

It is a bit of a, be careful what you wish for scenario. After all, it is his first season and all things considered, we would have been elated if someone had offered us this last August.

Can’t help thinking back to Arsenal fans last season and the beginning of this one, continually moaning about Arteta, week in week out, “he needs to go”. Haven’t heard them moaning lately. Things take time and usually investment. Whether that’s the intent at Wolves remains to be seen.
Good post.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about that.
Sometimes he has set up teams well, usually to defend deep (e.g. Citeh away) but when we fall behind his only solution appears to be to send on more strikers, which is never going to work.

But that's his only option, sub in a forward when behind, which we are way more than we're ahead. Because we have no midfielders to bring on. Which comes back to whether that was his decision or not, to leave us with no options.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's his only option, sub in a forward when behind, which we are way more than we're ahead. Because we have no midfielders to bring on. Which comes back to whether that was his decision or not, to leave us with no options.
He never seems to consider (e.g) moving Saiss into midfield to strengthen it (and bringing on a defender). He has various players who are quite adaptable to different roles but he doesn't seem to have identified the different possibilities.

WV4 Wolves

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust him with any money. Self generated or new money from fosun. We're getting worse not better. We've had a good defence for most of the season which has masked our poor attack. But now the defence has lost form too we have nothing and Bruno looks out of ideas. The subs today were man for man. No difference in idea.

However seen as 5!! Yes 5 at back can't cope with Macallister and an ageing danny welbeck. I am really worried for next season.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give him the financial backing next season and judge him then
The dilemma is can he be trusted to spend it well (the checks and balances are at least in place)? Some of his other decisions must make that doubtful.

Back
Top Bottom