Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Chelsea verdict

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most would have had this down to a loss .........Yes Chelsea were depleted , but so were we . To have payed top 3 in last four games and only conceding two goals (albeit those two goals were the difference ) on face of it looks pretty admirable ......if only we could find a better balance between stonewall defence and more attacking intent , with a coupel of players returning soon and addittion of some quality in midlfield , this team could do something ....

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half we were very good, looked to play with energy and a good tempo and should have gone in ahead at half time (possibly against 10 men too).
Second half I think Chelsea upped their game and started to dominate the ball… the second that happened we went into our defensive shell and simply didn’t come out of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate us defending against the best sides (managers make idiots of themselves after the game by moaning that we didn’t leave them spaces) but that version of Chelsea was very, very beatable and it feels a lot like a missed opportunity in that we didn’t really go for the win 2nd half.

Anyway, let’s get back on it for Watford.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some shocking verdict posts complaining about that? Against a team like Chelsea, who despite their covid woes, still played a CL starting 11 and used CL level subs, we took a well deserved point and clean sheet. How many teams have kept a clean sheet against Chelsea this year? If we’d won it wouldn’t have been an unfair result, but over the 90 mins I thought it a fair result. Defence brilliant. Forwards good first half, entirely missing second.

The same Chelsea who we’ve beaten recently?

The same Man City who we did the double over when we had the balls to play football?

I’d rather watch us lose and have a go. I nearly fell asleep second half.

Grow a pair and set up to win the game instead of grinding out turgid performance after turgid performance.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can contain teams well but lack creativity Raul & Dendoncker well off it today. We are missing 3/4 players it’s obvious.

We didn’t really look like scoring for our efforts was a good hard earned point though

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you say Bruno was cowardly, I think he was smart.
I understand that position/outlook. But Chelsea, decimated by injuries and covid were there to be attacked. And for someone who is supposedly wanting to play an adventurous and attacking brand of football, I feel he went too safe. Dendoncker was largely ineffective anyway, so why not play with a 3 up top against a depleted Chelsea team - especially when expecting a loss under normal circumstances.
The team is not entertaining atm and we are desperate for goals, but the coach sets up to contain and break rather than play the game he wants.
I guess there will be differences of opinion on this, but I feel that it was an opportunity missed, and when he could see us losing control, didn’t respond anywhere near quickly enough. I know we don’t have Kovacic et al to call upon, but you need to give our subs enough time and opportunity to affect the game.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Infinitely better than the Liverpool and City performances. We were the better team today, despite being ultimately toothless.
1st half yes, when they took the CB they had in midfield off they controlled the game and we had 11 players in box for entire 48 mins. Needed a change earlier but he will stick instead of twisting. Which i do understand.

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it is simple.

Yes we could have taken all 3 points and yes we could be better going forward. If you'd have offered me a point before the game i'd have snapped your hand off. We lost to Citeh and Liverpool and could have won both of those games and would have loved a point against each of them and today the thought of a last 10 minute 1-0 loss was there for us all to fear BUT....

We held the European champions to a goal less draw on a foggy afternoon in December. We all want a win but I would rather not lose to a good team like Chelsea than suffer a gut wrenching defeat by over committing forwards. Hopefully we get some power up top in January so lets try and be positive and go into xmas with another point on the board. I'm gutted I couldn't go. Had to sell some games back to the club off my ST as i'm in hospital on xmas eve for a shoulder operation so lets enjoy it.

WAW
It’s one of those games that will divide opinion. I don’t think we could have beaten City and Liverpool based on how the games went but today we definitely had a chance.

Good luck with the operation, hope it doesn’t ruin your Christmas.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Challenging for top 8 with no investment, constant injury list and virtually all the players from his predecessor.

All hail Bruno Simeone!
This
4 points from Liverpool, City, Brighton and Chelsea with a goal difference of just -1, exceeds my wildest expectations, well done lads.
This
As usual, I’m with all the positive posts, not the miserable ones. All this Jeff you’ve let us down stuff is just embarrassing.
Its only the start of Christmas, and we don’t want to hear the bells’ end.
And this.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite pleased overall. Second half Chelsea really stepped it up, as expected. No poor performances really. Hoever did very well and did try and get forward when the opportunity presented itself. Everybody seemed to think Traore was the answer but today showed that it isn't that simple when you are playing a very very good side. Not sure why people are getting worked up about our attacking play at this point, we are all fully aware we are not good going forward.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do continue to set up like that against the more dangerous sides then we need to get an athletic midfielder and some pace up front for us to have any chance of scoring and winning.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It must be so frustrating for our forward players who play well and next game find themselves on the bench for the following fixture. It’s near impossible for them to build momentum as they rarely play consecutive games. No doubt podence will be benched next game

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand that position/outlook. But Chelsea, decimated by injuries and covid were there to be attacked. And for someone who is supposedly wanting to play an adventurous and attacking brand of football, I feel he went too safe. Dendoncker was largely ineffective anyway, so why not play with a 3 up top against a depleted Chelsea team - especially when expecting a loss under normal circumstances.
The team is not entertaining atm and we are desperate for goals, but the coach sets up to contain and break rather than play the game he wants.
I guess there will be differences of opinion on this, but I feel that it was an opportunity missed, and when he could see us losing control, didn’t respond anywhere near quickly enough. I know we don’t have Kovacic et al to call upon, but you need to give our subs enough time and opportunity to affect the game.

You're right, Jordao and Cundle are going to influence the game as much as Saul and Kovacic

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A decent point, but a depleted Chelsea were there to be beaten today. First half we were by far the better team. The real Wolves emerged in the second half and the staid, boring football was back. Whether that was because Tuchel had given his team an earful at HT. Whether it was that Chelsea reorganised their midfield or whether Wolves went into their collective shells, I'm not sure. Probably a bit of everything.
Thought the back three had good matches with Coady being the stand-out for two or three crucial blocks. But what I wouldn't give to have some players with a bit more imagination and ambition in midfield and attack.

T

TheConcourse

It’s basically 3 CB’s and 3 DM’s with one kid at WB and one that can barely cross the halfway line.

It’s glaringly obvious that Bruno is playing to get to safety before he switches things up, but it is desperately needed. Desperately.

Chelsea were there for the taking today. Not as weak as being portrayed, but mentally it felt like they were feeling sorry for themselves.

Their starting 11 is a top four side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right, Jordao and Cundle are going to influence the game as much as Saul and Kovacic
They would influence the game a lot more than dendoncker .

If we play 352 , one of the 3 midfielders HAS to take responsibility for going forward and driving with the ball.

Moutinho did it ONCE and we had a goal disallowed . It really isn’t that hard .

Jordao and cundle would offer so much more than dendoncker

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i 100% agree. chelsea are the european champions and until 2 weeks ago were top of the league. we have played really well against them, city and liverpool. everyone else is getting thrashed. city scored 11 goals since tuesday for example but could only manage a dodgy pen against us. the moaning and groaning on here gets me down. we are 8th. a position we could only have dreamt of most seasons since 1980 and yet in some peoples eyes we only have **** players and have been let down by our owners. if sunderland, bolton, derby, forest, ipswich, sheff weds fans or even baggies fans read this bile on here they would think we were the most entitled, deluded bunch on the planet
Bang on!
We‘re in 8th. place BECAUSE of Fosun, Jeff and the players they brought in over several transfer windows.
God forbid we’d give some credit and gratitude where it’s due.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Sa - 8
Great save and commands area superbly. Up there for player of the season.

Hoever 6
Did ok, sloppy on the ball too often and basically played as a 5th CB. Only got beat a few times. Can't complain but he is clearly miles behind Semedo. Decent run down touchline but poor cross.

Kilman 7
Did fine but wasn't asked to do much. Nice carry in first half. That cross attempt shows his right foot is nothing to write home about

Coady 8
Really good, he's been excellent this season. Blocks, interceptions and solid passing despite wing backs giving him very few options

Saiss 7
Excellent defending as usual but sloppy passing put us under pressure at times.

Marcal 6
Started really well and nice cross for the "goal". 2nd half made some poor defensive decisions but did ok by and large as 5th CB in 2nd half.

Neves 7
Very good first half, was like Neves last year though. Tackles, blocks and sideways passing. Not always his fault as attackers static (in particular Raul). But his short passing game is not good enough to go through the lines

Moutinho 7
Same as Ruben.

Donk 6
When he got into box he gets on the end of a half chance. Covered Hoever very well. Contributes nothing progressing the ball.

Raul 5
Started pretty well but was awful 2nd half. Not even working hard anymore, he just must stand in the box (preferably not offside though) . Thiago absolutely bossed him, no shame in that but shows he isn't a top, top level forward.

Podence 6
Created biggest chance of first half and actually finds space between lines.

Trincao & Traore N/A

We didn't even try to get on the ball much less pass it to them so neither can be rated.

Very boring but good point. Get to Jan and pray Jeff gets us a CM and forward to challenge Raul.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s a good result but maybe we could have knicked if he played traore all second half, bit boring I know but it’s sensible really, although we don’t like it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The same Man City who we did the double over when we had the balls to play football?

Grow a pair and set up to win the game instead of grinding out turgid performance after turgid performance.
Ok, provided you don’t complain if we drop down to 14th.
At this point, we can’t have it both ways.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don’t be daft. Different seasons, managers and squads.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Meh. I'm all about results! Agree it's dull right now though....we need another 3-2!

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just shows how far we have come in the last 6 years, by moaning about a draw against Chelsea.
It’s not the draw it’s the performances and approaches. No one will deny a point against Chelsea is valued, even a depleted side they put out today. However we are just so boring it’s borderline painful. Football is/was all about entertainment and despite our decent season points wise I am far from entertained.

Reactions: Ian

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The positives- it’s another point and clean sheet. I’ve got to pay tribute to the players as well though because Liverpool Man City and today they’ve worked so hard. Denied any returns late against Liverpool and a disgraceful decision at Man City so I think we need to recognise they’ve worked really hard.
Negatives- I just don’t know how we’re going to score goals? If we were more adventurous going forward would we be exposed at the back and leak goals?
25 points at Xmas is not to be sniffed at so I’m relatively happy but please Jeff get us a few players in the window so we can kick on a bit.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m going to get absolute pelters for this but…

Do we need to be looking at signing a striker in January and make Raul fight for his place?
100%
I said the other day on recent performances Raul shouldn’t just walk back in to the team but due to our lack of option he will. Nobody should be guaranteed a start

Back
Top Bottom