Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spurs (H) Verdict

• Thread starter Deleted member 5276
  • Start date

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were hopeless in the opponents penalty area, shots flying in but not controlled, didn't look like beating their keeper even when Adama managed to fail with a perfect chance that a Danny Ings would have buried or Raul at his sharpest. Hopeful crosses sent in without a target mostly. One paced defense looked suspect when attacked although we competed well and had a lot of energy. The spurs GK though had little to do while their defense for the most part was never pulled out of shape. We don't possess anybody to come off the bench either to give it all a lift when it's needed.
We need 3 quality players that can come into our team to give us a calmer controlled approach in either box and also allow Neto, Podence and Boly to get upto speed. Our new set up needs time and hoped for investment to flourish now.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Biggest question - where are the goals going to come from? For all the lovely football we played, we never looked like scoring. I'm impressed with the way Bruno has us playing but he needs backing in the market, otherwise there's a long season ahead as this squad just isn't good enough.

The transfer market. Has to be .We have a squad of almostr exclusively players who have lots of good attributes, but scoring just isn't it. Adama, Donk, Moutinho, Neves, Podence..Semedo, Marcal the list is almost endless! All of them players who need 3 or 4 big chances to score once, because they mess up more often than not. We have forwards who can do the fancy flicks all match, but can't score more than 5 in a full season. You're real strikers will score if given only a couple of half chances (e.g Vardy last week). Raul is our only player who can do that - and he only looks about 70% match fit to me. Which is inevitable.

Talk of "practice shooting in training" is nonsense. As if they don't do this already! We just don't have goals in our squad, other than Raul and Neto. And with fitness concerns over both...we need to buy in.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How the **** have we lost that?
I would like to say that Mr Atwell played a hand in this but.....................oh hang on I think he might have.
Ok he might not have been instrumental in us missing chances to score some of his decisions were at best debatable and some might say biased. The fouls not given on Traore. That guy Tabgawanga or whatever his name is should have gone.
What has happened to VAR now. Some of those non decisions!!! Why cant we be open and unbiased as they are in cricket.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Have enjoyed (and been frustrated by) the last two performances more than pretty much anything we have served up in the 18 months. Pressed superbly and played with intent throughout and only let down by a combination of bad luck, bad finishing, Dele Alli leaving a trailing leg and our final ball (the wing-backs and Trincao in particular).

Adama was magnificent again. When you see how Tanganga marked Grealish and Sterling out of the game last week, he couldn’t get near Adama today. His all round game is developing but yet again, he simply has to finish that chance. I guess the main positive is he is consistently getting into those types of position and making those types of run now which wasn’t the case in previous years but he has to be finishing those chances off. It is so close to properly clicking for him that it would be madness to sell him now.

Thought Sa was very good as were Kilman, Marcal and Neves.

Sa 7
Kilman 7
Coady 6
Saiss 6
Semedo 6 (had given him 5 previously on the basis of his final ball but he is far from the only one guilty of that and the rest of his game was good)
Neves 7
Moutinho 6
Marcal 7
Traore 8
Raul 6
Trincao 5

The only other query for me is how do we get Ait-Nouri into the starting XI. Just looks an incredible talent every time I see him yet Marcal continues to impress.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing is better than being at a match. Have missed it so much these 18 months.

Despite the result I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Just disappointed we could get something as we deserved it.

One thing I will say, I can’t see Spurs fans being happy with that level of performance!

Tipton Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The transfer market. Has to be .We have a squad of almostr exclusively players who have lots of good attributes, but scoring just isn't it. Adama, Donk, Moutinho, Neves, Podence..Semedo, Marcal the list is almost endless! All of them players who need 3 or 4 big chances to score once, because they mess up more often than not. We have forwards who can do the fancy flicks all match, but can't score more than 5 in a full season. You're real strikers will score if given only a couple of half chances (e.g Vardy last week). Raul is our only player who can do that - and he only looks about 70% match fit to me. Which is inevitable.

Talk of "practice shooting in training" is nonsense. As if they don't do this already! We just don't have goals in our squad, other than Raul and Neto. And with fitness concerns over both...we need to buy in.
This is what i am saying. We can play as good as we want but if players naturally arent goalscorers, it aint going to happen and we will still concede first every game.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were hopeless in the opponents penalty area, shots flying in but not controlled, didn't look like beating their keeper even when Adama managed to fail with a perfect chance that a Danny Ings would have buried or Raul at his sharpest. Hopeful crosses sent in without a target mostly. One paced defense looked suspect when attacked although we competed well and had a lot of energy. The spurs GK though had little to do while their defense for the most part was never pulled out of shape. We don't possess anybody to come off the bench either to give it all a lift when it.
We need 3 quality players that can come into our team to give us a calmer controlled approach in either box and also allow Neto, Podence and Boly to get upto speed. Our new set up needs time and hoped for investment to flourish now.
Do you really think it is fair to compare two natural goal scorers with a player who is predominately a winger?

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Overall the energy was great.
Not sure how'd we'd keep that up with a small squad but a joy to see.
Obviously missing the goals but we must hope that come.

Get some decent additions in and it could be pretty exciting.

Sa - Some good distribution but a little shaky.
Semedo - Not massively comfortable and didn't offer anything on the right up top.
Coady - Not much to say.
Saiss -Dont really remember much of him.
Kilman - Solid he's progressing nicely
Marcel - Would have liked more from the left to be honest
Moutinho - Think his position needs upgrading.
Neves - Overall was decent needs work on shooting! hit the target more.
Trincao - Lightweight but you can see he's got it, bit concerning wanting to drop onto stronger foot.
Traore - If he stays Bruno could do wonders, I doubt he will if only he could score.
Jiminez - Not there yet but will do.

Alt Nouri - Would have liked to have seen him earlier
Dendonker - Nowt to say
Silva - Not much time

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have enjoyed (and been frustrated by) the last two performances more than pretty much anything we have served up in the 18 months. Pressed superbly and played with intent throughout and only let down by a combination of bad luck, bad finishing, Dele Alli leaving a trailing leg and our final ball (the wing-backs and Trincao in particular).

Adama was magnificent again. When you see how Tanganga marked Grealish and Sterling out of the game last week, he couldn’t get near Adama today. His all round game is developing but yet again, he simply has to finish that chance. I guess the main positive is he is consistently getting into those types of position and making those types of run now which wasn’t the case in previous years but he has to be finishing those chances off. It is so close to properly clicking for him that it would be madness to sell him now.

Sa 7
Kilman 7
Coady 6
Saiss 6
Semedo 6 (had given him 5 previously on the basis of his final ball but he is far from the only one guilty of that and the rest of his game was good)
Neves 7
Moutinho 6
Marcal 7
Traore 8
Raul 6
Trincao 5

The only other query for me is how do we get Ait-Nouri into the starting XI. Just looks an incredible talent every time I see him yet Marcal continues to impress.
At the moment I'd have him in over Trincao but Adama seems dangerous on the left

jim_boner

Groupie
Reaction score
Much more entertaining despite the result. Sharper attacking play from Jimenez and Trincão and we win. Traore has created more than his share, but has also cost us 2 points so far this season.

Sa - I’m not sure there’s much he could do on the penalty sequence. Otherwise very solid - 6.5

Kilman - Best CB today - 7

Coady - Ok - beaten a few times, misjudged a few. -6

Saiss - Unremarkable which is fine for a defender in his role- 6.5

Semedo - Got behind several times, created the width for Trinçao. Solid defensively. Poor final ball. - 6.5

Marcal - Excellent defensively and supporting Traore. Sub-par going forward. - 7

Moutinho - as usual he was great maintaining possession, but if isolated 1 v 1 defensively he’s overrun. - 6

Neves - wasteful in front of goal, caught in possession too often, and gave away the ball that allowed Spurs to counter for the pen. Then he gives a peach of a ball to Traore that should have tied the score. On the balance it probably averages out. - 6

Trincão- not dangerous at all, so for a right wing that’s below par - 5.5

Raul - So glad to have him back. Positive play overall but lacked the precision required. - 6

Traore - unplayable in the first half. Still our most dangerous player in the 2nd. Obviously should have done better on the chance from Neves. Without his threat to get behind, we don't get to pin them back the same (and probably lose by more). -

Subs :

Dendoncker - was an improvement on a tired Moutinho.

Ait-Nouri - instant upgrade in attacking ability up the left. Can he defend like Marcal did and cover for Adama?

Silva - not really involved but did get his chance on target
We’ve just completely dominated a top 6 side in the middle of the park for the whole game and you give both Neves and moutinho a 6???
glad you never marked my exam papers at school!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is what i am saying. We can play as good as we want but if players naturally arent goalscorers, it aint going to happen and we will still concede first every game.

We will get luck eventually of course, and *probably* create enough to avoid trouble. (there's at least 3 teams looking FAR worse than us!) . But it would be a shame to not fulfill our potential, for the want of one big signing who can actually deliver on the pitch. Instead of all these "promising investment projects" we keep buying these days.

Having said that, Fabio is my only hope in the current squad of actually becoming a clinical finisher. Now we're seeing this same pattern in 3 games in a row, I'd be tempted to change it up a bit. Perhaps a 3-5-2 with Fabio and Raul up front. Or even have Fabio starting and bring Raul on at 70 minutes when defences are tiring, I think he may be more effective then as he clearly is still getting back to match fitness.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even though I rate Semedo, I think today’s game shows exactly what Doc gave us. I’d have backed Doc to pop up in the right place at some stage this afternoon and score.

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another encouraging performance but I’ve now been to three games (Celta Vigo, Leicester, Spurs) and seen us have over 50 shots at goal without scoring. It’s a massive problem and huge concern.

For me the attacking contributions from Semedo and Marcal were really poor and I am not a fan of Trincao. Thought Sa, Neves, Kilman and Adama were absolutely brilliant.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Sa 7
Kilman 7
Coady 6
Saiss 6
Neves 7
Moutinho 6
Marcal 7
Traore 8
Raul 6
Trincao 5

Just on your last point, I'd say the answer was there in the last 10 minutes. Play Marcal at LCB and RAN at WB (until we go to a back 4!)

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played well today but our lack of composure in front of goal is alarming. One problem is we also never seem to have enough players in the box when a cross comes in. The issue is a combination of playing 3 centre backs and having two central midfield players who dont make runs into the box as say Declan Rice and Soucek do at West Ham.

It is worrying that for all our play today how many times did we really trouble the Spurs keeper? No where near enough. Trincao looks like he needs time but we dont have time. He should be coming on from the bench ideally

Positives for me were Kilman, Semedo, Neves, Traore, Marcal. I thought Coady was poor and looked really slow today. Kilman looked miles better to me.

Until we address the issues in central midfield, centre back and get another attacker in that will get goals then for all our good play we will be having these same sort of conversations week in week out.

Lack of mobile central midfielders who will attack the opposition box, mobile centre backs who will allow us to play 4 at the back and play more attackers and another clinical attacking player will be our downfall this season unless these issues are addressed by Shi in the coming days.

There are positive signs but the lack of goals and clinical shooting is becoming a big worry now. If you include the Celta Vigo game that is 3 games without a goal despite good possession. This simply has to change and improve and fast or this season will be a struggle.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you really think it is fair to compare two natural goal scorers with a player who is predominately a winger?
The point i was trying to make is we are short of a player who can grab the half chances although being through with only the keeper to beat shouldn't be beyond an international forward to find the net.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other than the result the only real disappointment, for me, was the delivery from the wing backs. When the ball gets to Marcal and Semedo out wide you just know that the only free centre back or first man is going to get picked out. They both played really well today but it’s such an important area of a wing backs game that it needs improving. I’m watching Alonso and James for Chelsea at the moment and they are a real threat when attacking.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

We played well, I’m impressed by Bruno’s approach, but it’s a goals and results business.

We still need 3 quality players and some points on the board. Nothing has changed on that front (maybe we are watching Kilman stepping up right now?)

I have grave concerns that Raul isn’t going to get the goals we need and without that we’ll struggle badly.

Stee

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Until we do, we are going to continue to struggle to score. 42 shots 0 goals tells its own story.
I know it does and I agree with the customary but.

But! At least we have had 42 shots! At some point if we keep on like this we will score goals.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

rubyloo

Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread so probably covered already but Adama simply HAS to go round the keeper - easily enough speed and momentum to go wide then tap in . Frustrating as hell - going to get sick of playing well and not getting any points. Watched on a stream in a camp site laundry room on the isle of wight (long story) - crowd sounded fantastic. Looking forward to taking up my seat in the BW upper again next week.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played far better in the opening two games than we did in the whole of last season
We will finish in the top 10
No chance, too much beer Gary mate, remind me how many saves the Leicester and Spurs goalies have made?

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the replay of the penalty, we've been shafted again by VAR. At match speed I can see why the ref gave it from his angle but the cameras show the truth, that Alli left his foot like Sterling does to gain advantage. Alli should have been booked for ungentlemanly conduct if that still exists in our modern game.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best game from Wolves I have seen for a long time. We played them off the park for long periods without being able to put the ball in the net. Three or four gilt edged chances, the best of them missed by Adama, whereas Spurs did absolutely nowt except score from the pen we gifted them. If Adama could shoot he would be playing for Real Madrid, not us. Spurs couldn't touch him, especially first half. Trincao looks too lightweight to me, come back Neto, soon. Raul rusty. But we were a pleasure to watch after the chore of watching Nuno ball. We'll be OK, just don't lose heart.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit down after that. Not from the way we played - far from it - just that we deserved to have got something from that performance.

However, Raul is not yet match sharp, Trincao will take some time to embed himself into the PL and we got 2-3 signings to come (hopefully) this week, and 3-4 players to return from injury, Spurs were VERY defensive (more than most sides will be), we were often up against 8-9 defenders in the box, and it will take some time for the players to adapt from a very defensive-minded system to an attack-focused one - But - if we play like that on a regular basis, we will comfortably be a top-half team, there’s no worries from me.

Not much to add to what‘s been said, except:

- Traore was simply sensational. Back to his “unplayable” best of 2 seasons ago for the first 75 minutes, then understandably tired towards the end (shame we don’t yet have a Neto or Podence to bring on after 60 minutes!) but I’m sorry tiger, you gotta finish those 1-on-1’s if you want to reach the top. If I have to listen to one more ****in pundit talk about his end-product again, I swear to god…..

- Semedo. What a performance! Hopefully will flourish under Lage more than he was ever going to do under Nuno, superb attacking outlet all game, cannot remember him putting a foot wrong. Although, let’s see what happens when we play a team with more attacking intent than Spuds before I start ****ing him off.

- Kilman, was so impressive again. Love how this guy is developing, he is just getting better and stronger with each game.

- Neves is starting to really show what a world class midfielder he can become under a less defensive system. Would love to see him given the freedom to play like he did in the 2nd half vs Celta Vigo, especially at the Mol and vs the more defensive sides (like Spurs!!) We just need to get thru to the end of this transfer window with him cos if he keeps putting in improving performances like this week-in, week-out - he will become an extremely attractive proposition to any top side. And that ball to Traore had a ****in cherry on it.

- Nuno’s biggest fan, but not sure how the Spurs fans are gonna feel after a few bad results with a system like that!!

- My main point though - can we talk about that ****in disgraceful penalty? How much longer are these ****in officials gonna allow top team players to continue to kick opponents on their way down so they can claim “contact” and ”win” penalties? It’s a shameful part of our game, it’s ****in cheating, and Dele Alli is a diving **** for doing it but then you cannot blame him when you’ve got useless ****s like Attwell who couldn’t referee a game of ****in Ludo nevermind a Premier League game! And I had to sit there listening to a bunch of so-called “experts” tell me It’s a stonewall penalty!!?? Are you ****in kidding me? I’m sick to death of this top 6 ****athon crediting players for earning or winning penalties that are not ****in penalties!!

Proper boils my ****, and it’s about time it was called out and stopped!

Don’t these ****s have enough of a financial advantage without the gift of regular free penalties as well?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, were there any potential new signings in the crowd today???

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

This is absolutely spot on. If we don’t buy cleverly (and not another fancy flick winger-cum-striker) we will struggle to stay up.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again we muller Spurs at home but get nowt. Deserved at least a draw out of that game. We played well from the off but our own worst enemies gifting their pen, first with Neves giving the ball away and then our new goalie coming out but not even attempting to get the ball, allowing their player to buy an easy pen. Why on earth Sa does not try to get the ball having committed himself, I don't know. Anyway, putting those brain farts to one side, happy with the performance. We'll be alright this season with Bruno at the helm. Much better than Spurs with Nuno, I reckon. What mattered more than anything today, however, was seeing the safe return of our own Raul Jimenez, playing in old gold in front of the Molineux faithful! If only that little curler from the edge of the box, first half, had gone in!

Back
Top Bottom