Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Your most memorable World Cup game

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the other World Cup threads, I'm hoping there is room for this one too.

I'm interested to know what is your most memorable world cup game and why? It doesn't have to be for an obvious reason, but maybe there is something significant for you.

For me, the one game that has stuck with me my whole life was the 82 world cup game between Italy and Brazil. I was only a youngster but was mesmerised by the brilliant Brazilian team - Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior, Eder, Cerezo, Oscar, etc. The fluidity of their play, pace, movement and individual skills had a lasting impression on me. So much so that I was determined to travel to Brazil one day and find out more about the people, a dream that I achieved 15 years later. The game itself was an end to end thriller and ultimately a heartbreaker (finishing 3-2 for Italy), and was memorable for me as its the first game that I remember actually made me cry with tears of sadness for the great Brazilian team who would surely have been the World Champions if they didn't have the Brazilian Tony Lange in goal for them.

So that's mine, what's you most memorable World Cup game?

K

Knocker Lite

Having travelled to Blackpool as a young boy I found that in the front lounge of the guest house there was a small black and white television set. All the blokes found a place to sit and we enjoyed the 1966 World Cup final. It felt good post match to think of yourself as a World Champion. What a match and what controversy and drama, tremendous.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the other World Cup threads, I'm hoping there is room for this one too.

I'm interested to know what is your most memorable world cup game and why? It doesn't have to be for an obvious reason, but maybe there is something significant for you.

For me, the one game that has stuck with me my whole life was the 82 world cup game between Italy and Brazil. I was only a youngster but was mesmerised by the brilliant Brazilian team - Zico, Socrates, Falcao, Junior, Eder, Cerezo, Oscar, etc. The fluidity of their play, pace, movement and individual skills had a lasting impression on me. So much so that I was determined to travel to Brazil one day and find out more about the people, a dream that I achieved 15 years later. The game itself was an end to end thriller and ultimately a heartbreaker (finishing 3-2 for Italy), and was memorable for me as its the first game that I remember actually made me cry with tears of sadness for the great Brazilian team who would surely have been the World Champions if they didn't have the Brazilian Tony Lange in goal for them.

I remember that well.

... here enjoy it all over again.
Don't forget to scream... PAOLO ROSSI!!!!

But the real killer memory match is the one that seemed even more impossible. The final against the undefeatable Germans.

Last edited:

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah... I think I see what's happening here ;)

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1970 England v Brazil or should I say Pele v Banks

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 1974 final.
The first final with the current trophy as Brazil had been allowed to keep the Jules Rimet after winning it 3 times in 1970 but more so that it was being reffed by our butcher from the corner of Staveley Rd and Francis St.

D

Deleted member 4453

Perhaps England v Sweden in 2002 or Argentina that followed. It was the first World Cup where I started to 'watch' football as such. As a young kid you have high expectations for England and although we Drew Sweden & beat Argentina (penalty) I still felt very excited.

Think as a standalone match including any nation I'd perhaps pick the Dutch smashing the Spanish in the last World Cup. I was on holiday at the time so I was just enjoying a couple of Cuba Libre's and relaxing and I was utterly astonished with what played out that night. Van Persies header, Robben tearing Spain a complete new one. I couldn't stop talking about it all the way back to the hotel with that kind of half laugh, gasp and smile thing you do when you don't know what you've just seen. Ever so slightly like the feeling after Cardiff away match in April.

I do believe after that yesterday and the Spain/Portugal match at the beginning we aren't done with this year's and we may all be treated to something special by someone or even one of the smaller lot.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about most memorable overall, lots to choose from. but playing Belgium again did bring back memories of the 1990 game and David Platts late vollied goal. I don't remember many more tense games watching England, the look f delight and relef on Linekers face, and Bobby Robson doing his little dance down the touchline

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
First one that I really remember was the 3-3 between Brazil and France in 1986. The teams of Careca and Platini.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first game that made an impact was Hungary and Brazil in the groups in 1966 when Brazil were going for a hatrick of wins and the semi final England and Portugal -I was packed off to scout camp and missed the final.

1970 -the semi West Germany 3 Italy 4 was a great game.

1982 -England 3 France 1 first game in the groups -Robson scored after 13 seconds.If Keegan and Brooking had been fit we could have won that tournament.

After that its a bit of blur.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boss Hogg.

That was my favourite Brazil team. Great players and such skill. The game I remember was earlier in the 82 tournament when Eder and Falcao scored blinders. Don’t recall the opposition though

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scotland v Holland in 1974. Archie Gemmill's goal was fantastic. For a brief moment it looked like the Scots could go through.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
The Semifinal against Germany in 1990 for me as well. We were so damned close to winning that. Felt so sick during the game with anticipation- only to be let down again. Even my Mum, who couldn’t give a toss about football was gripped by that game. Bully being in the squad made it even more exciting.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
First time i really noticed football as a lil kid was when my older brothers and dad were watching a game and Roberto Baggio missed a penalty. Think he might have been the first footballer I could name... Hooked ever since.

C

Chardee MacDennis

My pick for memorable game not involving England would be Scotland 0 Costa Rica 1 in 1990.

This was long before Costa Rica had a team as strong as these days and the Scots' escalating desperation was loads of fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read all the thead but 66 wins hands down for me

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was my favourite Brazil team. Great players and such skill. The game I remember was earlier in the 82 tournament when Eder and Falcao scored blinders. Don’t recall the opposition though[/QUOTE]

Think you could be talking about Brazil 4 Scotland 1 when Eder hit a scorcher from outside the box all along the ground and Eder chipped Roughie from outside the box.

The afternoon of Monday July 5th 1982 is one etched in sadness, it was a baking hot day as my Uncle and I settled to watch the match. Rossi scored very early on then Socrates ( has the ever been a cooler more languid player in football history ? ) made it 1-1. That clown Serginho missed at least two golden chances. Serginho looked and played like the sort of kid who back in my school days would be one of the last picked and even then no one really wanted them on the team. Careca blew his knee out before the 82 tournament and there is little doubt having seen how good he was in 86 and 90 that glorious Brazil side of 1982 would have been World Champions. I say glorious, yet they did have a massive achilles heel the defence was not the best and Waldir Peres the goalkeeper looked like someone's Dad who had agreed to play in his son's team to help them out. The spine of that team had two damaged vertebra the centre forward and the keeper. Rossi made it 2-1 after a ridiculous pass across the back got intercepted. My Uncle and I looked at each other knowingly that Brazil would score again which they did as Roberto Falcao who played for Torino hit a screamer ( the guy like a certain Mr Neves does now did not do tap ins ! ) A draw was enough yet Brazil seemed incapable of playing for one. Inevitably the Brazil defence made another error deciding to leave Rossi unmarked in the box to allow him to score the decisive goal that ended the odyssey of the best attacking side I have ever seen.

Zico, Eder, Socrates, Falcao, Cerezo and Junior ( who was a wonderful attacking full back, who sadly could not defend as well as he could attack ! ) are names that still make me smile 36 years later.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from '66 it was just about every game Argentina played in winning it in 1978.
The atmosphere was unbelievable - the ticker- tape etc etc and the football was electric with Kempes, Villa, Ardilles & co they were an awesome team.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from '66 it was just about every game Argentina played in winning it in 1978.
The atmosphere was unbelievable - the ticker- tape etc etc and the football was electric with Kempes, Villa, Ardilles & co they were an awesome team.
Even when the 6-0 game against Peru was fixed. Hate the team with a passion for many reasons.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an Irishman this was great and Guzeppi you have great taste. However, for me Mexico1970 was also very special. England v Brazil,....wow...star studded game....Banks, Pele,Moore, etc...
And the final...what a game.

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Snap.

Jefoe

Groupie
Reaction score
After reading the OP, the first match that came to mind was Senegal beating France in 2002. Was truly a shock and no one saw that French capitulation coming surely.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Roger Milla in 1990, in particular
Cameroon v Columbia 1990 and 2 extra time goals for Roger Milla

Then nearly doing for England in the Quarter final (1 goal 1 assist to go 2-1 up) before our 2 late penalties

Last edited:
S

StockholmWolf

That was mine too. I absolutely love that team. The most exciting Brazilian team ever. They should have played more defensive at 2-2 but it wasn't part of their philosophy. Tele Santana was a great manager as well. I was gutted after that match. The rest of the tournament was an anti climax.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boss Hogg.

That was my favourite Brazil team. Great players and such skill. The game I remember was earlier in the 82 tournament when Eder and Falcao scored blinders. Don’t recall the opposition though

1982 Brazil v USSR, Eder and Socrates strikes, pure class and well worth a watch on YouTube.

T

TurboTaco91

Ireland vs Germany 2002. Robbie Keane's last minute equaliser

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
France V West Germany 1982 semi final.
Germans won 5-4 on penalties after the game finished 3-3, amazing game famous for Schumacher nearly decapitating Battiston and not even conceding a free kick!

The Radiator

Reaction score
First full game I watched was the France 98 Brazil Vs Scotland opener, great game think Scotland got unlucky.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Attended the Spain v West Germany game in Chicago 1994. Crowd were amazing.

England did not qualify but a large national store briefly had Emgland World Cup 1994 T shirts on sale. I don't know why I didn't buy one.

Back
Top Bottom