Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fifa/ Poppies

S

ShropshireLad

I don"t recall Korea ever being one of our colonies.
It's a complicated one. Strictly speaking they never were but the opposition to communist expansionism was an expression of imperialism by the West to further self-interest.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly.

In WW1 brave young men going forward into battle for Queen and Country and you may disagree with war but you cannot deny that these boys showed extraordinary courage and many of them paid the ultimate price. Unless you were there I don't think you can truly comprehend what these boys went through.

One hundred years and a few generations later and what have we got?

The only warriors around these days are keyboard warriors tapping away from their "safe space" and telling us how offended they are by a poppy being on a football shirt.

"its political" they cry! No its not its a poppy and its to remember all the poor souls who lost their lives in war and in conditions we cannot even begin to imagine. Show some respect.

You couldn't make this cr@p up

If they didn't walk to their deaths as ordered by the butcher of the Somme Haig, the man whom invented the British legion because the establishment feared fully trained troops now on the scrap heap would revolt as they formed their own organisations, the officer class would shoot them!

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our brave soldiers who died in Malaysia were not involved in a colonial war but helping the Malaysians keep their country safe from Chinese communist guerrillas. The Malaysians asked for our help FGS.
Also our brave servicemen who died in Korea were fighting under the auspices of the United Nations alongside a coalition of many other countries. Not remotely a colonial war.
It helps if you know what you are talking about. :(

If you want to get technical it wasn't a war so lets call it by the establishment name "the Malayan Emergency' to protect big business from financial losses. Not bad for someone who doesn't know what they are talking about eh?

I'd like to see some evidence of your Chinese Communist guerrilla invasion, Do you mean from China or the Chinese living in Malaya, two very different beasts.

If mods feel this picture should;d be removed I have no problem but a different picture from Virgin soldiers.

I never said Korea was. Why do I have to keep repeating myself, perhaps I should have redacted the post I quoted.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

ShropshireLad

If you want to get technical it wasn't a war so lets call it by the establishment name "the Malayan Emergency' to protect big business from financial losses. Not bad for someone who doesn't know what they are talking about eh?

I'd like to see some evidence of your Chinese Communist guerrilla invasion, Do you mean from China or the Chinese living in Malaya, two very different beasts.

If mods feel this picture should;d be removed I have no problem but a different picture from Virgin soldiers.

malaya_OliversArmyChapt.jpg

I never said Korea was. Why do I have to keep repeating myself, perhaps I should have redacted the post I quoted.

I don't know what the confusion about Malaya and Korea is all about.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"holding the severed heads of two dead guerrillas".... hardly likely to be alive were they?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a complicated one. Strictly speaking they never were but the opposition to communist expansionism was an expression of imperialism by the West to further self-interest.
Wow - I can't believe I have just read that. Imperialism is one country forcefully imposing itself on another to exploit its natural resources, you can't tell me that the South Koreans didn't want the Americans and others there to protect it from the USSR backed North Korea?

S

ShropshireLad

Wow - I can't believe I have just read that. Imperialism is one country forcefully imposing itself on another to exploit its natural resources, you can't tell me that the South Koreans didn't want the Americans and others there to protect it from the USSR backed North Korea?
Of course I can't, mate, I can't argue with that at all and nor would I want to. However, the interests of the West were at stake and they didn't go in to help the South for altruistic reasons. It was a two-way street - and I don't think that can be argued with either. ;)

Imperialism isn't just about exploiting natural resources although it usually entails that. Asserting hegemony is also an imperialistic ambition. The USSR asserted hegemony over the Eastern bloc countries to create a line of buffer states but they also "pinched" what resources they could and paid them with alcohol (flippant remark but there's truth to it).

Last edited by a moderator:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course I can't, mate, I can't argue with that at all. However, the interests of the West were at stake and they didn't go in to help the South for altruistic reasons. It was a two-way street - and I don't think that can be argued with either. ;)
And that's the point I'm making - a two way street isn't imperialism, which is rather one way.

M

Mr Wolf

You'll all be pleased to know instead of ****ing my Donald Trump to be elected winnings up the wall I have donated the £90 profit to the British Legion.

It felt quite good after winning it on something dirty lol.

S

ShropshireLad

And that's the point I'm making - a two way street isn't imperialism, which is rather one way.
I don't agree with you because the West saw an advantage to further their financial and hegemony interests and I won't enter into an argument about it so we'll have to accept our difference of opinion.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The fact I was making was we were asked to help by the Malayan government - it was not a colonial war.

More importantly our soldiers who gave their lives in all of the post WW2 conflicts deserve our respect and honour right up today in Afghanistan.

Wear the poppy with respect, pride and appreciation

Last edited:

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sorry my friend this is not true. 1950 North Korea without warning invaded South Korea. The UN agreed this was illegal and a coalition of various countries including Britain helped to drive the North Koreans back. It had nothing at all to do with Imperialism.

When the war was over our forces went home.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry my friend this is not true. 1950 North Korea without warning invaded South Korea. The UN agreed this was illegal and a coalition of various countries including Britain helped to drive the North Koreans back. It had nothing at all to do with Imperialism.

Some forces stayed because they were asked to do so by the democratically elected Govt of South Korea, god knows how that is Imperialism.........

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wearing the poppy is a personal choice and FIFA shouldn't stop players from wearing it if they want.

The poppy is a symbol of remembrance, and no longer just represents WW1 &WW2, many families today are living with the effects of war, and arguably many of today's generation have a connection to it significance.

I'm actually quite proud of England and Scotland defying FIFA and wearing the poppy knowing they could face consequences. Unfortunately Wales haven't followed suit. Many Welsh fans I know are actually embarrassed their FA isn't standing up to FIFA.

S

ShropshireLad

It was more complex than that, mate. The North Korean advance was illegal, I agree, and yes it was a coalition of UN forces but their interests were to counter communist expansion. That really can't be denied. They did go home but the job was done although the North Koreans haven't ever accepted that the issue is over and still make reminders that it's still a live issue. However, the aims of stemming the tide were achieved. South Korea has never been a colony but they are still nevertheless allies to maintain the current status quo and the West's incursion wasn't undertaken out of altruism but to maintain their economic interests.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meanwhile back at the impending crisis at Molineux........................

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was more complex than that, mate. The North Korean advance was illegal, I agree, and yes it was a coalition of UN forces but their interests were to counter communist expansion. That really can't be denied. They did go home but the job was done although the North Koreans haven't ever accepted that the issue is over and still make reminders that it's still a live issue. However, the aims of stemming the tide were achieved. South Korea has never been a colony but they are still nevertheless allies to maintain the current status quo and the West's incursion wasn't undertaken out of altruism but to maintain their economic interests.

To say that it was in the interest of the UN mandated forces to counter communist expansion is not true. Thier sole interest was to drive the North Koreans out of South Korea.
Still this is not the place to debate this further.

Last edited:
S

ShropshireLad

To say that it was in the interest of the UN mandated forces to counter communist expansion is not true. Thier sole interest was to drive the North Koreans out of South Korea.
Still this is not the place to debate this further.
We'll just have to agree to differ about that one, mate. ;) And as you say - nuff said.:cool:

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they didn't walk to their deaths as ordered by the butcher of the Somme Haig, the man whom invented the British legion because the establishment feared fully trained troops now on the scrap heap would revolt as they formed their own organisations, the officer class would shoot them!

DRE: we all know what happens in wars; the top brass sip cups of tea miles from the front while the young men get slaughtered.

That has always been the story since wars first began and it is sadly nothing unique what happened with British Troops (and ANZAC's) in WW1.

But in my opinion this is All the more reason to remember the fallen: can you imagine how it must have felt waiting for the whistle to go to go "over the top" knowing your chances of survival were naught?

We all know you are anti war and I am sure everyone is anti-war at the end of the day, but to post sanctimoniously about what happened 100 years ago as if you know better is poor taste and inappropriate.

Very easy with the distance of hindsight to say those soldiers should have reacted differently to being sent over the top but you were not there so you don't know the emotions and circumstances; you just know the cold hard facts.

Rightly or wrongly, those young men died for their country and deserve our respectful remembrance.

E

Edgmond Wolf

You'll all be pleased to know instead of ****ing my Donald Trump to be elected winnings up the wall I have donated the £90 profit to the British Legion.

It felt quite good after winning it on something dirty lol.
Well done son
Respect to you mate

E

Edgmond Wolf

Look at the time you posted...your disrespect is disgusting

E

Edgmond Wolf

Yes a result !!!!!! I have more respect in my little toe than you'll ever have but I don't need to tell the world, oh look at me I've got a poppy!

And for someone who goes to football and doesn't know about the Respect campaign.

You would have realised I was attacking the hypocrisy of FIFA/EUFA but no you just want to get your wisecrack in before your brain can engage.
Yep you are demonstrating your respect.......nuff said

E

Edgmond Wolf

Good man, never knew my granddad my mum never knew her dad, means a lot to me too.
Hi Nick
Special day today at the Cenotaph, I will show you at Preston.

They recognised the Somme veterans then the normal parade..it was emotional

I then went to RAF Club to meet a retired Air Commodore that I know

Very special day

Now home watching the England game with my sons and friends

D

Deleted member 3518

Hi Nick
Special day today at the Cenotaph, I will show you at Preston.

They recognised the Somme veterans then the normal parade..it was emotional

I then went to RAF Club to meet a retired Air Commodore that I know

Very special day

Now home watching the England game with my sons and friends

Enjoy your night mate, will share the story of my granddad to!!

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
DRE: we all know what happens in wars; the top brass sip cups of tea miles from the front while the young men get slaughtered.

That has always been the story since wars first began and it is sadly nothing unique what happened with British Troops (and ANZAC's) in WW1.

But in my opinion this is All the more reason to remember the fallen: can you imagine how it must have felt waiting for the whistle to go to go "over the top" knowing your chances of survival were naught?

We all know you are anti war and I am sure everyone is anti-war at the end of the day, but to post sanctimoniously about what happened 100 years ago as if you know better is poor taste and inappropriate.

Very easy with the distance of hindsight to say those soldiers should have reacted differently to being sent over the top but you were not there so you don't know the emotions and circumstances; you just know the cold hard facts.

Rightly or wrongly, those young men died for their country and deserve our respectful remembrance.

And I do that without the aid of the Butcher of the Somme organisation and watching the warmongers with their crocodile tears.

A man who was there and should be shown every year as part of the commemoration IMO.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And I do that without the aid of the Butcher of the Somme organisation and watching the warmongers with their crocodile tears.

A man who was there and should be shown every year as part of the commemoration IMO.

Sadly Harry died on 25th July 2009. :(

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly Harry died on 25th July 2009. :(

Yep, and the recording should be played on a big screen at the Cenotaph, then watch the so called Great and there Good squirm.

A real great man among many other real Great men and women!

D

Deleted member 3604

You never know. One day they'll get together and tell them to 'shove their wars'. It's not hard to spot the winners and it certainly isn't those who fight them. The War to end all Wars eh ...

Back
Top Bottom