Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Newcastle United Verdict

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two points dropped due to yet again trying to sit on a 1-0 lead. When will we learn? Lack of goals is starting to show as well. Raul apart who else is going to offer a more consistent goal threat? Podence and Neto simply have to offer more goals and we need goals from central midfield and wing back as well. I like Saiss but please play one of the left wing backs you have signed there now please Nuno and I would like to see more of Vitinha who from what I have seen and read may offer a better goal and creative threat. Surely need to be seeing more of these players we have signed soon? Silva? Where is he?

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We´re playing some kind of percentage football,and that will bite us from time to time.
Really really poor to fall back the way we did after Rauls goal.It cost us two points today,and it isn´t the first time.
It is poor falling to this against this Newcastle side..who were poor.
The way we are going we will struggle for goals all season.

Still a decent start to the season with 10 points.It is exactly what could be expected IMO.

Our MOTM is Pedro Neto.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
God this interviewer is terrible!

“The Newcastle goal, what did you think of that?”
“Raul Jimenezs goal, what did you think of that?”
“Your teams performance, what do you think of that?”

D

Deleted member 5276

So who would have guessed Steve Bruce would come to Molineux and park the bus? Then when he goes 1-0 down he resorts to hoof ball?

I don't think it was a free kick that led to their goal but Rui has to do much better than that but.... and it's a big but.... if we don't start putting games away, then this is the limit of this team. We have to develop that cutting edge and have some end product. When teams play against us like this, our back three needs to be prepared to step forward and take the space. Our midfield and fowards then need to make runs and we simply have to be smarter.

Really disappointing result and again, we let go an opportunity to do better. Just as we did in the FA Cup semi and just as we did last season where we should have finished top 6. We are in our third season in the Prem. now and these players have to show they really want it.

Rui 4 - Didn't have much to do but that free kick cost us 2 pts because he wasn't ready. And there is no excuse for that given how long it took to take it.
Kilman - 7 - Decent performance, did what he had to do well.
Coady - 6.5 - Daft free kick at the end to lead to their goal but that was a really easy game for him.
Boly - 6.5 - OK... but when he went forward he looked clumsy and gave it away too many times.
Saiss - 6 - Not his best game and one where we needed an attacking option. This isn't his remit and we saw what could happen when we played with a more attacking option when he came off.
Semedo - 6 - OK but really didn't threaten enough and some of his touches showed me why Barcelona were happy to let him go. Not that Koeman knows much about football anyway.
Dendonker 7 - Usual display and did his job well. Still want to see him getting into space and make more runs in games like this.
Neves - 7 - Thought he was decent but he didn't seem to want to shoot today. Defensively solid but we need more from him in games like this in an attacking sense.
Neto - 7 - Livewire with no end product. Tries but it just isn't cutting edge enough up front.
Podence - 7 - Some outrageous skill at times but as for Neto...where's the end product?
Jimenez - 7 - Good goal but some poor efforts earlier in the game. No lack of effort and although he scored, he needs to do more in games like this.
Marcal - 6 - Better energy when he came on but was prone to lose the ball too much.
Traore - 4 - Disappointing. I'll say nothing else.
Moutinho - Not enough time.

Nuno - When you settle for 1-0 this is what you sometimes get. This was a poor Newcastle team who offered next to nothing.... and yet they walk away with a point. Far too defensive, partic. after we scored.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should have won.

But we are so boring a predictable to watch, especially against sides who come for a 0-0.

The off the ball movement is non existent at times or very basic. We just try the same thing time and time again, we need some invention.

That said. We are head an shoulders above the shower that is Newcastle.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bad.
Dull.
But should have won.

Possesion football played badly is worse than any other style of football. It's the "ooooh, this looks promising" only for it to be inevitably slowed down with an extra touch, or another turn.

RP should stop the chance. It has not been hit hard. Other than that he had nowt to do.
Semedo looked better but there is a lot to go from him.
Saiss did alright
Boly coady Kilman all did alright, but Newcastle didn't offer anything going forward.
Neves and donk were okay in midfield.
Neto podence and jimi were a mixed bag. They had a lot of the ball in good places. Some neat turns, tricks and flicks but not much that hurt Newcastle. Jimi's take for the goal was probably the most difficult of his half-chances, but he scored a beaut.
Traore was poor when he came on. Can't say I noticed much from Marcal.

We should be banned from playing Newcastle. Just give us two points each at the start of the season; our games against them lately are always crap.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played some nice football at times, just lacked that bit of quality in the final third. Just not enough good chances to score.

I know it's something that's been discussed to death in the past, but I really feel it was one of those games in the second half where we could have sacrificed a central defender for another attacker. I know it will never happen. Instead of Traore coming on for either Neto or Podence we should have been looking to bring Traore on to play alongside Neto and Podence with Jimenez up top. Give the Newcastle defence something different to worry about. But as I said, it will never happen so we need to find a solution to this problem we have at not creating enough chances. It's something we have suffered from the last couple of seasons in games.

MOTM is a tough one. Plenty of good performances. I thought Dendoncker played well so I'll give it to him.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted at their equaliser, and I think it was a soft free kick. Rui had bad luck with the save, 99 out of 100 that gets saved instead of glancing past.

We kept possession well enough and I could see where the difference in our play is starting to show, Rome wasn't built in a day so I expect it will take a good few more games until we really notice a difference. The slight changes we're making will be having an affect all over the pitch so our forward boys will also be needing time to adjust.

Not doom and gloom at all, in fact apart from dropping the 2 points I'm quite positive.
Remember, a naturally defensive minded coach is searching for a way we haven't played since we came up.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some decent build-up play, but wayward in front of goal. Jimi, Neto and Podence guilty of missing presentable chances. Great strike by Jimi, but then sat back expecting one goal to be enough. Rui lined-up the wall and then got a hand to the Murphy shot which he should have saved. Disappointing, but expected one point.

Rui - 5- Not much to do, but at fault for the Newcastle goal. Jinxed by praise on another thread. ;)
Boly - 7- Somewhat back to his best.
Coady - 7 - Good match other than giving away a soft free kick for the equaliser.
Kilman - 7 - Grew into the match. A little safe at the outset, but more adventurous after HT.
Semedo - 7.5 - Getting better match by match. Has something.
Saiss - 6 - Did nothing particularly poorly, but little attacking threat.
Neves - 8 - Ran his socks off and some delightful passes.
Dendoncker - 7 - Did what he does.
Neto - 7.5- Tricky throughout. High work rate, but could have hit the target with a couple of shots.
Podence - 7 - See Neto. One turn left Murphy inside out.
Jimenez - 6.5 - Missed several good chances, but hit a decent shot for what should have been the winner.

Subs;

Traore - 6 - Didn't do too much. A couple of trademark runs and crosses.
Marcal - 6 - Looks more like a LWB than Saiss.
Moutinho - N/A - Little time.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On my stream it's a Newcastle love in. Shearer and Dublin so what do you expect.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Confirms that Moutinho has a play every game stipulation in his contract anyway

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can anybody explain to me:

1. Why we took Podence off at all
2. Why we kept 3 CB's on the pitch against that utter dross

Stupid, stupid draws costing us again because we can't create sufficient enough chances against dreadful teams. Get used to it, until one day we recognise the glaringly obvious need for a different midfielder.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me, was that a penalty when the ball hit a defenders arm/hand? Didn't see it but according to the radio it was. Please, someone tell me.
No. If that had been given against us we'd be on here baying for blood.
The ball hit his arm but his back was to the ball and he was falling down.

R

reanswolf

Mixed emotions - concerned about the limited chances we create, but angry that we let that lead slip against a very limited Newcastle. We ground them down eventually but then showed a fragile late selves again.

Rui - 6 - didnt do anything wrong except should have saved that late free kick and set the wall up better.
Semedo - 7 - steady and got stuck in
Saiss - 6 - understandably out of position so limited in that position.
Boly - 7 - dominated everything in the air
Kilman - 7 - another steady performance
Coady - 7 - silly foul to give away for the goal, though in fairness barely touched him
Neves - 7 - steady performance
Dendoncker - 5 - sorry but felt he was anonymous. Grafts hard but negligable influence
Neto - 8 - probably our best player.
Podence - 7 - few tricks but gave ball away a lot
Jimenez - 7 - lovely goal worthy of match-winner

Mixed emotions, can't see how we can evolve with the same central midfield, I still adamantly feel that. That was the key area we needed to evolve so we can dominate games more. We just don't get people in the box. So not progressed tho not gone backward.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
If Ait-Nouri is the type of player we all hope and think he is, it will make a huge difference to our attacking threat. The current formation is crying out for someone who can play high on the left in the same way Semedo did on the right today.

Would give us a pretty fluid front five if Podence and Neto are playing (with Dendoncker and Neves who both played well today sitting behind as insurance as the wing-backs push on).

Reactions: DPE

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alt nouri has to start . You can’t play cbs at left wing back ffs
That's the negative we really need to move away from.
I'm guessing Nuno kept Saiss there due to his defensive ability, but giving the left side a more fluid attacking player will also help free up our right side.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serves us right for playing a CB at LWB at home to that shower.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know there is a bit of a disappointment but I don't see why there is quite so much negativity. At least you can see us improving with games and time on the training ground. We look much fmuch fitter for one thing. There were signs of Samedo getting into the swing of our system. We had plenty of decent build up play involving Podence and Neto. I think it is slowly coming together and we have plenty of points on the board considering how we have played.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno is going to have to make some big calls soon. He has agreed to sign these players in the summer and we have hardly seen any of them yet. Vitinha cant even make the bench now and Silva never gets a kick. Yes both are young but we have paid big sums of money for them and so long as we remain so short on goals the clamour will grow to see what they and the likes of Ait Nouri, who is a proper attacking wing back can do. With the way we set up Nuno surely needs to realise that we need attacking threat from both wing backs and this means playing both Semedo and Ait Nouri in my opinion. He also has to decide if Podence and Neto are offering enough goal threat. I like both players but they have one goal between them so far this season. That isnt really good enough. Same can be said of Traore. Not nearly enough goals in this calendar year. If Raul doesnt score then who does? On the plus side we did show glimpses of good football today and we were the better side albeit against a poor Newcastle side. Some brave decisions for Nuno in the coming weeks of which I am sure he will undertake. You cant sign all these players for large sums of money and hardly have any of them have a kick.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Controlled the game, looked fluent for much longer periods of the game, got done by a poor goal from a poor decision.

Give it another four weeks of training sessions and you'll see a better side than last season.

Happy and disappointed.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serves us right for playing a CB at LWB at home to that shower.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

Surely Ait Nouri has to start on Friday? Palace a decent side but they will let us have possession. Onus will be on us to attack. Have to stop this too cautious attitude that seems to be prevalent in the team now and is costing us points.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the early 2000s, just after Rio Ferdinand had joined Utd, they were being overshadowed by a glossy, attacking Arsenal team. But they were still grinding out results, at the top of the table. A tv interviewer was pressing and pressing, asking Rio "What's going wrong, why are you (Utd) playing so badly?" And Rio was getting more and more frustrated.

Eventually he huffed and snapped. "What are you on about? We're winning. Football is about points, not performances."

He was castigated everywhere afterwards, mostly by Utd fans. Even Fergie came out and said something along the lines of "Eh, he's new, he'll get it soon enough." Because Utd prided themselves on attacking, and performance mattered, especially compared to Arsenal.

I think we're feeling some of that now. When you're a struggling team, it's less about how you play and more about the points you grind out. We're now a team which has graced the PL for two seasons, and we should be providing more than huff and puff goal-a-game scruff-fests. 1-0 is better than 3-2 in terms of getting a clean sheet, being solid... but who wouldn't take a five goal thriller, and scoring goals, over sterility and tedium?

No idea how this season will pan out, and we're pretty much where we should be in the table, but my God, this is turgid stuff.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Comfortably the better side and should have seen it out. I'm not having any of this "we sat back" nonsense. Their goal came from a soft free kick from a long ball, they didn't push us back, didn't get crosses in, weren't having shots, it was just lucky from them where a nothing ball gave them a half chance which we contrived to let in.

Overall the result is gutting, we should have won and deserved to win (not saying it was a great performance, but we were easily the better side). Some positives though, a much better performance than against Fulham, better interplay, better movement and a couple of spells of genuinely decent possession football. Hopefully we'll step it up again against Palace

MOM Neto

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not positive enough today the three points were there for the taking... Saiss shouldn't have started and the wrong LWB replaced him(subs were all wrong today imo).... we struggled to create chances Silva should have come on along side Jimenez try something different to break them down!

The lack of goals in the first half is a worry and leaving it so late to score gives us no chance to kill the game and that what happens a mistake by Patricio gets them level and we got no chance to respond..

Jimenez reaction as he went off showed his frustration we arent creating enough chances..

R

reanswolf

As they said just, Wolves need someone like Bruno Fernandes. But of course look how much he cost.
Someone in the middle who can drive with the ball & create a spark. Every thing else is good. But its like watching a Rolls-Royce being powered by a Fiat Punto engine.

Back
Top Bottom