Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leicester Verdict

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Decent point. Leicester offered absolutely nothing in the final 3rd, long range shots all game basically. We had by far the better chances and should have taken one but after 6k miles in the week a point is a good result.
Some absolute criminal posters on here though.

AntonusKlesk

Groupie
Reaction score
Good point in the end, not too sure of the rule now on handball, the arm wasn't in an unnatural position, but it did make his silhouette larger (but a completely natural position due to falling backwards). On the plus side, I was convinced Bennett on Vardy would have been given as a pen.

Is there actually a process done for analysing and disciplining refs based on their conduct/performance? Because that was truly one sided, and appeared bias.

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point. Yes VAR disallowed a fair goal but at the end of the day Leicester dominated and could easily have scored 2 or 3 in those last 15-20 minutes after we understandably tired from a 6,000 mile round trip. Ndidi is an absolute rock of a player, it's like playing against a more athletic Boly in midfield. I think when we look back, this will be an important point that could easily have been three because we more than matched them in terms of chances despite getting barely anything from Mariner who didn't give our players any protection against a physical Leicester side.

With Pyunik on Thursday with what will likely be a weakened side then Man United at home on Monday, we need to keep the momentum going with that Torino game on the horizon that could shape our season. I'm relieved more than anything to be coming away with a point given the way the game ended, but we had as many big chances as Leicester did to win the game.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1 point ahead of last season (lost 2-0 to Leicester away - not comparing vs Everton at home).

VAR rule correct (although disappointing).

Onto Man Utd in league. Looking forward to that one and seeing 9-10 different players in Europa League.

siwolf80

Reaction score
Not the best performance, though Jota ran and ran but needed a bit more calmness when it mattered.

Boly was brilliant, disappointed about the none goal but believe it's the right decision to disallow it.

On a positive note its 1 point we failed to get last season in the same fixture.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester will feel mighty relieved to come away with a point. Had lots of possession but I can’t think of a single moment other than a couple of balls flashed across the box where they looked like scoring. We of course did manage to score.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. VAR is awful for football, 90 seconds to overturn a decision is NOT quick enough. It’s been brought in for the armchair FIFA generation and not for the fans in the ground. The best part of going to football is the explosion of excitement (innuendo unintended) when you score, not going back and forth. This is why goal line technology works, it’s instantaneous.

I’d have taken a point before kickoff so I’m relatively content. But knowing we should have come away with three points but for being penalized on a technicality by a flawed rule is frustrating.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As soon as adverts are on every time we have the stupid VAR hold-ups football as we know it will be finished.
They were talking about it on SKY last week and surprisingly the 2 footballers said if we get adverts like in the cricket we'll get used to it.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with a point away from home to a good Leicester team.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Marriner awful. Got worse and worse. Didn't notice him much first half but countless times Leicester players went through the back of our attackers and he just ignored it (or was too incompetent to pick it up) and some if the non-events that he gave free kicks the other way for were laughable. I almost never comment on refs.

Fine with the VAR decision. Bit wounded that it would have been a goal but one league game ago but happy with the rule, the way it was given and the fairness of it all.

Leicester lacked goal threat but they could be down to how immense Boly was and how easy Patricio makes goalkeeping look.

We looked tired which is both understandable and worrying for the season ahead. Gotta change it up wholseale for a Thursday given the scoreline and an intense upcoming fixture list.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Vinagre for Doc considering the latter came off with an icepack on his knee just 4 days ago. I also would have played a weaker squad against Pyunik to keep this squad fresh.
I daresay Nuno has a better idea on his players fitness levels than you. Just a suggestion.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very harsh with the Var decision. I watched on an Arabic stream so did not hear any commentary. I guess it was ruled out for touching Bolly's arm?

It's a point on the board. And it's one point more than we got last season. That's a good point after a 6000 mile round trip.

It will give them the opportunity to play the 2nd string on Thursday.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Good point. Yes VAR disallowed a fair goal but at the end of the day Leicester dominated and could easily have scored 2 or 3 in those last 15-20 minutes after we understandably tired from a 6,000 mile round trip. Ndidi is an absolute rock of a player, it's like playing against a more athletic Boly in midfield. I think when we look back, this will be an important point that could easily have been three because we more than matched them in terms of chances despite getting barely anything from Mariner who didn't give our players any protection against a physical Leicester side.

With Pyunik on Thursday with what will likely be a weakened side then Man United at home on Monday, we need to keep the momentum going with that Torino game on the horizon that could shape our season. I'm relieved more than anything to be coming away with a point given the way the game ended, but we had as many big chances as Leicester did to win the game.
Had 0 shots on target but could have scored 2 or 3. No clue how you worked that one out.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Vinagre for Doc considering the latter came off with an icepack on his knee just 4 days ago. I also would have played a weaker squad against Pyunik to keep this squad fresh.

Think its likely Nuno played the stronger team in 1st leg to get the away goals and will go weaker on Thursday at Molineux. 5 or 6 changes at least I think for a rest prior to United at home.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
I thought considering all the travel the team has had over the summer, we played really well. Yes, we made some simple errors and reacted a split second off. I can forgive that as the effort as usual was there.

On another day, Jota would have put his away, Raul his. We would be celebrating a victory.

For me, a 0-0 considering to Leicester was good.

Boly Motm by a mile.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
A good point imo, already better than last season. We had rusty legs, tiredness, but still went away from home and got a point. Early last season we may have lost that type of game... Happy days imo.
We got a point first game last season too

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boly MOM for us. 1st half very ordinary. Then we were much better start of the 2nd and even before our "goal", Jiminez should have scored but chose to bring the ball back on his right with just a wee gap between Schmeichal and the post to aim at, when taking it earlier with his left would have meant he had half an empty goal to aim at! Then we score and the most stupidest rule change in the history of football ever!!!! and this stupid bloody implementation of VAR, even when there was not a clear and obvious error and none of their players disputed the goal, contrive to chalk it off! ****ing daft this. We might as well give up and go home! **** this stupid bloody game!

R

reanswolf

Leicester will feel mighty relieved to come away with a point. Had lots of possession but I can’t think of a single moment other than a couple of balls flashed across the box where they looked like scoring. We of course did manage to score.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. VAR is awful for football, 90 seconds to overturn a decision is NOT quick enough. It’s been brought in for the armchair FIFA generation and not for the fans in the ground. The best part of going to football is the explosion of excitement (innuendo unintended) when you score, not going back and forth. This is why goal line technology works, it’s instantaneous.

I’d have taken a point before kickoff so I’m relatively content. But knowing we should have come away with three points but for being penalized on a technicality by a flawed rule is frustrating.
I doubt they are relieved, they will feel they should have made more of all their possession, though we also had a few very good chances.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
I'm gobsmacked that the consensus is that VAR is correct. Imagine if Dendoncker had headed the ball onto the hand of the Leicester defender from point blank range instead of Boly. Do you give a handball and a penalty for that? Would you accept a penalty given at the other hand if a Leicester attacker headed onto the hand of our defender from so close? Where's the common sense?

The rule is stupid however it was correctly interpreted.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt they are relieved, they will feel they should have made more of all their possession, though we also had a few very good chances.

I think in terms of clear cut chances (and a goal) we created more.

They cranked the pressure up for 5/10 minutes towards the end, but it was too little too late, last year they come away with zero points.

Jez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good point

Yes of course we’re all disappointed especially after scoring what appeared to be a good goal.

However, as good as VAR will be, it’s still down to opinions.
Was a handball in the box at yesterday’s game at Spuds, yet that was ignored !?

It’s the consistency that needs implementing correctly

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Who would you have brought in today to start?
No one. I promise I’m not trying to be negative, but we haven’t bought anyone in over the summer to improve the first team. Cav gone, replaced by Cutrone- fair enough. The young lads from Lazio- no one really knows much about them. Defence strengthened slightly- midfield as is. I still think we have a good squad, but last year’s first team plus two better players really would have put us in with a shout of top 6 or 7. Preying to God we don’t get any injuries to key players, or we’re stuffed.

D

Deleted member 4436

I can't believe people are backing VAR. We don't have the capabilities for VAR to be implemented yet, including: refs, understanding of the rules, operators etc.
--

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:
  • directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Classic Wolves away performance. Give them all the ball and look at get them on the counter.

Leicester created absolutely nothing and we got behind them countless times. Another day that could have been two or three nil.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Change of rules means that goal now will Lways be disallowed any hand or arm even unintentional is against the law. But how ridiculous feeling a bit robbed was a great goal fro, donck

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We looked shattered and Im hoping it was just due to the travelling that we wasn’t at the races today.

However what is a concern is that when Dendoncker, Doherty and Johnny are having off days Jota and Raul have no support at all and we are effectively playing with 8 defenders and only 2 attacking so it come down to Jota to create every chance we had by himself, if that happens often we will burn him out or teams will double up on him

Noweimannnocry

Reaction score
Var or no Var, if our front two's finishing was at just 70% we would have won!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5635

Boly was our defence today superb

Everybody apart from Boly and Patricio looked knackered heavy touches and slow(Armenia definitely took it out of them)

Ref gave every little decision to Leicester (VAR was correct under new rules so no issue as long as it’s consistent)

One thing I don’t like about VAR is it will take away the excitement of celebrating as you can never be sure.

Thursday coming we need to play a completely different 11 if possible just to give some players a rest.

Back
Top Bottom