Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Palace verdict

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really concerns me how terrified we seem as a team in away games. I dread to think what will happen when we go to Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. Will it be eleven men just sat on our penalty area whilst these sides batter us? After looking at our last two away games against sides we should not be fearing then I worry what will happen when we play some of the top sides away.

Bruno needs to sort this and fast as this run we have had will have all but disappeared in a few weeks if he isnt careful with his tactics and team selections and we will be looking over our shoulders.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s almost like they’ve been bigged up as having a good atmosphere when they’ve not, so their fans feel obliged to do something to make noise.
This is nail on head for me. They’re making the noise because they feel they have to, not as a product of what’s happening on the pitch.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, we seem to have gone back to being inflexible again, same formation, only forced changes each match. Unlikely we'd have done any worse with 4-2-3-1 than we actually did and as you say, would have given them something they were unprepared for.

For some perspective, Palace have lost only 2 matches this season. And they were to Chelsea and Man City - the top two. Winning there was always a tall order and it's no disgrace to lose.
Liverpool and Chelsea actually, they beat Man City,but yes they havent lost at home, and been playing really well without getting the wins they probably deserved
Its no disaster losing to them down there,but our performance,along with many recently ,was poor and thats the worry

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, we seem to have gone back to being inflexible again, same formation, only forced changes each match. Unlikely we'd have done any worse with 4-2-3-1 than we actually did and as you say, would have given them something they were unprepared for.

For some perspective, Palace have lost only 2 matches this season. And they were to Chelsea and Man City - the top two. Winning there was always a tall order and it's no disgrace to lose.
Absolutely agree.

I thought Palace would.be really poor this season but I didn't realise how good Gallagher is.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cant see the issue with Mouts tbh. Like i said, you dont have to play him every game, or even start him for him to have an effect. He isnt finished as a player, he just cant be one who starts every game anymore.

As for Coady, he isnt a center half. After all this time i dont know why people think he is. He is a sweeper in a back 3. He shouldnt be there to man mark players.
Sweeper or centre-back, we're accommodating him to the detriment of the team, in my very humble opinion sir.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does Coady keep turning his back on the ball? He was on the goal line for the first goal , hence zaha was onside
School boy errors.
Coady can't play in a back four cos he doesn't want to mark anyone.
Semedo should have stayed on, Coady off. Ps get boly back in defence

top fox wolf

Reaction score
Absolutely agree.

I thought Palace would.be really poor this season but I didn't realise how good Gallagher is.
O K GUYS I'M BACK what's all this negative on the mix .don't for get we have a new manager with a new style of play which the players have to get there heads around hell get a couple of his own players in January ones an attacking midfielder other one a centre half look at the table guys where doing o k think Bruno will turn out a good un .and from my sorce forsen have big plans for Molineux we ant going anywhere the new Molineux will be constructed around the old one like Liverpool are doing that's why northing being done anymore I e gratham h s .and not putting any more.standing rails in .not going to throw good money after bad .forsen are very aware of the fans waiting list which is getting bigger every week so my friends exciting times ahead good to be back .had a very hard 15 month's since I lost my wife to cancer but have found a new partner who's turned my life around with my late wife's blessing she told me 6 weeks before she passed to find a lady to look after me when she passed

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
O K GUYS I'M BACK what's all this negative on the mix .don't for get we have a new manager with a new style of play which the players have to get there heads around hell get a couple of his own players in January ones an attacking midfielder other one a centre half look at the table guys where doing o k think Bruno will turn out a good un .and from my sorce forsen have big plans for Molineux we ant going anywhere the new Molineux will be constructed around the old one like Liverpool are doing that's why northing being done anymore I e gratham h s .and not putting any more.standing rails in .not going to throw good money after bad .forsen are very aware of the fans waiting list which is getting bigger every week so my friends exciting times ahead good to be back .had a very hard 15 month's since I lost my wife to cancer but have found a new partner who's turned my life around with my late wife's blessing she told me 6 weeks before she passed to find a lady to look after me when she passed
Glad you’re ok @top fox wolf! Agree with you it’s important we don’t get too carried away when we lose (or win tbf) let’s back the boys to bounce back. Keep the faith x

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Welcome back

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the cold light of day, now emotionally calm, what can we say about yesterday ?
1. Our defence starts matches sitting far too deep. Once we were 2 down and the defence moved 20 metres up the pitch we actually had some control in midfield which had been missing for the previous hour.
2. Ironic that Zaha scored the first goal as both RAN and Kilman had him in their pockets.
3. We struggle to play out against a high press. Partly this is lack of numbers in midfield, but also the inability of our front men to hold the ball up. We saw it at Leeds, we saw it in the 2nd half v Everton and we saw it again yesterday. We need to switch to a back 4.
4. From 3 above - we won't be switching to a back 4 until Bruno has his own men in place. He is trying to instill a more attacking mindset into a group of players who have played Nuno's system of controlled football for so long they are struggling to change.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Welcome back! All power to you for your last 15 months and hope everything is on the up and up now.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Had to watch the game before any comment.
Bad points first.
Shambolic defence.
Ineffectual outmuscled midfield.
No attack.
Good points.
Er? It didn’t rain.
Sorry Bruno but you may be a pretty good coach but once that startwhistle has blown you have no bloody idea.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve just remembered that a few Palace fans sat behind me were absolutely shocked at the lack of bodies we got into the box when we had it in wide areas.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dread to think what West Ham will do to us after another International Break!
Let's not. I'll be watching surrounded by Hammers. Albeit I do believe they're going to spank us.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sweeper or centre-back, we're accommodating him to the detriment of the team, in my very humble opinion sir.
I think we are to a point, but it's only a detriment to the team in certain games. I feel at the moment we aren't set up like he wants us to play and it's a bit of us just trying to get the best from what we have.

R

reanswolf

I’ve just remembered that a few Palace fans sat behind me were absolutely shocked at the lack of bodies we got into the box when we had it in wide areas.
Bang on.

How often have we seen Wolves 2-0 up in the last few minutes and our strikers hogging the ball at the attacking end?
Oh for a Sanches type getting into the box along with the 2 strikers.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh its going to be an absolute spanking, that I don't doubt, but just a light spanking rather than the 4-0 humming we got last season would be nice.
The way we played on Saturday 4-0 against Wet Spam would be a light spanking. I fear worse, much worse, if Lage persists with that.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don’t understand how we can play so well for the first half against Everton and then so poorly against Palace. Where is the consistency of performance?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I just don’t understand how we can play so well for the first half against Everton and then so poorly against Palace. Where is the consistency of performance?
Show me a team that isn’t inconsistent outside of the top 4

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The thing is, we also tend to play against other teams, and like ours, their performances will vary.

Sometimes our opponents play out of their skin for a few minutes, a half, or even most of a match. Just like us.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are just simply incapable of winning a midfield battle when that’s what’s required to win a match. That is down to having a player unnecessarily marking fresh air at the back

Chelsea make 3 at the back work because their wide players drop into centre midfield when required and make sure they win it.

We have Trincao and hwang who can’t win a 70/30 tackle in their favor and who cant show / keep the ball in busy areas

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
We may as well play 5 4 1 with the service any of our strikers(?) get.
Maybe there’s a place for Dean Smith as a tactics advisor. Couldn’t be worse than Bruno.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Show me a team that isn’t inconsistent outside of the top 4
Thats a fair point but our performances seem to vary to a greater degree!
We are just simply incapable of winning a midfield battle when that’s what’s required to win a match. That is down to having a player unnecessarily marking fresh air at the back

Chelsea make 3 at the back work because their wide players drop into centre midfield when required and make sure they win it.

We have Trincao and hwang who can’t win a 70/30 tackle in their favor and who cant show / keep the ball in busy areas
And thats why i think we should play 3-5-2 with Saiss moving back in to midfield and Boly coming back in at LCB.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
While I'm 50/50 about Lage so far, it's far to early to be panicking imo. Yes I was disappointed in the way we set up Saturday but Palace are one of the most in form teams atm. To me the mid table teams are very much of a muchness, you have the top 3 head and shoulders above everyone else, West Ham playing great up there but after that, there's not much between 5th-17th and I include Spurs, Utd and Arsenal in that.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
They overwhelmed us physically and hunted in pairs. We just couldnt match them strength for strength. Bruno alluded to this in his postmatch when he mentioned that we lost the "duels". But knowing what happened, I am astounded he kept Trincao on and left Adama on the bench for so long. Podence didnt have a chance physically so I dont know why he was brought on.
In such a physical match, Dendonker or even Sais should have been part of a 3 man midfield. Boly should have played maybe instead of Coady. Adama should have been up top from half time instead of having 20 odd minutes at wing back.
Lets face it - Bruno was out-witted in this match and I hope he learns for West Ham and especially Burnley who are also physical.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats a fair point but our performances seem to vary to a greater degree!

And thats why i think we should play 3-5-2 with Saiss moving back in to midfield and Boly coming back in at LCB.
I disagree . We can’t play only two attacking players .

Mgw would be perfect for that formation….

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
bully boy team that bullied wolves all over

Laughable how Benteke made fools of our defenders on multiple occasions and exposed our complete lack of midfield mobility

Screenshot_20211108_093102.jpg

For their first goal, he backs into Kilman,deepening our offside line (doesn't matter anyway thanks to Coady and Saiss), but most importantly preventing the defensive line from pushing forward and preventing the midfielder from attacking our box

For the second he does the same thing to Saiss, Moutinho doesn't even bother tracking the runner.

Screenshot_20211108_093146.jpg

Once you're goal side of our midfield, they're not going to catch up or effect the play.
Burnley will have a field day Vs this defending.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The comment by Lage that we lost all the battles seems a euphemism. Aka they were tougher than we were and tried harder. Assuming so this is as damning a verdict that a manager could give on any team.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The comment by Lage that we lost all the battles seems a euphemism. Aka they were tougher than we were and tried harder. Assuming so this is as damning a verdict that a manager could give on any team.
What on earth was he expecting when he analysed matches?

Absolutely no logic in starting moutinho and neves as a pair

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isnt the second goal where Podence just lets Gallagher run and shoot?

Back
Top Bottom