Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Matchday Pub Adviser

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it would be good to have a thread where we discuss the pubs/bars available on a matchday. Particularly as town will be rammed all season. I went in the Grainstore before the Everton match.

Grainstore

Pros
Nice area out the back, not too mobbed. Though decorated with strange fake foliage. 10% off for season ticket holders, think it was c£3 per pint. Toilets fairly decent.

Cons
Took a while to get served. No real policy on whether you got a glass or a plastic glass, just depended on who served you.

Rating
3.5/5

W

wolvesultra

Wasn't drinking Saturday but heard town was a nightmare to get a drink.

Spoke to two pals who (seperatly) both gave up on town and the northbank bar and went in the ground well early for a drink.

Can see me drinking locally and jumping on the tram, last minute a lot more this season.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Cup of tea in the Wulfrun Centre Cafe as always, unless we go the Polish Cafe this end of the Mander Centre lower :)

Ooops forgot the pro's & con's -

Pro's - lots of space, friendly, can get a seat easily, can hear what is being said, etc.

Con's - I don't think any but I'm sure others will disagree.

Last edited:

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it would be good to have a thread where we discuss the pubs/bars available on a matchday. Particularly as town will be rammed all season. I went in the Grainstore before the Everton match.

Grainstore

Pros
Nice area out the back, not too mobbed. Though decorated with strange fake foliage. 10% off for season ticket holders, think it was c£3 per pint. Toilets fairly decent.

Cons
Took a while to get served. No real policy on whether you got a glass or a plastic glass, just depended on who served you.

Rating
3.5/5

Generally freezing inside in winter...

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
George Wallis

We reserved a "booth" , it was supposed to come with waitress service but no one ever came round to check if we wanted drinks.You couldnt hear the commentary on the games even though the booth had a TV

It was rammed, £4.85 for a pint of local bitter , no wonder LD didn't come in there to give out free beers !

Seemed short staffed and there were simply too many people in there , I actually felt claustrophobic

Another downside is the loos are upstairs , and people were standing in gangways blocking the way. No idea what security were doing other than standing chatting outside

Time to find a new watering hole

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great Western

Pros: good ale (if it's your thing) decent selection of cobs and basic pub food, reasonable prices outdoor area for smokers, parking for drivers, streets outside are quiet so can spill outside when really busy without been whinged at about taking glasses outsiee, near to the train/bus station.

Cons: Conservatory is like a greenhouse when warm, no shelter in the outside area, small passageways so getting around is hard. Long queues to get served.

Rating 4/5.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spoons was ok suprisingly, wasnt too busy at all. Hooded Ram and Goose were absolutely rammed. Magees was busy and a bit of a que but still managed a beer ok. Went to London after the game, rammed for the first 20 mins then thinned out a bit.

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Popworld!!!
Only place that wasnt rammed. Walked straight to bar.
Draught was poor quality, so drank bottles.
Filled up a bit from about 4pm when people realised it was open and obviously couldn't get in nowhere else!
Only 2 staff on, so time to get served started to get longer.
Floor was sticky from the night before!

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
North Bank Bar before - Beer is rank
Royal London after - Premier League prices

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had to settle for the Cuban on Saturday, all of our usual watering holes were full.

Shan’t rush back there in a hurry.

Jez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was the goalpost open?
No

Went to Yates - Full
Went to another bar round the corner told 40 minute wait at the bar

Ended up in Popworld ..... what a hole that place is. Only one serving when I was in there £4.50 a pint !!!

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was the goalpost open?

Pretty sure it was when I drove past about 2ish unless that was people parking cars there.

Litten Tree was pretty decent but absolutely manic. Might have to stick to a bar outside the city centre and then walk up

D

Deleted member 4594

Towns ridiculous now. Really missing the Feathers, Wanderer, Ash Tree and Red Lion taking the strain close to the ground.

scotterwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Dog & Doublet - service was absolute nightmare but I guess that is the price of success. Sounds like most pubs in city centre were the same. May start drinking further out of town and then getting taxi into town for the game.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like to spread my time between most of the centre pubs but other people's choices & knowing a pub we can get served in fast determines where we go an hour before kick off.
Would be a good idea to open up the Civic and/or a new South bank bar with a big beer garden that could open out onto the subway square?

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Hogs was rammed, one in one out from about 3pm.

Only good thing was you can get a few drinks from the little outside bar and two-pint cups. Otherwise, it's a 20-30 minute wait at the bar as it was towards end of last season.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dog & Doublet - service was absolute nightmare but I guess that is the price of success. Sounds like most pubs in city centre were the same. May start drinking further out of town and then getting taxi into town for the game.

Thought it was shutting down?

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The electric club in chapel ash is worth a try.
Pros
It's an old MEB working mans club, large bar area that holds around 200 folk, large snooker area with two tables and seats all the way round, a cosy couple of rooms, easy accessibility from room to room, served within 5 mins, usually packed, good atmosphere, hot and cold food, cheap beer due to it being a social club, and the beer is top notch due to the old uns that use it 7 days a week, plenty of tables, as close to the ground as anywhere good in town, large smoking area, proper glasses, some are even proper Mon hondled glasses for your ale, dont have to walk passed the beggars on the way into the ground, and steps if ya got bad knees.

Cons

It costs 50pence to enter if you ain't a member.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like to spread my time between most of the centre pubs but other people's choices & knowing a pub we can get served in fast determines where we go an hour before kick off.
Would be a good idea to open up the Civic and/or a new South bank bar with a big beer garden that could open out onto the subway square?
Good idea,Barnsley use the big hall at the leisure centre next to the ground to take some strain off the pubs.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spoons in town was ok, busy but no problem getting served etc

W

wolvesultra

The Civic's in no state to open though is it currently going through delayed/halted restoration/expansion. They've had to move events to Aldersley.

Some 'night' venues in town could do with being persuaded to open though. Sounds like Pop World has, Slade Rooms should (at least the bar part).

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't there a new bar opening up? Opposite Natwest where Slaters used to be? Not a massive space but surely can't hurt, especially if it's half decent.

Wolf of Salop

Groupie
Reaction score
Newhampton Inn
Pros: Top quality ale such as HPA and Enville, parking outside.
Cons: Bit of a trek however it is on a bus route.

M

Mr Wolf

I stayed in Codsall, watched all the football & got a taxi booked for 5pm, was in the ground for 5:20. I really couldn’t be ***** with the crowds in town before the game.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Civic's in no state to open though is it currently going through delayed/halted restoration/expansion. They've had to move events to Aldersley.

Some 'night' venues in town could do with being persuaded to open though. Sounds like Pop World has, Slade Rooms should (at least the bar part).
I'd go in the Slade Rooms, good location between other pubs and ground.
Could do with a couple of pubs behind the south bank and Steve Bull stands ;)

C

ChesterWolf

Went Stafford pre game as was with a load of Everton fans. Yates, Sun Inn, one I forget the name of and then the coach and horses. Might start stopping there more often after reading what Wolves centre was like.

I found the the Royal Albert was the quietest pub in town last season (from the ones we tried) so we went there most weeks, anyone go there on Saturday?

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The electric club in chapel ash is worth a try.
Pros
It's an old MEB working mans club, large bar area that holds around 200 folk, large snooker area with two tables and seats all the way round, a cosy couple of rooms, easy accessibility from room to room, served within 5 mins, usually packed, good atmosphere, hot and cold food, cheap beer due to it being a social club, and the beer is top notch due to the old uns that use it 7 days a week, plenty of tables, as close to the ground as anywhere good in town, large smoking area, proper glasses, some are even proper Mon hondled glasses for your ale, dont have to walk passed the beggars on the way into the ground, and steps if ya got bad knees.

Cons

It costs 50pence to enter if you ain't a member.
Ssssssssssh! Big mouth.

tf7

Reaction score
13:58 from Telford, My pub route was Duke, Billy Wright, Goose, Lychgate, Yates and finally in Desperation YOLO aka the Old New Inns , it was manic, to many bods, not enough staff was the common denominator.

To make matters worse, I arranged to meet a mate in the Giffard after the game and got stung (ROBBED) £17 for 3 Carling's and a Bottle of Bud.

Thinking Codsall, then Taxi for future home games.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we always get up town earlier for big games,so it looks like I will be up town about 10ish on normal kick offs and about 12ish for 5-30 kick offs.If yam up early enough the moon ay too bad,£5 for 2 buds.That's what I usually start off with,cus me belly is full of breakfast.:D when the moon gets full it's a ballache to get served 4/10.Hoggs I always steer well clear on match days as its got to be the worst for getting served.2/10.:( Don't go in the royal London much but it's not as bad as some for service,5/10,not in there long enough to know what its like when rammed.This brings me to the hooded Ram.We enjoyed it in there and it was the first pub that had singing fans.:rolleyes: Good atmosphere and ok service 6/10.Goose was next,another pub where it can be a pain to get served,obviously early on its great but not so good when full.Yam alroit if ya know the bar staff.;) 6/10.oh and I forgot bohs,(how can I forget ar lovely little bohs.8/10 for me as I love this place and the mixers were in again on Sat which is a bonus.;) Then we had a stroll down to the Wallace,This place is as good as any on promotion party days,but for some reason it was a tad slow on Saturday..7/10.It was time to head down the the golden palace (custard bowl ) as the baggie boilers call it CHEEKY ****S.Popped in to pop world and popped out just as quick,nuff said.Not scored it as we day have a drink,but dow think it would have bin high.They could definitely do with something outside the ground somewhere.Just to ease congestion in the pubs.10/10 :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4023

Well we always get up town earlier for big games,so it looks like I will be up town about 10ish on normal kick offs and about 12ish for 5-30 kick offs.If yam up early enough the moon ay too bad,£5 for 2 buds.That's what I usually start off with,cus me belly is full of breakfast.:D when the moon gets full it's a ballache to get served 4/10.Hoggs I always steer well clear on match days as its got to be the worst for getting served.2/10.:( Don't go in the royal London much but it's not as bad as some for service,5/10,not in there long enough to know what its like when rammed.This brings me to the hooded Ram.We enjoyed it in there and it was the first pub that had singing fans.:rolleyes: Good atmosphere and ok service 6/10.Goose was next,another pub where it can be a pain to get served,obviously early on its great but not so good when full.Yam alroit if ya know the bar staff.;) 6/10.oh and I forgot bohs,(how can I forget ar lovely little bohs.8/10 for me as I love this place and the mixers were in again on Sat which is a bonus.;) Then we had a stroll down to the Wallace,This place is as good as any on promotion party days,but for some reason it was a tad slow on Saturday..7/10.It was time to head down the the golden palace (custard bowl ) as the baggie boilers call it CHEEKY ****S.Popped in to pop world and popped out just as quick,nuff said.Not scored it as we day have a drink,but dow think it would have bin high.They could definitely do with something outside the ground somewhere.Just to ease congestion I the pubs.10/10 :p

Yam too good for trip advisor fella - You should start charging for taking people on a tour of the City centre pubs - or they buy you a pint in each of them on the way round :D

Back
Top Bottom