Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Southampton Verdict

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also Max did the same tackle as he did against Brentford which led to their goal did the same today but this time he put more meat into it and came away with the ball to start an attack
He really needs to be on the left doesn’t he

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missed a chance but only player who didn't regularly give ball away. Locked down their left wide, Hoever was absolutely torn to pieces by Djenepo. Agenda
Not semedo's biggest fan but did ok today. I just wish he would be more attacking and not go backwards, and stop missing chances. Got the skills but I still think we overpaid massively for him.

Hoever is still quite an unknown and does both good and bad so hard to call.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Result papers over cracks.

A welcome three points. Really pleased for Lage.

Fantastic goal, made up for Raul.

So that’s Norwich and Southampton likely worse than us, just need one more team.
Newcastle !!!!!
Not semedo's biggest fan but did ok today. I just wish he would be more attacking and not go backwards, and stop missing chances. Got the skills but I still think we overpaid massively for him.

Hoever is still quite an unknown and does both good and bad so hard to call.
We definitely overpaid but he’s getting slightly better if only he could put the ball in the onion bag!!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheer up we won.

Fairly upbeat to be fair. Sang Lage’s name throughout, as always, and celebrated like crazy when Raul found the net.

In general though, whilst it was a hugely welcome three points, this team/ squad still has a hell of a lot to do to guarantee PL football next season.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another very patchy display, and although we did defend better and managed the game well, Southampton were toothless without Ings which no doubt helped our cause. There's still a real lack of cohesion in our play, especially going forward, and worryingly changing the personnel did little to change our fortunes.

Special mentions for Sa who is starting to add a more commanding presence to the already excellent distribution, Saiss and Coady, who despite being off form so far this season, the latter on the back of one of his worst games in a long time, helped keep a clean sheet with some brave defending, and finally Raul, who battled well and deserved his goal. Seeing him come to life when he realised this was going to be the moment, just before showing superb composure to slot the ball away was Roy of The Rovers stuff.

Not so impressive were Marcal, who other than going down for cramp to nullify the 6 minutes added time was awful, Podence, who gave the ball away repeatedly and rarely offered any of the direct running we know he's capable of at his best, Hwang, who went missing for long periods of the game, and Kilman, who again had more shaky than good moments.

Sa 8
Kilman 6
Coady 7
Saiss 7
Semedo 6.5
Moutinho 6.5
Dendoncker 6.5
Marcal 5
Hwang 5
Raul 7
Podence 5

Subs:
Traore 5.5
Neves 6

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right about Marcal but please remind me how much he cost us and the same for Semedo? Look, maybe I'm seeing a different game to a few on here. It's not the first time. However, Semedo is not quite doing it for me. Of course, would have been completely different had he buried one of the three golden chances he's had to score this season...
I’m with you on Semedo. He never really stands out and is probably a 7 out of 10 player. Offers little going forward and, at the moment, both wing backs are like batsmen just holding up an end.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SA 9 - MOTM. Brilliant kick for an assist on Rauls goal, superb saves and commands his box well
Semedo 6 - decent game just wish he'd have buried that chance early doors, disappointed how much he passes sideways or backwards when down the right.
Kilman 6 - fairly solid
Coady 6 - fairly solid
Saiss 7 - thought he was our best defender
Marcal 3 - awful game, gave ball away time after time
Moutinho 5 - average performance, poor corners and short free kick first half with a second left to play
Donck 5 - did alright but we were really over run in midfield
Podence 4 - poor game from the big man, wasteful passes, see Marcal.
Hwang 4 - pretty non existent to me. Made a few direct runs that came to nothing.
Raul 7 - poor 1st half but class second. Took his goal really well which will do his confidence good. So happy to see him on score sheet.

Adama 4 - limited opportunities, should have come on earlier
Hoever N/A
Neves N/A
Jeez was most of the players that bad
I must have seen another game or I’m just on a high from getting a great win and bringing home 3 points

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Full game replay on Sky in a few mins (10pm) if anyone interested.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think we were very very poor
If we was very very poor we would have conceded 2/3 goals
We kept a clean sheet

Southampton's attack was crap. A decent attack would have annihilated us. Defining performances by the scoreline is foolish.

This is the problem when people seem to think "we won therefore amazing". You can have problems that mean you are likely to lose and they don't go away because you win.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just pointing out the fickleness when I see it.

And anyway, moaning after a win is fine - everything isn't perfect after a win, just like the sky wasn't falling on our heads after a defeat last week.
Fickleness but their opinion.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Southampton's attack was crap. A decent attack would have annihilated us. Defining performances by the scoreline is foolish.

This is the problem when people seem to think "we won therefore amazing". You can have problems that mean you are likely to lose and they don't go away because you win.
You can only play what's in front of you.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously the most important thing today is the win, but Raul getting his goal is very much second. Vital to get him firing

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a great performance but could have had 3 goals. Brilliant goal from Raul and early pass from Sa (joint top assists).

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle !!!!!

We definitely overpaid but he’s getting slightly better if only he could put the ball in the onion bag!!

I've just said on the Semedo thread that he's actually playing well at the back and in the middle but an RWB in that formation absolutely has to create and score goals - and he isn't. He checks back too much, slows things down, and doesn't produce in or around the box.

Not yet anyway.

If he was RB in a 4 playing like this I'd be quite happy though.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very important three points and massive for Raul too.
A difficult watch to be fair, but I thought Sa was very good today and so good to see our number 9 put that away.
Don’t really get the Moutinho stick but some of his positional play and blocks are just ignored I guess and how he gets a lower rating than someone who’s only touches were to give the ball away is a little bewildering to me.
Really hope RAN is available next weekend as he certainly gives up more in an attacking sense and we know Newcastle will sit in so I hope we don’t fall into the trap as against Brentford where we go one dimensional.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will Jonny play for us again? He is badly missed imo!

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Full game replay on Sky in a few mins (10pm) if anyone interested.
Just watched it...

Marcal's passing abysmal.

Pod's decision-making in the final 3rd poor.

Defence defended well

Sa was very good.

Raul's goal pure sublime...

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coming off a number of defeats, a team may just scrape a win rather than do it with class or oomph. More classic Nuno today than classic Bruno, but I can live with that. More a game of two teams lacking in confidence cancelling each other out, Southampton will improve and should stay safe for another season. The goal was simply brilliant, may you have many more in your career Raul, with us and beyond.
Overall the team has been weakened by the players sold and the replacements are not able to replicate what those players provided. I appreciate that Neto is to come back into the team and he should be good for 6-8 goals a season. Jota in terms of his goal scoring potential is sorely missed as indeed is Doherty. We are over dependent on Raul who is coming back from a most dreadful injury. I know many fans rate Semedo a better player than Doc but he - Doc - was good for 5 goals or so a season and despite his reputation as a poor defender was usually solid in his performances. As one of the TV panel said as Semedo came face to face with McCarthy in that early chance - 'no one will expect me to score in this position, how can I get rid of the ball.'

Sa - 8
Semedo - 6
Kilman - 7 - made a dreadful mistake early on in the game, but overall solid.
Coady - 7
Saiss - 7
Marcal - 5
Mouts - 6
Donk - 6
Podence - 6
Raul - 9, I haven't seen any comments on the one on one he had on McCarthy late on in the game, he was waiting for Adama, to get into the penalty area but one of the Southampton defenders aware of the threat cut off where he wanted to play the ball, so Raul played it off the goalie for a corner.
Hwang - 6, I hope today was an off day and not an illustration of how limited he is.
Subs - Adama - 6; Neves and Hoever n/a

I remain highly critical of the decision to send MGW out on loan, his game has developed sufficiently to suggest that he is well capable of holding his own in this team and indeed could well be good for 6-8 goals over the season.

Onwards and upwards.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Come on. A bit harsh. We were due a bit of luck and winning ugly after losing the first 3 playing some beautiful football.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this talk about Moutinho being poor is a clear example of perceived and inherited wisdom. He was good today. So was Coady.

Marcal played like this week's raffle winner!
Yep I was one of those questioning starting Moutinho and Jimenez again but thank god Bruno did as they were along with Sa our best players.
The rest average with Marcal embarrassingly awful ( 1 point for wasting time at the end though ) .
Disappointed with Podence and to a lesser extent Hwang.
Awful quality from both teams for the most part ( we’d prob have lost if Ings was still there) but a wins a win.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I think it is and will remain so until January gives him a chance to bring in the players he wants/needs (assuming nothing dramatic happens between now and then...).
I’m really hoping the deal for a fit Sanches is done and dusted by then and we announce it either before the window or just after the start. Sanches plus Botman would be fantastic and get me believing in the board again.

Whatever happens I don’t want to see Kieffer ‘1 in 11’ Moore or
Oli ‘1 in 10’ McBurnie mentioned at all.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Marcal was okay Saints wouldn’t of scored if they played all night but I get you’re point. We could do better in that position. Saiss impressive too
I'm as happy clappery as they come but Marcal was goddam awful yesterday. Not sure he made a successful pass to a teammate all game and some very shoddy defending

RAN has to come in

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm as happy clappery as they come but Marcal was goddam awful yesterday. Not sure he made a successful pass to a teammate all game and some very shoddy defending

RAN has to come in
I thought Coady was just as bad as Marcal they didn’t do anything too majorly wrong just a bit reckless at times

T

TheConcourse

You're right about Marcal but please remind me how much he cost us and the same for Semedo? Look, maybe I'm seeing a different game to a few on here. It's not the first time. However, Semedo is not quite doing it for me. Of course, would have been completely different had he buried one of the three golden chances he's had to score this season...
I’d rather speak about the value of a player in the context of now than an figure some club against his name well over a year ago.

Yep, he’s had three good chances - not easy chances - but he should have scored. That doesn’t mean his overall performances haven’t been good. It’s going to hurt some on here, but he’s been our most consistent performer this season IMO. Rarely has a poor game.

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
Not a “happy clapper” by any stretch. But there is one main positive from yesterday……we played well below average, worse than against Brentford and Spurs. But with a better result. 3 points.

Winning while not playing at your best is a quality we need to expand on. And it just goes to show, if you don’t concede you’re always in with a chance. I don’t recall Man United picking on individuals and dissecting contributions when they were lucky against us earlier in the season.

Yes we can analyse Marcal’s poor performance, Hwang’s general ineffectiveness, the lucky VAR escape & Moutinho’s leggy last 20 minutes.

But as a collective, we weren’t at our best yet we still passed the test. Exactly what we need more of.

T

TheConcourse

Result papers over cracks.

A welcome three points. Really pleased for Lage.

Fantastic goal, made up for Raul.

So that’s Norwich and Southampton likely worse than us, just need one more team.
I want to say Burnley but we seem to see this trend every season before Chris Wood turns into peak Ronaldo. The fat version.

Back
Top Bottom