Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fabio Silva - value for money???

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
Genuine question to those who rate him… what is he good at? What are his stand out qualities?

Ahhh he does a good job pressing high up the field? That's all I got really.

Basically the entire football world laughed at this transfer when it happened. We all wanted to convince ourselves we were right and they were just piling on, but man. 35M that could have helped us build on a second straight 7th place finish...

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel sorry for him, not his fault Shi overpaid by 500%. Nowhere near what was needed.

At least he has scored, unlike Al-Jabber, Blobby Taylor and Frankowski.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor tonight but has to be said, most of the balls played towards him were balls he had to fight for and when Hwang went through the middle in the second half he wasn't a great deal better, he just put himself about a bit

All our forwards looked like they'd never met each other before tonight

VAR OUT

Groupie
Reaction score
I know it’s expensiveto follow wolves these days: But in retrospect , if we stayed up under Saunders we would’ve signed Kaspars *** Gorkks on a perm.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To single him out tonight, wow. Tough game no his best but he will improve others on the pitch will not.

ChattWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
"Generational Talent" or ...

We've been mugged off and Shi is (hard to believe it,i know) talking BS.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The kid has only just turned 19, most his age are still stuck in the academy age groups don't forget. I think people are expecting way too much too soon.

At this level, unless you're a physical freak like Haaland, Rooney or Mbappe then you ain't gonna be leading the line at 19.

Kane/Shearer/Lineker, like most Strikers, were all around 21 before they really got to that level. Silva needs at least another couple of years before we can really judge if £35m was worth it or not.

blackbullyV2

Reaction score
£35m though!!!!! What a criminal waste of money. The only way we are ever recouping that is if Mendes does a similarly shady deal for him to go elsewhere. He's not worth £3.5m. He's like the modern day Steve Corica, but with a higher price tag. I'd rather have that lummox from West Ham, Mike Small. Even big Cyrille in the twilight of his career. Even Jeremie Aliadiere.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn't even about recouping the money is it? So what if he is worth 70 million in three years or something, what good does that do us in the here and now when we are desperate for fresh blood? I don't for a second think we are going down but a few injuries and continued poor luck and we could certainly end up in a relegation battle and then this signing looks even more foolish than it already does.

Love Fabio, seems a great character and none of this falls on him, he is just a pawn in all this, but 35 million for a prospect is not something a club of our standing should be going anywhere near, a truly ridiculous move regardless of what happens in the future.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said my piece about Silva when we signed him and on plenty of occasions since, so no point going over old ground. I'd just like the relatively few who 'can see something' in him to tell me what it is, because for the love of Bully, I cannot see anything.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff shi is a moron. Complete idiot .

I’d love to hear him justify his signing ahead of signing someone that would actually start football matches for us

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I watched the U23s on Monday night. Chem Campbell had a decent game.

If you told me we spent £35m on Chem Campbell I'd say you were mad.

But I could believe spending £35m on Chem Campbell more easily than I could believe spending £35m on Fabio Silva

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing personal against Silva but let's face it we sold Jota and brought him. On £80,000 per week on a five year deal.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cannot believe some of the comments on here. Spend 35 million and let him play for the 23,s or go out on loan. The more time he spends around the 1st team around moutinho neves etc is where the kid will learn his trade.

But if I'm honest I'd rather the 35 mil have been spent on a new 10k south bonk that included the corners.
He can still be around the first team and play every U23 game.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think his best quality is that he makes other players seem like world beaters. After all, if he's a generational talent....

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's not forget for 35 minutes of that first half the whole team was chasing shadows as Spurs just passed it around at will.... He tried pressing from the front and looked to get about but he had absolutely zero service...

He had a decent game at Forest and a not so good one against Spurs to really judge his progression he will need alot more game time than the odd cup game imo....

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thread title and the question posed are actually completely opposite to each other.
I bet half those who responded probably voted the opposite way to how they thought.

Would I be agreeing he is "value for money" or agreeing that he will "never be worth the £35m we spent"?
A completely pointless and moronic poll.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said my piece about Silva when we signed him and on plenty of occasions since, so no point going over old ground. I'd just like the relatively few who 'can see something' in him to tell me what it is, because for the love of Bully, I cannot see anything.
Neither can I. Nothing at all.
Absolutely bewildering signing.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thread title and the question posed are actually completely opposite to each other.
I bet half those who responded probably voted the opposite way to how they thought.

Would I be agreeing he is "value for money" or agreeing that he will "never be worth the £35m we spent"?
A completely pointless and moronic
Would have been better as say "Silva - Your Opinions" certainly. Nonetheless if anyone can think of a more nonsensical signing by any club, any time, anywhere I would be interested to hear it (I will however propose swapping Alan Hinton for Dick Le Flem). The optomists seem to be waning as with the passage of time he seems to be getting worse not better. In any other industry Shi would have been sacked over it.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He needs a loan move to Championship side or a mid table Portuguese side. Let him play adult football constantly and score some goals.

I also think he needs to play in a two
The issue is could you see him getting regular game time in the Championship? I’m not so sure myself. Spain or Portugal seem the best bets for me.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would have been better as say "Silva - Your Opinions" certainly. Nonetheless if anyone can think of a more nonsensical signing by any club, any time, anywhere I would be interested to hear it (I will however propose swapping Alan Hinton for Dick Le Flem). The optomists seem to be waning as with the passage of time he seems to be getting worse not better. In any other industry Shi would have been sacked over it.
I’m a Fabio cheerleader but it’s more out of hope than expectation. As usual with wolves it was the timing that was off. We were massively on the up as a club and Jeff (I presume) got arrogant and started thinking past the next season.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd sell in January for whatever we can get , ( and that won't be anywhere near £35m), and buy a bloody CB !!

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The kid has only just turned 19, most his age are still stuck in the academy age groups don't forget. I think people are expecting way too much too soon.

At this level, unless you're a physical freak like Haaland, Rooney or Mbappe then you ain't gonna be leading the line at 19.

Kane/Shearer/Lineker, like most Strikers, were all around 21 before they really got to that level. Silva needs at least another couple of years before we can really judge if £35m was worth it or not.
And in a year he'd only just be turning 20.

Reminds me of the ryan sessegnon thingy. Perhaps we need a link to a web page to remind us his age.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio has started enough games and come on as a substitute often enough to give an opinion.

He is nowhere near Premier League standard atm and should not be anywhere near the starting 11. He is lightweight, gets easily pushed off the ball, has no pace, can’t hold up the ball, can’t head a ball and can’t shoot. I just can’t say anything positive about him and I just can’t see him getting any better.

Yes we can all say he is still young and he will improve, but come on, most of us Mixers have been watching football long enough to know if a player is going to make it or not. You could see in Rooney, Mbappe, Haaland that they were exceptional talent in their teens. They were and are regular starters who regularly made and scored goals. Silva does not!

Silva is showing absolutely nothing to justify the fee we paid for him which is not his fault. Jeff, the final decision to sign him was yours. You signed the cheque and you have to justify it. Good luck! Generational talent my ***e!

£35million would have paid for the centre half and midfield player we have been desperate for even before Fabio signed. It just doesn’t make sense at all.

The only consolation for me is that Newcastle blew more money on Joelinton and Villa blew almost as much on Wesley. They have done nothing either.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could see in Rooney, Mbappe, Haaland that they were exceptional talent in their teens. They were and are regular starters who regularly made and scored goals. Silva does not!

You mean three famously early physical developers, one of which was burned out by his late 20s? Is there a reason you picked those specific examples rather than other top strikers?

You could just as easily say that at Fabio's age Vardy hadn't even been picked up by Stocksbridge Park Steels yet, Klose wasn't a professional footballer or Van Nistlerooy was playing central midfield in the dutch 2nd division, and they turned out to be worth a lot.

The key thing is, no-one knows how good he will or won't be. I can understand and agree with people saying his signing was too much of a risk, but to completely write him off, is in my opinion, pretty thick.

D

Deleted member 7041

Probably been asked before, but, can someone please explain to me what he is good at. I just don't see it.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had bought him as “one for the future” for £3.5M then fair enough but I just don’t get the £35M.
Probably has a decent future somewhere, sometime but NOT a generational talent, sadly. Needs a loan to a Championship team that will play him regularly, and needs to play in a front two, close to another striker in my view. Our formation does not help him and he was very isolated last night with two wide forwards who were both in row Z of the stands.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could just as easily say that at Fabio's age Vardy hadn't even been picked up by Stocksbridge Park Steels yet, Klose wasn't a professional footballer or Van Nistlerooy was playing central midfield in the dutch 2nd division, and they turned out to be worth a lot.
And to that I would add Kilman, our best discovery. He played futsal and lost his maiden head or something. Don't know, I'm just a thicky.

The only difference is, of course price. Kilman cost something like a bap and some chips or something.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To the 'needs a loan to the Championship ' advocates.... At Which side in the championship do you think he would get game time (ie which current championship striker would be dropped to play him?).

Would many (any) Chump coaches want to take him to bolster their starting line up in a relentless and very physical league?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you're a City or a Chelsea then you can happily make signings like this with limited risk. We've taken a huge gamble however, particularly given that the purse strings have been tightened ever since. I can see some potential in Silva, but right now its difficult to see how he ever becomes that £100 million player that Jeff seems convinced he will be. I'm not sure Bruno wouldn't agree?

It was an interesting move really, what with us having such a small squad and our owners clearly deciding the club needs to be come self sufficient on the transfer front, to then go and lump £70 million on an 18 year old striker from Porto and an ok-good right back from Barca? We could have had a decent right back, CB, CM and a striker for that, and I'd have a difficult time imagining we wouldn’t be better off right now?

As things stand I can’t see either Silva or Semedo justifying their price tag, or us recouping anything like what we’ve paid.

Last edited:

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To the 'needs a loan to the Championship ' advocates.... At Which side in the championship do you think he would get game time (ie which current championship striker would be dropped to play him?).

Would many (any) Chump coaches want to take him to bolster their starting line up in a relentless and very physical league?
Fulham seem to like his sort. A couple of weeks with Mitrovic should toughen him up. Prison Style.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£35m though!!!!! What a criminal waste of money. The only way we are ever recouping that is if Mendes does a similarly shady deal for him to go elsewhere. He's not worth £3.5m. He's like the modern day Steve Corica, but with a higher price tag. I'd rather have that lummox from West Ham, Mike Small. Even big Cyrille in the twilight of his career. Even Jeremie Aliadiere.
What an utterly ridiculous post.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just don't see how a man who I'm sure admitted to not knowing much about football at all just a few years ago should be playing any role whatsoever in judging players' ability.

Signings like this come from a vacuum of ability being directly involved in the recruitment process. If we're trying to run a tight ship on spending, there has to be much more competence in identifying the players who are truly worth putting the big bucks down for. This was a completely "wonky" signing for any club that is trying to minimise its spend as much as we have been over the last 18 months.

Spot on!
Fabio was Jeff Shi's pick , the chairman needs to be held accountable.
According to Jeff we had been watching Fabio for a few seasons , the fact we could have bought Silva for €10m 12 mths earlier is gross incompetence in itself.... then to spend the majority of our budget based on " hope" is just negligent and nonsensical.

I feel sorry for Fabio ( but I guess his salary would ease his pain) but like many, many others I see nothing in his game to warrant a valuation of him anywhere near 35m.

Back
Top Bottom