Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Have Villa Owners more Ambition than The Wolves Owners ?

Have Villa Owners more ambition than Wolves (Fosun)?

• Total voters

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not so sure they have many good players. Over priced yes.
They spent a lot on younger guys who were ok in weak leagues, though the scouting was questionable, then a lot on generally older players on the way down. No thought of team shape or future progression. They have become the Midlands Everton, just quicker.
Fortunately a lot of their fans don't see it so I see they have a relegation thread and a European football thread. Neither are likely but I know which one isn't happening this season.

Coutinho and Digne are quality footballers. Bailey if he could stay fit is quality, Buendia and Ings are good premier league players as well, i just think they probably werent the good players Villa needed. Your comment about no thought of the team shape for me hits the nail on the head. They have bought in good players who dont fit what they need.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Coutinho and Digne are quality footballers. Bailey if he could stay fit is quality, Buendia and Ings are good premier league players as well, i just think they probably werent the good players Villa needed. Your comment about no thought of the team shape for me hits the nail on the head. They have bought in good players who dont fit what they need.

This is it, you can’t just throw money at a club and expect to buy a good team - way too many variables involved.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched their game yesterday and they seemed devoid of a system or how they actually wanted to play. Ramsey is a great player, but looked lost. Didnt seem to know what was wanted of him. If McGinn concentrated on playing rather than rolling about with his arms outstretched he’d do much better, seems to have taken up the greasy mantle.
They are now trying to shoehorn coutinho, Buendía, McGinn and Ramsey into the team together and it just doesn’t work. Watford bossed them in midfield and they just had no answers.

It looked to me like the only game plan was to rely on Coutinho to produce a bit of magic. Like watching a school team that has a exceptional player - just give it to the superstar and hope for the best.

I would also add Gerrard already looks like a busted flush. He just sits there, no animation, no interaction and his body language just seems one of a person who doesn’t know what to do. No passion at all.

the boos at the end of the game was a lovely sound :cool::cool:

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They seem to be mimicking the stripey lot down the road in buying over priced seasoned professionals who are not very good and only have a few seasons left in them. Financially this is a crippling policy that has to be underpinned by continuous investment that will eventually come back to haunt them. In comparison we focus on youth and ambition and invest heavily in our youth academy and developing players. So in the long term I am sure the gap is set to grow as things stand.

T

TheConcourse

They seem to be mimicking the stripey lot down the road in buying over priced seasoned professionals who are not very good and only have a few seasons left in them. Financially this is a crippling policy that has to be underpinned by continuous investment that will eventually come back to haunt them. In comparison we focus on youth and ambition and invest heavily in our youth academy and developing players. So in the long term I am sure the gap is set to grow as things stand.
I wonder what their owners are thinking now? Really bad strategy trying to outspend teams in this league.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That list says Guo Guangchange not Fosun....

Fosun have 10x the money than the Villa owners, but it is completely irrelevant as we are just a cog in a huge company.
In my eyes, Wolverhampton Wanderers will never be “just a clog”.

We are a proud football club with a great history and promising future.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what their owners are thinking now? Really bad strategy trying to outspend teams in this league.

Yet it's exactly what some of our fans keep asking for. It doesn't work. It almost never works. We don't get everything right but we at least we do things with the long term in mind, even silva.

Cundle and MGW could come in next season and save us an absolute fortune for example.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
and possibly some of the 46.5% who voted yes might come back one day and tell us why they did

If not ambition, why else would villas owners want to pump hundreds of millions into the club?

Their recruitment team being ****e and wasting that money doesn't detract from the fact that their owners are ambitious.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If not ambition, why else would villas owners want to pump hundreds of millions into the club?

Their recruitment team being ****e and wasting that money doesn't detract from the fact that their owners are ambitious.
they may well have ambition but it doesn't mean they have more than Fosun which is what the question asked

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You're correct.
Fosuns chronic lack of investment screams ambition.
Fosun's position indicates to me that they have a sustainable and intelligent plan that has a much better chance of reaping ambitious rewards in the longer term than the Villa approach of chucking loads of money at big name payers and managers in a short-term gamble that's been shown many times to have a much higher chance of failure than success

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun's position indicates to me that they have a sustainable and intelligent plan that has a much better chance of reaping ambitious rewards in the longer term than the Villa approach of chucking loads of money at big name payers and managers in a short-term gamble that's been shown many times to have a much higher chance of failure than success

Villas owners are throwing money at their squad because they are (rightly or wrongly) aiming to break into the elite.

Fosun meanwhile, employ a manager who has constantly asked for more players and competition within his squad to avoid long term muscle injuries, allow for greater tactical variation, and have greater chance at achieving the highest league position the squad is capable of. Fosun have not backed their manager.

Having a plan to be sustainable isn't a sign of ambition.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Villas owners are throwing money at their squad because they are (rightly or wrongly) aiming to break into the elite.

Fosun meanwhile, employ a manager who has constantly asked for more players and competition within his squad to avoid long term muscle injuries, allow for greater tactical variation, and have greater chance at achieving the highest league position the squad is capable of. Fosun have not backed their manager.

Having a plan to be sustainable isn't a sign of ambition.
if you want to wilfully misconstrue my words in such a way there is little point in discussion tbh

the plan is not to be sustainable as an end in itself, the plan is to be as successful as possible in a sustainable way and I'm sure not even the most dedicated anti-Fosunite would argue in favour of un-sustainabilty because that would be an utterly ridiculous position to maintain wouldn't it KBWWFC?

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if you want to wilfully misconstrue my words in such a way there is little point in discussion tbh

the plan is not to be sustainable as an end in itself, the plan is to be as successful as possible in a sustainable way and I'm sure not even the most dedicated anti-Fosunite would argue in favour of un-sustainabilty because that would be an utterly ridiculous position to maintain wouldn't it KBWWFC?

The club not going out of business is the minimum expectation of an owner. It is not a sign of ambition.

Nobody looks at Southampton and goes "wow what an ambitious club".

Giving the manager the tools to compete, have a proper go at the cups, that's ambition.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can absolutely think that Villa’s owners have more ambition yet prefer the plan Fosun are following.

It was frustrating to have the January (and summer) window we have seen while so close to breaking the top six, but I can see why we did.

They have the benefit of the doubt and the upcoming summer window will tell us an awful lot.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Dutch, predictive text and excess alcohol have a lot to answer for!
Glad that you took it in the spirit it was intended... On a train heading South slowly thawing out. The beer did NOT act as antifreeze lol...

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting to note Villa posted losses of £38 million for the 20/21 season this week. That takes their losses over the last three years to £206.1 mill.

18/19 - £68.9 million loss
19/20 - £99.2 million loss
20/21 - £38 million loss

I thought clubs were only allowed £105 million in losses over a 3 year period to comply with Premier League FFP, let alone the maximum £30 mill losses over a 3 year period accepted by UEFA.

Are there any sanctions likely?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Interesting to note Villa posted losses of £38 million for the 20/21 season this week. That takes their losses over the last three years to £206.1 mill.

20/21 - £38 million loss

I thought clubs were only allowed £105 million in losses over a 3 year period to comply with Premier League FFP, let alone the maximum £30 mill losses over a 3 year period accepted by UEFA.

Only if they are relegated or get into europe., Everton losses are higher

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read that they are planning to give Villa Park a facelift and increase the capacity to 50,000
I know we all love Molineux, but the appearance of the ground in it's present state pales in comparison to Villa Park which is a magnificent stadium, which any player would want to play in.
So in terms of the ground, yes, they are more ambitious than us.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

20/21 - £38 million loss

I think they get some leeway for the 19/20 season due to Covid, but not sure exactly how much.

Whatever happens, they are unlikely to be relegated or qualify for Europe this season (where UEFA require clubs to break-even), so it's whether the Covid allowances keep them within the Premier League's loss levels.

I think for the period just gone, Villa's maximum rolling losses under normal circumstances would have been £83m (£13m for the Championship season 18/19, then £35m for 19/20 and 20/21 Premier League). Like I say, it's hard to get to the bottom of exactly what is discounted for Covid.

I find it odd that clubs were allowed to continue spending on transfers, yet still have allowances for losses due to Covid?! Surely the two should have been separated?

Then next season they will have £100m falling into their accounts from the Grealish sale anyway, which will balance the books.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they get some leeway for the 19/20 season due to Covid, but not sure exactly how much.

Whatever happens, they are unlikely to be relegated or qualify for Europe this season (where UEFA require clubs to break-even), so it's whether the Covid allowances keep them within the Premier League's loss levels.

I think for the period just gone, Villa's maximum rolling losses under normal circumstances would have been £83m (£13m for the Championship season 18/19, then £35m for 19/20 and 20/21 Premier League). Like I say, it's hard to get to the bottom of exactly what is discounted for Covid.

I find it odd that clubs were allowed to continue spending on transfers, yet still have allowances for losses due to Covid?! Surely the two should have been separated?

Then next season they will have £100m falling into their accounts from the Grealish sale anyway, which will balance the books.
However the accounts this year show they have spent 600m over 4 years and are still shiiiiiiii 7e

Back
Top Bottom