Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Arsenal Matchday Thread

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out latest trip to The Gunners, has come around and with both sides having indifferent starts, I wouldn’t have a bunch of how to predict this one.

2 1-1 draws at The Emirates consecutively, along with 2019’s 3-1 win and 2020’s 2-0 defeat at Molineux, doesn’t give either side the edge and with the Race for Europe fairly wide open, a chance to strike the iron whilst hot is there.

Hope everything can click, knowing of our decent record v “The Top 6” since returning and an aggressive forward line, will hopefully help that approach!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
49CBFA3C-67A7-4DC2-A9ED-C35C3536F5CB.jpeg

IT’S MAAAAAAAATCHDAAAAAAYYYY!!!

Tough game today but very winnable. We should have won both our away matches at Arsenal in the last two years, maybe today is finally the day?

Important to have Coady back today, we did ok without him but have away some really clean chances, with Aubameyang about today we really can’t be doing that.

Be interesting who starts in the attack, Traore did ok I thought against Southampton, and Neto made a difference coming on. Podence was pretty quiet but still had some good chances. Who do we leave on the bench?

Moutinho looked back to near his best but if we go back to the two in the middle, is it Neves or Dendoncker who misses out?

After the last two years of being able to name our starting team off by heart it’s unusual to have some selection incidents, but in Nuno we trust!

COYW!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really can’t afford to lose this one otherwise some real doom and gloom will start setting it. Just when things don’t look too great however, time after time this team surprise us all and remind us how silly we ever are to doubt them.

Hopefully today is another one of those timely reminders.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Really going to miss my Jerk Chicken from the little Caribbean Cafe by the Emirates Stadium, but I'm trusting in Nuno to pick the best team for the job, it's a little bit more interesting now after last weeks 4 at the back trying to make us a tad more attacking.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Okay, it is the Mail, but says Nuno been "drilling 4 at the back" this week...

I can see why, arsenal play 5 at the back (still?) and we seem to struggle against good teams who match us. Dropping a CB will be interesting though, will probably be Kilman by lack of seniority but thought we was better in the 4 than Boly and possibly more suited to it than Coady though we miss his outball/organisation from the back for sure so he is probably a starter even now.

Last edited:

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see no reason why we can’t stay 4 at the back now. Absolutely no chance we are going down, still every chance of a Europa league push, no fans in the ground anyway to moan, and a season most people aren’t really that bothered about anyway.

This is the perfect time to make the transition and then go into next season ready to rip the place apart.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The back 4 looked alright but were cut open a few times and that was without Ings so needs longer training together or back to 5 at the back. Has to be Neves OR Moutinho with Dendonker in the middle, not attacking enough with both.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can see why, arsenal play 5 at the back (still?) and we seem to struggle against good teams who match us. Dropping a CB will be interesting though, will probably be Kilman by lack of seniority but thought we was better in the 4 than Boly and possibly more suited to it than Coady though we miss his outball/organisation from the back for sure so he is probably a starter even now.

It is something also to consider changing mid-match/late match to mix it up (start with 5 then move to 4 if need to attack more). Would like to see Neto, Raul, Adama, Pod all playing at the same time again.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the stats say but it seems to me that we struggle against teams that match our 3-4-3 system. We could be in for an interesting tactical battle tonight.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
I see no reason why we can’t stay 4 at the back now. Absolutely no chance we are going down, still every chance of a Europa league push, no fans in the ground anyway to moan, and a season most people aren’t really that bothered about anyway.

This is the perfect time to make the transition and then go into next season ready to rip the place apart.
"A season most people aren't really bothered about" ????? Have you read the threads when we don't win ????????

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally think we will get cut apart if we play a back 4, Aubameyang wont miss the chances that Adams and Walcott did , much happier if we have a usual back 5 for this game.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there, my 31st birthday, September 1979. 3-2 win, 2 from Andy Gray
I wasnt there but I remember thinking afterwards that we were going to be the new Liverpool and would win everything over the coming Years. I remember very clearly thinking that it was going to be boring being a Wolves fan cos no one was going to be able to beat us.
I got that wrong!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our strength since we came back to the Prem has been our defence with Coady in the middle of a back 3. I understand why we went to 4 at the back last week with Coady unavailable, but see no reason to continue if Coady is back. I want to see Coady pinging the ball to our rapid wing backs to create some problems for Arsenal and opportunities for our strikers. Not sure that a back 4 gives us such options.

Kford

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why are we not kicking off until 19.15 . why not an Afternoon kickoff ?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Need to go back to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 for this one
We were playing 2-5-3 for most of last game and leaving just a bit too much space at the back
It makes for attacking football but Arsenal will not miss the openings that Saints did,and we cant rely on us to outscore them can we?
Im not concerned about changing it up now and then, but we need to do what we do best against certain teams, even if it is boring,can always change it second half if things are looking poor,you know what we usually do lol

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are we not kicking off until 19.15 . why not an Afternoon kickoff ?
So all games can be televised ... Sky have decided to start today’s matches at 14.00. Our game likely to be deemed the least attractive, hence the graveyard slot.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out latest trip to The Gunners, has come around and with both sides having indifferent starts, I wouldn’t have a bunch of how to predict this one.

2 1-1 draws at The Emirates consecutively, along with 2019’s 3-1 win and 2020’s 2-0 defeat at Molineux, doesn’t give either side the edge and with the Race for Europe fairly wide open, a chance to strike the iron whilst hot is there.

Hope everything can click, knowing of our decent record v “The Top 6” since returning and an aggressive forward line, will hopefully help that approach!
Hi Kashmire, thanks for starting this thread but your use of English is puzzling! 'I wouldn't have bunch of how to predict this one'???
'A chance to strike the iron whilst hot is there' ???? and your last sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! On reading your post several times I think I know what you're trying to say but you write like you talk - too quick!!!!!!!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Dendoncker plays we might be able to switch around as we see fit

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other than the result, I'd like to see a continuation of some of the positive aspects from the Southampton match - creating more good chances, primarily. Also would like to see some of our worse recent trends and patterns broken. For example, it seems ages since we scored a goal at the end of a match, we used to be masters of finishing strongly and I'd like to see that return.

More positivity in the first half - Arsenal defence is beatable *if* you get at them. Give them time and space and we do ourselves no favours.

We have some who are overdue a goal - Traore, Neves and even Boly are long overdue when you look at what we know they are capable of.

Failing any of that, a tedious 1-0 win to us thanks to a dodgy handball penalty would do. We are 1 of just 4 teams who haven't had a penalty yet.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the other from King John if my memory is correct. Great season that one!
Kenny Hibbitt scored the first Wolves goal at 19 Minutes, then Andy Gray at 27, Frank Stapleton at 49, Andy Gray at 71 and then John Hollins at 78. Att. 41,844.

Yes it was a great season as we went on to win the League Cup for the second time in the days when it had some significance!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...... I want to see Coady pinging the ball to our rapid wing backs to create some problems for Arsenal and opportunities for our strikers. Not sure that a back 4 gives us such options.
Agree but I would also like to see us mix it up a bit so that the opposition can’t settle. Play through the middle occasionally; Coady can ping a long ball over the top for Traore and Raul to run on to, play some quick passing and moving triangles, get the front three to interchange...basically give the opposition a head ache in trying to work us out.!

KildareWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Really hope we attack Arsenal from the off! Unfortunately this season I think we’ve been guilty of sitting back and being negative for long spells in games if we do this today and give Arsenal time on the ball it could spell trouble. But if we attack Arsenal the way we are capable of we should be able to take advantage of their lack of confidence at the the moment!

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fancy Nuno to go with 4 at the back and transform our season...

Would be peak Nuno to conplete his transformation and work Coady into a Back 4 CB! Might have been part of his willingness to let Doc go. Semedo might have a defensive error but his recovery pace makes him a better option in a 4 same with Ait-Nouri when he toughens up. Jonny will be well suited to both sides of a 4 when he is back.

The fact that he just up and switched it with such short notice makes me think he has been considering back 4 as an option. The easy option even with Coady and Saiss out would of been to put Donck back into the back 3 but he decided to change it...

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal are as defensive as we are

I fancy us to start 3 ATB and then switch midpoint in the 2nd half

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we played through the middle more then they can't double up out wide on Traore as much. Tactically not sure how good/quick Nuno is to change things to outwit the opposition??

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What I like about 4 at the back, is it was when defending...when attacking it was 2 against Soton...

..so attacking we played a kind of 2-1-3-1-3

Would like see Traore always left up front as the out ball when defending, as Raul runs all over the pitch.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fancy Nuno to go with 4 at the back and transform our season...
Which of the central defenders do you drop, though? Coady is our captain and a great leader/ organiser. Boly has been a rock for many years and Kilman’s performances since he came in have been excellent.
Coady back in midfield as the DM and push Dendonker and Neves/ Moutinho forward a little?

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
A bit of trivia, When did the Arsenal keeper have to wear the away kit in goal? Well tonight apparantly, the Premier League won't let Arsenals orange or black keepers outfits be worn because of clashing with our kit and they wont let their green kit be worn either as Ruis wearing that one for us!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201129-152533_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201129-152533_Chrome.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 30

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the passing between Max, Boly and Rui was a bit sloppy and too close for comfort to Southampton getting the ball.But with Coady back, we could do 4 at the back, no problem.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For now I like the idea of a back 4 v teams that play for nils and I like it as a 80th-minute change type of thing, Coady off for an attacking option, but I don’t think we’re ready to change identities just yet.

Back
Top Bottom