Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle United Verdict

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a surprise that you're seemingly admitting you care more when we're good.

I MAY accept the idea that you don't want to pay money to watch us in League One but the passion for the club shouldn't ever change. Losing in the last minute to Gillingham to conceding late today, it still hurts the same.
It's also sad and frankly bloody irritating that some of those fans who went to Gillingham may well have missed out on tickets for the glamorous European ties to "marginal supporters".....

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree.

You’re happy to say Newcastle were lucky but refuse to say that once again we’ve scored a goal that should be stopped. It’s a routine save and thankfully he threw it in.

I get that can happen but the point is Jimenez taking a shot from the edge of the box in a crowded area isn’t a good chance.

I disagree about the performance, I thought it was poor when you consider what we’re up against. Darlow didn’t make one good save, nobody really missed a big chance. Yes Jimenez should’ve passed one to Podence but he didn’t. In terms of actual good chances, very limited once again IMO.
You're hilarious, you really are... what on earth are you on about?

Were we the better side? COMFORTABLY

The openings I alluded to were Raul's in the first half when he could have played Podence in, Raul's in the first half when Semedo cut it back (should have at least hit the target) and Neto's in the second half when he side footed it over. They were the best moments of the game for us and our 'chained' front three should have done better. Also note I use the word 'opening', meaning it doesn't matter that Jimenez didn't pass to Podence, the opportunity was there to do it, hence it was a good opening. They were better opportunities than the chances either us or Newcastle scored from. I didn't mention that Raúl's goal was fortunate - because I didn't mention Raúl's goal AT ALL, there's no refusal from me to admit it was fortunate because I didn't say a thing about it in the first place so don't try to put words in my mouth or say I refuse to admit something. I was basing the opinion on the balance of the ninety minutes

And Newcastle WERE lucky, they were behind, offered nothing all game and got a gift in the 89th minute from a nothing ball

So disagree all you want, but you're just arguing for the sake of it and trying to bring up points that don't even exist

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we had about thirteen shots off target. Neto was blasting them over and wide, he will have better days. Jiminez was also wasteful but eventually put one in. The chances were their it was just disappointing we did not score more.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're hilarious, you really are... what on earth are you on about?

Were we the better side? COMFORTABLY

The openings I alluded to were Raul's in the first half when he could have played Podence in, Raul's in the first half when Semedo cut it back (should have at least hit the target) and Neto's in the second half when he side footed it over. They were the best moments of the game for us and our 'chained' front three should have done better. Also note I use the word 'opening', meaning it doesn't matter that Jimenez didn't pass to Podence, the opportunity was there to do it, hence it was a good opening. They were better opportunities than the chances either us or Newcastle scored from. I didn't mention that Raúl's goal was fortunate - because I didn't mention Raúl's goal AT ALL, there's no refusal from me to admit it was fortunate because I didn't say a thing about it in the first place so don't try to put words in my mouth or say I refuse to admit something. I was basing the opinion on the balance of the ninety minutes

And Newcastle WERE lucky, they were behind, offered nothing all game and got a gift in the 89th minute from a nothing ball

So disagree all you want, but you're just arguing for the sake of it and trying to bring up points that don't even exist
What a dramatic response.

Yes, we were the better team, slightly IMO, comfortably in yours. At the end of the day Jimenez didn’t pass so that’s clutching at straws using that, Neto’s chance was hardly easy and the other was an extremely difficult shot to try and score from.

Is it not worrying that we’re playing a rubbish side and we aren’t talking about ONE good save the keeper made? Or even one good chance.

The best we’ve got is Jimenez should’ve passed and then Podence might have scored!! In 90 mins against that **** side.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were certainly the far better side.
I was so gutted [and cross] that we gifted them their 89th minute equaliser.
If we are to finish in the top six we cannot afford to chuck away points.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were certainly the far better side.
I was so gutted [and cross] that we gifted them their 89th minute equaliser.
If we are to finish in the top six we cannot afford to chuck away points.

Wasn't even a foul, Wilson threw himself into Coady and screamed like he had just been shot.

Robbed of two points, however we should have put our chances away but didn't, only ourselves to blame.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I love Saiss but it was evident from the 1st minute that Newcastle were coming for a point and were only going to venture forward in very rare occasions. This was an ideal game for Nuno to play Marcal or Ait-Nouri. I won’t pretend (like some) to have watched every second of the young lads career but from what I have seen it would have been a good game for him out wide playing in tight areas.
Yeah I agree, Saiss can be a bit hot and cold at the mo, I'd have thought Marcal will start on Friday.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't even a foul, Wilson threw himself into Coady and screamed like he had just been shot.

Robbed of two points, however we should have put our chances away but didn't, only ourselves to blame.

We threw the goal away by a rare couple of mistakes from the usually brilliant Patricio.
Failure to organise his wall properly and failure to cover inside his post.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think that was a free kick. Typical Bournemouth type con.

Much better performance from us though. Moving in the right direction despite the result.

Despite all the doom and gloom, that for me.
Bemoaning our possession play and movement seems a little harsh, since it was infinitely better than has been in the season so far. I’ll take that as green shoots rather than ‘**** ay we’.

Neto, Podence and Raúl do look like they’re starting to click, there was some great one touch play particularly in the first half. Not exactly easy to get through a packed defence like that but managed to make some reasonable half chances.
If Raúl had squared to the completely open Podence we’d have had that elusive early goal.
Some great passes from Neves too. Semedo looking far more competent than last outing.

If that’s the kind of progression we get from the first full training week, I’m willing to be hopeful for the rest of the season.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
Thought it was our best display since the second half of the Man City game.

Podence and Neto looked sharp but ultimately I don't think they get enough support from the CM's to really put teams under pressure.

When your system is built around the wing backs, having Saiss as one of them does seem counter-intuitive. Likewise from what I know about Marcal, he isn't particularly attacking so the quicker we get Ait Nouri in the team the better.

The focus on being solid defensively does take away from our threat in attack, there is no getting around that.

I think there is a balance that needs to be struck between grinding out results and actually playing good, positive football. Our style of play seems to have regressed from our first season in the Prem and that is a concern.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm bored of this style of football now, sorry. We are capable of so so so much more than this. Got what we deserved. Rui should've saved that mind. Yeah more possession but did nothing with it, we need to be much more quick and incisive.
Ditto, and don't you think some of the players may be getting bored too?

D

Deleted member 11157

I like us but we're not scoring enough goals to mitigate the mistakes. We're not a top four team more one of about ten vying for fifth and sixth. Football is just not the same for me and I am struggling in general to 'keep with it'. Bored with the politics, bored with the money they are paid and feeling totally disenfranchised with it all.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talking of negativity, have you ever posted anything positive about the team that you claim to support?

Yesterday was disappointing l agree. Particularly sitting back on the 1-0 again. However, had Raul had his shooting boots on in the first half.....

It's like we go out our way to give teams a chance to get back into the match instead of controlling the game. Sheffield, Burnley, Newcastle. We sit back, invite waves of pressure, and they score.

You can say what you want about how it shouldn't have been a penalty at Burnley or was a very soft free kick yesterday, but if we didn't keep getting 1-0 leads and saying to ourselves "right lads, let's give them a sporting chance to score these last 10 minutes", we wouldn't drop so many points.

Good teams don't settle for 1-0 wins, and they don't sit back after scoring and let their opponents dominate and give them a load of chances to equalise. There's no reason we couldn't have controlled the last 10 minutes yesterday, we were a much better team. Other than the team couldn't be bothered.

I don't believe the team can't be bothered. Since Nuno has been here the team is so well drilled, they've worked together so well, everyone knows their role. Yet we almost always sit back after going a goal up regardless of the opposition. If the team are so well drilled and no their roles so well they aren't likely to be suddenly forgetting Nuno's instructions at the restart, but rather following his instructions. Teams usually have more of a go after going a goal down so I guess Nunos instinct is to sit back and soak up any pressure, but the actual affect is that it ends up inviting pressure and giving the oppostion a foothold in the game. It's Nuno who is going to have to change a bit here.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with you, never a free kick to begin with and the setting up of the wall and Rui's positioning both very poor. In addition someone else needs to score apart from Jimmy and that needs sorting or heads should roll. Disappointed to say the least.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like us but we're not scoring enough goals to mitigate the mistakes. We're not a top four team more one of about ten vying for fifth and sixth. Football is just not the same for me and I am struggling in general to 'keep with it'. Bored with the politics, bored with the money they are paid and feeling totally disenfranchised with it all.
Keep yer chin up mate ... we’ll be back at Molineux one day.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was very happy with the way we played , patiently taking our time in the first half, without looking threatened.
Then stepping things up in the second and Raul scoring an excellent goal.
DEFINITELY thought we were going to see it out UNTIL in the 89th minute,when the Sky Comms said that Patricio had, had very little to do all game.
Immediately after he'd said it came the FK and I mentioned to my wife, that I hoped he hadn't spoken too soon!!!
AND OF COURSE HE HAD!!!!

You could see from Patricio's reaction, how gutted he was, ESPECIALLY as he'd got a hand to the ball, and for a split second I thought he'd saved it.

As someone mentioned earlier, you can be sure that they will be concentrating on how to line up a wall, to minimize the risk of a repeat.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs should have beat West Ham but didn't
Chelsea should have beat West Brom but didn't
Wolves should have beat Newcastle but didn't
Want the difference between those three results? Two of them were scoring for fun but had such a shocking defence they dropped points. We made one mistake which in the premier league is enough to get anyone punished
Do you think Spurs fans are unhappy? Or Chelsea?, especially considering we are as it stands above both in the table.
Like the Sheffield United game it cried out for Podence to take his early chance to stop them parking the bus, sadly we didnt taking our chances has always been a problem. It was a problem for Jota by the way and I have already seen the "should we have sold him?" thread
Last night was hands down the best performance of the season. They wanted to park the bus and play on the counter and minus one block from Kilman offered nothing
Our problem is we were wasteful in front of goal. Raul was guilty of this but Neto had chances as well. The narrative with wolves is always the same, once we have a bit of success drawing to Newcastle is deemed as us playing boring, slow football. Give me that over throwing three goal leads away every week. Goals win games but clean sheets win titles
It bothers me that the narrative is growing more and more restless because after hearing Dublin, Merson, Dyer and Redknapp all question our tactics the last thing we need now is to try and turn the style of play. We did that when Mccarthy was manager and proceeded to get battered every week. I am not dragging up the past I just want people to acknowledge that the situation we are in is not a terrible one by any stretch and perspective is needed
Overall a good peformance. Rui let himself down for the goal but he knows it, Semedo was a lot better going forward. Marcal adds a sense of balance to the wingback.
Podence is class, Raul is class, Kilman is class, Dendoncker is class and Neves controlled midfield and I will concede should have not been taken off.
Soon as we can get some goals we are laughing
Absolutely spot on!

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of people are saying we need goals from elsewhere apart from relying on Jimenez, however Podence, Neto, and even Neves have had decent chances to score in our games so far. Just need to be patient as the goals will eventually come!

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict? I'm still ****ed off that we let 2 points slip away and Friday can't come soon enough to put it right.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of people are saying we need goals from elsewhere apart from relying on Jimenez, however Podence, Neto, and even Neves have had decent chances to score in our games so far. Just need to be patient as the goals will eventually come!

Lets hope so as we dont want this to become an issue. Hopefully things will begin to click more in an attacking sense soon. Just feel that the players are being stifled at present and need the shackles letting off.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ever since raul signed that new contract, he's become wasteful and greedy with the ball. He also tracks back too much. Its his fault we didn't win.

Sell him, please!

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nail on Head.

Not half, sums us up perfectly. Nunos approach works well often and it's understandable against the top teams to maybe sit back a bit and contain them when they come back at us, because they posses the skill to unlock us if we're too open. But's the same against dross like Fulham and Newcastle and invites them on when if left to their own devices couldn't touch us. Fulham got beat at home 0-3 by Villa the week before and were comical, looking like they might challenge Derby for the lowest points record yet we again invited them onto us.

"They could be in the top four right now. But they aren’t. And won’t be if they and Nuno Espirito Santo continue to insist on playing this way week after infuriating week"

We need to be more positive against the dregs of the division.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a dramatic response.

Yes, we were the better team, slightly IMO, comfortably in yours. At the end of the day Jimenez didn’t pass so that’s clutching at straws using that, Neto’s chance was hardly easy and the other was an extremely difficult shot to try and score from.

Is it not worrying that we’re playing a rubbish side and we aren’t talking about ONE good save the keeper made? Or even one good chance.

The best we’ve got is Jimenez should’ve passed and then Podence might have scored!! In 90 mins against that **** side.
The R5 live team noted Newcastle’s lack of ambition and on more than one occasion Wolves lack of players in the Newcastle box, slow tempo, need to be more on the front foot at home etc. Against such opposition, we were the better more comfortable team but to the neutral it was still a pretty dull performance from what I heard on the radio. In fact about 35 minutes in the R5Live team wanted Traore on to give Wolves some attacking threat. Any attacking threat to avoid a 0-0!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting read:

"Wolves are 7th and just the same as ever". Yes, but we were "ever" finishing 7th in the Championship...when we weren't finishing 12th,that is. Strange definition of the word "ever" they are using, does it now mean "2 years"? Top 7 3 years running in the Premier League is something probably nobody other than the big 6 has achieved for decades.

Be careful what you wish for. Recent history shows plenty of upstart clubs challenging the big 6, got a bit fed up of finishing upper-mid table, made changes ... and got relegated all too quickly. Often free falling to League 1. Other than Man City and their billions, not one of Charlton, Swansea, Sunderland, Bolton, Stoke, Villa, Albion etc. has managed to bridge the gap.

TBF The article overall is quite well written and humerous, my point is that 7th in the top division still feels an achievement to me and I'd hate us to take risks and implode.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Wolves are 7th and just the same as ever". Yes, but we were "ever" finishing 7th in the Championship...when we weren't finishing 12th,that is. Strange definition of the word "ever" they are using, does it now mean "2 years"? Top 7 3 years running in the Premier League is something probably nobody other than the big 6 has achieved for decades.

Be careful what you wish for. Recent history shows plenty of upstart clubs challenging the big 6, got a bit fed up of finishing upper-mid table, made changes ... and got relegated all too quickly. Often free falling to League 1. Other than Man City and their billions, not one of Charlton, Swansea, Sunderland, Bolton, Stoke, Villa, Albion etc. has managed to bridge the gap.

TBF The article overall is quite well written and humerous, my point is that 7th in the top division still feels an achievement to me and I'd hate us to take risks and implode.
Agree, it shows how far we've come in that we're already seen as established, which is obviously brilliant.

I think the point of the article and why we're different to the rest, we're not punching massively above our weight to be where we are though. We're a very good team, with international players yet we play like we do.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, it shows how far we've come in that we're already seen as established, which is obviously brilliant.

I think the point of the article and why we're different to the rest, we're not punching massively above our weight to be where we are though. We're a very good team, with international players yet we play like we do.

Once I read past the opening paragraph, I realised the writer was just having a gentle laugh at our expense, while making some good points missed by the rest of the media. I don't know the writer, but at least he's clearly watched us and knows where we are at the moment, unlike about 95% of the rubbish spouted by commentators and alleged "experts" recently. I wish the journalists who interview Nuno would ask about some of the questions in that article, instead of the turgid cliches they roll out while answering their own question : "Nuno, were you disappointed at dropping 2 points by conceding from a free kick so late in the game? " :mad:

And in these uncertain times, isn't it nice to have something fixed and reliable to cling too? :) We often seemed to have a magnetic attraction to 7th in the Championship, no surprise it's the same in the Premier League.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All a bit predictable. A made to measure LWB will bring more balance in future and attacking intent. But Jimenez still desperately lacks support and finds himself alone in the penalty area too often surrounded by four or five defenders. Podence and perhaps Neto are more providers for strikers rather than strikers themselves. Neto has the potential to be the more deadly goalscorer but does not dovetail with Jimenez at the moment in the way Jota once did.

We are a good team, efficient, but there is an ingredient x missing at the moment. For me it is an attacking midfielder of real quality and maturity sitting just behind Jimenez and attacking aggressively from the centre of the park. This would offer unpredictability and a faster spring into counter-attack plus a few extra goals. At the moment it is hard to see us scoring two goals in any game never mind four or five. Nuno needs to take the hand brake off occasionally especially when playing the likes of Newcastle at home. They looked very poor and were there for the taking. But we ****ed it up and not for the first time in the final minutes of a match having not made our previous domination and chances pay.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a positive, but just realised we let in a very late goal *again*. Is that something like 8 out the last 14 we've conceded a goal in the last 5 minutes? It's all very odd, because we used to be the team that scored at the end of matches. Whatever, there's definitely a pattern there.

Reasons could include that this fitness issue that's doing the rumour rounds at the moment. Also, in many of those matches we were sitting very deep and hanging on to a 1 goal lead (there were several where we didn't concede a late goal, but were still "hanging on grimly" at the end - Fulham, Olympiakos, Leeds) and in a few, were chasing the game (Man City, Arsenal).

Whatever the result and cause, we are not finishing matches strongly, that's for sure.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So tired of this nasty negative approach at the end of games against rubbish opponents. The first half is already always a lost cause, and this is a team where scoring goals is like pulling teeth. So when we do get a goal, why do we commit so many people back and let them get forward to score? We cede possession and control every damn match around the 80th minute. FFS.

Back
Top Bottom