Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Your England starting 11

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst I realise there are certain games where different formations/personnel are required ahead of others. What would your general starting line up at the World Cup be for England? Regardless of how realistic it is that Southgate picks it...

I'd go -

Pickford

TAA Walker Stones Tomori Trippier

Rice Bellingham

Saka Kane Foden

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pickford
Walker Stones Killman Trippier
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Sterling
Kane

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A bit facetious but

Ramsdale
James Tomori Kilman Chilwell
Grealish Bellingham Maddison Mount Saka
Kane

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ramsdale
James Tomori Coady Kilman Trippier
Foden Rice Bellingham
Kane Grealish

T

TheConcourse

Ramsdale
Walker Stones Kilman Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Grealish
Kane

Kane will play largely on reputation, but it blows my mind that he’s got the power to create this role for himself as a #10. Gareth is a weak manager who doesn’t seem to realise that Spurs have better forwards capable of creating opportunities for Kane to feed them. We don’t have that. It’s a totally different profile of player.

He drops so deep at times to the detriment of the team and to the delight of the opposition CB’s. It’s almost like a carbon copy of Wolves.

Would love to see a more physical presence occupy the CB’s - someone like Toney. Or even someone who is willing to run the other way and stretch teams. We don’t have that now.

I think we’ll leave the tournament disappointed if we play Kane in the striker/non-striker role.

Random option:

Ramsdale
Rice Bellingham Foden
Toney Kane Rashford

That front 3 has it all, and allows Kane to drop deep if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pickford
James Tomori Kilman Chilwell
Bellingham Rice Foden
Saka Kane Sterling​

Kilman won’t be going to Stones more realistically.

Chilwell or Shaw is flip of a coin, I’ve always though Shaw has been decent for England. Fitness will be a key factor for both.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that Trent Alexander-Arnold won't even be in the World Cup squad. Southgate doesn't rate him.
Looking at some of the utter donkeys the Waistcoat does rate TAA goes up in my estimation. Southgate will never make a manager while he has a hole in his ****.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Should Kilman have been involved in England squads by now? - YES. Should he be in the starting 11 and therefore making his debut ? - don't be daft.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can anyone confidently tell me Tomori is good, I dont think I have seen him play.
I am just wandering if people are putting him in as he plays for AC Milan...so must be good. Surely Smalling is worth a shout then? (No idea if fit, just based on last season)

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m just bemused people have picked Sterling. He spends more time on the floor or passing to the other team….

Probably because his goals contributions by far outweigh any other player in his position by a factor of 3. Both in the Premier and for England.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pickford
James tomori stones trippier
Rice Bellingham
Sterling foden saka
Kane

Left back and cb are the only positions up for debate IMO
I’m the same but maybe Shaw or Chilwell (if they play) for Trippier.

Everywhere else picks itself Id say.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get why James is the preferred full back. For me is he bottom of the admittedly good pile of right backs we have.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Pickford
James, Stones, White, Chilwell
Rice, Bellingham
Saka, Foden, Grealish
Kane

Ramsdale, Henderson
TAA, Trippier, Shaw
Walker, Tomori, Dier
Henderson, Eze, Maddison, Mount
Sterling, Abraham, Rashford

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pickford

James Stones Kilman Chilwell

Bellingham Rice Ward-Prowse

Kane Grealish
Rashford

The Finkler

Reaction score
Pickford
White Dier Stones
James Chilwell
Rice
Bellingham
Mount Foden
Kane

5 at the back doesn't have to be defensive just want to see the attacking midfielders (the whole team thinking about it) play further up the pitch with Bellingham who looks like our most dangerous/influential player at the moment and one both willing and able to make things happen. Mount and Foden could easily be Saka or Grealish or any combination for me as well - players with the ability to unlock a defence.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get why James is the preferred full back. For me is he bottom of the admittedly good pile of right backs we have.

I've always thought this.

If we play a back 5 then it's ludicrous not to start Alexander Arnold given his creative ability. And if we play a back 4 then I'd prefer Walker for his pace and 1v1 ability as a defender.

James is the middle ground, which is exactly why safety first Southgate will go with him.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My choice:
4-3-3
Foden in the midfield 3 (keeping the ball and playing through the lines).

It's funny, but 90% of the sides picked above on this thread would do better than the pragmatic, get goal side, keep your shape, low block, cower under the table tactics that we'll be playing in the World Cup under Southgate when we meet meaningful opponents.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gotta be a 5 at the back, we're blessed with attaching wing backs and ****e CB's and have dynamic players in CM.

Foden needs to step up, really hasn't developed anywhere near as he was destined.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Random option:

Ramsdale
Rice Bellingham Foden
Toney Kane Rashford

That front 3 has it all, and allows Kane to drop deep if needed.
We'd get destroyed out-wide against the likes of Portugal, Brazil, France and a fair few others. Looks far too narrow

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
I think that if you play Grealish, you have to have Ward-prowse in the team for free kicks.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you're playing 5 at the back i have zero idea how TAA isn't in the team. His assists and creativity are as good as just about anyone. James really doesn't offer that, as good as he is defensively.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the current squad.....

Ramsdale

Walker---Stones---Tomori---Chilwell

Rice---Bellingham

Saka---Foden---Mount

Kane​

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Maguire even gets past passport control, I will flip my lid

W

WasStefan

TAA is the biggest myth going

Pickford
Walker Kilman Stones Trippier
Rice Bellingham
Sterling Foden Saka
Kane

W

WasStefan

Gotta be a 5 at the back, we're blessed with attaching wing backs and ****e CB's and have dynamic players in CM.

Foden needs to step up, really hasn't developed anywhere near as he was destined.
Foden? you must be watching a different player to me. He’s frighteningly good

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TAA is the biggest myth going

Pickford
Walker Kilman Stones Trippier
Rice Bellingham
Sterling Foden Saka
Kane
That should be the lineup but Southgate has made an absolute mess with Max as no way can he Chuck him in so close to a World Cup now.

Reactions: Ian
W

WasStefan

That should be the lineup but Southgate has made an absolute mess with Max as no way can he Chuck him in so close to a World Cup now.
Agree. It’ll be that lineup with Maguire or Dier for Kilman.

Trippier has to play because no one else in that lineup has good dead ball deliveries. Ward Prowse isn’t the answer, his overall game is significantly lacking versus other options we have in that area of the pitch

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. It’ll be that lineup with Maguire or Dier for Kilman.

Trippier has to play because no one else in that lineup has good dead ball deliveries. Ward Prowse isn’t the answer, his overall game is significantly lacking versus other options we have in that area of the pitch
It’ll be Maguire because waistcoat is a bottle job and will use the “we know what we’re getting” line to pick him. Dier has actually really progressed under Conte and I wouldn’t be against him starting either.

Totally agree on Ward Prowse, real strange love in for him in this country. Outside of his undoubted dead ball quality is a very average central midfielder.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom