Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I
Fantastic pics. Always found it slightly odd that the old Waterloo Rd stand never had a proper tunnel like just about every other stand in the country. Never got the chance to go in the old Molineux street.
It's is strange isn't it. Wonder if Archibald-Leitch built any other stands like that.

What is the portacabin on bricks on the enclosure?

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
The 1977 photos are about the time of my earliest Wolves memories. The ground was a dump, but it was our dump. Lump in my throat time.
The photos are 1978-79, as you can see the cranes constructing the new stand. The old stand was demolished in summer 79 with the new one opening at the start of 79-80. The portacabin in the enclosure was added after that side of the ground was closed. I think it was used by St Johns ambulance staff.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fantastic pics. Always found it slightly odd that the old Waterloo Rd stand never had a proper tunnel like just about every other stand in the country. Never got the chance to go in the old Molineux street.
I assume that funny little yellow door in the pictures above is the one in the corner of the Waterloo Rd stand where the players came onto the pitch adjacent to the North Bank? Members of London Wolves came through that door before going on to the North Bank. Old Gold is so, so right - Molineux then was a right dump but it was our dump. Old gold and proud.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant pics.

My first game was 85 so never got to go in the old North Bank, Waterloo Rd or Molineux St stand. I was mascot in 89 so got to see the inside of the Waterloo rd then, however I would give anything to be transported back to around 78 so could walk round all the stands. The ground as it appears in these pics just totally intrigued me.

Other than when Sir Jack first rebuilt the stadium, I would suggest the era when it looks like this is the most ‘Molineux’ it’s ever been.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant pics.

My first game was 85 so never got to go in the old North Bank, Waterloo Rd or Molineux St stand. I was mascot in 89 so got to see the inside of the Waterloo rd then, however I would give anything to be transported back to around 78 so could walk round all the stands. The ground as it appears in these pics just totally intrigued me.

Other than when Sir Jack first rebuilt the stadium, I would suggest the era when it looks like this is the most ‘Molineux’ it’s ever been.
Same for me too sedgwolf. My first game was Jan 1982, and used to sit with my late uncle in the ‘New Stand’, or occasionally stand with my late Dad in the Waterloo enclosure when his farming commitments allowed him to come along occasionally, Although I was lucky enough to vaguely remember the inside of the enclosure, my big regret is never seeing those glorious gables of the Molineux Street stand, and never standing in the North Bank. If I could turn back time, that would be the first thing I would do.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never the wanderer to me always will.be THE FOX INN ...AKA.....THE TOP FOX my dad's pub for over 40 years Bill.turley .

I was always in there mate.Remember ya mom and dad as though it was yesterday,I was always in the little lounge though.That would have bin late 60s early 70s.Those were the days my friends.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the Waterloo Road got torched.

Did they ever discover who was responsible?

At the time I suspected supporters of Middlesbrough promotion rivals trying to get the game postponed.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To the right of the players door towards the North Bank is a fenced off raised area which was the ‘disabled enclosure’, just before the white announcers raised cabin. It has just evoked a memory of a crowded night game when I was stood in front of this and there was obviously a couple of blind fans using it as one of the others fans/friends gave a full running commentary of the game for them, thinking back that was a pretty neat thing to happen.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant pics.

Some great, memory jerking photos of the old ground.
In the mid 70's we used to spend some days of our school summer holidays hanging around the old Molineux autograph hunting or following the players down to the racecourse for training. Sometimes, we used to be able to get in the ground and we would have the run of the place exploring underneath the stands, even helped the groundsman (Mr Pilbeam. never forget a name like that) cut the grass and sweep the gravel surrounds. We even spent a day in the South Bank loosening a few screws and barbed wire so we had an access to free entry for when the season started.
At the back of the enclosure terrace was a long wooden frame/stool to allow those at the back to get a foot or so of elevation to see the game. There was a distinct smell to the old Molineux - bovril, program print, hotdogs and the worst Banks's farts imaginable - I'm sure some blokes used to follow through .

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
The old Stan Cullis was so much better that the new one. Morgan wrecked the look of our stadium with his half baked idea. Such an eyesore on its own.
We can only elaborate whether he would had continued with Steve Bull stand, IF we had avoided relegation when the Stan Cullis was finished?
Probably not, as it wouldi have been much more expensive and complicated to finalise it.
The financial burden would also have been huge...

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My first visit to Molineux was on 19 January 1963 to see Wolves v Sheffield United in the ice and snow of a terrible winter. I had been a fan since 1956 and to finally be in the ground was an amazing and exciting experience. There at last with the multi gabled stand that had been the backdrop to so many newspaper action photographs. The attendance was only 10,484, but that didn't matter - i was finally there! :D

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its actually criminal, and really sad to be honest, just how much better the stadium looked with the old Stan Cullis. Doesnt really get mentioned, but its a frankly disgraceful what Morgan did to the stadium.
I know it would have affected capacity more but they should have just rebuilt the Steve Bull stand like Stamford Bridges West Stand or Elland Roads East Stand

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some great, memory jerking photos of the old ground.
In the mid 70's we used to spend some days of our school summer holidays hanging around the old Molineux autograph hunting or following the players down to the racecourse for training. Sometimes, we used to be able to get in the ground and we would have the run of the place exploring underneath the stands, even helped the groundsman (Mr Pilbeam. never forget a name like that) cut the grass and sweep the gravel surrounds. We even spent a day in the South Bank loosening a few screws and barbed wire so we had an access to free entry for when the season started.
At the back of the enclosure terrace was a long wooden frame/stool to allow those at the back to get a foot or so of elevation to see the game. There was a distinct smell to the old Molineux - bovril, program print, hotdogs and the worst Banks's farts imaginable - I'm sure some blokes used to follow through .
Brilliant that last bit made me laugh as well

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved the old North Bank, didn't understand why they didn't do the roof supports the same on the south bank

View attachment 26446View attachment 26447
I had my first season ticket in there in N3, loved it, especially with the terrace bar at half time.

Completely destroyed the look of Molineux the new stand has.

I don't buy into the 'we couldn't do the Steve Bull because of the sub station.

The first thing they did after demolishing the Stan Cullis was build a sub station on the car park......

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had my first season ticket in there in N3, loved it, especially with the terrace bar at half time.

Completely destroyed the look of Molineux the new stand has.

I don't buy into the 'we couldn't do the Steve Bull because of the sub station.

The first thing they did after demolishing the Stan Cullis was build a sub station on the car park......
But surely that’s the point? They had to demolish the North Bank to be able to relocate the sub station ready for the rest of the development.

I think it’s short sighted everyone saying that it has ruined the look of the stadium. If they hadn’t given up on the vision then it would have looked far better.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But surely that’s the point? They had to demolish the North Bank to be able to relocate the sub station ready for the rest of the development.

I think it’s short sighted everyone saying that it has ruined the look of the stadium. If they hadn’t given up on the vision then it would have looked far better.
Have you seen where it is located on the north bank car park?

It could have easily been built before any demolition work.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’re a cheaper solution to support the roof compared to cantilever supports. We could have done it on all four stands, but why would you if you ever wanted to fill in the corners?

I believe SJH was quoted as saying that the old North Bank was designed to allow it to be expanded. Remove the roof and the supporting steelwork on the sides, and then extend backwards and upwards with a new roof to finish - similar to work at Anfield. The roof they built presumably required less structure and foundations at the rear than a cantilever would have, so less waste if/when the stand were to be expanded. There was certainly plenty of space behind the stand to allow an upper/extended tier to be built, and that could have incorporated a new cantilever roof if needed.

Logically the right sequence would have been to demolish and replace the Steve Bull. Such a structure could have been as tall as the current North Bank. Then rather than replace, extend the North Bank backwards and upwards to match, filling in the corner at the same time. Then extend the South Bank more or less as Morgan planned including the second corner. Finally replace BW and fill in the remaining two corners if/when needed.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I believe SJH was quoted as saying that the old North Bank was designed to allow it to be expanded. Remove the roof and the supporting steelwork on the sides, and then extend backwards and upwards with a new roof to finish - similar to work at Anfield. The roof they built presumably required less structure and foundations at the rear than a cantilever would have, so less waste if/when the stand were to be expanded. There was certainly plenty of space behind the stand to allow an upper/extended tier to be built, and that could have incorporated a new cantilever roof if needed.

Logically the right sequence would have been to demolish and replace the Steve Bull. Such a structure could have been as tall as the current North Bank. Then rather than replace, extend the North Bank backwards and upwards to match, filling in the corner at the same time. Then extend the South Bank more or less as Morgan planned including the second corner. Finally replace BW and fill in the remaining two corners if/when needed.
Fair play to sir Jack at least he carried out his vision. I went to the honved reopening when I was a kid and the stadium just blew me away.
I remember seeing the Billy Wright being constructed and it just seemed so massive.

Back
Top Bottom