Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves vs Sheffield United - The verdict

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny! Same happened last season. In the restart, we got results against bottom placed clubs, but played really dour - just like now. There was some criticism by those saying we were negative, can't carry on like that, after 2 seasons needed to be developing our style etc. Of course those people were derided: "but look at the results". Then Nuno came out and said much the same thing after the Sevilla match :D

TBH I suppose it is a plus that Nuno sees it like it is. Bias is inevitable for fans. But not healthy for the manager. Making the correct decisions, it's vital he stays objective and sees the point blank reality unclouded by bias and inexperience. However, it is perplexing that he sees it, but I don't see any improvement yet. I suppose the 4 at the back is a genuine attempt to fix it. But I don't get how often we've used it against the better clubs and then switched to 5 at the back and sat back against the likes of Sheff U , who are, lets face it, a Championship club right now.

And that's really the only attempt I see - we go 4 at the back. Yet still sit back, defend and try and hit on the counter. Exactly the same as 5 at the back, only it doesn't work so well.

The slow starts, he keeps saying we have to change..but it never does change and based on last 2 matches against the poorest teams in the division (since Albions little burst), there isn't even an attempt to change it. Neither Fulham nor Sheff Utd "pinned us back". Neither is really capable of pinning back a side brim full of quality internationals. We sat back and must have chosen to play that way.
He is an excellent defensive manager with a good counter attack at pace, which is proven when we have a full squad.

But i just don’t think it is in him to do offensive and attacking possession based football. It feels like asking a turtle to become the hare......

i am just dismayed after now close to three seasons of not being a first half team, he still can’t fix it..... people can excuse it but the man himself says he doesn’t know why it happens and after so long it is clear he will never have the answers. And becoming a possession based team.... really, we look like strangers out there so often.

the championship squad “cheat code” season skews everything as he got neves, Jota, bonatini, Douglas, Miranda, ruddy, boly and to help when bonatini stopped scoring he was given Adobe....... he took over a far more capable and skilful team that achieved the minimum it should have achieved, winning the league as no one else had anything that came close to it.
It was such a good squad that with only a few changes it finished 7th in the prem and an FA cup semi final.

People compare nuno to lambert..... and how nuno took the same squad to the promise land..... total tosh...... when in reality it is like comparing night and day in terms of players and resources. It isn’t fair or even a close comparison because of the differences in the total ability of the squads.

People are happy and praised nuno when he let players go because they can’t take us to the next level like Douglas.... who was brutally cut off when he was a significant reason we got up.

but to suggest the club cannot do the same with the manager is madness!!

Silly Billy

Groupie
Reaction score
Well I always want Wolves to win, whoever the manger is, however 2x7 and a mid table, with lots of important injuries, means Nuno gets my support, 100%.
No pre season to implement his ideas, not having a full strength team at any point and playing 2 gruelling seasons haven't helped. No idea why people can't see it

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I always want Wolves to win, whoever the manger is, however 2x7th and a mid table, with lots of important injuries, means Nuno gets my support, 100%.
We all want wolves to win, I think that is something everyone wants at the end of the day.

am I happy we got the result last night 100% but I am equally as disappointed in the performance they put in and the season to date in terms of quality on the pitch.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Nuno has done a lot but he isn’t infallible and beyond any criticism. Your comment will be popular though as it hits all the right notes, stourport will be along shortly to give you a like I’m sure.
I’d happily have none at all. Frankly I’d do away with them personally

Last edited by a moderator:

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No pre season to implement his ideas, not having a full strength team at any point and playing 2 gruelling seasons haven't helped. No idea why people can't see it
Every team has injuries this season.....

I can see fatigue is a problem.... if only we weren’t the only team restricted to a small squad that the manager consciously makes smaller by only trusting 12/13 players.....

damn the anti-wolves premier league squad rules.....

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you put up a link, to show us a Wolves fan off here saying that they would want a New manager of Wolves to lose, If Nuno left?

Nuno to Spurs? New rumour

Got 3 likes, too. :D

To be clear, this is not a dig at those people. I think he's just got the insight and the guts to admit what is common in a lot of us. It's just normal really, we have our preferences.

McGhee stands out for me as the manager who, towards the end of his reign, I wasn't bothered if we lose as it was obvious he was taking us nowhere, was clueless and we needed someone new. Nuno is nowhere near that of course, again just to be clear.

Silly Billy

Groupie
Reaction score

I can see fatigue is a problem.... if only we weren’t the only team restricted to a small squad that the manager consciously makes smaller by only trusting 12/13 players.....

I agree the small squad is nunos mistake. However as you are so quick to point out his faults in this average season was you as quick to praise him during the good 3?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno to Spurs? New rumour

Got 3 likes, too. :D

To be clear, this is not a dig at those people. I think he's just got the insight and the guts to admit what is common in a lot of us. It's just normal really, we have our preferences.

McGhee stands out for me as the manager who, towards the end of his reign, I wasn't bothered if we lose as it was obvious he was taking us nowhere, was clueless and we needed someone new. Nuno is nowhere near that of course, again just to be clear.
Wanting the new manager to fail isn't necessarily the same as wanting the team to lose.

D

Deleted member 11332

Wanting the new manager to fail isn't necessarily the same as wanting the team to lose.

I want him to fail by winning every single game.

They are mutually exclusive, managers failure is purely to do with the teams results.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be the same next year then based on this as we won't have a preseason this year either.
Also the teams that suffered with injuries WORSE than we did will have their squads back to full strength.

They too will have fans back in the ground........

I don’t know why everyone thinks one summer where we lose a massive chunk of our squad to the euros, meaning next to no pre-season will make a massive difference as everyone is going back to normal not just wolves........

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Plus fans on a forum where people are saying nasty things about them playing badly, that the players blatantly don’t go read is killing morale.......
Exactly, not proper fans who attend games.

I have a 2/3 year old, reward them if they are good and discipline them if they are bad.
The same logic doesn’t work as a footballer though, reward and cheer if they are good and reward and cheer if they are bad otherwise your not a real fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also the teams that suffered with injuries WORSE than we did will have their squads back to full strength.

They too will have fans back in the ground........

I don’t know why everyone thinks one summer where we lose a massive chunk of our squad to the euros, meaning next to no pre-season will make a massive difference as everyone is going back to normal not just wolves........

It's really wishful thinking. I don't get it either, how just stopping for a few weeks is going to make us able to string 4 passes together more than once per game. Miraculously able to get 3 players in the opponents penalty area.

Mind you, you can guarantee our internationals will all look world class at the Euros!

On the bright side, if Nuno was seriously thinking of moving on, wouldn't he be trying to improve his CV a bit? The last few months do look like "fight for survival" mode, not sure he'd be that bothered if we was off to a bigger club in the summer. Maybe the Rio Ave or Guimaraes job will be available? Just looking at the Portugese league, they don't score many goals, 1 a match is the norm for most teams, so maybe Nuno would feel more at home there?

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly, not proper fans who attend games.

I have a 2/3 year old, reward them if they are good and discipline them if they are bad.
The same logic doesn’t work work as a footballer though, reward and cheer if they are good and reward and cheer if they are bad otherwise your not a real fan.
I deleted it as I didn’t think people would see the joke I was making......

thank god you read it as meant lol.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want him to fail by winning every single game.

They are mutually exclusive, managers failure is purely to do with the teams results.
Not necessarily. Some managers get good results but still have issues with the dressing room, board and/or fans.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's really wishful thinking. I don't get it either, how just stopping for a few weeks is going to make us able to string 4 passes together more than once per game. Miraculously able to get 3 players in the opponents penalty area.

Mind you, you can guarantee our internationals will all look world class at the Euros!

On the bright side, if Nuno was seriously thinking of moving on, wouldn't he be trying to improve his CV a bit? The last few months do look like "fight for survival" mode, not sure he'd be that bothered if we was off to a bigger club in the summer. Maybe the Rio Ave or Guimaraes job will be available?
Nuno has tried to change from defensive and failed miserably in the past.....

He did a great job in setting the foundations, he is one of the best in the game for defensive strategy that cannot be denied, but that has clearly sunk into the players as everything is safety first option or backwards and hardly anyone makes a move. Sadly when players like Ait Nouri or semedo do the attacking thing people attack them for not being defensively disciplined...... it is crazy, people are moaning about our only attack first players before we get to our front three currently.

but we want to attack and be a possession based team, we will be a very attractive opportunity and people will be ringing agents or even uncle Jorge to get them the job, as not many clubs can offer a manager what we can and will.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
2 ****s stole a catalytic converter off a car outside my house just after 2nd half kick off. What did I miss?
I am sure you would have no trouble getting volunteers of here to hold the thieving *******s down while you inserted the red hot cat right up the right orifice.
You missed a 10 % improvement in the second half.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Last nights game was a good job we were playing the worst team in the prem. Rubbish would be far too good for the commitment I saw on the pitch.
There is definitely something wrong with Podence.
Glad to see Jose getting an allowed goal.
Silva one chance and falls over again. 35 million? My ar#e. He will never make it.
I have been ridiculed for this but will say it again. Too much reliance on recruiting from a third world football system. They have three reasonable sides in the whole of their infrastructure and the rest wouldn’t get a game on our park pitch sides. Recruit from nearer home.

Silly Billy

Groupie
Reaction score
Last nights game was a good job we were playing the worst team in the prem. Rubbish would be far too good for the commitment I saw on the pitch.
There is definitely something wrong with Podence.
Glad to see Jose getting an allowed goal.
Silva one chance and falls over again. 35 million? My ar#e. He will never make it.
I have been ridiculed for this but will say it again. Too much reliance on recruiting from a third world football system. They have three reasonable sides in the whole of their infrastructure and the rest wouldn’t get a game on our park pitch sides. Recruit from nearer home.
Is that the same third world football system that has produced the second best player of this generation and the current European champions?

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score

Wolves have 16 players who have started at least 10 league matches and/or played at least 800 minutes. That includes Raul (who has been out since November), Willian (who has only been on the team since January), Boly (who has missed 14 matches), Podence (who has missed 11 matches), Neto (who will miss the final seven matches) and two teenagers.

Below that threshold is Marcal (who has missed 20 matches and counting), Jonny (who has missed 25 matches and counting), Vinagre (not at the club), Vitinha, MGW and two teenagers.

So who exactly was Nuno supposed to have played more to have avoided "consciously making the squad smaller" this season? The teenagers with no experience or the experienced guys wearing street clothes in a suite?

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have 16 players who have started at least 10 league matches and/or played at least 800 minutes. That includes Raul (who has been out since November), Willian (who has only been on the team since January), Boly (who has missed 14 matches), Podence (who has missed 11 matches), Neto (who will miss the final seven matches) and two teenagers.

Below that threshold is Marcal (who has missed 20 matches and counting), Jonny (who has missed 25 matches and counting), Vinagre (not at the club), Vitinha, MGW and two teenagers.

So who exactly was Nuno supposed to have played more to have avoided "consciously making the squad smaller" this season? The teenagers with no experience or the experienced guys wearing street clothes in a suite?
Nuno could have done the following;

1) expanded his squad over the summer knowing that the season was going to be longer and more intense. It wasn’t sprung on the club last minute. He didn’t have adequate numbers to rotate players causing them to have overuse injuries this campaign...... his lack of faith in kilman is responsible for boly’s problems as he didn’t rotate boly out when he was playing injured.....

2) actually trusted the players he signed to play more when they had shown good performances in Kilman or hoever.

3) trusted the youth in Vitinha, otasowie (made one mistake and been kicked out never to be seen again) and MGW when he returned from loan as why have them in the squad if you aren’t going to play them? Even have played Corbeanu in games like last week and last night against the leagues relegation fodder. We won’t know if they are good enough if they don’t play!!!

4) not signed Marcal as he has been a career sick note when you know players need rest. He got subbed off as the sub in one game for gods sake..... why sign a player to a small squad you know cannot stay fit.

Nuno last season and every season to date only uses the same players he trusts, some players like silva and RAN only have the minutes they have because Nuno had no choice, not because he trusts them when the team is fully fit and a game needs changing.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree the small squad is nunos mistake. However as you are so quick to point out his faults in this average season was you as quick to praise him during the good 3?
Yes I was....... because the team chased and harried teams could play exciting pass and move football and even with 5 at the back created good numbers of chances every week, we just didn’t finish them. And when we lost, nearly every time you couldn’t fault the desire and effort the players put in.... you can’t say that very often at all this season.

But that all has absolutely disappeared, I often say how good a team we were and the scale of the drop off is frightening in comparison.

it isn’t an average season.... the football has been a car crash on it..... we have regressed so far this season.

Silly Billy

Groupie
Reaction score
Yes I was....... because the team chased and harried teams could play exciting pass and move football and even with 5 at the back created good numbers of chances every week, we just didn’t finish them. And when we lost, nearly every time you couldn’t fault the desire and effort the players put in.... you can’t say that very often at all this season.

But that all has absolutely disappeared, I often say how good a team we were and the scale of the drop off is frightening in comparison.

it isn’t an average season.... the football has been a car crash on it..... we have regressed so far this season.
Car crash? We are 12th. Talk about self entitlement mate.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Car crash? We are 12th. Talk about self entitlement mate.
We are awful to watch..... how is that self entitlement? We are statistically the worst team in first half performances, worse than a relegated and soon to be relegated teams.....that isn’t a positive......

and conceded first in 19 games this season..... look at how few goals we have scored in OPEN play, let alone how few goals we score in total...... we have a team full of internationals even with injuries we have put a team out with 11 internationals nearly every week bar when RAN plays.....

And even Nuno says, he can’t understand why we don’t turn up in first halves.....

Relegated and relegated teams have more action in our third than we do in theirs.

how can you describe the football we are playing in terms that are slightly positive as we only turn up on average for 20 minutes a game.....

we have won points and stayed up which is great, but the performances are constantly very very poor. And many times this season we have been second and within the bottom 5 of the form table, far more than we have been in a top 6/10.....

do you talk to many people who aren’t wolves fans???? I can tell you I cant find one person who is slightly positive about how we play. One described us as the cure for insomnia and it is why we get so many 8pm Kick offs..... people used to enjoy watching us and feared us playing them, that isn’t happening anymore.....

Last edited:

Gold Blood

Groupie
Reaction score
did i read correctly that wolves are 3rd in the table based on 2nd half performances? Thats got to be one positive to look at instead of all the negatives.

Back
Top Bottom