Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fosun out?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Just wish they'd get on with selling tbh.

They were the perfect owners which makes it all the more galling.

I really miss the positivity of the first 2 seasons back at this level,but it's gone now.
Who to?

Rugrats

Reaction score
So you think Wolves should perpetually operate at a loss?

Investment can be made from within. External money is not the only way to invest.
By not investing, losses are just around the corner, you can apply that to any industry. Speculate to accumulate.

It does make me chuckle when people defend the transfer window disasters as though its their money

Rugrats

Reaction score
Perhaps when you’ve accumulated a few tens of billions building your own investment company you can tell Guo how to run Wolves. In the meantime, I think I’ll trust their judgement over yours. ;)
cool - keep checking that 'goals for' column.

Comparing equities to football is a tad odd

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By not investing, losses are just around the corner, you can apply that to any industry. Speculate to accumulate.

It does make me chuckle when people defend the transfer window disasters as though its their money

By investing unwisely pursuing a goal can also be disastrous - ask Leeds
There is a balance required.

I too was disappointed with the transfer window but even then they spent the best part of 20m on Chiquinho and Hwang Hee Chan which is hardly Jeff Bonser level investment. We are in a position, at the moment, to finish in a better league place than at anytime since Fosun took over so surely we are still showing progression which they will deem a vindication of their approach.

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As frustrating as some may be, it's worth looking at the league table this morning and maybe, just maybe, Fosun know what they are doing and simply do not want to waste money on buying players that are not the right fit or are no better than what we already have.

To be fair, there are plenty of teams around us and below us who have spent millions but it's not really got them anywhere.

Aside from Man City and Liverpool, there's not much to choose between everyone else which goes to prove that spending millions does not guarantee success.

We need to be patient and trust Fosun to invest when they see fit to.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We are not alone in this quandry of competing with the traditional clubs that ring fence as much money and talent as they can.

If you want exciting then look no further than Villa if you are looking for big name signings, they have regularly been spending 25m+ on players and haven't achieved much improvement, indeed a Villa supporting mate of mine said the Newcastle game yesterday was the worst he had seen them play even under Smith.

Villa have spent over £350 million on transfers since winning promotion from the Championship under former manager Dean Smith as their ambitious owners attempt to climb up the football ladder. However, Financial Fair Play regulations will limit the level of investment that is allowed to be pumped into the playing staff, with Villa posting a whopping £99.2m loss in 2020/21.

Therefore, Gerrard’s charges must maximise their incomings in order to continue spending lavishly and stay within the rules. The

One way in which the Midlands side could offset their expenditures is to sell one of their best players each year.

I suppose I am saying they key is spending well / wisely - not how much.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun aren't piling money in but they invested heavily in youth. We have an amazing bunch of young players around the club. That's the way we're doing things.

They aren't beyond criticism but they've been highly beneficial owners.

The whole speculate to accumulate meme is thrown about but those people mean gambling. What's needed is good management and we're seeing plenty of that. We're in a vastly better position than most clubs.

That said, yes we do need to bring in a couple if first teamers in the summer.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
cool - keep checking that 'goals for' column.

Comparing equities to football is a tad odd
Would you prefer we follow the Everton model? A club of a similar size to us but who have spent longer in the PL so have greater FFP latitude to spend. They have blown half a billion without achieving anything and struggling to stay in the league? Or how about Newcastle with even richer owners and who consider it an achievement if they stay up this season. Or how about Spurs. One of the so called big six with one of the best strike partnerships in the league who couldn’t score against us, and who we battered yesterday?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It makes me laugh that fans believe Fosun should be willing to make the kind of losses that are acceptable under FFP. It's completely unsustainable and could destroy the club.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Easy to speculate to accumulate with someone elses money and no it isn't our money, Wolves fans really give a fairly small percentage of the clubs revenue. Most of our money comes from fans of the big 6 buying Tv subs. Fosun should have got a CM in, in January - but i have no problem with financial prudence.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We are not alone in this quandry of competing with the traditional clubs that ring fence as much money and talent as they can.

If you want exciting then look no further than Villa if you are looking for big name signings, they have regularly been spending 25m+ on players and haven't achieved much improvement, indeed a Villa supporting mate of mine said the Newcastle game yesterday was the worst he had seen them play even under Smith.

Villa have spent over £350 million on transfers since winning promotion from the Championship under former manager Dean Smith as their ambitious owners attempt to climb up the football ladder. However, Financial Fair Play regulations will limit the level of investment that is allowed to be pumped into the playing staff, with Villa posting a whopping £99.2m loss in 2020/21.

Therefore, Gerrard’s charges must maximise their incomings in order to continue spending lavishly and stay within the rules. The

One way in which the Midlands side could offset their expenditures is to sell one of their best players each year.

I suppose I am saying they key is spending well / wisely - not how much.
If you cast your mind back to the large expenditure Fosun made in the Championship, EFL rules meant we'd probably have had to sell Neves if we weren't promoted.

There's nothing wrong with doing that, and shows good management in itself that by selling you can.put yourself on an even keel again.

As others have mentioned though, our biggest barrier is wages, not transfer fees.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
West Ham fans moaning on 606 last night about not spending in Jan.

Fans of championship clubs at work today moaning about they current state of affairs of what is going on down there.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If you cast your mind back to the large expenditure Fosun made in the Championship, EFL rules meant we'd probably have had to sell Neves if we weren't promoted.

There's nothing wrong with doing that, and shows good management in itself that by selling you can.put yourself on an even keel again.

As others have mentioned though, our biggest barrier is wages, not transfer fees.
Yeah we did basically financially dope our way out of the Championship, little bit one eyed to then complain about other teams doing it in Prem

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We got lucky though subsidised wages and great value signings who we would have only made a profit on.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I believe a huge chunk of our wage bill getting promoted was massive promotion bonuses for key players. I think EFL may have even closed a loophole on it afterwards but could be wrong

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would like to know their ambitions as its not clear TBH

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really.

The performances / wins on the pitch are to do with Bruno. He’s working miracles without any support from the board .

Really need to put an end to that myth. He, the players, and the entire set up is down to the board. What he doesn't have is a benefactor prepared to throw money at transfers.

Honestly, you'd think one look around us would show that teams such as ourselves, brighton and southampton are doing it right.

Everton are a right mess, west ham are either near the top or near the bottom, with mixed success over transfers and dodgy owners, villa have thrown money mostly at players without so much resale value and look awful...

Meanwhile we're one of the 3 or so teams run with sustainable strategies. I said earlier that it's not perfect but southampton have been murdered in some games while brighton fans have had a real go at their team this season.

Truth is that fans are almost never happy.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if they released an official statement outlining that moving forward the club must be self sustaining, and they've no plans to break the top four by bankrolling the club?

Sounds great to sponsors and would be signings.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really.

The performances / wins on the pitch are to do with Bruno. He’s working miracles without any support from the board .
Who brought Bruno in? Who bought the players he is managing? Who recruited and supported the youngsters starting to come through from the academy? Who modernised our medical team, twice? FFS I can't decide if you are trolling or deluded.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't go down too well with the paying masses either, especially when they're being asked to pay more for the product.

This is the best Wolves have been in my lifetime. It's not about lack of ambition, it's about how we do things. Plain as day Fosun aren't going to throw money at players but have an approach based on youth and sustainability. The original project appears to be dead and for reasons that we can only guess at. However, part of the long term plan always seemed to be youth and sustainability so we just cut out the throw money at it for longer part.

We have people on here having a pop at other clubs' fans but some of ours are every bit as bad. Almost every club in the country would rather be wolves but it's still not good enough apparently. Unless we find a crazy billionaire who can also run the club well (two unlikely things) then this is as good as it's going to get. If you don't like it then you're going to continue to be disappointed and that's silly. Enjoy it!

Besides, as someone who knows a crazy billionaire or three, you really don't want to go there. You don't become a billionaire without being nuts, corrupt, or unethical. Fosun have their own ethics issues but they do know how to run a football business.

Fosun are not perfect but they make our previous owners look like the rank amateurs they were, however well meaning and however much money (relative terms) they put in.

Where there is an issue is re: ground - that's disappointing and uncommunicative.

Wolves 2021/22 have not always been exciting but on the whole we have very little to complain about. EDIT: Except doncks and trincao because being a football fan without complaining feels wrong.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the best Wolves have been in my lifetime. It's not about lack of ambition, it's about how we do things. Plain as day Fosun aren't going to throw money at players but have an approach based on youth and sustainability. The original project appears to be dead and for reasons that we can only guess at. However, part of the long term plan always seemed to be youth and sustainability so we just cut out the throw money at it for longer part.

We have people on here having a pop at other clubs' fans but some of ours are every bit as bad. Almost every club in the country would rather be wolves but it's still not good enough apparently. Unless we find a crazy billionaire who can also run the club well (two unlikely things) then this is as good as it's going to get. If you don't like it then you're going to continue to be disappointed and that's silly. Enjoy it!

Besides, as someone who knows a crazy billionaire or three, you really don't want to go there. You don't become a billionaire without being nuts, corrupt, or unethical. Fosun have their own ethics issues but they do know how to run a football business.

Fosun are not perfect but they make our previous owners look like the rank amateurs they were, however well meaning and however much money (relative terms) they put in.

Where there is an issue is re: ground - that's disappointing and uncommunicative.

Wolves 2021/22 have not always been exciting but on the whole we have very little to complain about. EDIT: Except doncks and trincao because being a football fan without complaining feels wrong.
100% agreed on the ground and on most, if not all, of the rest of your reply my friend...and with regards to other clubs, I for one couldn't give a monkeys, Wolves are my love and my concern.... football-wise anyway...best get that in on Valentine's day! Lol

R

reanswolf

Would you prefer we follow the Everton model? A club of a similar size to us but who have spent longer in the PL so have greater FFP latitude to spend. They have blown half a billion without achieving anything and struggling to stay in the league? Or how about Newcastle with even richer owners and who consider it an achievement if they stay up this season. Or how about Spurs. One of the so called big six with one of the best strike partnerships in the league who couldn’t score against us, and who we battered yesterday?
Everton are bigger club than Wolves.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really.

The miracles you refer to are directly tied to Jeff bringing in Sa……not so much to Bruno.
Its Sa who has saved our necks time after time this season……without him I think we’d be in the lower half of the league.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Good post!
Please repost this on the start of the next transfer window.

Back
Top Bottom