Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle United Verdict

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we looked by far the better team today , we are the better team player for player and we have the better manager and organisation.
So why cant we win by a clear margin ? Its not down to selling Jota and Doherty and buying Silva and Semedo . It's about tactics.
We have to get more guys in the box , Neto and Podence along with Jimenez need to be nearer the goal more often.
No player is going to score from the wide channels.
I think to see Newcastle only concede one goal with so many attackers in their makeshift team is poor.

Super NES

Groupie
Reaction score
Again, this is what happens when our game plan is to stay solid first and foremost, aim to get ahead and then defend it out. If we win its a masterclass, if we don't its frustrating as hell.

For me, we really had to kill that game off even before we scored. Bringing on Alt Nouri at half time for Saiss, potentially taking off a CB 60mins in for Silva would have won us that game. It would have shown a statement that we know we can win this and we are going for it. We didn't need 3 CBs especially when St Maximin went off.

But hey ho, its not just not Nuno's style. He prefers to control the game by making us very compact out of possession, and to slowly break down the opponen. Most times it works (each of our victories this season follow a similar pattern) but when it doesn't like today a draw feels like a defeat.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno is going to have to make some big calls soon. He has agreed to sign these players in the summer and we have hardly seen any of them yet. Vitinha cant even make the bench now and Silva never gets a kick. Yes both are young but we have paid big sums of money for them and so long as we remain so short on goals the clamour will grow to see what they and the likes of Ait Nouri, who is a proper attacking wing back can do. With the way we set up Nuno surely needs to realise that we need attacking threat from both wing backs and this means playing both Semedo and Ait Nouri in my opinion. He also has to decide if Podence and Neto are offering enough goal threat. I like both players but they have one goal between them so far this season. That isnt really good enough. Same can be said of Traore. Not nearly enough goals in this calendar year. If Raul doesnt score then who does? On the plus side we did show glimpses of good football today and we were the better side albeit against a poor Newcastle side. Some brave decisions for Nuno in the coming weeks of which I am sure he will undertake. You cant sign all these players for large sums of money and hardly have any of them have a kick.
Neto and Podence look quality to me. Especially Podence, who is quite unlucky not to have at least a couple goals to his name this season. Alt-Noiri on the left, and then a more attacking style in general as we get more used to the tweak in the style and we will be a very decent side. Frustrating today though.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Best form of defense is attack.

Unfortunately we can only get to the final 3rd before we have no idea what to do.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we looked far the better team today , we are the better team player for player and we have the better manager and organisation.
So why cant we win by a clear margin ? Its not down to selling Jota .
We have to get more guys in the box , Neto and Podence with Jimenez need to be there more often, no player is going to score from the wide channels.
I think to see Newcastle only concede only one goal with so many attackers in their team is poor.
Jota and Doherty were the only players who had the ability to creep in at the back post. Nobody else in this team have that instinct. I can’t see Neto or Podence doing it

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcal coming on instead of Ait Nouri sort of shows the issue. No doubt Marcal is solid but just as his last clubs fans said. He is better at centre back than wing back and doesnt offer much attacking threat. Ait Nouri on the other hand one of the most talented young attacking wing backs in world football. I have no doubt Marcal will start on Friday and therein lies some of the problem. We dont line up to really attack teams in many of our games. This explains our lack of goals and genuine chances in games. Lack of goals throughout the team apart from Raul at present.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A game there for the wining.
Against a very poor Newcastle side.
But we blew it.
I'm finding watching Wolves really hard work at the moment.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota and Doherty were the only players who had the ability to creep in at the back post. Nobody else in this team have that instinct. I can’t see Neto or Podence doing it

I like both Neto and Podence but they have a combined one goal between them this season so far and Adama's lack of goals are a problem as well. Have to hope this improves soon or we arent going to be scoring many goals this season. Also Silva isnt getting a kick which is frustrating when we have paid £35 million for him. He is young but when you pay that sort of money you would like to think he could at least get a chance off the bench.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcal coming on instead of Ait Nouri sort of shows the issue. No doubt Marcal is solid but just as his last clubs fans said. He is better at centre back than wing back and doesnt offer much attacking threat. Ait Nouri on the other hand one of the most talented young attacking wing backs in world football. I have no doubt Marcal will start on Friday and therein lies some of the problem. We dont line up to really attack teams in many of our games. This explains our lack of goals and genuine chances in games. Lack of goals throughout the team apart from Raul at present.
Marcal doesn’t seem to offer anything different to saiss so it was a pointless sub

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally dominated the game did the business and got the goal. Referee was determined to give Newcastle a chance and gave them a free kick for **** all. Patricio got the wall wrong and the free kick was perfect - c'est la vie. On another day with Mike Dean refereeing he would have given Newcastle a penalty and disallowed our goal for an imaginary infringement so I guess we should be thankful.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anybody else been getting less and less optimistic when Adama starts limbering up? It’s like he’s gone back to his first season again with no confidence.

Im really really annoyed with this point. Newcastle got lucky at the end but, in truth, didn’t ever look threatened or stretched at the back all game despite conceding. We play at such a slow tempo and defend so deep that sides can get into shape easily against us.

I’m over this type of game now, we’ve all seen it a million times over. Not just under Nuno either.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Comfortably the better side and should have seen it out. I'm not having any of this "we sat back" nonsense. Their goal came from a soft free kick from a long ball, they didn't push us back, didn't get crosses in, weren't having shots, it was just lucky from them where a nothing ball gave them a half chance which we contrived to let in.

Overall the result is gutting, we should have won and deserved to win. Some positives though, a much better performance than against Fulham, better interplay, better movement and a couple of spells of genuinely decent possession football. Hopefully we'll step it up again against Palace

MOM Neto

Agreed. I didn’t think we did sit back after the goal.

They obviously had to (finally) try and come out having conceded so late and they just started going more direct. Silly free-kick for Coady to give away (the ball was so straight and would have been impossible for Wilson to do anything with it, so he didn’t need to make the challenge).

Our biggest failing was our final ball and finishing when in good positions. Raul should have rolled in Podence. Neto should have scored from Podence’s pull-back.

I’m massively frustrated by the result as they offered very little but I thought we played ok and could see some positive signs in terms of some of our interplay.

Get Ait-Nouri in to offer some attacking balance on the left, a bit of end product from Podence and hopefully Adama back in something resembling last season’s form and we’ll be ok.

Thought Semedo, Neves, Dendoncker and Neto all played well.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As they said just, Wolves need someone like Bruno Fernandes. But of course look how much he cost.
Someone in the middle who can drive with the ball & create a spark. Every thing else is good. But its like watching a Rolls-Royce being powered by a Fiat Punto engine.
But we have international class players in many positions , including No 9, so why not an international class attacking central midfielder ?

Is it more by design ?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcal doesn’t seem to offer anything different to saiss so it was a pointless sub

Yep. Totally pointless and predictable sub. Wing backs both need to be attacking. Especially at home. Nuno needs to start loosening the shackles as it is becoming far too predictable and bland.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the first ten minutes, I thought we looked really good. Uncharacteristically good for the opening minutes. It had me quite excited about what we could do today. Some nice one-touch play. If we can just try to do that over longer periods of the game I think more goals will come. But we need more players in and around the box.

D

Deleted member 5962

Yep. Totally pointless and predictable sub. Wing backs both need to be attacking. Especially at home. Nuno needs to start loosening the shackles as it is becoming far too predictable and bland.

We seem to be instructing Semedo to be less attacking too. Far too many times he had the chance to run forward but instead passed it back.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is I think Nuno will put Marcal in before Ait-Nouri when Saiss is out and from what I've seen decent defensively but got nothing going forward..

We've got some really good players and yes this system works but against teams who sit in against us we struggle to create any chances something Nuno hasn't been able to sort out since we've return to the premier league...

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As they said just, Wolves need someone like Bruno Fernandes. But of course look how much he cost.
Someone in the middle who can drive with the ball & create a spark. Every thing else is good. But its like watching a Rolls-Royce being powered by a Fiat Punto engine.

Obviously wages come in to it but Fernandes cost Utd £12m more than Silva cost us. I know it’s not a reflection at all on the lad but we needed a midfielder like him for a few years now.

D

Deleted member 4008

We haven't learnt from last season . Need more goals from CM and AM otherwise it will be a long season of if buts and maybes .

D

Deleted member 11332

VdB would have come if we had offered him playing time, some decent money and the 34 shirt. He will be massively unhappy that he doesnt play at UTD.

That will change he's better than Fernandes and will oust him soon enough.

You think he'd have said to the biggest club in the world who are in the CL, no thanks and signed for us, for less money?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Donk played well as normal but he just doesn’t offer any creativity or invention in the midfield.

I know it’s a knee jerk and I will feel better about it tomorrow but I am sooooooo bored of watching us at the moment.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We seem to be instructing Semedo to be less attacking too. Far too many times he had the chance to run forward but instead passed it back.
He really isn´t offering much attackwise thus far I´m afraid.
Jeez..at least overlap every once in a while.
Actually looks better defencewise than I initially thought..but the output going foward is way subpar.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is an interesting stat. We do struggle when we have all the possession. Not enough quick, decisive, forward passes when we win the ball IMHO. We really lack that forward who will break the lines like Jota did.
Its not Jota because Podence can do that and Neto, its just where these guys are played too far from the box.

D

Deleted member 5962

That will change he's better than Fernandes and will oust him soon enough.

You think he'd have said to the biggest club in the world who are in the CL, no thanks and signed for us, for less money?

I think if two teams went in for him and one offered him more playing time and not a massively different amount of money he would choose playing time. He is that kind of player IMO.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So predictable.

Exactly the sort of stupid draw that cost us a European spot last season.

Lets not pretend otherwise, Newcastle are dreadful. Why on earth we felt the need to keep 3 CB's on is absolutely beyond me. Podence was our best player and he gets taken off for a like for like substitution.

Of course, the midfield doesn't help. Neves had a good game in the most part, but our lack of creativity is staggering. It cost us last season, and will continue to do so until we do something about it.

As frustrating a result as I've felt in a long time. Mainly because it was just so typical.

We had four Centre Backs on for most of the match

C

Can't B Arsed Wolf

And Nuno after match remarks? Some of the crap he comes out with, I'll support him to the hilt but, it comes to something when he moans about not creating/taking chances etc, he's the bloody coach, if the players ain't doing it, drop em and play someone who can. Frustrating isn't the word, we've just played the worst team in the Prem by a long chalk, bossed by a complete Plank of a bloke in Bruce who, by the way, is and never will be good enough to coach a third tier club. I'm so bloody angry with that display I really cannot put it into words that would be allowed on this site.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it instinct ? Or instruction.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Donk played well as normal but he just doesn’t offer any creativity or invention in the midfield.

I know it’s a knee jerk and I will feel better about it tomorrow but I am sooooooo bored of watching us at the moment.
Thing is that's not really his job or in his skill set.

It's still him plus one of Neves or Moutinho ... It's their job to create but they don't do enough.

We are boring to watch ... Imagine being neither a wolves or Newcastle fab watching that though ... It must have been awful.

Reactions: Ned

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno is a cautious manager/coach. We have Kilman at LCB so to put RAN in at LWB gives us very little experience on that side of the pitch, hence Saiss then Marcal. At least that's how I see it!

D

Deleted member 11332

I think if two teams went in for him and one offered him more playing time and not a massively different amount of money he would choose playing time. He is that kind of player IMO.

I'd agree if both were similar size, say Chelsea and United. unfortunately we ay in the same stratosphere ATM.

Back
Top Bottom