Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts on where this situation will go for football.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But I think we all know and accept that away season ticket holders are the greatest of fans. They’re the most loyal, intelligent, and dare I say most handsome of fans. They’re such fine specimens of humanity that they’re probably immune to coronavirus anyway. If anything they’d be doing the club a favour by attending. The players would be safer in their proximity.
Take your tongue out of your cheek and stop fishing. Alternatively, find a new dealer.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding fans back in the ground, I’ve said it before... allow only the away season ticket holders in.

There are 8 sections at Molineux if you filter by tiers/stands, 200 per stand should be able to comply with social distancing. Boom. Job done.
I actually start to think that you are serious. An away season ticket relates to away matches only. Any attempt by the club to pull the stunt you mention could and should face immediate legal action by all other season ticket holders.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think we either have all the fans in the ground, or no fans at all. You can’t pick and choose which fans get to watch and which don’t. I think the longer this crisis goes on the more in favour I am of scrapping the current season and just waiting. I think it’s crazy to be even thinking of playing matches when hundreds are still dying every day.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we either have all the fans in the ground, or no fans at all. You can’t pick and choose which fans get to watch and which don’t. I think the longer this crisis goes on the more in favour I am of scrapping the current season and just waiting. I think it’s crazy to be even thinking of playing matches when hundreds are still dying every day.

It will be no fans -and that might be true until there's a vaccine which could be a long time.

But there will be a tipping point when the government thinks it will be good for morale for games to be played closed doors.Problem then is social.gatherings to watch the games.

It looks as tho EUFA are serious about finishing the CL.and EL in August .

So we have two chances of getting into the CL .

All.eyes on the Bundesliga who plan to restart in three weeks subject to government approval.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like season 20/21 won’t happen now, leaving time to complete 19/20 behind closed doors. If mass gatherings can re-commence early next year, maybe the euro play offs and fa and league cups can take place prior to the euro 2021 tournament?

My position is clear.
No vaccin,and the positive effects it will have on the pandemic..no football.
So,for me the question is how long this will take?
Nobody knows of course,but it remains unrealistic to think it will take less than 18 months I recon.
This means no football until autumn 21..at the very best.Even the Euro tournament will probably be scrapped at this moment in time.
Time will tell,but realistically it looks something like this from where I am sitting.

W

WOMWOL

Assuming the season can't be finished and a decision is made to complete the league table based on 'sporting merit ' relegating the bottom 3 clubs, what can the 3 actually do about it?

My understanding is that the PL is a club with each member getting one vote. If a 75% threshold is reached to relegate them, what can they do?

Had a quick scan of the the villa forums and they are desperate for the season to be voided. Failing that they want the PL expanded to 22 clubs with the top 2 from the championship promoted. Basically, they back anything that saves their skin.

They are quick to argue that they would sue if things don't go their way, but on what grounds? The PL is a club. If a vote doesn't go their way, then tough. Surely?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming the season can't be finished and a decision is made to complete the league table based on 'sporting merit ' relegating the bottom 3 clubs, what can the 3 actually do about it?

My understanding is that the PL is a club with each member getting one vote. If a 75% threshold is reached to relegate them, what can they do?

Had a quick scan of the the villa forums and they are desperate for the season to be voided. Failing that they want the PL expanded to 22 clubs with the top 2 from the championship promoted. Basically, they back anything that saves their skin.

They are quick to argue that they would sue if things don't go their way, but on what grounds? The PL is a club. If a vote doesn't go their way, then tough. Surely?

The argument would likely be that decisions taken were not rational and were contrary to natural justice and legitimate expectations (see link). The fact that the EPL has repeatedly said that it intends to complete the season is very germane to the last point.

Currently the legal precedent is that judicial review cannot be used against sport governing bodies (but de facto the same principles are expected to be applied) but that is itself under challenge by legal experts.

Last edited:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never liked Villa , or any of the other Midland's clubs....but let's be honest here, if we were in the bottom 3 , we would be the last to pat the PL on the back and say good decision to end the season and relegate us

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All eyes need to be on the Bundesliga, as decisions there will be a pivot. If they are allowed to resume (which is by no means a given right now) then other leagues will start to push hard. Even though Germany seem to have managed their outbreak far better than other countries, it still beggars belief they're considering this.

The head of the league has stated (in his opinion) that around twenty clubs over the top two divisions will fold if they aren't allowed to restart. Chances are they'll go to the wall anyway if fans aren't allowed back in stadiums properly come August. Plain speaking or scaremongering to push it forward?

With hundreds of deaths still being recorded each day here, I think we'll be the last league to start again, but - as mad as it sounds - I'm beginning to think they're going to go all out to stage closed doors matches through June. Won't help smaller clubs, but the PL will go for it full on, I think.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding fans back in the ground, I’ve said it before... allow only the away season ticket holders in.

There are 8 sections at Molineux if you filter by tiers/stands, 200 per stand should be able to comply with social distancing. Boom. Job done.
But I think they may give priority to those, who can prove they completed the 2003 Pannini Wolves team, those who can prove they stay till the end of added time, and those who live within 3 miles of the ground.

You know it makes sense

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting question is how each club will vote on resumption.

I assume Liverpool who will want to.win it fair and square will vote to resume as will the three at the bottom.

The others in the top four -Manc,Leicester and Chelski might vote to end as they will qualify for CL.

But those who have a chance of CL or EL Manure,us,Sheffield u,Arsenal ,Spurs ,Burnley,Palace maybe Everton will want to resume.

The club's outside the bottom three -Watford ,West Ham ,Brighton will vote to end.

As to the rest ,Newcastle,Sourhampton etc the key will be whether they fear ending will lose them money .

May not be 14votes to resume but certainly isn't to end.

Last edited:

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will cost big bucks if they just end it. Apart from obvious loss of matchday income sponsors will want a rebate for reduced exposure and the big one, Sky will expect a massive reduction for only getting 3/4 of a season and no actual climax. No one likes to miss out on that!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
It will cost big bucks if they just end it. Apart from obvious loss of matchday income sponsors will want a rebate for reduced exposure and the big one, Sky will expect a massive reduction for only getting 3/4 of a season and no actual climax. No one likes to miss out on that!
I did hear the other day that rather than Sky/BT clawing back money this year their existing contracts would be extended by a further 12 months .
This would help clubs from not having to pay money back and help the Companies with them getting a further year at the existing rate before any new deal kicks in .
No doubt UEFA will argue that this is unethical and come up with some spurious argument why this can’t happen so as to squeeze yet more money out of the subscription payers .

W

WOMWOL

The argument would likely be that decisions taken were not rational and were contrary to natural justice and legitimate expectations (see link). The fact that the EPL has repeatedly said that it intends to complete the season is very germane to the last point.

Currently the legal precedent is that judicial review cannot be used against sport governing bodies (but de facto the same principles are expected to be applied) but that is itself under challenge by legal experts.
• is unreasonable, in the sense that it is irrational, perverse, arbitrary or capricious

I would agree that a decision to relegate now would be arbitrary but it wouldn't be irrational, perverse or capricious given where we are. It would be perverse to reward failure (by allowing those in the bottom 3 to survive) and punish success (denying Leeds or WBA promotion). Yes, it could be argued the decision was capricious but there is no precedent. We've never completed 75% of a season before. Similarly for irrational.

I think they would lose the argument. Here's hoping that the season is played out to a conclusion

W

WOMWOL

Interesting question is how each club will vote on resumption.

I assume Liverpool who will want to.win it fair and square will vote to resume as will the three at the bottom.

The others in the top four -Manc,Leicester and Chelski might vote to end as they will qualify for CL.

But those who have a chance of CL or EL Manure,us,Sheffield u,Arsenal ,Spurs ,Burnley,Palace maybe Everton will want to resume.

The club's outside the bottom three -Watford ,West Ham ,Brighton will vote to end.

As to the rest ,Newcastle,Sourhampton etc the key will be whether they fear ending will lose them money .

May not be 14votes to resume but certainly isn't to end.
Assuming, it's not possible to play to conclusion, I believe that if it comes to a vote then the bottom 3 are doomed. It may go through a few rounds to whittle down the options but if it comes down to void or complete the table, then it won't be to void.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually start to think that you are serious. An away season ticket relates to away matches only. Any attempt by the club to pull the stunt you mention could and should face immediate legal action by all other season ticket holders.
The away season ticket holders would be doing everyone a favour, bravely risking their own health to cheer on the team and make it a more enjoyable experience for all instead of an empty stadium.

You should be applauding their sacrifice.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I miss it..football.
I´d settle for any competitive match to watch right now..with or without people in attendance.
I just miss the bloody thing.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup. No promotions, no relegations, Europe determined by current league position. Start of next season is a problem too as sport is banned until September here.
Any chance of legal action? I read that club who’ve missed out on promotion were 11 points clear.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be hopping mad if I supported them, even though the financial rewards are less
Me too. Imaging being a fan and your looking at getting promoted and it’s snatched away.

D

Deleted member 11157

The days of footballers on silly ages are gone. Bring it on ..

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup. No promotions, no relegations, Europe determined by current league position. Start of next season is a problem too as sport is banned until September here.
Why abandon the league now when there is no way of knowing when the new season will start? I just don't get it. I also see that the top team in your Championship are 13 pts clear and they will not now be promoted; legal action maybe?

D

Deleted member 5962

Why abandon the league now when there is no way of knowing when the new season will start? I just don't get it. I also see that the top team in your Championship are 13 pts clear and they will not now be promoted; legal action maybe?

Government has killed any chance of this season finishing by banning sport until september. Only way it was going to work after that was either having the standings as they were with or without promotion and relegation.

D

Deleted member 5962

Seems incredibly unfair that Ajax and Alkmaar get rewarded with champions league yet Cambuur get robbed of promotion.

I agree.

Tbh, kinda concerned something similar might happen with the prem, meaning Villa escape the drop via an act of God.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Government has killed any chance of this season finishing by banning sport until september. Only way it was going to work after that was either having the standings as they were with or without promotion and relegation.
Another option surely, which is what I hope will happen here, is that in Sep or whenever they finish the league behind closed doors. Then they can plan for a new season.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sun says PM briefed on return of sport inc Prem.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
B

BDWN_Wolf

Just said on Talk Sport PL could be back in weeks. God I hope this can be facilitated, pessimist as I am about it, it would be huge boost to everyone's morale. I don't care if its BCD, just to see the boys together again playing....lets begin to dream

W

WOMWOL

I think there's legs on this. Government speaking to CMOs of various sports with intention of resumption providing cases/deaths continue dropping. We will have sufficient testing capacity. Bring it on

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky and BT understandably won't agree to Governments conditions of free screening so PL.are attempting to find compromise .

Sky and BT said to have paid £421 million for the remaining games inc all the important end of season games and they would want their money back from the club's.And there are penalty clauses in the contracts.

One compromise is to screen the not so important games for free and keep the rest for payment.

EFL contract has no penalty clauses.

Over to Bundesliga -if they can make it work without reigniting virus then it could be on to finish by end July with CL and EL in August .

Back
Top Bottom