Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Your Most Exciting Signing

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So there is no doubt that the past few days have been met with a degree of utter jubilation with Moutinho signing and with links to Pepe and other ridiculous names that I never imagined in my wildest dreams of being a wolves fan that we ended up signing which got me thinking.
Which signing in your years of supporting wolves prior to the money rolling in with Fosun were you most exicited about at the time regardless of whether or not it worked out.

For me it would be Steven Fletcher on the back of his heroics for Burnley the season before and the fact that at the time it felt like we were really building a solid premiership team with a class striker who I felt would make us stand out from all the other struggling premier league teams.

Paul Ince/Irwin- Legendary players who I remember seeing being first class at Man Utd coming in to wolves making me feel that we still must be worthy of some form of respect given the amount of offers they must have got

Sami Al Jabbeer- Simply because the guy was so big that talks that the Saudi Arabian prince was going to get a season ticket and join in the south bank sing song. The guy turned out to be rubbish but the coverage when we signed him was hilarious

T

TurboTaco91

Patricio for me, the guy is a top 10 goalkeeper in the world and he's only 31! He's just hitting his prime. Even when we pay 18million for him it will be an absolute bargain

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho - nothing else comes close. We have never signed such a high calibre player in our history (*I think*)
Moutinho and Patricio are hands down the biggest signings in the club's history IMO. Decorated players with caps and trophies galore still in their prime having just played in a world cup. Nobody would have batted an eyelid had they gone to Chelsea or Arsenal, to come to Wolves is an undisputed statement of intent.

K

Knocker Lite

Steve Bull. I knew about his goalscoring with Tipton, saw he wasn't getting much of a chance at the Albion and was happy to read Wolves were looking to sign him. The rest is history, he gave the fans hope again.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Moutinho
2. Irwin
3. Neves
4. Doyle

Ranked in order of most excited at the time of signing.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Emlyn Hughes
Andy Gray
Geoff Thomas
Paul Ince

As good as our recent signings have been, I dont think any have really caught the entire nations attentions like the above.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which signing in your years of supporting wolves prior to the money rolling in with Fosun were you most exicited about at the time regardless of whether or not it worked out.

Think people may have missed the highlighted part of the question.

Paul Ince and Dennis Irwin have to be up there in recent history.

Paul Gascoigne playing for the reserves and attempting to earn a contract deserves a mention too.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ask me again in 3 weeks when I believe it will have been made.

But to answer the actual question prior to the Fosun days it was Geoff Thomas. I really thought we’d do it that season and become something special. 24 years later I have the same feeling.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves followed quickly by Boly last season was a realisation these people were going for it. Prior to that probably Emlyn Hughes or Andy Gray which was around the years I felt we could seriously compete. Did get excited the year we signed Thomas, Froggett and Daley as well. Thought we were on our way back.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Walter Zenga.
(hides under the table as tomatoes fly everywhere)

Joking, sort of.
pre fosun: Andy Grey
Post fosun: Neves.

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Genuinely, O’hara and Johnson. **** me

E

E is for idiot.

I remember being pretty excited when we signed Robert Niestroj. I was only a kid though.

Reaction score
Tony Daley for me. We were definitely going to be back in the big time. Look how that worked out!

S

Snarlingwolf

Derek Dougan.

I was 16years old and doing a paper round.
I was hoping and hoping Wolves would buy him. Each day I would look through the football pages in ALL the newspapers to see if we had got him. Then, one day I read that we had bought him and I can remember being absolutely “over the moon”! :cool: A feeling that has only been replicated twice since:-
(1) When we announced officially that we had bought Neves; :cool:
(2) Yesterday, about 6.38pm. :cool:

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Geoff Thomas/Froggatt/Daley/Dave Kelly in a short period of time.

Saved myself a fortune by not calling Club Call as I was stuck in the Falklands

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Roger Johnson pre-Fosun I have to admit. Thought we’d signed the top centre back in the league outside of the the top 6. I was wrong.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very wrong. Hang your head in shame!

I don't think you were the only one but how many will confess, I wonder.
Me for one. I thought the same about Berra which inspired this thread to be honest I was buzzing and thought that season we would be different class.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me: Jimmy Melia from Liverpool £55,000 in 1964. Didn't work out and was sold 7 months later, to Southampton for £30,000.
Next has to be Doog in 1967 from Leicester £50,000, which he described as his best move!

John Richards 1974

Reaction score
Steve Kindon - Bobby Gould - Willie Carr - Andy Gray - Dave Thomas - Emlyn Hughes and for the ladies Bob McNab

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None.

Neves 5 year deal is the biggest 'deal' in our history. He will be worth £150m after a season in the Prem.

M

manky codpiece

For me: Jimmy Melia from Liverpool £55,000 in 1964. Didn't work out and was sold 7 months later, to Southampton for £30,000.
Next has to be Doog in 1967 from Leicester £50,000, which he described as his best move!
Remember both very well,I think Chris Crow came in about the same time as Jimmy Melia,Jimmy from Liverpool and Chris from Blackburn,didn't both go on to
play for England ?
Probably the Doog for me too or Bill Slater who was the amateur England captain and a distant relative.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember leaving school one afternoon many years ago and the board outside the newsagents had a poster on it with something like

Wolves
£1mil
Ndah

Then it was a case of walking home and waiting an hour or so for the paper to be delivered so I could read all bout it.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves was the bigger signing because of the stage of their careers

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Andy Gray.
Must agree - remember vividly that we won 3-2 (?) at Highbury and AG scored. Leaving the ground an Arsenal fan queried why the Wolves had been able to sign him above Arsenal etc. I could only secretly agree. (sadly it all went pear shaped a season or two later).

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, the era of Froggie, Thomas, etc. seemed such an exciting time with such big-name players.

But...

This might sound odd but I can remember just how excited i was that Paul Birch signed from Villa! And his debut did nothing to dispel my excitement...

Back
Top Bottom