Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer transfer window - 2021 Deadline Day passed...

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you are wrong about the tactics. We played tippy tap, possession, football across the back five and midfield but it was possession going nowhere with no threat. The full backs didn’t really attack - if Ait Nouri got over the half way line it was like he suddenly realised he had been told not to, turned and passed back, once Raul had gone Silva was on his own up their feeding off scraps it was desperate.

So often we had one or two gold shirts in the box against four or five defenders. We had a safety first set up last season and it was painful to watch. The only relief and goals, more often than not were as a result of individual skill, mainly Neto and Traore towards the end of the season. I don’t mind Traore going for big money but with Neto injured, Trincao unproven I don’t see where we have any attacking threat bar Raul - and he can’t do it all on his own.

It went nowhere because it was too ridged. I think Nuno was mainly to blame for that, but also harder to be fluid when not everyone is on the same wave length. Got to have sombodh to leave the space for others to enter it etc. Without the fluidity it becomes a game of individuals having to create something

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It went nowhere because it was too ridged. I think Nuno was mainly to blame for that, but also harder to be fluid when not everyone is on the same wave length. Got to have sombodh to leave the space for others to enter it etc. Without the fluidity it becomes a game of individuals having to create something

So you are now saying it was tactics then.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember when our position that we constantly moaned about was a leftback and it took till we was in league 1 to get Scott Golborne
I'll say this, you never see this kind of nonsense in the NFL. Teams will at least *try* to fix glaring holes in an off-season.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if we don’t sell Neves or Traore, ( for whatever reason), where will we find money for a CB and CM?
Rafa Mir and loan deals. I'd rather us keep those two than get anyone else in, and we're desperate for a CB!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you are now saying it was tactics then.

I'm saying it was both. Having one player that's not on the rest of the teams wavelength is going to make it hard for us and having Nuno being very strict how many players back to cover. Nuno is now gone, so we are so close to being a fluid team again.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any rumors? It’s been all quiet in the papers for ages.

In terms of incoming yes. Adama linked to Leeds and Spurs for £30-45m

Mir to Barca and Athletico for swap deal/£12m

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So i have seen prices of 30m and 35m banded around for Traore and Neves. This is in a market where buendia costs 45m and ben white 50m. Consider the fact that we havent had a good window for 2 years and our chairman decided to buy a work experience striker for 35m. If we do sell our most prized assets for small fees how do we all expect this season to go?

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So i have seen prices of 30m and 35m banded around for Traore and Neves. This is in a market where buendia costs 45m and ben white 50m. Consider the fact that we havent had a good window for 2 years and our chairman decided to buy a work experience striker for 35m. If we do sell our most prized assets for small fees how do we all expect this season to go?
Terribly.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just can't understand how we are in such a position as to have so little funds that we can do no better than break even. How are we in such a position where there is NOTHING to spend without a sale? It can't just be put to covid. Are we in poor financial straits? Fosun lacking interest? Yet again though we find ourselves 2 weeks before the season starts talking about the same issues we haven't addressed for the last umpteen windows, so so frustrating! Feels like we're going into another season undercooked, unconvincing and unprepared to me.

jim_boner

Groupie
Reaction score
I just can't understand how we are in such a position as to have so little funds that we can do no better than break even. How are we in such a position where there is NOTHING to spend without a sale? It can't just be put to covid. Are we in poor financial straits? Fosun lacking interest? Yet again though we find ourselves 2 weeks before the season starts talking about the same issues we haven't addressed for the last umpteen windows, so so frustrating! Feels like we're going into another season undercooked, unconvincing and unprepared to me.
FFP. Thought they were very clear on that in the interview with Johnny Phillips.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its just not how they play. It's a massive contrasting style of play. Wouldnt it makes more sense to get Adama to suit the rest of the side, or even replace him so the side works better together?

Yes he beats players and puts crosses in (something as a team we aren't built on scoring from aside from Raul) but he isn't this Superstar player that needs to be shoehorned into the side at all costs for me.

Top of the list if we need to sell before we can buy. With Neto coming back we already have two wingers and Podence as back up. MGW as cover and Campbell as 5th choice back up. Use that money to get get more place to the side.
So you would take a player who has got incredible assets to his game that can take out defenders and change him to a sub standard player because the rest of the team are playing in a sub standard way. Well hopefully Bruno will want to utiilise him in a far better way than Nuno ever did.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFP. Thought they were very clear on that in the interview with Johnny Phillips.

They've been cutting back long before those issues though no? We didn't have FFP issues back in summer 2019, for example, did we? We weren't under any Uefa ffp rules as we hadn't kicked a ball in Europe yet. Since that summer we've barely broken even in any window. Makes me think that it's not just FFP, and that there has been a sea change in Fosun - possibly down to politics/waning interest. As for the interview with Johnny - must admit I find it hard to trust a word Shi says these days.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you would take a player who has got incredible assets to his game that can take out defenders and change him to a sub standard player because the rest of the team are playing in a sub standard way. Well hopefully Bruno will want to utiilise him in a far better way than Nuno ever did.

How do you utilise him better?

Unless we change actual players completely. Then I don't think the is much Bruno can do, Nuno already set the team up to make it as easy for him as possible.

Some people overrated Adama way too much. The other two wingers got more goal contributions then him last season season in less minutes.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've been cutting back long before those issues though no? We didn't have FFP issues back in summer 2019, for example, did we? We weren't under any Uefa ffp rules as we hadn't kicked a ball in Europe yet. Since that summer we've barely broken even in any window. Makes me think that it's not just FFP, and that there has been a sea change in Fosun - possibly down to politics/waning interest. As for the interview with Johnny - must admit I find it hard to trust a word Shi says these days.

Fosun have just spent £255m to invest into Evil Genius to help grow the wolves brand in Esports. They wouldn't do that if they was losing interest

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Fosun have just spent £255m to invest into Evil Genius to help grow the wolves brand in Esports. They wouldn't do that if they was losing interest
They brought a stake in EG that values it at $225M they certainly didn't invest $225M into it. It's also a standalone investment it wasn't done to help Wolves they are just linking us with them to grow both brands.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore just isn't good enough and we will be better off investing his money elsewhere. He will never be more than a special teams like player brought on to change things up, he will never be a regular starter for any of the bigger sides.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because they knew they couldn’t because UEF FFP would be a problem.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again - IF we don’t get in to Europe this coming season, we’ll spend big next summer, free from the shackles of UEFA FFP.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had an £80m odd net spend in summer 2019, it just may not have seemed that way because £45m of that went on making Jimenez and Dendoncker’s loan deals permanent. In addition to those we signed Neto, Jordao and Cutrone followed by Podence in the January window.

It was only last season we had a low net spend by comparison to the previous 2 windows under Fosun - just under £10m per the after date notes in the last set of accounts (so bigger than most of our net spends in any season prior to Fosun still).

Also, by the summer 2019 window we would already have been aware of UEFA FFP issues as they base their calculations on the preceding 3 seasons as opposed to the preceding 2 and current like the PL meaning we already knew we’d have broken it and probably already been in dialogue with UEFA about what we’d likely have to do. We still had a decent net spend that summer though, even if the window itself wasn’t deemed overly successful by fans in terms of strengthening the team.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simple question then, knowing what you know about Adama, would you be happy with wolves spending £45m on him?
Great question!
I‘ve been saying for more than a year……would a top club really take a gamble on Adama? I doubt it unless they think they can coach him better than Nuno could.

Last edited:

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because they knew they couldn’t because UEF FFP would be a problem.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again - IF we don’t get in to Europe this coming season, we’ll spend big next summer, free from the shackles of UEFA FFP.
We will be spending big then as there is not a chance we’re qualifying for Europe

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simple? Really?
What if our transfer targets, (or their clubs), aren’t interested in a loan deal? Then what?
Lots of clubs are desperate for cold hard cash, right now and mightn’t wait.
There isn't cold hard cash floating around and a lot of clubs are struggling to pay wages imo.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are as many links on the BBC Sport site which gets it's information from the written press and on-line as there is on here. That is nothing, zilch, nowt, nada. What a boring transfer window this is turning out to be for Wolves. Cynically, the announcement of Trincao, which was generally accepted as a bit of a coup, now seems a sweetener for the rise in season tickets/car parking/match day tickets/loyalty points etc... No wonder many fans (me included) are apathetic at best about events at Mol. Hope this changes when the season starts and I am pleasantly surprised by our play!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There isn't cold hard cash floating around and a lot of clubs are struggling to pay wages imo.
Exactly! That was my point. You said loan deals would be simple and I disagreed. If a club is selling a player, they might prefer a lower fee now in cold hard cash rather than consider a loan deal where the money comes later.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keeping Adama and Neves, then loaning, or unearthing a decent defender and midfielder is by a million miles better than selling either or both of them and trying to replace them. We simply don’t improve selling our best players.

The dismissive attitude on here towards Traore is laughable. He, literally, takes entire teams on at will on his own. He’s a unique player and plays for us, and is just about to partner up again with one of the best forwards in world football.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keeping Adama and Neves, then loaning, or unearthing a decent defender and midfielder is by a million miles better than selling either or both of them and trying to replace them. We simply don’t improve selling our best players.

The dismissive attitude on here towards Traore is laughable. He, literally, takes entire teams on at will on his own. He’s a unique player and plays for us, and is just about to partner up again with one of the best forwards in world football.
I don’t get it. It’s completely barmy . Do people watch a different match. .

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of it adds up..... why get rid of Nuno to completely change our style with a different manager and give him no funds ?

why if your a manager do you take the job that was always going to be yours if you knew there would be sell to buy first? What happens if we don’t sell Adama and neves?

why do they always wait till the last minute to do deals ? Especially this summer when there is a completely different style being taught to the existing squad players not just bringing in new ones.

do we as a fans want to become a sell to buy club? How has everyone else being spending so much money? Are fosun really what’s best going forward?

finally :) how have we issues with ffp when we only spent what we sold last year (cav, costa jota, doc etc ) we still have 200 mill in tv revenue we shouldn’t have issues when tickets to game are only worth probably 10 million a year.

I’m hoping Jeff was right and by the end of the window we will be happy .... I just worry with a new style we will be playing serious catch up over the first few weeks of the season if players only arrive then.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
None of it adds up..... why get rid of Nuno to completely change our style with a different manager and give him no funds ?

why if your a manager do you take the job that was always going to be yours if you knew there would be sell to buy first? What happens if we don’t sell Adama and neves?

why do they always wait till the last minute to do deals ? Especially this summer when there is a completely different style being taught to the existing squad players not just bringing in new ones.

do we as a fans want to become a sell to buy club? How has everyone else being spending so much money? Are fosun really what’s best going forward?

finally :) how have we issues with ffp when we only spent what we sold last year (cav, costa jota, doc etc ) we still have 200 mill in tv revenue we shouldn’t have issues when tickets to game are only worth probably 10 million a year.

I’m hoping Jeff was right and by the end of the window we will be happy .... I just worry with a new style we will be playing serious catch up over the first few weeks of the season if players only arrive then.
I can sorta answer the FFP question

Wolverhampton Wanderers undertakes to report a maximum break-even deficit of 30 million euros in the financial year ending in 2020 and to finally reach, in the 2021-22 season, an aggregate break-even results for the financial years ending in 2019, 2020 and 2021 within the acceptable deviation.”

Thats the rules meaning that we can’t make a 30 million loss over the 3 years

WWFC swung from £20m profit before tax to £40m loss, as the pandemic led to revenue dropping £40m (23%) from £173m to £133m and profit on player sales fell £2m to £10m, while expenses rose £18m (11%), mainly due to investment in the squad. Loss after tax £39m.

Meaning we have to make some money counter act this

However we were down 40 million due to deffered patient of tv rights, so we would have mad w a small profit of we had that cash

And go answer why they take so long this article should help >>> What really goes on behind the scenes of a big football transfer

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question- Assuming we keep within the FFP budget and assuming don’t go down ( I have a bad feeling on that) then what does it mean we could spend next summer?

Back
Top Bottom