Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you swap places with Albion?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we're top of the league and optimism levels through the roof so a question has to be, would you swap our current position (in terms of the whole kit and kaboodle) with Albion's?

My opinion is that for the seasons since we left the Prem we'd have bitten our collectives arms off to be where they are. They're an established mid-table Prem team season and that isn't going to change any time soon. But this envy started to dissipate when Fosun, Nuno and Uncle Jorge came along and transformed the future of the club.

Now I look at West Brom and see a team that has reached the zenith of their powers, a zenith that will not be nearly good enough for Fosun. They will not and cannot go forward from where they are, their new owner seemingly a continuation of the prudent Peace years. Added to this they have the very epitome of a functional manager serving up dull football and only 24k are bothering to show up these days.

Conversely I look at us and see a club that's now managed incredibly well from top to bottom, playing and non-playing side, all with an eye to taking Wolves to the very top of the game, willing to spend what it takes. We play a brand of football that has started to turn the heads of the footballing world, possess some of the best young talent in Europe and a fan base that is returning in its thousands, with major ground development almost certain to follow. The difference in buzz around the two clubs is currently world's apart.

It's been pointed out that all our hysteria may be short-lived by the Chinese government clamping down on all this foreign spending, but as Jeff Shi pointed out this is only with regard to Chinese currency, so as Fosun's main investments are non-Chinese then doesn't affect them or us at all. Whereas not such good news for Albion whose owner's company is wholly Chinese.

They've said for a while that we're light years behind them and probably rightly so. However I firmly believe we're now less than a calendar year behind. They'll read comments like mine and laugh, say they've heard this a million times and to jog on. But we're a totally different beast now, entirely rid of the old guard, along with their way of thinking and managing. We might not have moved ground or changed our name but we're essentially a different club now.

The future is bright, the future is most definitely orange.

(I think we can all agree that was completely subjective and no Albion fan can have cause for argument)

W

WednesfieldWolf

Not a chance. Yes they might be in the premier league at this very moment and seeing world class players most weeks (thanks to the opposition), but they really are going backwards. They've signed all these supposedly good players like that Polish fella (don't think I've seen him have a good game yet) but the football is truly horrific, they're getting the **** took out of them every week by pundit, fans and bookies on social media. Their Chinese owner will soon get fed up of draws and losing, and sack the 40pt man and they'll drop like a stone, that's if they don't become the first club to get relegated under the 40pt man.

If somehow we're both in the premier league next season, we will easily and comfortably finish above them. Fosun will spend the cash and mendes will be able to send even higher quality player to the molineux. Their time is running out.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No and never, they have won **** all since 68 , and their brief is simply to stay in the PL every year. Eventually they will be relegated and struggle to ever get back up, that day can;t come too soon
They show very little signs of ambition, and each decent player they sign is Pulisised into boredom and negativity
Soon, the planets will re align and they have a few years of **** taking and come uppance awaiting

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some member on here last year had a meltdown saying we were light years away from them (about mid Feb i reckon) to which I laughed and said nonsense, in two transfer windows we could catch and pass them. I still stand by that.

Football is a quick moving sport a few years ago when Dan Ashworth was there and they started bringing players like Lukaku in you couldnt help being envious but since hes gone, TP has done what he does and bored everyone to death alongside the ambition of Fosun and connection with Mendes, no way on earth would i swap.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely after all these years we can wait another few months.I want the **** in the premier with us so we can smash em 2 times a year.:D

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
No. The journey is more exciting than the final destination and our long-term potential is currently far greater.

I actually don't think there's that much difference between the current sides. If you were to put together a 'best of' XI, the split would be fairly even.

Foster
Dawson, Evans, Boly
Doherty, Krychowiak, Neves, Gibbs
Costa, Rondon, Jota

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would swap positions and leagues but I wouldn't want their team I would want to keep ours. The problem, should we get promoted, will be keeping our better players.

The Premier League, in my opinion, is turning into the Scottish Premier League when Rangers and Celtic were at their height. Any half decent player at an opposing team is immediately bought by one of the top clubs, often never to feature in their first team - e.g. Kenny Miller, bought by Rangers and loaned to Wolves. is this genuine interest in a player or a way of keeping lesser teams weak? I think the latter.

Albion, and all credit to them, have survived in the Premier League by playing, solid, functional football which is often not pretty to watch but gets results and maintains their position. This has been achieved using solid Premier League players or players cast off by the top clubs as not good enough for their level, bolstered by the odd foreign (relatively) cheap buy. This has maintained them in the Premier League, earning the big bucks but damned by fans and pundits alike for their less than attractive play. It has meant , however, that there has been little outside interest in huge numbers of their players so they have been able to keep a settled side.

My worry is the more progressive teams that demonstrate a willingness to play attacking football, think Leicester, Southampton etc. have had their players picked off year on year by the big boys. Its a stretch to keep replacing them and Leicester and Southampton are finding this out now.

If we can get promoted this year I think the first season could well be exciting for the fans and club but, assuming our players step up we could have serious interest in them at the end of the season. Yes Fosun are rich but that's not the be all and end all, if Liverpool or United come a knocking for Jota its my guess he would want to go.

The Premiership is the promised land but, its also a minefield. You can (as we did under Morgan) do as little as you can, stay at the back and hope for the best, you can (like Albion) move forward but get bogged down halfway or keep pushing onwards in the quest for glory but accepting the risk of getting annihilated.

Interesting times ahead (I hope)

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uninspiring has recently become the West Brom Mantra. Where zest and flair have nothing to do with being solid. West Brom as a club are as interesting as shopping for soft furnishings in IKEA when breakfast is no longer being served. Fans who have abandoned any kind of objectivity just to belong to a club stranded in a vacuum which is bereft of hope, imagination, dreams, inspiration, extravagance and ambition. A Thrush or a Wolf ? Really ? - Its a bit like asking someone if they would rather have a brand new top of the range Skoda with one of those insurance company drive sensibly boxes installed or a second hand Aston Martin.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would rather eat my own filth than ever swap with them, the tide is turning folks!!!!

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, our caboodle is far superior to theirs, as far as the kit is concerned, the swear filter prevents adequate description.... (Mutchy out!;))

D

Deleted member 3751

That lot have only won three of their last twenty league games. They carry on at that rate we might overtake them sooner rather than later

R

robwolf

Not a ****ing chance!!!! One of the most enjoyable things about our rise will be seeing their twisted bitter faces as we sail on past them.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we're top of the league and optimism levels through the roof so a question has to be, would you swap our current position (in terms of the whole kit and kaboodle) with Albion's?

My opinion is that for the seasons since we left the Prem we'd have bitten our collectives arms off to be where they are. They're an established mid-table Prem team season and that isn't going to change any time soon. But this envy started to dissipate when Fosun, Nuno and Uncle Jorge came along and transformed the future of the club.

Now I look at West Brom and see a team that has reached the zenith of their powers, a zenith that will not be nearly good enough for Fosun. They will not and cannot go forward from where they are, their new owner seemingly a continuation of the prudent Peace years. Added to this they have the very epitome of a functional manager serving up dull football and only 24k are bothering to show up these days.

Conversely I look at us and see a club that's now managed incredibly well from top to bottom, playing and non-playing side, all with an eye to taking Wolves to the very top of the game, willing to spend what it takes. We play a brand of football that has started to turn the heads of the footballing world, possess some of the best young talent in Europe and a fan base that is returning in its thousands, with major ground development almost certain to follow. The difference in buzz around the two clubs is currently world's apart.

It's been pointed out that all our hysteria may be short-lived by the Chinese government clamping down on all this foreign spending, but as Jeff Shi pointed out this is only with regard to Chinese currency, so as Fosun's main investments are non-Chinese then doesn't affect them or us at all. Whereas not such good news for Albion whose owner's company is wholly Chinese.

They've said for a while that we're light years behind them and probably rightly so. However I firmly believe we're now less than a calendar year behind. They'll read comments like mine and laugh, say they've heard this a million times and to jog on. But we're a totally different beast now, entirely rid of the old guard, along with their way of thinking and managing. We might not have moved ground or changed our name but we're essentially a different club now.

The future is bright, the future is most definitely orange.

(I think we can all agree that was completely subjective and no Albion fan can have cause for argument)
No i would nt swap but we mustnt get carried away - we havent even been top a week yet. If we go up then the next step is to stay up. That wont be easy even with loads of cash. Personally i would just love us to win either cup again and establish ourselves as a top ten team. But play like we do now rather than Pulis’ anti-football. And the future is notorange its old gold (and black)

D

Deleted member 4152

'where was the wolves lovein after the cardiff,sheffield united and bristol city games?!

the only half decent teams they have played, all around them in the league and they got one (lucky) point out of 9!'

A genuine post from their forum. Seems to be forgetting Boro, derby, villa, hull games. You know the pre season favourites

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uninspiring has recently become the West Brom Mantra. Where zest and flair have nothing to do with being solid. West Brom as a club are as interesting as shopping for soft furnishings in IKEA when breakfast is no longer being served. Fans who have abandoned any kind of objectivity just to belong to a club stranded in a vacuum which is bereft of hope, imagination, dreams, inspiration, extravagance and ambition. A Thrush or a Wolf ? Really ? - Its a bit like asking someone if they would rather have a brand new top of the range Skoda with one of those insurance company drive sensibly boxes installed or a second hand Aston Martin.
Who wants thrush? Makes you itch

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No. The journey is more exciting than the final destination and our long-term potential is currently far greater.

I actually don't think there's that much difference between the current sides. If you were to put together a 'best of' XI, the split would be fairly even.

Foster
Dawson, Evans, Boly
Costa, Rondon, Jota
If I were to combine the two sides the best XI would be.

Ruddy
Batth Coady Miranda
Doherty Neves Saiss Vinagre
Cavaleiro Bonatini Jota

F*** the Albion.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Foster
Dawson, Evans, Boly
Costa, Rondon, Jota
By the end of the season Vinagre will be better than Gibbs, Triffic Tone is already making excuses for Gibbs, and I like him as a player but Tone will destroy him. And Cav before Rondon

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'where was the wolves lovein after the cardiff,sheffield united and bristol city games?!

the only half decent teams they have played, all around them in the league and they got one (lucky) point out of 9!'

A genuine post from their forum. Seems to be forgetting Boro, derby, villa, hull games. You know the pre season favourites

This is part of the fun for me, to see rival fans try to justify why they are better.

Deep down they all know what they've seen, they know what's coming.

D

Deleted member 4152

This is part of the fun for me, to see rival fans try to justify why they are better.

Deep down they all know what they've seen, they know what's coming.
Apparently neves would not make their starting 11. Probably true as neves is a midfielder that can pass the ball on the floor

R

reanswolf

If anyone says yes they should be banned from the forum!

I would swap places of course, but I would never want to swap situations or clubs.
Albion despite lording it over us and being the "pride of the midlands" (ha-ha!!) for twenty years are just such a boring non-event of a dull club for me right now, partly down to Pulis, partly due to their lack of support despite being in the top half. People say fans are bored as its all pre-determined, well it always has been really. So that's a **** excuse for not selling out 24000 home tickets in their top flight, superior position.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Momentum and infrastructure are bang in our favour.

We have youth, the best agent in the world, players that are investments who are likely worth up to five times what we paid, a superior academy, FAR more money (their Chinese gardener spent his entire £200m fortune buying the club, whilst our owners made five times that amount last year alone).

We play football.

They have a creaking old squad of journeymen that are screwing the club for an average of £60k per week and many of them are on lengthy contracts. They have a fanbase that are bored out of their skulls. They have thousands of empty seats every single home match. They have produced one decent player at academy level and he ended up at Chelsea because Albion are too busy playing 10-0-0 with a constant eye on the devastation that relegation would bring.

They do not play football - more akin to rollerball with a bit of WWE thrown in.

I sincerely hope that they stay up this season because next season is going to be hilarious as we do a massive double over them and send them down.

D

Deleted member 3518

Bless them, they can't help being inbred ****ers.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tough question but in all honestly and after giving it a lot of thought yes I would swap places with them.

Oh wait sorry i thought you said Man City lol.

S

Shifnal Wolf

I would rather swap with Accrington Stanley.

However you have to respect their time in the premiership, we aspire to that longevity.

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There’s an inevitability and they know it. We will go past them in a few years and they are already feeling the pain. For all of their years in so called ascendency they have nothing to show for it. They didn’t grow as a club, their ground hasn’t developed and their fan base is no bigger. Their attendencance is static and despite premier league status, they couldn’t attract owners with real ambition. They know what’s coming

M

Mr Wolf

I think some of you lot are getting completely carried away. 1 good win against a poor team doesn't mean anything.

It's not just West Brom the whole league is pretty boring now with the top 6 spots all sewn up before the season starts. Avoiding relegation is about that unless you get a really lucky cup draw.

D

Deleted member 3518

I think some of you lot are getting completely carried away. 1 good win against a poor team doesn't mean anything.

It's not just West Brom the whole league is pretty boring now with the top 6 spots all sewn up before the season starts. Avoiding relegation is about that unless you get a really lucky cup draw.

Not one win for me, been totally energised by what I've witnessed this season gone from Victor Meldrew to Brightside on speed in 3 months!!:D

R

reanswolf

I agree Craig, but its been sewn up for many years really, by the big clubs.
I agree we are getting a bit carried away, but it is strange that the Albion haven't evolved with a much bigger fan-base, I'm not really sure why?

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I were to combine the two sides the best XI would be.

Ruddy
Batth Coady Miranda
Doherty Neves Saiss Vinagre
Cavaleiro Bonatini Jota

F*** the Albion.
This. No Albion player would get into our team and I wouldnt want them. My Albion supporting relative (don't ask) can't stand the way they play, and thinks Rondon is the biggest donkey in years. But even he wanted us to beat Villa.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tell that to Leicester fans.

What's the point of being a football fan if you can't dream?

Back
Top Bottom