Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

JJ59

Reaction score
We've all had days in uncovered stands when the weather's broke, it's horrible. But that's life innit.

I've been drenched at Pompey, Gillingham and Swindon one boxing day. It sucks, I think I'm made of sterner stuff than to proclaim "never again" though.
I was soaked through at Spurs this month, as were many others. Their roof is so high. But we won so I left with a rosy Glow inside which still burns post Leicester.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We've all had days in uncovered stands when the weather's broke, it's horrible. But that's life innit.

I've been drenched at Pompey, Gillingham and Swindon one boxing day. It sucks, I think I'm made of sterner stuff than to proclaim "never again" though.
The only thing I would say is that, although I remember being absolutely drenched watching us lose 4-0 at Oxford on a particularly joyful day, it was a terrace. A seated stand in the driving rain is a new level of wet.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only thing I would say is that, although I remember being absolutely drenched watching us lose 4-0 at Oxford on a particularly joyful day, it was a terrace. A seated stand in the driving rain is a new level of wet.
I was at that game as well. Still reacall trudging back through the mud of the hospital grounds (this was the old Oxford ground for you youngsters) One of the lower points following Wolves, though there a few to choose from, particularly the early 80s.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at that game as well. Still reacall trudging back through the mud of the hospital grounds (this was the old Oxford ground for you youngsters) One of the lower points following Wolves, though there a few to choose from, particularly the early 80s.
Yup the Manor Ground was round the back of the John Radcliffe hospital. It, Elm Park Reading and the County Ground Swindon were a right set of dives.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me and my brother went there by train, thought it was 3-0 but probably just watched the alley behind and the police box blocking the view of a third of the pitch during the 4th. More interesting ground than their new one, hate the retail park grounds, and they're unsustainable with the price of petrol getting there on the edge of towns.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Villa can today announce plans for a North Stand Rebuild and increase of capacity to over 50k, we should get on with it and show what stadia in the West Midlands should look like and be!

Preliminary designs have been created to transform our iconic home at Villa Park including building a new North Stand, upgrading and expanding our hospitality facilities and creating an entirely new venue to bring our retail and merchandising activities, as well as other entertainment activities, into the 21st century. Capacity of the stadium would increase to over 50,000 upon completion of the first phase.

The plans would enable more Villa fans to enjoy a newly enhanced matchday experience as well as being a catalyst for change in our community and neighbourhood.

The Club will be embarking on a full public consultation with all stakeholders over the coming months to help shape the planning application and to ensure that the proposals fully acknowledge and incorporate the needs of the local community, the City and the wider West Midlands region.

We have appointed a full multidisciplinary design and engineering team to develop finalised designs and plans in time for a summer 2022 planning application.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Villa can today announce plans for a North Stand Rebuild and increase of capacity to over 50k, we should get on with it and show what stadia in the West Midlands should look like and be!

i went on sunday and the west ham stadium is dire. soulless and quiet. i agree the mol should be a bit bigger - maybe 40,000 but we mustnt lose the atmosphere.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of the old South Bank was uncovered. My favourite game was the win over Champions Arsenal, 5-1. The snow sleet and rain drenched us, but the excitement of that game will live with me for ever!
“ David, David Wagstaffe,David Wagstaffe on the wing!”
He was magic thou knows !!! ;)

I remember watching it on Match of the Day… probably the best performance given by that great late 60s/ early 70s side!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i went on sunday and the west ham stadium is dire. soulless and quiet. i agree the mol should be a bit bigger - maybe 40,000 but we mustnt lose the atmosphere.

That's to do with the shape of the stadium not the capacity though. You could easily build a close to the pitch, steep stands, modern stadium that could still fit 50k in and keep the atmosphere even if it was only 70% full.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's to do with the shape of the stadium not the capacity though. You could easily build a close to the pitch, steep stands, modern stadium that could still fit 50k in and keep the atmosphere even if it was only 70% full.
Exactly. It has the same issue as the old Wembley - it was designed to accommodate an athletics track. They’ve tried to compensate at West Ham with the removable seats behind the goals, but the stands end up really shallow and so those at the rear of those stands are miles from the pitch and the stadium struggles to hold the noise. Molineux will never be like that, no matter how big, if located where it is.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're not doing anything substantial to molineux, never were. Far too much to layout for very little benefit in additional revenue. If we want a 45k above stadium it's just not happening on that area.

Lick of paint and some temporary seats is all we're getting.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We're not doing anything substantial to molineux, never were. Far too much to layout for very little benefit in additional revenue. If we want a 45k above stadium it's just not happening on that area.

What about rebuilding the Stevie Bull stand

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know this is off topic, but it’s interesting that they’ve stated losses are “down to £37.3m from £99.5m in the previous year” with “The impact of the COVID 19 pandemic across both this reporting year and the previous financial year had an estimated cumulative effect totalling £56m in lost revenues and other costs.”

So basically they’d still have lost over £80m across the 2 years. Presumably why Grealish was “reluctantly” sold in the summer just gone, to kee within the 3 year FFP limit.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was magic thou knows !!! ;)

I remember watching it on Match of the Day… probably the best performance given by that great late 60s/ early 70s side!

Remember it as well Waggie.

I was at the Mol and remember Waggie blasting a 25 yarder past Bob Wilson.

Your namesake didn’t score many goals (created plenty for The Doog and JR though) but when he did they were all special.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Remember it as well Waggie.

I was at the Mol and remember Waggie blasting a 25 yarder past Bob Wilson.

Your namesake didn’t score many goals (created plenty for The Doog and JR though) but when he did they were all special.
I remember Bobby Gould scoring a fluke from about 35 yards on the touchline by the enclosure into the North Bank - who was that against?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about rebuilding the Stevie Bull stand
Won't add much more than 2-4k. The current number that stand holds is done by it being the tightest squeeze ever seen of people is one place, the concourse is a hazard waiting to happen, basically if you wanted to rebuild the stand maintaining the current capacity of the stand the stand would already need to be 10-15% bigger, to increase capacity it just doesn't work. Fosun know this imo

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won't add much more than 2-4k. The current number that stand holds is done by it being the tightest squeeze ever seen of people is one place, the concourse is a hazard waiting to happen, basically if you wanted to rebuild the stand maintaining the current capacity of the stand the stand would already need to be 10-15% bigger, to increase capacity it just doesn't work. Fosun know this imo
Interesting so even if we totally rebuilt the south bank and steve bull we couldn’t double what they currently hold? Hardly any point I’m with Fosun on that one. Waste of time and money

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score

From how it has panned out, Fosun are not going to spend tens of millions redeveloping Molineux, so agree, a lick of paint and another temp stand at most.
Liverpool are spending 60 million adding 7,000 seats to the Anfield Road End, so a new or reconfigured Steve Bull Stand costing even half that, isn't going to happen.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if China's reluctance to spend money in the west has anything to do with knowledge of the possibility of recent events?

Chelsea shelved their redevelopment plans too. I'm not saying Abramovic or Fosun were privvy to the sick intentions of Putin, but he may well warned Xi Jinping and the Oligarchs of possible troubles in the West?

A bit conspiracy theory, I know. Just thinking aloud.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting so even if we totally rebuilt the south bank and steve bull we couldn’t double what they currently hold? Hardly any point I’m with Fosun on that one. Waste of time and money
But you could double revenue streams through new, improved and much bigger hospitality facilities.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I wonder if China's reluctance to spend money in the west has anything to do with knowledge of the possibility of recent events?

Chelsea shelved their redevelopment plans too. I'm not saying Abramovic or Fosun were privvy to the sick intentions of Putin, but he may well warned Xi Jinping and the Oligarchs of possible troubles in the West?

A bit conspiracy theory, I know. Just thinking aloud.
Chinese companies have been told to pull out of football investments for years now.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
I remember Bobby Gould scoring a fluke from about 35 yards on the touchline by the enclosure into the North Bank - who was that against?
It was against Ipswich in an FA cup 4th round replay in 1976. It was the year we got knocked out by Man Utd in a Molineux replay, and of course we got relegated in the last game against Liverpool.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

It was against Ipswich in an FA cup 4th round replay in 1976. It was the year we got knocked out by Man Utd in a Molineux replay, and of course we got relegated in the last game against Liverpool.
Oh yeah thanks - didn’t we equalise in the last minute in the first game or something like that?

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
Oh yeah thanks - didn’t we equalise in the last minute in the first game or something like that?
Oh yeah thanks - didn’t we equalise in the last minute in the first game or something like that
The game at Portman Rd was0-0. The year after we played them again in the 4th round and it finished 2-2 in the first game. Both goals scored by Richards, and they equalised in the last minute. Richards scored the winner in the replay. We eventually got knocked out in quarter final by Leeds at Molineux.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves and the University of Wolverhampton have extended their partnership.

I'm sure this is a good sign, knowing how big the Uni is becoming and the ever-deepening role, that UOW is having on the city.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves and the University of Wolverhampton have extended their partnership.

I'm sure this is a good sign, knowing how big the Uni is becoming and the ever-deepening role, that UOW is having on the city.

Can they give us our Feathers back then please?

I know this is fantasy football territory but I'd love to see, as part of a (equally fantastical at the moment) rebuild of the Steve Bull, this become the centrepiece of a 'fanzone'. The road next to it could be shifted to give a large area with a view of the new stand, with the trees there and Edwardian pub giving the area a nice feel with covered and heated bits.

It was bad enough losing the Wanderer/Fox but to lose both was negligent. I know pubs there were never going to do great weekday trade but I look at Villa with envy given what they did with the Holte.

RIP pubs by Molineux (the Hatherton is a pale imitation of the pub of the 90s); but here's a nice photo circa 1970-80? @reanswolf
1705e9aa7f094fc28e1a03aecca2b83e--wolverhampton-pub.jpg

Last edited:

top fox wolf

Reaction score
Can they give us our Feathers back then please?

I know this is fantasy football territory but I'd love to see, as part of a (equally fantastical at the moment) rebuild of the Steve Bull, this become the centrepiece of a 'fanzone'. The road next to it could be shifted to give a large area with a view of the new stand, with the trees there and Edwardian pub giving the area a nice feel with covered and heated bits.

It was bad enough losing the Wanderer/Fox but to lose both was negligent. I know pubs there were never going to do great weekday trade but I look at Villa with envy given what they did with the Holte.

RIP pubs by Molineux (the Hatherton is a pale imitation of the pub of the 90s), here's a nice photo circa 1970? @reanswolf
View attachment 27108
Yes that is the one and only FOX INN my dad's pub and where I was born also the wall of the subway where I learnt to control and head a football my dad's customers would come outside the pub and play football with me thay used to cross the ball and I would head it against the subway wall .Great days the fox was a proper wolves pub my dad always said that one day the wolves would own the land would have thought wolves would have had there own pub on the site but the area is alive on match day as I come out the subway I always look over towards where the fox was and say hi to mom and dad really happy days I know there are a few mixers on here who still remember the fox with good memories does any one remember the parrot dad had in the bar and what his name was ......a pint to the first one to remember.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Yes that is the one and only FOX INN my dad's pub and where I was born also the wall of the subway where I learnt to control and head a football my dad's customers would come outside the pub and play football with me thay used to cross the ball and I would head it against the subway wall .Great days the fox was a proper wolves pub my dad always said that one day the wolves would own the land would have thought wolves would have had there own pub on the site but the area is alive on match day as I come out the subway I always look over towards where the fox was and say hi to mom and dad really happy days I know there are a few mixers on here who still remember the fox with good memories does any one remember the parrot dad had in the bar and what his name was ......a pint to the first one to remember.
Waggy…
I cheated though…. Searched previous posts by top fox wolf that included the word parrot.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved the Fox as a teenager, great meomorie Bill.

top fox wolf

Reaction score
Waggy…
I cheated though…. Searched previous posts by top fox wolf that included the word parrot.
Yes belle your correct don't matter how you got it you have a pint coming your way my friend yes he was called waggy after our great dave wagstaff god what would he be worth today just tell me where you drink and the pint is yours my friend.

Back
Top Bottom