Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves-Albion verdict - Why are we so soft? Men against boys

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
WBA first goal - no penalty - definitely outside box
WBA 2nd goal - elbow on Neves?
WBA 3rd goal - questionable penalty?

3 questionable decisions.

But that aside, they looked capable on the ball (I said they were).

First penalty I thought was outside but is probably right seeing the replay. Just an awful decision by Boly to make that challenge. No danger and the attacker is going away from goal.

Second goal. Not sure. Coady has to do better aerially.

Third goal. Penalty. Very slight touch but he definitely catches him. Again, doesn’t need to make the challenge. Just stand up and be difficult to beat.

I didn’t even think they were good on the ball. Just that their defenders were prepared to put their bodies on the line when defending. Kyle Bartley is an awful footballer but he showed guts and bravery when it was most needed today.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Need to man up, take it on the chin, get half of our team back from injury to our formation and style from the last 3 seasons and get back on with it. 3 points at the Hawthorns please.

No need for knee jerk emotional falling apart.
From what Nuno said after the match I doubt he will go back to the 3, much as I'd like to see it.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We conceded 3 at home to west Brom. We deserved to lose.

I still can't believe we managed to...I've gone back to bed

I don't know what the answers are. It's plain to see that something isn't working.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, that was ****.

A lack of urgency from most of the team during the match. Neto, Silva and Traore are the only ones for me who come out with any credit.

Defensively we were all over the place. Coady was subbed for Ait-Nouri, but to be honest it could have been him, Boly, or Saiss.

Neves and Moutinho were both very poor.

What's happening with our throw-ins? We take forever, no movement, then give the ball away immediately.

And what happened to Santo? Every time the camera went to him he was sat down looking lost. Usually, he's on the touchline giving orders and encouragement. This is our biggest derby. Fine words before the game, but you've got to lead the team during the battle. Maybe he was on the touchline and the camera just happened to go on him when he sat down and I'm being harsh. It didn't look good.

Get back to 3-4-3. We might still struggle to score but at least we might concede fewer goals. The commentator asked what's missing and Hoddle said Jimenez. Well, even if he was in the team we would still be 12 games without a clean sheet. We've conceded three goals against Brighton and now three to the ****. That's rubbish.

And for any fans who say we shouldn't overact on here, if you can't overreact after that performance then I don't know what to say. Fans need a place to vent their frustration. I just glad there weren't fans in the stadium at the final whistle.

Man of the match I'll go for Silva, with Traore a close second. A well-taken goal, he worked hard and linked up well. A bright spot on a dark and miserable day.

Last edited:

Deltawolf

Groupie
Reaction score
First half good, Second half, poor. Unlucky though with both pens. First one clearly outside box. Good link up play in spells especially first half. Luck not with us today. No need for melt downs yet but feeling angry and upset.
Patricia 7
Body 7
Cody 5
Saiss 6
Semedo 8
Moutinho 5
Neves 5
Dendonker 6
Traore 7
Silva 7
Neto 7
Subs:
Gibbs-White 5
Ait Nouri 6
Cutrone not enough time on to rate.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very poor. When did you start supporting Wolves? 2018?
While I agree he shouldn't be canned. He needs to adapt before the question becomes Nuno or Neto/Neves/Adama/Raul?

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As we recognise the better teams on paper don’t always win, especially in derbies. This result had been coming based on form and injuries. If you look at the game today, it’s more about us performing horribly, than a superb Albion performance, two marginal penalties (wouldn’t have been a big outcry if not awarded) when no real danger & a good old long throw. Amazing what a few minutes on the training ground can do.

D

Deleted member 5276

Sorry Nuno but I sincerely hope you are out of job by tonight.

As for me, that's me finishing with Wolves. I dont live there, nowhere the city, it is not worth the mental anguish.
Really pathetic and ridiculous post.
We don't need "support" like this. *******' glory hunters who are only happy when the club is winning and nothing else.

You ain't a Wolves supporter.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Can we all note they had more injuries than us today.... and didn’t have their best keeper who has most saves in the division.

we had a much better squad even with a few missing....

Nuno ****ed it, it shows he has lost the magic and it is time to go......

being out coached by big Sam and making us look like the relegation fodder is the final straw.

Don’t think we were out-coached. We are just making ridiculous individual mistakes which are absolutely killing us right now.

Moutinho’s brain fade at Brighton. Two from Coady and Boly today which as a Coach, you can’t legislate for.

If Nuno doesn’t go back to a three at the back after this run, then I’ll be start to get really worried.

R

reanswolf

As we recognise the better teams on paper don’t always win, especially in derbies. This result had been coming based on form and injuries. If you look at the game today, it’s more about us performing horribly, than a superb Albion performance, two marginal penalties (wouldn’t have been a big outcry if not awarded) when no real danger & a good old long throw. Amazing what a few minutes on the training ground can do.
Always physically bigger than us I find, Albion players.
This is why I say we just too soft.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My lord, some of the posts on here.
Well, I’m made of sterner stuff that many on here. A bad run of results doesn’t make me go weak at the knees or disparage Nuno or the players.
I am happy to take the highs with Wolves.....won’t act like a child when there’s a bad run of games.

Nobody at Wolves expects blind loyalty from the fans but loyalty would be nice. For me , loyalty is not like a jacket that I can just shrug off when the going gets a tiny bit tough.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defensively frail against any height with the slightest occasional pressure, midfield hmmm (Joao past it), attack just so lightweight.

Not beaten by skill, but you wouldn't expect them to be with the money we have spent, but by a few moments of sillyness.
Its no surprise to me we lose to these, actually expected to lose.

Thank **** no fans there see this. Relegation struggle for us too, maybe in all honesty. Just too suspect & lightweight all round
Coady no good in back 4 I'm afraid, Moutinho too weak now, up front we all know - ****e.
Ok it took 2 very dodgy penalty decisions but no excuses, we were dire. ALL self-inflicted this is. Apart from injuries.

Thank **** for lockdown. 2 wins in 20 years continues. We are just so ****** soft.
Oh well onto the next one.
Men against boys?
It's the Men who let us down again. We conceded 3. How from that?
We had 24 shots on target. How many were donk straight at the keeper? Boly and coady ain't boys. Neves ain't a boy. Yet we concede three goals due to their mistakes.
The side we put out had a portuguese international keeper, former barcelona right back an England international, Boly and saiss. Men not boys. Neves, donk, moutinho; not exactly inexperienced? But it's easier to roll out the cliches than do something about it.

Neto and Fabio silva our two youngest were for me our best players. Yet again, the men have dropped their standards(see Brighton), but we'll all be bitching about Fabio Silva afterwards.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half good, Second half, poor. Unlucky though with both pens. First lne clearly outside box. Good link up llay in spells especially first half. Luck not with us today. No need for melt downs yet.
Patricia 7
Body 7
Cody 5
Saiss 6
Semedo 8
Moutinho 5
Neves 5
Dendonker 6
Traore 7
Silva 7
Neto 7
Subs:
Gibbs-White 5
Ait Nouri 6
Cutrone not enough time on to rate.
He body checked him. He forgot he was playing the better kind of football.

Writer Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Gone from mild boredom over what looked like a mid-table finish to being genuinely worried about a freefall into the relegation zone, all within 90 minutes. Worrying times.

I think Nuno is amazing but there's something rumbling beneath the surface that's not right. Despite the injuries, the pandemic hardships, and the lack of a proper pre-season, we shouldn't be in this position and run of form.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
I admit I was wrong. It has to be five at the back from now on, with Donk alongside either Neves or Moutinho. We were poor so shouldn't complain about Oliver but how they got two penalties and got away with a hand ball I'll never understand. Nuno needs to go out and drown his sorrows and after a hang over tomorrow get back to basics on Monday, starting with shooting practice for everyone for two hours - or whenever they hit the target, whichever is first!

Final comment - this hasn't helped Dry January one bit!
No Moutinho ever again please. He is more of an advantage for our opponents

Biffana wolf

Reaction score
For me defence is our biggest weakness, said hundreds of time two converted midfielder is ok in a 5 but not when you have 2 defence minded midfielders as that make it you have 8 defending.
Two years ago we needed two centre half an attacking midfielder and a striker same as now.
Yes we have had injuries but we had a full squad against West ham and lost 4 nil
Can nuno turn it around. No I don't think so we bought for playing 5 and we just can't do it.
Do all our portuguese players know how much this hurts no.

Reactions: Ian

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was nice while it lasted.
Hoping we at least scrape survival and top Mad Micks 3 seasons in the Premier League.
But if Fosun do not overhaul the squad and club this summer, then it's curtains next season.
The stars we had in the last 3 seasons are primed and ready to sell at a profit. Fosun will be making a nice return on investment when they sell off the assets.
Shi is notable by his absence. He's now the CEO who doesn't want to get splattered when the excrement hits the fan.

As I said, it was nice while it lasted. It's now a business decision. No-one gives a **** about Wolverhampton the town (oops sorry, City).
At least, don't expect Fosun to. It's purely business.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted but I'm going to try using my head. Here goes... Nuno can't go for the following reasons:

1) he's a good manager going through a bad patch, not a bad manager who has consistently overperformed for 3 seasons - this is the problem when you elevate someone to untouchable status based on faith ('in Nuno we trust' etc as a mantra), when you do that there's no room for rational appraisal of what happens when your faith stops explaining what your eyes are telling you, it's all either incredibly good or incredibly bad / love or hate / blind optimism or cripling pessimism
2) who else are we gonna get and did we not learn our lesson after that 5:1?
3) now that we've filled the squad with Portuguese players we need a Portuguese manager; without one I foresee problems.

That said, we were ****e today. Weak in the air, daft decision making at the back, random desperate changes by Nuno (what's happened to the 'idea'), and missing any real threat up front. Last season's side would have beaten the ****, they knew the system, had the players to play it, and had more grit with Doc, Jota, and Raul out there. We're in a relegation battle and need a CF now.

Corporal Hicks

Groupie
Reaction score
Gutted, absolutely gutted....angry and upset, where do we go from here?
I thought we were border line in danger turn of the year but we are now. I called the Everton loss and this, I can’t see us repeating the Chelsea shock and to be honest having beat Palace twice already this year I just know it will be 3rd time unlucky.
Who knows what damage those substitutions will have done to morale, Coady looked incensed.
Not sure who could replace Nuno if there was a parting of ways, a big call by Fosun now...back him or bid farewell, if you part ways it has to be now though to give the next guy time to turn it around. Tough call as whilst I don’t want Nuno to go he’s struggling one way or another.
Regardless of whether we stay up or not a number of our higher profile players won’t be here next season....enjoy seeing Neto on the team sheet whilst it lasts.
The Europa league feels like a long time ago.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
Playing Coady on the left was a massive error from Nuno. He was awful all game.

They showed more heart all bloody game. We've got some great players but it's so worrying about how we're playing. We're going backwards at the minute.

Vitinha must be wondering why he bothered coming if he can't get into that midfield.

Reactions: Ian

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
we all know what happened the last time we had a bad home defeat to albion
only nuno is an honourable man and i can see him offering jeff his resignation this weekend

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just lost to one of the worst teams the Premier League has ever seen, who didn't even have to do much to score their 3 goals and probably won't win another game for weeks, I thought they were pretty **** and still we are our own worst enemies yet again.

We are so soft, so ****ing lightweight, no winners in this team, no one who hates losing as I said in my thread from a few weeks ago, too many mistakes, not switched on to second balls, too sloppy with our control and passing, defensive positioning all over the place, and a complete lack of desire for a derby game, top teams show desire against every opponent they play, we can't even do it against these ****s, that was atrocious.

Defensively we were all over the place until Coady went off, he had a real shocker and should never play in a back 4 again, in midfield they just waltzed passed us like most teams have this season, no pace or strength in the there, and then Neves gets taken off, why? Mouts is the one who has been struggling, don't know if he was injured but he didn't look it. Every time a team gets near our box we look panicked and usually concede, I dread giving away corners and free kicks, it's just not good enough.

Embarrassing performance, these players need to grow some ****ing balls and show some fight ffs

Biffana wolf

Reaction score
Need to man up, take it on the chin, get half of our team back from injury to our formation and style from the last 3 seasons and get back on with it. 3 points at the Hawthorns please.

No need for knee jerk emotional falling apart.
We had a full team out at West ham and lost 4-0

R

reanswolf

Men against boys?
It's the Men who let us down again. We conceded 3. How from that?
We had 24 shots on target. How many were donk straight at the keeper? Boly and coady ain't boys. Neves ain't a boy. Yet we concede three goals due to their mistakes.
The side we put out had a portuguese international keeper, former barcelona right back an England international, Boly and saiss. Men not boys. Neves, donk, moutinho; not exactly inexperienced? But it's easier to roll out the cliches than do something about it.

Neto and Fabio silva our two youngest were for me our best players. Yet again, the men have dropped their standards(see Brighton), but we'll all be bitching about Fabio Silva afterwards.
But it was still like men against boys when it counted.
Big physical players who win challenges when it counted.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is a terrible period but nothing appears to be going our way at all. Three awful goals to give away and we are so lacking in confidence that I couldn't see us coming back. Think we can all see that Cutrone and Silva aren't the answer and MGW is not good enough. I think we need to go back to five at the back for the foreseeable future just to make us competitive again and keep games tighter.

I'm still fully behind Nuno, although he looks a shadow of his self at the moment. Wish this fake season was over with. We've got to steady the ship, solidify our place in the Premier League and start again next season. Hopefully with Nuno at the helm. I hope his doesn't walk away and I hope he's not pushed. He needs to see a full Molineux behind him and he needs to see his family again. Hope we can all make it to next season. For what it's worth, out man of the match was Traore.
Totally agree, go back to what worked in the past 2 seasons and tick over until our fans return. It's hard for everyone mentally, and it wouldn't surprise me if the season was voided.

Back
Top Bottom